Maluuba

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
4.0

Sam Pasupalak

Cutting edge and exciting work!!

Former Employee - NLP Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - NLP Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maluuba as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work being done at Maluuba is cutting edge and challenging which is pushing the boundaries in Computer Science specially Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning. Working on the product is exciting and fun due to the work culture at the company. The flat hierarchy of the company significantly helps in keeping the work environment fast paced and innovative. Frequent lunch and learns, hackathons, opportunities to pursue work on project that one likes and freedom to innovate help in improving the product and work and quality.

Perks like weekly soccer games, frequent movie nights, outings and camping trips help in blowing off the steam and keep the employees motivated. Also, the leadership has good vision and the steps being taken are pushing the product and the company in the right direction.

Cons

The company and work culture can seem intimidating in the early days due to quick iterations and short deadlines but they diminish once the new employee gets comfortable.

Keep pushing the boundaries of the product and technology, and the steps that are being taken will definitely help in pushing the company in the right direction.

Fun and rewarding work - always learning something new and valuable

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Maluuba gives you the rare opportunity to do something that will change the way people interact with technology. Maluuba's goal isn't just to make money and be a top company, it has a genuine plan on connecting people with computers in new ways. It's foothold in the NLP industry is a testament to that and the exciting new projects the team is working on are all at the frontier of technology.

Working at Maluuba gives you the chance to explore the type of work you'd like to do as you will frequently get the chance to work on projects with inter-team collaboration. The management cares about each employee and are always open to talk about new opportunities or interests that you would like to pursue within the company. You will be pushed very close to your limit - but that is something made clear from the start and repeated often. We're here to improve every day and do something that will change the world.

Criticism is honest and everyone is upfront with each other. At the same time everyone is friendly and always willing to help out. There are no hidden motives or corporate bureaucracy to navigate around. Everyone's suggestions are taken to heart and considered.

Outside of work, the movie nights, soccer nights, and various events that get planned are all a great way to relax and get to know the members of your team.

The work here is challenging, and the environment is often fast paced, but the joy of being able to work on the sorts of problems we tackle, and the infrastructure we build out to support our system make the experience very rewarding and fun. I am very excited to be a part of this company and look forward to meeting and working with every new person who joins.

Cons

You have to be able to let go of or manage your stress well. There will always be tight deadlines and projects may run into external roadblocks which raise the pressure on internal work.

The management is still young and thin so sometimes problems are identified later than they should be. The key is for everyone to remember that we are all working on the same team, and that you should ask for help and raise awareness of problems encountered. This sometimes doesn't happen which can lead to deadline buildup and stress. Although both the management and the engineers pull together and do a very good job in the recovery of these situations, more could be done ahead of time to prevent these situations altogether.

Keep being a part of the engineering team and talk with each member of the team on weaknesses that they could improve as well as what interests them and what they would like to work on in the future.

Quite a bit of the managers time goes into organizing events, interviews, and food arrangements. Hire an Office Manager to take over these tasks. (I know they are trying but I think it is more important than thought)

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been fortunate to work at Maluuba for a full 2 years now (from 2012-2014). Being a start-up company there are, of course, ups and downs and the work will be challenging - but that's why you do it! It's a thrill to do work that has an impact and do things that no one else is doing in the industry.

I think people who have left negative reviews just weren't prepared for the job. Here's an analogy I feel helps: Working for start-up is like training for the Olympics, not training to be on a high school sports team where you just need to be 'good enough'. There is a lot of hard work involved but it's worth it if you believe in the end goal. An athlete wouldn't treat their training as 'work' since it's a necessary means to a goal that they want badly. That's what it comes down to: how interested are you in building something new, innovative, and possibly game changing? And Maluuba's work and portfolio speaks for itself, it's not another dumb social photo app or IM app, the technology being developed is bleeding edge and unique.

With that being said, Maluuba is a fun place to work! We have lunches, dinners, snacks, fun outings, and everyone is very friendly and approachable.

The CEO and Management are of course busy but I've never seen them not be able to have time to chat and discuss career goals. Every time I've seen or heard someone ask management for different opportunities, including myself, they've made sure they're able to explore those. I think some people, developers especially, have a hard

People do sometimes work on the weekends but it's not often, perhaps 1 weekend a month on average - which is the standard at any of the big tech companies (Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.).

As I started with, I really do feel fortunate to be at Maluuba. It's very rare to find a company that is so innovative, with so many smart, motivated, and fun people, and where your work can make such a big impact.

Cons

The work is often challenging and sometimes there really isn't a right answer or a possible solution. That can make things stressful.

Other 'regular' jobs have very clear goals stated for you and all you're supposed to do is achieve them and move to the next one. Like a carrot on a stick.

At Maluuba, you're actively involved in the success of the products - this is both stressful and rewarding. Employees, including engineers, are required to think creatively - which isn't always easy and isn't always for everyone.

I've seen two different types of attitudes: (1) The first follows the thinking: "this is hard"/"it might be impossible"/"I can't find a solution online" and (2) the second follows the thinking: "there must be a way"/"what alternatives can I look at that solve the same end goals?"/"I should experiment first." The people with the first attitude will get frustrated (at Maluuba or at Google or at Facebook, etc.) because their approach has them stressed the whole way. The people with the second attitude may not get an answer/solution but they don't feel the frustration or the stress.

