Management Leadership for Tomorrow

1 Rating

Leading from the Inside/Out

Former Employee - Human Capital in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Capital in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Leadership for Tomorrow as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at MLT for approximately (7) months as a contractor. We were a small team but our reach was long and our work product impactful. I was supervised with gratitude and humility. My thoughts and work were valued. Creativity was applauded and in fact encouraged. One of the core values of MLT is scrappiness and that among other things is one's ability to be entrepreneurial. Many times I felt like I was given that freedom to create, improve systems and that, that self-starter mentality was appreciated.

Although a contractor, I was treated as a member of the team with full rights and privileges. My manager was often inundated with work but she had an open door policy. I was always treated with respect and dignity. MLT cultivates leaders for the world and it's important that, that same commitment is exhibited in their internal staffing choices.

What I enjoyed most about working at MLT is the people. I have never worked with such smart, capable people. As a staff, I believe we stretched one another and supported one another. Again, it's a small team but the energy and camaraderie is infectious. I made some lifelong friends there.

Cons

In some ways having a small team is a blessing and in other ways it could be a curse. There is a lot of work to be done and a small group to do it. Most employees understand that but you may not understand how much until you're in it. That being said, I think the company has built in some rewards for time away from family/personal life. The organization is also smart-sizing so this could be cured in time.

The organization needs to tighten the time-to-hire timeline. This was my own personal goal in the human capital department but we fell painfully short of realizing it. MLT attracts highly qualified, competitive individuals and we often lost great people because the hiring process was lengthy. This hurts hiring managers/their team, the organization and the candidate, alike.

You have an awesome staff of dedicated people. The staff believes in and lives the mission/vision of MLT. Continue to value the internal "faces" of MLT. Never stop raising the bar and doing great work!

N/A

I worked at Management Leadership for Tomorrow

Pros

Great colleagues in the organization and a diverse work environment

Cons

Should hire more employees; Small Staff = Exploiting Employees

Listen to your staff

It was a mixed bag.

I worked at Management Leadership for Tomorrow

Pros

Through working at MLT, you meet and gain access to many business leaders at top companies in the United States.

Cons

There were always lots of organizational changes, especially in leadership. Employees did not feel rewarded, satisfied or fairly compensated for the work done. Opinions and ideas of rank and file team members were not valued.

Great Mission, Horrifying Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Management Leadership for Tomorrow full-time

Pros

MLT brings together truly interesting and motivated young people who are dedicated to creating a true culture of inclusion in corporate America. An important community of minority leaders in the making.

Cons

MLT is an incredibly poorly run organization. Putting to the side the irony that none of the senior leadership includes minorities (except for John Rice), MLT has serious problems with staffing and turnover, problems that are readily explained. MLT hires incredibly competent people and then simultaneously overworks them while making it clear to them that they cannot be trusted to do their jobs. Every work experience was laced with unnecessary micromanagement. Intelligence and creativity were devalued as a central management tenet. Hierarchy at the organization is established for the sake of having hierarchy, not for advancing the mission of the organization. The organization itself was basically run in absentia, and yet no decisions could be made by the individuals who were "in the trenches" and most acquainted with the needs of their respective MLT populations. The general vibe of undeserved organizational self-aggrandizement was at once shocking and comical, and the utter disregard of staff and their important contributions was disturbing.

Recognize the power of an engaged and intelligent staff. Appreciate that the goals of the organization should apply to the organization as well. Allow staff to do the jobs you hired them for. Hire an Executive Director to actually run the organization.

Loved the mission and impact made. Leadership and employee empowerment lacking. Egotistical senior leader.

I worked at Management Leadership for Tomorrow full-time

Pros

Amazing mission. Able to impact lives. Provides access to great opportunities for its program participants. Program participants build great networks and feel sense of community. Wonderful access to individual, personalized coaching. Excellent opportunity for those who use the company's services and programs. Provides a relevant and much needed service.

Cons

Poorly run organization. No investment in staff, training, or technology. Worse treatment than Corporate America for minorities. Gives you a good sense of what working on a plantation must have been like. Rapid turnover. Shameless in self aggrandizement. Don't drink the kool-aid.

Treat your staff like professionals and value their contributions and opinions. Live true to your mission and invest in developing your people. Pay your people market rates. Figure out the direction you're going and craft a clear strategy around it. Hire a management team that has people skills and know how to manage/run a business.