Mammoth Mountain

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
3.6

Rusty Gregory

Fun filled energetic, family friendly environment

Former Employee - Systems Manager  in  Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Manager in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people. They are friendly and energetic, both employees and guests. The location is majestic and picturesque.

Cons

The call of the outdoors can make it difficult to stay focused and concentrate. The is so much to do. The cost of living higher than the pay can afford, so you may have to live out of the area, maybe as far a an hour away.

Keep up the good work on growing the product offerings and keeping the facilities up dated.

I loved it!

Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor  in  Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Absolutely the most fun and interesting place to work for a season. I highly recommend it to everyone! A great place to meet new people and gain very unique experiences.

Cons

A party atmosphere with not a lot of room to move up in the organization. The hours can be brutal but you gotta pay the cost to live somewhere so amazing and beautiful.

Pay your employees better!

Poor Quality of Workers

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain part-time for less than a year

Pros

~ You get to ski for free, but if you are a part-time holiday employee you only get to ski as many days as you work.
    ~ All food in cafeteria is 50% off.

Cons

I worked as a holiday employee and was blown away by the lack of professionalism of the employees and the management. It is no wonder that Mammoth Mountain is miles behind Vale and Aspen. The base employees are usually high school drop-outs that know nothing about hospitality or how to talk to guests. I constantly was diffusing tense situations that would arise because my fellow coworkers would blame guests for everything. Management was no better. My direct supervisor had no class and could have used a few lessons in employee management and guest relations. The CEO is an immature ski bum that lucked out in becoming CEO. He berated a MVP pass holder on a forum, the year that I worked there, saying that if the MVP member wasn't happy with his decisions, then Rusty would personally buy back his pass so that he wouldn't return to the mountain and ski there any more. It was embarrassing to be a part of such an ignorant and entitled community. The pay is measly as well.

Management should at least have an education and take basic guest relation classes. Pay for holiday workers should be higher in order to attract better quality workers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Skiing Services  in  Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Skiing Services in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Fun company to work for

Cons

Need your own money to work there

Not all that it's cracked up to be!

Former Employee - Skier Services Manager  in  Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Skier Services Manager in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain

Pros

Resort atmosphere, ski/board time, most all your guests are happy.to be on vacation, resort perks, annual free ski pass

Cons

Management really plays favorites! Not what you know, it's who you --ow! Unorganized, right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing! Perspective employee pool very limited

Listen to your middle management positions thoughts and ideas more carefully! quit grandfathering people that in no way should be in certain positions! Keep things on the more relaxed side as apposed to most people worrying if they will have a job from week to week!

Good employer for the area

I have been working at Mammoth Mountain full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Free Ski Pass and mountain bike pass even for part time employees

Cons

low pay compared to Cost of living

Top Mountain to Work At

Former Employee - Ski Instructor
    Former Employee - Ski Instructor

I worked at Mammoth Mountain

Pros

Mammoth offers great amenities to its employees, an employee discount in all mountain eateries and gift shops, and flexible hours.

Cons

The classes are large during the holiday season, but the Mammoth ensures that you will be paid for each additional student.

Of all the mountains I've worked at, Mammoth was the best. That said, I'd prefer if employees had unlimited lift access on days off.

Worked for Mammoth Mountain? Contribute to the Community!