Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Mark Trudeau

Hamster wheel

Queue See Tech (Current Employee) Hobart, NY

ProsLocation: rural, Catskill Mountains, small town. Of course, that's not ideal for everyone, but it works for me.

ConsThe entire company is going through a process where consultants come in and tell everyone how to be more efficient (read: seeing us through a period of layoffs). But if you're looking for a job here, don't give up hope; the company is working diligently to drive long-time employees to retire or seek jobs elsewhere, and they may end up losing too many good, knowledgeable people.

The manager in my department is clueless when it comes to dealing with people or having the slightest idea about what actually happens in the department. The primary function seems to be to act as a sacrificial lamb in the event that a regulatory audit goes badly, because the term "manager" is obviously just an empty title in his case.

Aside from boilerplate "we're moving forward, making good progress" commentary from site management, I haven't heard any optimism in a long time. Most people are just hoping to keep their jobs (or find new ones, and soon), and are too busy keeping their heads down to care about whether the company is making good business decisions (Questcor, anyone?) or if it's simply a matter of time before we're out of business or bought (yet again).

Despite corporate's efforts to introduce a new culture, it comes at a time when the prevailing emotion is fear. Needless to say, that is not conducive to positive change.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on identifying supervisors and managers who are actually good at their jobs. Put more effort into developing the skills of people you already have. When possible, promote from within rather than hiring mid- and upper-level people who don't know the organization and who couldn't care less if they move on to another job after 6 months.

Reconsider the compensation structure. Don't expect to have (and retain) a technically adept QC team if you aren't willing to pay for it. If an entry level tech with a science degree can make as much or more on the manufacturing end, without having a degree, and without also being bogged down by the sense that there's no real chance of advancement in the department, why would they bother coming/staying?

Best Position ever.

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsTravel, free to make own schedule and multiple benefits.

ConsToo many name changes in a short time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep what you have.

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hazelwood, MO

ProsLots of changes and opportunities for growth

ConsNone that i can say.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trust your operators

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to be a decent wage & benefits then Covidien took away all that. Only pro so far is free shoes once a year

ConsHaven't noticed much change from the Covidien take always! Upper management not held accountable like operators are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your operators! They're here to make you $ & in turn they make $. Listen to their ideas

Good people, reasonable pay, slow promotions

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Hazelwood, MO

ProsThe people are nice, the cafe is one of the best employee subsidized eateries there is

ConsPromotions come to employees slowly and on basis of older members leaving

Exceptionally bad organization

Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPro is that I no longer work there. Looking back, it never was good.

ConsWrong people in wrong positions, useless consultants for $$$, all politics, culturally insensitive, poor decision making skills, poor communication skills, lack of talent and expertise, arrogance, etc, etc, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and do something else.

Getting worse every year

ProsNo pros found here - looking to get out along with 70% of the other manufacturing employees.

ConsI've been here nine years and seen them take everything but the kitchen sink away! They do not care about the employee and will not staff enough people to keep the machinery running. Every year we lose pay while the CEO and his cronies reap huge pay raises and bonuses. It has gotten so bad that half the year we work part time hours. These other people with good remarks about this company are either in the labs or off sight and sitting down in a cushy chair somewhere! They came here in the last year and don't know anything yet. By the way - those people are already gone with the latest round of permanent layoffs. Don't let them fool you!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone - you can't fix stupid

Unstable workplace

Lab Tech (Current Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsThe pay and benefits are fair. The opportunity to move to different areas of the plant are a plus.

ConsThe company itself is all about making money and not worried too much about the well being of their employees. I see people getting discriminated on the daily basis, when the HR department is well aware of this issue. Right now we have a group that is putting together a big plan to get rid of people and make bigger numbers even after the infamous mark Trudeau got a 10 million dollar raise. It's not all about money, employees first. It seems every 2 years people get walked up the hill and gave a severance package. Some of the managers in this place are all favoritism, that is a terrible thing to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review some of your current managers, ask the employees with a one on one discussion of how they really feel about them and what can be changed.

Not worth your time

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) Maryland Heights, MO

ProsMet some okay people. Money was fair.

ConsWork was unbalanced and supervisors played favorites to employees. You can only be promoted if you told on each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit playing favorites and be fair to employees who work hard. Show up on the line to understand what's going on.

Change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hazelwood, MO

ProsI really liked my job. The benefits are great. If you love change and can be self taught this is the place to be. Very few days went by without something changing.

ConsAlong with changes should come communication and training, not part of the culture here. Employees are left to figure things out on there own. Micro managing from the cave man days is the mainstay for managers to follow.

Worked for Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!