Makro Reviews

2.7
Makro Managing Director Juergen Schwarze
Juergen Schwarze
1 Rating

1. An absolute disgrace!!

Former Employee - Warehouse Operative in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Makro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none worth mentioning whatsoever.

Cons

DO NOT WORK AT MAKRO PRESTON!! I was unfortunately stuck working in this hellhole for 7 months. This job is mindnumbingly boring, the shifts drag, and the pay is terrible. The general staff for the most part are friendly despite the snitches and brown nosers. The HUGE problem with Makro Preston is at a management level. The managers are unfriendly, unhelpful, unprofessional, EXTREMELY poor at communicating and are outright bullies. They set completely unrealistic targets and expect you to work horrendous shifts with very short notice, making you feel bad when you say no. The managers provide absolutely no motivation whatsoever to succeed in your job and show no interest in yourself as an individual. These managers are also complete hyprocrites, telling you off when you stop to speak to a fellow worker for a few seconds yet these very same managers will happily stand around in the aisles for long periods of time chatting about topics not relating to work! The problems with Makro didn't end when I left for a better job. My new job requested a work reference months ago and Makro did not send anything. I ended up having to call the Makro reception on 7 separate occasions to chase this reference. The employees admitted that their HR department is understaffed and a complete mess. My old manager despite being asked multiple times always shrugged off the reference request, always stating that he is too busy. After my constant calls and pestering my manager finally said that he would write me a reference, saying that it "wouldn't be a nice reference but a brutally honest one". I still haven't received this reference to this day. This behavior from a manager is absolutely disgusting and I have never in my life witnessed so much unprofessional behavior from a business. I repeat, DO NOT WORK AT MAKRO PRESTON! Take this from someone who has been there and experienced the worst, and is happy to leave this complete mess of a business behind. I will never set foot in a Makro store ever again and I will spread the word and urge others to do the same.

Advice to Management

Quit and hire competent managers which aren't embarrassing.

2. Great company to work

Former Employee - General Manager in Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)

I worked at Makro

Pros

Deep focus on Operations and retail business

Cons

Few top level positions and sometimes conflictive corporate governance

Advice to Management

Design clear career opportunities abroad

3. Good career progression

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Makro

Pros

Developing your skills, gaining experience, people.

Cons

High expectations considering resources you have , long hours, no overtime.

Advice to Management

None

5. Good

Former Employee - TILL OPERATOR in Exeter, England (UK)
    Former Employee - TILL OPERATOR in Exeter, England (UK)

I worked at Makro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain new skills and meeting different types of people.

Cons

Could have bad bosses like anywhere

6. dont do it

Former Employee - Fishmonger in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Fishmonger in London, England (UK)

I worked at Makro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the work colleagues where the only reason i stayed as long as i did. they where skilled and passionate and willing to help anyone

Cons

they don't allow job progression. mess around with 3 month rolling contracts that you are never sure if it is going to be renewed. low rate of pay for skilled workers and managers have chips on their shoulders. finally they have been taken over by bookers so if you are employed by makro you are really working for bookers that are lowering the wages instead of increasing it

Advice to Management

listen to your staff before they all walk like they did at the charlton store

7. Understaffed but good people

Former Employee - Non-Food Customer Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Non-Food Customer Assistant in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Makro part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues within my store were good people to work with, managers were understanding and paid attention to development. Salary was reasonable.

Cons

The store was highly understaffed. Position was on non-food side, more often than not we were on call for understaffed checkouts which impacted our work-rate which then had to be explained to our managers. Took a long time for them to sort out a rota for on-call checkouts in which they alternated between departments for their back up staff

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to staffing levels. Stock system could be better, too much stock appeared to go missing and was often not found during stock takes.

8. Political one-upmanship constantly.

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Makro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very challenging and inside customers (buyers, ops team etc) are very accessible.

Cons

Poor work-life balance with management expected to work 70+ hours a week. Bullying culture prominent amongst higher management. Training almost none-existent. Days off spent with the phone switched off as it was almost certain you would receive several phone calls and requests to come in.

Advice to Management

Admittedly this was several years ago and I believe several things have changed but a culture change is needed throughout the whole company in order to prevent burn-out and very negative atmosphere in all stores.

9. Worst Company in UK!

I worked at Makro

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning. Definitely lost its former prestige mainly due to poor incompetent management.

Cons

Bad pay, poor conditions, poor shift patterns. Zero support from head office. Lack of empathy from managers to staff. Managers poorly trained and generally use 'bully boy' tactics to achieve results. Very high staff turn over due to the above. Senior management out of touch with grass roots due to a badly trained, incompetent middle management cadre of brown nosers and back stabbers. Has made over 50% of its staff redundant over last 5 years. 2014 is seeing the latest batch of redundancies. Now owned by Bookers Wholesalers. They have effectively bought the competition but inherited a 'chalice full of poison' instead. R.I.P Makro.

Advice to Management

Quit already! I have not witnessed any professional managers in the 7 years I worked for Makro. They are all a bunch of chancers who read from the same corrupt script!

10. Decent place to work part time

Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Checkout Operator in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Makro part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good holiday allowance and friendly supervisors who were always prepared to help. Well trained. Pay was comparable with other employers at the time

Cons

- Not flexible with hours. I requested to change my hours due to upcoming exams and my request was ignored.

11. fast learning behind the retail scene

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Antwerp (Belgium)
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Antwerp (Belgium)

I worked at Makro full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-possibility for close contact with high level management -fast learning -depth knowledge gaining -people management -international training and carreer opportunities

Cons

-company is big and therefor slow -old and conservative top management -outlook and future of the company are doubtfull

Advice to Management

move and let a young team of high potentials have a go with the companies mission ! otherwise it will just be a prolonged death

RSS Feed </> Embed