ManTech

Updated January 8, 2015
3.4

ManTech Chairman and CEO George J. Pedersen
George J. Pedersen

Pros
  • Good benefits; diverse company covering multiple career fields; puts employees first (in 28 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits as well as supporting my time in the National Guard (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours when over time is required (in 7 reviews)

• zero teleworking and no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the better companies as far as Contracting World Goes (Horrible Contract)

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company Review:
    At the time of this writing, the company is winning numerous contracts ranging in service to the DoD and other IC elements. As far as companies go, ManTech MCIS is a decent business unit to work for. They've been in the industry for awhile and understand how to survive. They treat their employees well-enough and provide benefits as well as compensation for hard-work. Lot's of opportunities exist within the company if you are patient and network accordingly. Benefit of being an employee for ManTech vice a smaller company is the networking contacts available to you as well as a resource pool of experienced and talented professionals to pull from. Contracts go belly-up all the time and if you're a high-risk high-reward type, go for a smaller company that pays top dollar.

Contract Review:
    On this contract the people are easy-going (as a matter of fact). Contractor executive management understand they have a difficult customer to work with and generally speaking are considerate towards their contractor personnel. Best team to join on this contract (should you dare) is O&M. Great place to show your value to the company (if that is your goal) and move on to other opportunities after a year or so.

Compensation / Training:
    Easy to receive bonuses if you're willing to put in the time. Attending training is possible and easily provided as an incentive for good work.

Cons

Company Review:
    More of a neutral comment than a con on the company: Know what you are looking for before saddling up with them: pay, relative job security, exceptional management and the like, all vary per contract. If you are looking for a high payout, be prepared to negotiate and justify why you deserve it. If you obtain a high salary then be prepared to meet or exceed expectations or be prepared to find your next job (internally or otherwise). Contracting world is not one you will ever be able to fully put your hands around. The customer (government employees) dictate the pace and often times you will have no control at all and any advice you have to offer will be disregarded, however, YOU will be looked to for providing your high-salary opinion and be expected to solve the mysteries of our world. Yes the company may make money off of you if you are getting paid 55/100. But take solace in the fact that you have a job safety net at your disposal should the customer decide. . . "I don't like that Bob guy today. . . Let's get rid of him.", or budget cuts are nearing. Be content making that 55 an hour and thankful that you have a job and work towards incrementally increasing your salary over time. It's impossible to live up to expectations in contracting world, don't put yourself into that position.

Contract Review:
    You stay on this contract due to limited options (can't find another job), scared of change, bidding time or are in need of a job. Very nice people work here, but they aren't the most skilled, knowledgeable or talented in any one subject matter (due to reasoning explained in the next paragraph). Most of the analytic workforce (CIRT) within the operations side of the contract work harder on not being held accountable or contributing (also due to reasoning explained in the next paragraph). The incumbents are more focused on surviving the daily grind and looking out for their own friends than supporting the customer and it shows in their productivity (not due to reasoning explained below). I have actually witnessed incumbents torpedo positive progress (on more than one occasion) to maintain the status-quo, primarily for their own benefit (not due to reasoning explained below).

That being said, the final decider of what happens is the customer and they are extremely difficult. Most (as in 3/4 of the customer) are uninterested in learning the jobs their peers are involved in ("because I hired you to do job x!"), are illogical in their decision making and even less supportive of the work that the contractors (incumbent or otherwise) complete on a daily basis. Use this as a stepping stone contract, DO NOT make it a permanent home.

Promotion / Benefits / Perks:
    Promotion opportunities are ALWAYS available. Read above to figure out why. People are promoted with little to no experience managing business professionals and have no accountability or oversight. Bonuses are awarded and taxed heavily (as expected) and will not put a smile on your face when realizing that you've spent over 40 hours working (btw you only get paid for 40) and very quickly realize this perk involves too much sacrifice for such an insignificant monetary gain.

Company / Contract Advice to Management:
    None, they are the most realistic individuals I've met and I have nothing but positive experiences with them, even when the conversation heads in another direction. I am always learning from these guys! Executive level leadership is actually more approachable and helpful than the contract team lead / PM leadership.

If you want to save this contract, schedule more meetings with high-level customer leadership that clearly outlines the direction and see if they agree. If they do, work those changes from the top down and follow-up (consistently).