It comes down to maturity of how well you can handle hard problems and stress.

I think a lot of employees, especially engineers, have a hard time communicating so often they don't express themselves and it's hard for management to understand their goals or challenges. I would advise both management and employees to have weekly or biweekly meetings to discuss progress, career goals, and any issues.

Bootcamp to being awesome

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced workplace where you are always given new opportunities and must constantly adapt to the changing environment. Compensation and perks much better than most companies I've worked for (i.e. catered lunch and dinner, company outings, vacation policy). The feeling of working on something big that will make a difference in this world.

Cons

Not for the faint hearted who want to do things half-assed in life. Management can be very critical of the mistakes you make and sometimes don't give you all the feedback you need to understand your mistakes. You are also expected to work beyond the standard 9 to 5 shift. Also, am not allowed to smoke inside the office (they say it's a health and safety regulation but I doubt it)

not worth the stress or the money (which is very little)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maluuba full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Food is catered, but it is nothing to get too excited about
    They do trips/outings quite often to keep moral up (a poor substitute for proper compensation)

Cons

Totally chaotic
    Little management
    Abusive management
    No directions or instructions
    It is like a bunch of children pretending to run a company
    They expect you to commit your entire life to work, don't care about a work life balance at all

Get your act together

Every day is exciting filled with new challenges

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Never a dull moment in a fast past challenging environment
    - Plenty of opportunity to show initiative and take responsibility for new problems needing solutions that come up every day
    - Given plenty of opportunity to try leadership roles
    - Wide range of work even within the same team
    - Work on really technical, relevant and modern problems
    - Really smart employees that push you to learn and become 10x the developer you were before working here
    - Everything you work on has a major impact on the companies product and future
    - Non standard work environment makes it a fun place to work
    - Free meals
    - Lots of non work activities such as movies, camping, white water rafting, all inclusive trips paid for by Maluuba

Cons

- 100% Start up environment, things can get pretty fast-paced with projects coming and going. If you're into a more stable, single-minded environment you may feel overwhelmed.
    - Longer than normal hours especially close to deadlines, but management gives warning in advanced for when we really have to push hard to meet a deadline.
    - Work/Life balance leans towards work, but management flexible to life needs/activities with a bit of notice
    - No benefits yet

Big Dreams, Challenge, Sacrifice and Hard Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Throughout my internships at college, I was most happy when I made a significant impact to the organization. Before coming to this company, I really thought my career path will involve finding a job, and hope that I'd get into a position of impact. Maluuba constantly challenges everybody to come up with impactful initiatives and running with them. I was able to accomplish a great deal more here in this environment than previously. It's not all easy of course, but the extra hard work and occasional sacrificed weekends are worth it to accomplish big dreams.

Cons

Maluuba is still a startup, so it's a bit rough around the edges. Self-direction is encouraged. As a result, the best decision is not necessarily made every time. I guess, this can be a double edged sword for some. For the courageous, it can be a vehicle to doing some crazy stuff as seen with many projects here. For the more reserved, it may be a bit hard to get used to.

The path to success is not the most straight nor the most smooth, but giants Facebook, Google, and Microsoft all walked this path and succeeded.

Tough but awesome.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--If you enjoy working on tough and challenging problems, with some really smart and fun people then this is the place to be.
    --Really good catered lunch and dinner.
    --Frequent company outings (beach movies, ect)
    --Plenty of opportunity to contribute your own ideas, and lead projects.
    --Company hackathons are usually very fun and have some awesome prizes (Last one was a free vacation!)
    --Get to work on your own project a couple of hours a day.
    --Weekly soccer!
    --Never a boring place to work, you always get to work on new types of projects (some that you literally would not get to work on anywhere else.)

Cons

--It can sometimes get very chaotic near big release deadlines.
    --Have to continually be willing to learn, lots of challenging problems.

Keep up the great hiring, and never loose the company culture as the company grows.

If you have too much time

Current Employee - Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging problems.
    Free food.
    Free pop.
    Free movies.

Cons

There is no such thing as management here, purely chaotic.
    Project planning is planned as developers have to work until midnight everyday and "voluntarily" work on weekends, official holidays included.
    No senior professionals.
    Long hours are required or you will be fired.
    No work-life balance.
    Developers have to report to multiple managers.

Nothing, they won't listen

Smart people. Fun team. Tough challenges.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working on tough challenges everyday -- we're solving real problems in an industry that's redefining how we interact with technology.
    - By far the smartest and most driven group of people I've worked with. It's amazing what you can do with a group of cool and committed engineers all under one roof.
    - Performance is judged by real impact -- recognition for outstanding work is frequently celebrated by the team
    - Free meals everyday catered from at least a selection of 25 restaurants.. love that!
    - Hilariously fun and tight knit group of individuals

Cons

- Chaotic environment given the fast-paced nature of things -- especially when deadlines hit

Great job in hiring and retaining amazing talent and people -- keep it up.