Management Concepts

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.8

Thomas F. Dungan III

I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Approachable leadership team. Truly an open door environment.
    - Contributions are valued and recognized regularly. I feel like I am part of a team that wants to succeed.
    - Excellent work/life balance with flexible work arrangements possible
    - The company now allows employees who train service dogs to bring them into the office. Very cool!!
    - Communication has greatly improved.
    - Many people who leave find there way back here.

Cons

- Sometimes the next step in your career isn't available here due to the size of the company.

- Keep up the positive momentum and keep recognizing the top performers in the company.

Love it here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for many different types of organizations; established companies, start-ups, non-profits - you name it. I usually get itchy after about 3 years and ask myself whether I'm happy, challenged, content or is it time to move on. I've been with Management Concepts for 5 years and I don't want to work anywhere else. I am encouraged to be innovative and entrepreneurial every day. I have the freedom to manage, reward and motivate my team as I see fit. I am regularly recognized for my contributions and I work with the most dedicated people I've ever known. It's incredible how well this company hires. Everyone I work with has the highest of work ethic but seems to understand the balance of work and home. The flexibility we are given across the board is beyond anything I've experienced. I believe the executives have the employees best interest at heart and I know personnel decisions are made with great thought and compassion. I have a long way to go before I retire - but if they'll have me - I'm stayin'

Cons

We are all incredibly busy and sometimes I wish we could hire more people at a faster rate. We are in a real up-swing relative to growth but if I'm being honest - it's exhausting at times. Just too many balls in the air and that can cause stress and a lot of long hours.

There's been a real turn around recently in that the executive level seems more approachable. The federal sequester was handled magnificently and should be studied in business schools. No lie. The CEO made all of us feel we were in this together and we were going to make it through to the other side. He was right. Keep that momentum going. You created a sense of loyalty that you absolutely cannot put a price tag on.

Contract Trainer

Former Employee - Trainer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Concepts as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pays well and pays quick.

Cons

Does not offer adequate or effective acclimation to their material for the contract trainers.
    They entice you by saying start they will work with you for any flexibility you need in scheduling, but that appears to not be true. They will work you too much or not enough or drop you altogether.
    Almost all students are government employees so a Trainer can expect almost all are not equipped to take responsibility for their own learning.
    Expect a class will have a extremely wide rage of existing skill sets so expect the impossibility to satisfy every one.
    MC continues scheduling trainers based on their "would refer instructor to others" student score as opposed to having a high "skill improvement" score.
    With only the dissatisfied students completing a course evaluation, its impossible to feel good about the effort a Trainer has put forth.
    Bring your own competency skill set and your own Fed. Government experience to share, otherwise as a Trainer here you will not thrive.

Offer a training class to train and assess your trainers before putting them in front of your student / clients. It will improve everyone's experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experts at belittling staff members

Current Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are by the silver line. Easy access to their office or training

Cons

I think the entire management staff meets weekly and plots out who they want to witch hunt. I have never seen a place berate its employees for doing good work or for that matter ignore anything they have done well. So many talented team members are either fired, or they have enough sense to get out. Caught in a time machine in the 1960's Polaris missile program.

Good Managers don't just find faults in everyone and dig in their claws. They recognize strengths and let their staff grow and flourish. MCI is filled with vultures that are there to tear apart, create chaos and feed on negative results. The entire time I worked there I was never told I did a good job even though I helped bring in significant revenue from the development efforts. I was always told how bad I was. The place feeds on rumors and outdated coaching styles.

Decent company that can't get out of its own way. Talented, capable, willing employees: management demeans and destroys!

Current Employee - Senior Contributor
    Current Employee - Senior Contributor

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are smart, personable, experienced, and they work hard. Many projects run with a good team attitude. Products are mature and brand is recognized and respected... though only in the federal space. Employees appreciate each other's contributions. Some flex in work location and hours. Management is also experienced. Sharp people are attracted to what the firm appears to offer, but few stay.

Cons

Lack of innovation, products and approaches getting staler every quarter. Management often destroys the spirit of engagement and allows a passive aggressive leadership culture - expect the finger of blame to be pointed at you frequently as directors distract and deflect, especially if they are the ones to call the meeting with a corporate functional area such as sales or learning technologies. And some executives lack even basic fundamentals of human interaction like "I heard your child is in the hospital (or you), how are they doing?"

Most employees feel very underappreciated. Whales are hired in sales at massive salaries with pie in the sky expectations but the company does next to nothing to enable change, then gets disillusioned with their shiny all-stars who fail to produce. Meanwhile great talent leaves or is ushered out despite high or consistent performance, in sales and non-sales areas. Hence a talent and knowledge drain but management thinks key people are easily replaced failing to recognize contributions. Huge waste of money.

Management is also tone deaf to market changes, threats of federal shutdown, employee insights, ideas for innovation. Some deals are chased purely for top leadership ego reasons with no chance of winning. Legacy directors get away with damaging behaviour and stifle collaboration yet the executive team does nothing. Employees often ask how top leaders are missing out on the obvious.

Listen, observe, act. Employees have been signaling market and industry issues for years. Stop ignoring them as they want to help. Clue in to director level magic tricks. They don't want the left hand to know what the right hand is doing. Value sales and engagement and listen when they tell you the deal you want them to chase isn't winnable and that the other deals the divisions are sabotaging are winnable or that the customer isn't thrilled. Pay them closer to market rates.

