Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Great benefits package and salary!

Cons

Company is growing quickly by way of acquisitions. Too many changes, too fast. Management does not communicate changes in a timely manner and there is no clear picture of structure and processes.

Communicate with employees on a regular and more openly basis to let them know they are important and they are appreciated.

Quality Technician

Current Employee - Quality Technician II in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Technician II in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Able to work on my education while working (tuition reimbursement)
    Overtime work is available if wanted
    Great for first job or starting out career

Cons

No development opportunities
    Cost cutting measures to appease shareholders really makes some aspects of work life more difficult for employees than it should be

So much potential but the environment is toxic

Former Employee - Medical Affairs in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Medical Affairs in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The type of work, fast paced, great learning opportunities, great salary. High workload but if you are a good worker you can handle it.

Cons

There were a select few people who were great to work with. The rest needed a good lesson on working as a team. Too much infighting and blaming others for problems and mistakes. Some in particular bully others to accomplish their own agenda. Management even fought amongst themselves and instead of managing their employees, they "escalate the problem." Very unstable feeling, so I left.

Require your mid- and senior- level people to manage their employees. Why was a director correcting entry level employees when the employee's direct manager should be doing it? Teach hierarchy of management.

Don't ignore unprofessional behavior. Calling other employees names in front of the team or allowing an employee to openly complain about their direct supervisor should be punished accordingly. It's called insubordination. Too much mid level employee insubordination.

Unorganized organization

Former Employee - Specialty Sales in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Seemed to have a promising pipeline.

Cons

Upper management had a very high turnover. Strategies would change mid stream. Never had a chance to follow through.

When strategizing in the future think about the reps point of view. Maybe go out on some field rides and see what's really happening in the real world.
    Don't realign or organization before it's actually needed.

Poor management and some clueless people

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

I loved the up-to-date equipment. There was a lot of investment in the labs. I was really glad they had a very flexible work schedule, so I could miss traffic. I worked with some fun people.

Cons

A list is needed here:
    In one location, there were too many people assigned to a job that could've been done by one person; two at most. Made for lots of down time, which I hate.
    In another location, there was a lack of direction from management. I'd work on one project with a set goal, and be given a new project with a new goal before I finished the first. It felt like I was constantly putting out fires.
    Also, this location had a problem with hiring unqualified personnel. Lots of stupid mistakes were made because people lacked the background and/or education to know what they were doing. Just because you can get someone cheap doesn't mean you should hire them.

Invest in talented, qualified people and keep them happy in their work. That makes all the difference.

good company to work for

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good balance for work and home life

Cons

pharmacy stocking and other small things

none

Great company

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Loved working at Mallinckrodt, but I was there in the days before Tyco acquired it. Very collegial environment, sharp people.

Cons

Senior management hadn't mastered its markets when I was there, made some questionable decisions around acquisitions and divestitures. I think the new Mallinckrodt may be much improved in this regard.

Continue the ongoing trend away from bulk and toward dosage products.

Dysfunctional and unorganized branded drug division

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good Base salary, benefits, and bonus structure.

Cons

I was with the company for just under two years and it was the most dysfunctional organization I have ever seen. With the launch of their new branded drug- the sales reps had 5 different target lists and 5 different strategies to attack them in 6 months. There was never any consistency, or back up for the sales reps struggles in the field. They hired a contract sales force and then released all of them within a year, and laid off many full time employees- while senior management all still have their jobs and are not held accountable for their incompetence.

If you want to run a successful corporation- speak with the sales reps and figure out what will help them to be successful, and put that plan into action!!!

You can't find a worse company than this.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None, if you work in the branded drugs division. The drugs are all dogs.

Cons

The drugs are complete dogs, and management is completely incompetent. They hired 200 inVentiv reps a year ago and laid them all off a few weeks ago. They also laid off many regular employees over the last two months. At the same time, they are hiring another 50 reps right now.

Fire all management and start over.

Chemical Operator

Current Employee - Chemical Operator
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator

I have been working at Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job oily s very rewarding and the people are friendly

Cons

Im learning something new everyday

Leadership is very important on every level

Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals Photos