ManTech

Updated January 30, 2015
3.4

ManTech Chairman and CEO George J. Pedersen
George J. Pedersen

Pros
  • Good benefits; diverse company covering multiple career fields; puts employees first (in 28 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits as well as supporting my time in the National Guard (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours when over time is required (in 7 reviews)

• zero teleworking and no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for!!

I worked at ManTech as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package was good, and dedication to the project at hand was a priority. Corporate acts generally concerned about employees in the field. Had 3 raises in 4 years so was well taken care of...

Cons

I have no complaints towards Mantech as a company. The 401k was not matching so basically useless except as a savings account.

Document Control

I have been working at ManTech

Pros

Made good money and worked around good people

Cons

I have Nonei liked my job

Corporate, but a lot of talent

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The projects here are a wide range but most of them are interesting and challenging. There's a lot of really smart people in close vacinity and at least from what I've seen there's a lot of ways to move up and get more involved. Management cares, HR is awesome and (at least for technical positions) there's a lot of expertise to learn from.

Cons

Benefits are okay. For technical people it would be good if there was more emphasis on being able to go to conferences and trainings but the medical benefits are good.

Good place to work.

I have been working at ManTech

Pros

Mobility Program is a good benefit in the contracting world. Original date of hire is honored if the employee returns to the company.

Cons

Bonuses and/or PIPs are not regularly awarded for job performance.

LOVED WORKING HERE, HELPING SOLDIERS

I worked at ManTech

Pros

I loved the work experience of working for Mantech, I loved going out to the other bases, fixing the equipment, and seeing how grateful the soldiers were to have us there.

Cons

The company was very stubborn when it came to rewarding it's employees for their hard work and sacrifice, they wanted to pay the Gentechs less than the FSR's and without us they could not do their jobs.

Treat all the employees like you would like to be treated, we were the ones sacrificing and being away from our family's, and having to practically beg upper management for any type of raise or extra compensation, and we all know how Mantech made millions off of our hard work and sacrifice.

Good Company, Training Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at ManTech

Pros

My time here has been good. The people are good to work with. HR personnel are very responsive. I have the opportunity to learn new systems. My co-workers are very knowledgeable and willing to assist and pass on knowledge. I have an opportunity to attend several certification boot camps to obtain some certifications that I am seeking and htre company pays for the boot camps. The pay is good, it has an OK 401k but they have ESOP that could offset the low matching 401K. They take care of their people.

Cons

Benefits for a family could be better. 401k matching could be better.

One of the better companies as far as Contracting World Goes (Horrible Contract)

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at ManTech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company Review:
    At the time of this writing, the company is winning numerous contracts ranging in service to the DoD and other IC elements. As far as companies go, ManTech MCIS is a decent business unit to work for. They've been in the industry for awhile and understand how to survive. They treat their employees well-enough and provide benefits as well as compensation for hard-work. Lot's of opportunities exist within the company if you are patient and network accordingly. Benefit of being an employee for ManTech vice a smaller company is the networking contacts available to you as well as a resource pool of experienced and talented professionals to pull from. Contracts go belly-up all the time and if you're a high-risk high-reward type, go for a smaller company that pays top dollar.

Contract Review:
    On this contract the people are easy-going (as a matter of fact). Contractor executive management understand they have a difficult customer to work with and generally speaking are considerate towards their contractor personnel. Best team to join on this contract (should you dare) is O&M. Great place to show your value to the company (if that is your goal) and move on to other opportunities after a year or so.

Compensation / Training:
    Easy to receive bonuses if you're willing to put in the time. Attending training is possible and easily provided as an incentive for good work.

