Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Mark Trudeau

Chemical Operator

Current Employee - Chemical Operator
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job oily s very rewarding and the people are friendly

Cons

Im learning something new everyday

Leadership is very important on every level

Heirarchy in IT stifles agility.

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Strong teams with in-depth expertise

Cons

Slow on decision-making, tight IT budgets

...

The Mallinckrodt Experience

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Long standing company with an established name.

Cons

Going through a change in company direction that does not fit the current makeup of the company

Quit trying to change the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hamster wheel

Current Employee - Queue See Tech  in  Hobart, NY
    Current Employee - Queue See Tech in Hobart, NY

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location: rural, Catskill Mountains, small town. Of course, that's not ideal for everyone, but it works for me.

Cons

The entire company is going through a process where consultants come in and tell everyone how to be more efficient (read: seeing us through a period of layoffs). But if you're looking for a job here, don't give up hope; the company is working diligently to drive long-time employees to retire or seek jobs elsewhere, and they may end up losing too many good, knowledgeable people.

The manager in my department is clueless when it comes to dealing with people or having the slightest idea about what actually happens in the department. The primary function seems to be to act as a sacrificial lamb in the event that a regulatory audit goes badly, because the term "manager" is obviously just an empty title in his case.

Aside from boilerplate "we're moving forward, making good progress" commentary from site management, I haven't heard any optimism in a long time. Most people are just hoping to keep their jobs (or find new ones, and soon), and are too busy keeping their heads down to care about whether the company is making good business decisions (Questcor, anyone?) or if it's simply a matter of time before we're out of business or bought (yet again).

Despite corporate's efforts to introduce a new culture, it comes at a time when the prevailing emotion is fear. Needless to say, that is not conducive to positive change.

Work on identifying supervisors and managers who are actually good at their jobs. Put more effort into developing the skills of people you already have. When possible, promote from within rather than hiring mid- and upper-level people who don't know the organization and who couldn't care less if they move on to another job after 6 months.

Reconsider the compensation structure. Don't expect to have (and retain) a technically adept QC team if you aren't willing to pay for it. If an entry level tech with a science degree can make as much or more on the manufacturing end, without having a degree, and without also being bogged down by the sense that there's no real chance of advancement in the department, why would they bother coming/staying?

Don't waste your time here

Current Employee - Chemical Operator  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

None to be found here

Cons

This is a One out of five star company.They are getting rid of people every day and will try to run this plant on a skeleton crew if that tells you anything. We only get paid for 36 hours a week for half the year in manufacturing. It's increasingly difficult to support a family unless you get plenty of overtime - by the way, they took that away too. The little raise we do get is taken away by this company every year in increased insurance costs. We work twelve hour shifts, nights, weekends and holidays. All these other posts on here that say what a great company this is are detached from reality. Our only hope is that this place is bought out by a respectable company and replaces the CEO and other top executives.

The plant manager has his head in the clouds so look for him to be gone after all the layoffs since there will be no work force to produce product.

Best Position ever.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Travel, free to make own schedule and multiple benefits.

Cons

Too many name changes in a short time.

Keep what you have.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hazelwood, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

Pros

Lots of changes and opportunities for growth

Cons

None that i can say.

N/A

Trust your operators

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Used to be a decent wage & benefits then Covidien took away all that. Only pro so far is free shoes once a year

Cons

Haven't noticed much change from the Covidien take always! Upper management not held accountable like operators are.

Trust your operators! They're here to make you $ & in turn they make $. Listen to their ideas

Caveman mentality

Former Employee - Corporate Analyst  in  Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Corporate Analyst in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The workout center was great.

Cons

Mallinckrodt spent a huge amount on revamping the workout center and then had to layoff people. What is more important....really?

Quit using bullying as a management tool.

Good people, reasonable pay, slow promotions

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are nice, the cafe is one of the best employee subsidized eateries there is

Cons

Promotions come to employees slowly and on basis of older members leaving

Worked for Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!