Malcolm Cisneros Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Arturo M. Cisneros

1. I gained valuable experience as a business professional while working at MC.

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros

Pros

I was not the most knowledgeable in my department and had a lot to learn. I instantly had guidance and support from my managers, supervisors and firm shareholders. They welcomed me into the company and helped me learn and grow as a business professional. My coworkers were easy to work with, everyone got a long, and it I felt that I could go to anyone for help if it was needed. At times the work was challenging to learn, but there was always someone to help me. The directors take their time to personally get to know each and everyone of their staff members and I really appreciated that. You did not feel like you were just another person in the officer, rather someone that the directors and shareholders made investments in and wanted to see succeed.

Cons

At times the workload can be heavy, but the firm offers overtime for those that need it.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your staff.

2. Inviting culture, poor pay

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Irvine, CA

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MC is a great place to gain experience in the legal profession. If you have little to no experience in the legal profession, but you'd like to cut your teeth and learn the ropes, MC is a great place to work. The two owners are personable, family-oriented people. The senior attorneys are adept at their profession, and the support staff is friendly. Breakfast is provided every Friday, and every month a catered lunch is provided to celebrate all birthdays occurring during that month.

Cons

MC actively targets entry-level (assistant) paralegals and recently admitted attorneys, mostly to justify their low hourly rates/salary. Not only does the low pay breed contempt for the "too much work, too little pay" culture, but it serves to have the support staff be little more than a revolving door of new employees (who need to be educated/trained in what to do - remember, these are people who likely have little to no legal experience) replacing the most recently trained batch of employees who got fed up after 9-12 months of lots of work/too little pay with almost no hope of a meaningful pay raise.

MC is a volume based law firm, and their business cycle is subject to fluctuations in the foreclosure industry.

Advice to Management

Ditch the philosophy of "burn and turn." Pay the support staff (and attorneys for that matter) a fair, reasonable salary for their respective positions. That would eliminate the revolving door, and foster a sense of camaraderie and togetherness. Otherwise, the firm feels like lots of "little people" slaving away for the benefit of the Malcolm family, the Cisneros family, and their close friends who work at the firm.

Terrible work environment

Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Malcolm Cisneros

Pros

You have a paid job.

Cons

Management has gone on Glassdoor and have added the positive reviews. They use the term layoff as a vindictive way to get rid of employees they do not like. They have are sexist promotional guidelines, and only promote men over their more experienced female counterparts. They have created positions to give their relatives jobs. Even though they are not equipped to watch pet rocks.

Advice to Management

Develop morals and ethics.

Malcolm Cisneros Response

Mar 17, 2015Marketing Coordinator

Work in any field is challenging, and law is no exception. Those willing to learn and apply themselves to the job will find that working at MC is a rewarding and beneficial experience. Our low ... More

5. flexible but lack of management skills

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the review is strictly for accounting - They are very flexible. Everyone comes in and out at the time they prefer. Some people can even manage taking classes while working full time because they are so flexible. The partners interact with employees. Free breakfast every Friday. They have a lot of casual days. Benefits are relatively good - health, dental, vision, life (I believe 401k after a year). And they have year-end bonuses.

Cons

They need better management skills. Some of the people who hold managing power do not know what they are doing. And sometimes you have to repeat a request multiple times before they are noticed.

Advice to Management

Need better training, or hire more people so not everything is dumped onto one person.

6. Valuable work experience, great atmosphere, great benefits, lackluster pay

Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the people at MC. The partners are really invested in the company and in your life as well. Great bonuses and benefits. Clean functional working environment. Company contributes to community.

Cons

The nature of the work in some departments are not so brag worthy. Casual days are a privilege not a right. Some departments favored over others.

Advice to Management

If you use an employee for other departments or for a higher caliber of work outside their expected duties, compensate them as such. Praise alone does not express appreciation adequately. Work load should not require overtime to handle properly.

7. Very interesting company and great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the free breakfast on Fridays, time off policy is very lenient. I really enjoy working for my supervisor. Also, they provide excellent health benefits at no cost.

Cons

Looking to head back to law school so trying to figure out how to work full time and attend school.

Advice to Management

I really enjoy the fact that the upper management knows me and makes it a point to talk to me on a daily basis.

Poor Culture and Poor Treatment of Employees

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management attempts to give back to employees with lunches, casual dress days, etc. The firm also provides health benefits.

Cons

My experience at MC was stressful, petty, and often insulting.

Department and team supervisors seemed totally disinterested in their employees beyond their productivity. Subordinates are often blamed for mistakes to insulate their supervisor from blame. Subordinates are often sent as messengers to present subpar work or float redundant questions to attorneys. On more than one occasion, one of my four or five supervisors criticized my personality and work in front of a non-supervisor employee. Similarly, one of my supervisors actually underreported my productivity to a department head. A few weeks after this incident, I was part of a group layoff.

On multiple occasions, management called meetings where the staff as a whole was told that they were not performing sufficiently. The tone of management in these meetings was wildly condescending and employees were needlessly reminded that their jobs could be a stake if things did not improve. These meetings conveniently ignored the cyclical nature of the industry and the fact that many competing firms were experiencing similar difficulties.

One of the most frustrating things about this office is management's refrain that, 'life is a competition.' Management follows this line by telling employees that they are constantly being evaluated against one another and that working hard is how one protects their position. However, the fact that 11 of the people on my floor are related to another employee suggests that more than just hard work is a factor in determining who stays. To this day, none of those 11 employees has lost their position to firm cut-backs.

Advice to Management

A more objective process is needed for evaluating work and employees. Communication with employees should be more professional. Employees in supervisory roles should be experienced in such positions and more closely supervised in their interactions with employees. Employees who are relatives should be evaluted as closely as those who are not.

9. Great Atmosphere. Poor Pay

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros

Pros

Great working environment. Managers, attorneys, and partners are great.

Cons

The pay is terrible. To be fair, the pay is terrible everywhere.

10. Great work environment and culture!

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly supervisors and helpful attorneys

Cons

Heavy caseload occasionally produced disorganized case files.

Advice to Management

Improve case management systems.

11. Regardless of your position, working here will be a low point in your career.

Former Employee - Bankruptcy Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Bankruptcy Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Affordable Health care benefits (as long as you don't have a dependent... then it is extremely expensive)

Cons

-Compensation is well below industry average. I have yet to find a law firm that pays less than they do for a comparable position.
    -Annual review will consist of a $0.50 raise if you're lucky... many leave before then. High turnover rate
    -Fellow employees either 1. Hate their job 2. Have their last name on the building
    -Partners reward their employees for strong quarterly earnings with benefits such as "casual fridays"
    -Definitely a penny pinching law firm

RSS Feed </> Embed