Mana Products

Updated September 4, 2014

Nikos Mouyiaris

Solid and Growing Company

I worked at Mana Products

Pros

Promotion within, friendly environment, located conveniently off subway and highway exit

Cons

Outdated computer software, lack of communication between departments

Exhilarating and full of hope in the beginning but as the office politics grew so did my disillusionment.

I worked at Mana Products

Pros

First; the people! Most are immigrants who appreciate the opportunity to better their lives by striving for the "American Dream" and this company does provide exactly that. Many long-lasting friendships have developed among employees and there is a good spirit of camaraderie ( which has led to more than a few babies as well ).An American working here can learn a lot about other cultures in such a diverse group of workers, which is always a good thing. Second: The owner is generous with salaries and rewards loyalty. Of course the more he pays you, the more he expects of you, which is understandable. Almost everyone gets a generous bonus at years end.

Cons

Among the higher positions and long time employees office politics rears its ugly head in contrast to the lower level employees who are happy to be working and appreciate each other. The owner is a hot-head whose angry tirades of verbal abuse while berating employees are legendary. No one likes to be cursed at and humiliated and although he's generous that doesn't give him the right to yell and scream at people.This "trickles down" to certain middle management and department heads who see this and adopt a similar behavior. The only time this is suppressed and has forced them to "mind their p's and q's" is when the wolf is at the door, i.e. when a union is trying to get in. Once the union is rejected and the threat is removed they go back to their old abusive ways and sadly since most of the workers are foreign and unfamiliar with the laws and customs here, they don't realize that they don't have to tolerate this behavior and that they have recourse to put a stop to it.

I've always said that if a company takes good care of its employees, there is no need for them to unionize. If the company can't maintain the same atmosphere of respect toward employees that they exhibited during their battle with the unions, then eventually a union will gain entry. The owner has spent a lot of money to bring in people from the outside for their experience and new ideas, but too many times I've seen the procedures that they have implemented overridden by top management. Don't bring in new talent for what they contribute and then bypass the rules and procedures they instituted and retain the right to complain to them later.

not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Line Leader  in  Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Line Leader in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Mana Products

Pros

steady work. no layoffs. pay is good. Facilities are clean and bright. There are some good benefits like a scholarship program and a 401k that has a good match to it. Just about everybody gets a bonus.

Cons

benefits program could be better

train your supervisors

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hourly personnel need not apply

Current Employee - Manufacturing  in  Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Mana Products

Pros

Great company lure. Very clean manufacturing environment.

Cons

Anyone hired after 2009 in manufacturing don't expect to stay. To keep their financials in order they either get long-term temps or they release you before your 90-day evaluation. I came in with a bunch of people and NONE OF US got hired after the 90-days. I quit a full-time job to just work for 90-days. Someone told me they aren't keeping us. But, we did good work. I got a lot of compliments from execs and met their clients.

Make benefits more affordable, whoever negotiates benefits sucks. All the guys are on their wife's insurance becuase family plan costs $250 a week! Stop lying to people about coming in full-time; just be honest and say its a temp job. You probabably won't get good labor like me but, at least it's honest.

poor

Current Employee - Line Leader  in  Long Is City, NY
    Current Employee - Line Leader in Long Is City, NY

I have been working at Mana Products

Pros

immigrant just a couple month for experience

Cons

feel inferior to others employers

none

Worked for Mana Products? Contribute to the Community!