Be realistic about roles as you have very capable people doing grunt work. Program managers are project managing, project managers are logistics coordinators, instructional designers are editors, sales leaders are sales operations staff and statisticians not strategic, product directors as proposal writers. Reconnect consultants, sales, engagement and product teams to align them to same purposes. Simplify processes instead of focusing so much on compliance that compelling work is compromised.

Allow employees to earn a piece of the pie with profit sharing. Don't tell them your "strategy" is to double the size of the company in five years when they already work very hard, especially when that effort only lines one person's pocket. Stop pretending you can suddenly win major 7-figure contracts when the firm's capabilities haven't changed or have lessened.

Besting your arch rival is meaningless if you don't have much of substance to show for it.

This USED to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time

Pros

Small and friendly company with small perks like last minute Holidays off. Great location near the new Silver line.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move due to long term employees staying in until retirement. Very Cliquish mentality. HR too friendly with supervisors so that it feels possible for one to voice concern without possible repercussions.

Create more positions so entry level folks can grow.

It is a roller coaster, but the ride is exhilarating.

Current Employee - Product Development  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Product Development in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Before coming to Management Concepts, I had never stayed in a position for more than two years. Some jobs didn't even last an entire year. I found a home here. The primary reason: this is a company that values entrepreneurship. Want to do something? They'll give you the freedom to try it. See something that isn't working, they'll let you fix it.

Another positive thing about working here is that management is project-based. What I mean by that is, that it's about the work you produce. If you deliver your assignments on time, on budget, and with quality, you'll find a flexible work environment. It's about the work you do and not how you do it.

You cannot talk about the best things about this company without talking about the people who work here. There are tons of people who are "all in." They care about the work they do, the work the company does, and the value we bring to our clients--agencies and individual students alike. It's the people you work with, who care as much as you do, that makes all the effort you put in worthwhile. And Management Concepts has plenty of good people.

Cons

There are a lot of negative comments on here and I wish I could say they're all wrong. There is some truth to what other have said.

We did go through a reduction in force. The sequester did change the trajectory of our growth and some tough decisions had to be made. There's no doubt that left some bad feelings. I do believe the Executive team did the best they could in the circumstances. I'm sure they made mistakes, and these are high-stakes decisions, but their duty is to the health of the company and the remaining employees. From my perspective, they made the hard decisions and that's what good leaders do.

Are we the most innovative training company out there? In a word, no. If you are looking for a job in the industry where you can use the latest and greatest technologies, then this is not the place for you. We meet our clients where they are and use the tools to do so. We are not in the dark ages. We design ILT, virtual ILT, self-paced eLearning, and are even branching into immersive environments. We are expanding beyond paper-based materials and bringing technologies into the classroom. We are focusing our efforts where they provide the most value for our clients and students. Is it going as fast as I'd like it to? No, but there is growth. Does everyone on the PD team have every learning technology on their machine? No, but they have access to them through a lab. Will you be able to do your most creative solution design? No, but you do get flex your creative muscles.

I'd say the hardest thing about working here is the churn. For the past five years or so, there's been one change after another. This takes its toll on morale.

I'll also recognize that the compensation does not compete with what other organizations pay instructional designers. I think it is reasonable, but if money drives you this is not the company for you.

Think critical chain. Focus resources on key initiatives rather than spreading them out over many. I think you'd see more would get accomplished (and faster) in the long run.

Strong Values, Good People, Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company was built on core values which encourage entrepreneurial spirit, collaboration, and a focus on client satisfaction. Those values are holding just as strong today as the day I started working here more than 10 years ago. I’ve had the privilege of working with (and for) some of the finest and best people I’ve ever known. The people here truly care about the work we do, the customers we serve, and the well-being of the company. Opportunities for growth are available to anyone with a positive attitude, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to be accountable. I’ve been able to grow and advance my career in so many ways during my time here and I’ve loved every minute.

Cons

Change – there have been a number of changes over the past couple of years, which is usually hard. Most changes have been focused on consistency and scalability of processes and infrastructure.

Best job of my entire life

I have been working at Management Concepts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked at Management Concepts for 11 years. Unlike other companies where roles are narrowly defined leading to boredom and career stagnation my experience is, if you are willing to step up and take a leadership position, Management Concepts will empower you. My role has expanded into all kinds of interesting and challenging areas that I never dreamed of 11 years ago. The company has a strong value system that supports loyal and committed, employees. Negative behavior, and people, are discouraged. The executives have a strong work ethic and sense of fair play that is modeled ever day.

Cons

We are still working our way through certain change initiatives which are always challenging.

Crippled by an inability to change.

I worked at Management Concepts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at this company for about 5 years. The people I worked with were nice and seemed to care about their products.

Cons

There is a very strong culture of not changing anything. We've always done it that way, so it has to be done that way. 20-year-old template and formatting process? Can't change it. Using super-expensive paper for our business cards? CEO likes it, can't change it. Hired an internal person who could do that work you've been outsourcing? Nope, still going to outsource it; can't change it. I can only thank them for laying me off, since my own department and coworkers were outsourcing work I was entirely capable of doing, right in front of me, because they'd always outsourced that job before, so they couldn't possibly give it to the internal hire. W.T.F. There were some glimmers of change before I left - moving to a CMS system for one, if they ever actually completed that project. But boy howdy, this was an entrenched culture of never changing anything.

Stop secretly laying off masses of your employees and maybe listen to some of them instead.

Worked for Management Concepts? Contribute to the Community!