Malone & Bailey

Malone & Bailey Reviews

2.6

John Malone
1 Rating

Stressful, but empowering even at the staff level

I have been working at Malone & Bailey full-time

Pros

Constant learning, great training program, overtime pay, generous PTO. Working at a smaller firm allows you to become a more integral part of the engagements, and you often see the audit/review all the way through from beginning to end. Even at the staff level, I gained a lot of exposure to complicated debt and equity transactions, maintained relations with my clients (sometimes the CEO and CFO of a company), and was often the sole preparer before it went to senior/manager/partner review. When compared with my peers at larger firms/big 4, I can definitely see that I'm given much more responsibility here. Everyone at the office is pretty friendly with one another; the partners will even roam the halls and drop by our offices to chat...which brings me to another point -- we all have offices, not cubicles, and do most of our work in-office rather than at the client site. This greatly improves efficiency and productivity, as we are all equipped with a 4-monitor system that allows us to work much quicker.

Cons

Hardly any work-life balance (even after busy season), very stressful, understaffed. I regularly switch back and forth between 5-8 clients, up to 15 during busy season. As you can imagine, this can become very hectic and often stressful when the engagements are in different stages of the process and when clients are demanding. Of course, it greatly improved my flexibility, organization, and recall factor, but having to do this for 52 weeks out of the year can be very tasking.

Beef up staffing; consider increasing salary to be more comparable with amount of work we produce

Should you work here?

I have been working at Malone & Bailey

Pros

Definitely a great place to learn and a starting point for your career.

Cons

very understaffed. They hoours during busy season are crazy and go on until well into May.

A satisfying experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

Partner group was friendly and helpful. HR function was supportive of all employees and was alway there to help out.

Cons

Hours got a little long during busy season. Pay was decent but could have been better in comparison to other opportunities.

Like being an accountant wasn't bad enough

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

A few decent down to earth people. Something you can put on a resume and will make your next job seem like heaven.

Cons

Management lacks any kind of humility or personality. stuffy atmophere and they're the reason for all the accountant jokes out there.

Start trying to act like real human beings. you know, with emotions? Stop punishing employees that don"t want anything to do with you outside the office. Just because you may make an above average salary doesn't mean that you're still not a loser.

a place to get a pay check

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Malone & Bailey

Pros

pay is at or above market

Cons

lack of respect at work place

None

A web site that tells it all.

Former Employee - Partner in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Partner in Houston, TX

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

Flexibility, casual environment and plenty of excitement.

Cons

High high turnover among clients, employees, and partners. There is much infighting between the partnership and no set methodology on engagements.

Get your resumes prepared. The firm can not continue this was for another year.

Why work at Malone & Bailey, PC?

I worked at Malone & Bailey

Pros

The atmosphere at M&B was good, they offer training to employees. There are alot of nice people but the prolem at the firm is the management. FYI: if you can suck up to people/management, M&B IS A PLACE TO BE.

Cons

There are alot of problems with management. They pretend they listen, but they don't take actions to fix certain problems. Some of the seniors/managers are competent, while others just don't deserve to be in that position. Management lays emphasis on work life balance,but that is not necessarily correct. They have high employee and partners turnovers, this says alot about a company.

Do right by your employees so you don't loose all the good ones