Makro

Be The First To
Add Photos

Makro Managing Director Hannes Floto

Hannes Floto

Good

TILL OPERATOR (Former Employee) Exeter, England (UK)

ProsGain new skills and meeting different types of people.

ConsCould have bad bosses like anywhere

dont do it

Fishmonger (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosthe work colleagues where the only reason i stayed as long as i did. they where skilled and passionate and willing to help anyone

Consthey don't allow job progression. mess around with 3 month rolling contracts that you are never sure if it is going to be renewed. low rate of pay for skilled workers and managers have chips on their shoulders. finally they have been taken over by bookers so if you are employed by makro you are really working for bookers that are lowering the wages instead of increasing it

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff before they all walk like they did at the charlton store

Understaffed but good people

Non-Food Customer Assistant (Former Employee) Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsMy colleagues within my store were good people to work with, managers were understanding and paid attention to development. Salary was reasonable.

ConsThe store was highly understaffed. Position was on non-food side, more often than not we were on call for understaffed checkouts which impacted our work-rate which then had to be explained to our managers. Took a long time for them to sort out a rota for on-call checkouts in which they alternated between departments for their back up staff

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to staffing levels. Stock system could be better, too much stock appeared to go missing and was often not found during stock takes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Political one-upmanship constantly.

Duty Manager (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsVery challenging and inside customers (buyers, ops team etc) are very accessible.

ConsPoor work-life balance with management expected to work 70+ hours a week. Bullying culture prominent amongst higher management. Training almost none-existent. Days off spent with the phone switched off as it was almost certain you would receive several phone calls and requests to come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmittedly this was several years ago and I believe several things have changed but a culture change is needed throughout the whole company in order to prevent burn-out and very negative atmosphere in all stores.

Worst Company in UK!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing worth mentioning. Definitely lost its former prestige mainly due to poor incompetent management.

ConsBad pay, poor conditions, poor shift patterns. Zero support from head office. Lack of empathy from managers to staff. Managers poorly trained and generally use 'bully boy' tactics to achieve results.
    Very high staff turn over due to the above.
    Senior management out of touch with grass roots due to a badly trained, incompetent middle management cadre of brown nosers and back stabbers.
    Has made over 50% of its staff redundant over last 5 years. 2014 is seeing the latest batch of redundancies.
    Now owned by Bookers Wholesalers. They have effectively bought the competition but inherited a 'chalice full of poison' instead.
    R.I.P Makro.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit already! I have not witnessed any professional managers in the 7 years I worked for Makro. They are all a bunch of chancers who read from the same corrupt script!

Decent place to work part time

Checkout Operator (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Pros- Good holiday allowance and friendly supervisors who were always prepared to help. Well trained. Pay was comparable with other employers at the time

Cons- Not flexible with hours. I requested to change my hours due to upcoming exams and my request was ignored.

fast learning behind the retail scene

Management Trainee (Former Employee) Antwerp (Belgium)

Pros-possibility for close contact with high level management
    -fast learning
    -depth knowledge gaining
    -people management
    -international training and carreer opportunities

Cons-company is big and therefor slow
    -old and conservative top management
    -outlook and future of the company are doubtfull

Advice to Senior Managementmove and let a young team of high potentials have a go with the companies mission !
    otherwise it will just be a prolonged death

A stop gap until you are ready to move on to bigger and better things.

General Assistant (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsI wouldn't really say there are many perks to working at Makro.

ConsStaff morale at an all time low, no job security, praise doesn't exist, belittled by management and customers treat you like dirt.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management that oversee departments needs to be removed. These people treat those of us at the bottom of the food change like second class, constantly telling you how bad of a job you are doing rather than offering praise and hinder development. Staff are not trained and generally pick the job up as they go a long with nor formal training.

Struggling to keep heads above water

Department Head (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsSome great employee and fellow team members

ConsPolitics and inflexible long term middle management

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a strategy and stick to it

Makro

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe people work together - some really good people there

Consbusiness model not kept up to date with changing economy - hopefully Booker will make a success of it

Worked for Makro? Contribute to the Community!