Cons

Company Review:
    More of a neutral comment than a con on the company: Know what you are looking for before saddling up with them: pay, relative job security, exceptional management and the like, all vary per contract. If you are looking for a high payout, be prepared to negotiate and justify why you deserve it. If you obtain a high salary then be prepared to meet or exceed expectations or be prepared to find your next job (internally or otherwise). Contracting world is not one you will ever be able to fully put your hands around. The customer (government employees) dictate the pace and often times you will have no control at all and any advice you have to offer will be disregarded, however, YOU will be looked to for providing your high-salary opinion and be expected to solve the mysteries of our world. Yes the company may make money off of you if you are getting paid 55/100. But take solace in the fact that you have a job safety net at your disposal should the customer decide. . . "I don't like that Bob guy today. . . Let's get rid of him.", or budget cuts are nearing. Be content making that 55 an hour and thankful that you have a job and work towards incrementally increasing your salary over time. It's impossible to live up to expectations in contracting world, don't put yourself into that position.

Contract Review:
    You stay on this contract due to limited options (can't find another job), scared of change, bidding time or are in need of a job. Very nice people work here, but they aren't the most skilled, knowledgeable or talented in any one subject matter (due to reasoning explained in the next paragraph). Most of the analytic workforce (CIRT) within the operations side of the contract work harder on not being held accountable or contributing (also due to reasoning explained in the next paragraph). The incumbents are more focused on surviving the daily grind and looking out for their own friends than supporting the customer and it shows in their productivity (not due to reasoning explained below). I have actually witnessed incumbents torpedo positive progress (on more than one occasion) to maintain the status-quo, primarily for their own benefit (not due to reasoning explained below).

That being said, the final decider of what happens is the customer and they are extremely difficult. Most (as in 3/4 of the customer) are uninterested in learning the jobs their peers are involved in ("because I hired you to do job x!"), are illogical in their decision making and even less supportive of the work that the contractors (incumbent or otherwise) complete on a daily basis. Use this as a stepping stone contract, DO NOT make it a permanent home.

Promotion / Benefits / Perks:
    Promotion opportunities are ALWAYS available. Read above to figure out why. People are promoted with little to no experience managing business professionals and have no accountability or oversight. Bonuses are awarded and taxed heavily (as expected) and will not put a smile on your face when realizing that you've spent over 40 hours working (btw you only get paid for 40) and very quickly realize this perk involves too much sacrifice for such an insignificant monetary gain.

Company / Contract Advice to Management:
    None, they are the most realistic individuals I've met and I have nothing but positive experiences with them, even when the conversation heads in another direction. I am always learning from these guys! Executive level leadership is actually more approachable and helpful than the contract team lead / PM leadership.

If you want to save this contract, schedule more meetings with high-level customer leadership that clearly outlines the direction and see if they agree. If they do, work those changes from the top down and follow-up (consistently).

In reality, this contract may not be salvageable. Be prepared to accept that. There are too many problem areas to contend with on both contractor / customer side that cannot be addressed. Keep the show up for as long as you can, make sure you have exit strategies in mind for those employees worth retaining. Start planning now on recouping the loss of this contract by obtaining another. Between now and then, consider using this contract as a proving ground for new employees to get their feet wet. This one will more than likely have to be put out to pasture, eventually.

SO/so

I worked at ManTech

Pros

Plenty of overtime available there.

Cons

Company is pretty middle-of-the-road. Nothing Outstanding but nothing really horrible either. Its rough for contractors but if you get a full-time job with the actual company you'll do well.

Longer contracts

Cyber Security Program Manager

Current Employee - Senior Cyber Program Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Cyber Program Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ManTech

Pros

Good company to work for with support from upper management. Offer good benefits and decent compensation.

Cons

Like any other consulting company you are expected to put in 50+ hours a week. I was hired as a cyber program manager and had a difficult client. I never saw the home office the entire time I worked for the company. Once my contract was completed I got VERY little help securing a new position within the company to relocate. I was laid off on the same day the contract ended and did not even get a 2 week grace period to find new work.

Invest in your people and give them help locating a new position. Disappointed in upper management after putting in constant overtime and never being help to find a new position. Felt like the garbage at the curb after they had used me for what they needed.

Company

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at ManTech

Pros

Good pay, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Provide training for employees to succeed in duties.

Work on providing training for employees.

ManTech Photos