Malvern Instruments

Add Photos

Brian W. Dutko

Intern

I have been working at Malvern Instruments

ProsGreat work environment and colleagues

ConsNothing really comes to mind

Customer Service

I have been working at Malvern Instruments

ProsNone, this group of people have no moral integrity

ConsLiars and cheats, will screw anyone over for a buck

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so greedy

Good company turned bad.

Vice President (Former Employee)
Westborough, MA

I worked at Malvern Instruments

ProsMarket leading company with decent products.

ConsI’ve read that companies go through phases of development and the corporate culture can dramatically change along the way. Unfortunately, Malvern Instruments is a company that has lost its way as time went by and the company grew in size. What was once a fun, enjoyable environment turned into essentially a repressive police state. Part of the change came with the implementation of SAP – a difficult process anywhere. But along with SAP came the decision to allow an abusive personality run roughshod over anyone not conforming to that person’s twisted view of the world. Rather than a nurturing, feed on the positive environment, the company became entirely focused on squeezing maximum profit per employee at the expense of humanity and decency. The only option for me was to walk away and feel bad for the good people still there. In return for many years of devoted service I encountered hatred and venom from the management team as I left. The moral of the story is go with your gut and leave when the culture turns sour. You’ll be much happier that you did.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the long run treating employees well works better than abuse.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A work environment that inhibits creativity and excellence.

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Columbia, MD

I worked at Malvern Instruments

ProsThe best reason to work for Malvern Instruments is to get below average pay for showing up to work everyday and not necessarily produce anything worthwhile.

The president of the company is in the UK and will never know who you are if you work in the states.

You get your own personal partitioned cubical to work in and listen to several conversations at once all day long.

You can volunteer to provide bagels on a rotating basis every Friday.

ConsThe downside is to work in a cubical with dogs running around, managers in their bare feet, hounding and chasing pregnant employees down the hall until they are brought to tears.

To listen to people cursing and yelling all day, in what is supposed to be a technical and professional environment, where you are expected to create new designs and innovative ideas that will help promote and support such an environment.

Being an employee with parents who have end of life problems that require extended leave on your part to care for them and receive nothing short of disapproval from your boss.

Healthcare benefits are below average.

Vacation does not accrue annually, (use it or lose it).

Pay raises that leave you making less than when you started.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people who are technically competent become part of a technical team, but do not let them manage people. Technical achievement has nothing to do with people skills.

Excellent Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Malvern Instruments

ProsHaving worked at malvern of over a dozen years I have seen the company grow organicly and through acquisitions. While growing pains and challenges of integrating new personnel and technologies are to be expected, Malvern has done an excellent job in fostering an overall environment of teamwork and is generally very fair to its employees. Mr. Dutko is the President of American Operations is a very capable manager and team builder. I never had any trouble expressing any concerns to him and I think he truly welcomes interacting on a personal level with the entire organization, so he can know what problems people are having and how to keep the operation running smoothly. The company headquarters is in Malvern UK, a very pleasant town with a history of technical excellence dating back to the 1940's. UK management keeps a very worldwide view, is alert for new developments that fit its aggressive growth plans for high end, high tech, high quality material characterization. Generally the environment is demanding. Extra time and effort is required, is usually recognized, but perhaps not your next paycheck.

ConsSome departments are not run as well as others. Some individual managers were not well suited for their positions but usually did not last long. You are generally expected to function in a team toward an overall end result. If your team doesn't function well, of if you don't function well in your team it will eventually lead to problems, and resolutions you may not like.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any advice to give at this point since it has been some time since I worked there.

Worked for Malvern Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Malvern Instruments reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Malvern Instruments CEO Brian W. Dutko. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Malvern Instruments employees.