In reality, this contract may not be salvageable. Be prepared to accept that. There are too many problem areas to contend with on both contractor / customer side that cannot be addressed. Keep the show up for as long as you can, make sure you have exit strategies in mind for those employees worth retaining. Start planning now on recouping the loss of this contract by obtaining another. Between now and then, consider using this contract as a proving ground for new employees to get their feet wet. This one will more than likely have to be put out to pasture, eventually.

Subcontracts Admin

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at ManTech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not much, standard PTO and benefits

Cons

zero teleworking and no work/life balance

allow teleworking

Sweat Shop - Proposals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Herndon location was great. Private office.

Cons

Sweat shop mentality. Chew you up and spit you out. Stab you in the back BD people that don't give you feedback so you can produce the end product they really wanted. No communication. They do not want socializing and getting to know each other. Just watch the employment ads. ManTech is ALWAYS looking for their next proposal manager!

Capture and BD people would not give comments on "How am I doing for you? What would you like me to add or change for you?" No communication to my face. Only behind my back. Very discouraging.

Just another Govt Contractor

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, timely pay, work can be interesting at times as long as you work on DoD contracts.

Cons

Overbearing management with no interest in investing in their senior technology staff, every one for themselves culture due to the recent DoD budget cuts. You live and die by your contract, not much support in finding other work internally.

Invest in you skilled technologists and give them a career path, instead of just operating like a glorified body chop chop.

Good while it lasted ...

Former Employee - DoD Contractor in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - DoD Contractor in Herndon, VA

I worked at ManTech as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable benefits overall. Friendly, goal focused workplace. I was favorably impressed by Management's diligence in keeping all levels of employees regularly informed about business conditions. Very ex-military friendly, which can either be a benefit or a detriment to applicants, depending on your background.

Cons

Your position is only as secure as the contract award. This is the nature of DOD support work, which is Mantech's bread and butter (e.g., layoffs are the norm). When it comes to reapplying your skill set after the DOD contract expires (or becomes unfunded mid-stream), there's little support for finding another position within the firm.

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good quality benefits

Cons

Entirely too many reorgs, too political, senior management is out of touch with their employees, too much paperwork and nonsense policies, constant state of mayhem

Stop thinking that reorgs are going to solve everything. They do nothing but turn everyone's job upside down and cause mass chaos.

My experience at ManTech: Mission, Cyber & Intelligence Solutions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at ManTech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some very good program managers.

Cons

CEO and management team were ruthless in letting people go. I saw several management members walked out of the building under close "guard" without much compassion or consideration. Real quality was not a hallmark of this company - only getting the certs needed for winning business. Software tools were antiquated with lack of coordination between programs.

Pay the price for real quality investment and it will give you exponential returns.

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Administration in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Administration in Herndon, VA

I worked at ManTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few. Some professionals are hardworking, honest and nice. Benefits are better than most.

Cons

Difficult work environments across all departments. Poor technology and systems. Little-to-no diversity. Promotions based on favoritism. Absence of business ethics in key areas. HR support for managers only. Employees sink or swim w/o HR support. Respect and dignity toward employees is absent. Smart, business savvy professionals stay for short periods of time and move on once they discover the inside story.

Pay attention to the feedback you get from employees and work at implementing changes to the organization and archaic, old-boy network that no longer works with today's more progressive employees.

Don't work here if you don't have to

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some co-workers; that's about it.

Cons

Tons; lack of leadership; lack of mentoring; too many re-orgs; HR does squat; leadership doesn't listen to their management team or employees; no job growth; high turnover; bad moral. Crappy environment doesn't even tip the ice burg -- run the other if you can.

Stop the re-orgs; listen to your management team; find growth for employees; mentor employees.

Decent benefits, management, as long as you stay in defense

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at ManTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was not working on a defense project, so evantually my role was no longer of much value to the company. However, in my role i earned a modest income for my area and experience.

Cons

I wish Mantech helped me to find another role earlier internally before I had to seek a role externally. HR said that they would consider re-hiring me again in the future because I left on good terms.

When your time on a project is limited or about to come to end, consider helping project members to find another more suitable role within the company.

ManTech Photos