Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Mark Trudeau

good company to work for

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good balance for work and home life

Cons

pharmacy stocking and other small things

none

Great company

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Loved working at Mallinckrodt, but I was there in the days before Tyco acquired it. Very collegial environment, sharp people.

Cons

Senior management hadn't mastered its markets when I was there, made some questionable decisions around acquisitions and divestitures. I think the new Mallinckrodt may be much improved in this regard.

Continue the ongoing trend away from bulk and toward dosage products.

Chemical Operator

Current Employee - Chemical Operator
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job oily s very rewarding and the people are friendly

Cons

Im learning something new everyday

Leadership is very important on every level

Spinning your wheels

Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Well, the best reasons were you received a pension, you were compensated for Sunday work, you were able to work overtime, you were not afraid of being let go and the company respected their employees.

Cons

All the Pros listed above are gone. Yet our beloved CEO, Mark Trudeux increases his compensation and his bonus a second consecutive year while 35% of our workforce is being let go. The top employees are jumping ship. The writing is on the wall and this place will be lucky to be around in 2 years.

None - they haven't listened to the employees for years.

Disorganized and No room for personal life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hobart, NY

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Low cost health insurance

Cons

Make corporate policies hard to understand
    Managers play too many games and politics
    Too many schedule changes, makes it impossible to have a personal life or family
    Short-staffed

Listen to your employees, advocate for your employees, better training is needed (especially with all the changes taking place!)

Heirarchy in IT stifles agility.

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Strong teams with in-depth expertise

Cons

Slow on decision-making, tight IT budgets

...

Company is slowly deteriorating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful. Unless, you work at Hazelwood with the higher ups. The environment is Very cut throat.

Cons

The company is downsizing and watching hard workers get walked out the door. The company is extremely top heavy. Personally, some of the guidance employees were given by upper management was unethical ( this is my opinion).

Start taking ownership of the company you work for and acknowledge the people who actually do their job.

Unpleasant unorganized non professional work environment with racially unbalanced work practices.

Current Employee - Quality Technician II in Maryland Heights, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Technician II in Maryland Heights, MO

Pros

Its a paycheck every 2 weeks

Cons

Sinking ship horrible place to work

Management has certain individuals who they seek out to tell on fellow co workers with the promise of advancement. Ethnic groups of any color have a hard time with promotions and fair pay. All around this company should be investigated under several accounts for discrimination false documentation practices and bullying employees. During my decade tenure I have watched this company tank in the last 3 years. Horrible place to work if they could fire you for blowing your nose to hard they would. I personally have had 4 different supervisors in the past 2 years . This boat is sinking and there pushing you of without a life jacket. Thanks mallinckrodt for nothing.

Current employee

The Mallinckrodt Experience

Pros

Long standing company with an established name.

Cons

Going through a change in company direction that does not fit the current makeup of the company

Quit trying to change the company.

Hamster wheel

Current Employee - Queue See Tech in Hobart, NY
    Current Employee - Queue See Tech in Hobart, NY

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location: rural, Catskill Mountains, small town. Of course, that's not ideal for everyone, but it works for me.

Cons

The entire company is going through a process where consultants come in and tell everyone how to be more efficient (read: seeing us through a period of layoffs). But if you're looking for a job here, don't give up hope; the company is working diligently to drive long-time employees to retire or seek jobs elsewhere, and they may end up losing too many good, knowledgeable people.

The manager in my department is clueless when it comes to dealing with people or having the slightest idea about what actually happens in the department. The primary function seems to be to act as a sacrificial lamb in the event that a regulatory audit goes badly, because the term "manager" is obviously just an empty title in his case.

Aside from boilerplate "we're moving forward, making good progress" commentary from site management, I haven't heard any optimism in a long time. Most people are just hoping to keep their jobs (or find new ones, and soon), and are too busy keeping their heads down to care about whether the company is making good business decisions (Questcor, anyone?) or if it's simply a matter of time before we're out of business or bought (yet again).

Despite corporate's efforts to introduce a new culture, it comes at a time when the prevailing emotion is fear. Needless to say, that is not conducive to positive change.

Work on identifying supervisors and managers who are actually good at their jobs. Put more effort into developing the skills of people you already have. When possible, promote from within rather than hiring mid- and upper-level people who don't know the organization and who couldn't care less if they move on to another job after 6 months.

Reconsider the compensation structure. Don't expect to have (and retain) a technically adept QC team if you aren't willing to pay for it. If an entry level tech with a science degree can make as much or more on the manufacturing end, without having a degree, and without also being bogged down by the sense that there's no real chance of advancement in the department, why would they bother coming/staying?

Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Photos

Our vision as an employer is to be the natural home of resourceful, enterprising people who embody the cultural hallmarks of Engaged, Competitive, Collaborative, High Performing and Trustworthy.
Whether it's the production of specialty pharmaceuticals or quality imaging products, we are working to make complex products simpler, safer and better for patients.
Our expertise and experience in development, formulation and manufacturing enable us to deliver high-quality specialty pharmaceuticals for patients.
With innovative imaging products, we continually strive to make a difference in the lives of patients and to partner with healthcare professionals in their efforts to deliver the best care possible.

+ Add Photo