Management Sciences for Health Reviews

• Arlington, VA
2.9
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Too many captains, not enough sailors.

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

The project work is fulfilling and gratifying.
    Very diverse group of international colleagues with impressive experience.

Cons

The organization is a group of isolated camps, creating fracture lines down through the organization, polarizing the people who have to interact across them.

Little incentive to cooperate, collaborate, share information, or team up to pursue mission-critical outcomes.

Mentoring or training and is viewed as a cost or expense rather than an investment.

There is basically a 1-3% difference in the raise a high performer receives and a lower less engaged employee. If your job requires you to work harder, why bother?

Advice to Management

Invest in your lower level staff and promote from within.

Hiring layer upon layer of management and executives from the outside doesn't fix the problems, it adds to them.

Focus on one primary goal, strategy, or problem long enough to gain momentum in solving it.

Poor professional development, potential for good work climate

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, including 4 weeks paid vacation plus 2 weeks of sick leave and miscellaneous holidays on top of that
    Lots of office celebrations in an attempt to boost morale
    Solid orientation system with extensive training

Cons

Huge gap between entry/mid and mid/senior professionals - revolving door at the bottom because senior staff is hesitant to train/promote from within
    Senior leadership is disengaged, disrespectful, and all of this is expected to simply be tolerated, even when senior leadership acknowledges there are severe issues
    CEO on a sabbatical...really?
    Pay is below industry average (they say it's because of the excellent benefits, but it still hurts around the time rent is due)
    Experience is completely dependent on your project/supervisors - very asymmetrical opportunities for growth depending on these factors
    Additional job categories have been inserted at the lower levels (Senior PA, Project Specialist, etc.) that didn't used to be there in an effort to pay lower salaries

Advice to Management

Standardize job categories and opportunities across the organization
    You can't expect to hire people with Peace Corps/Masters Degrees/2-3 years experience as an entry-level PA in the upper 30k range
    Don't be afraid to fire people - there are a handful (certainly not all) of Principal Technical Advisors/Project Directors who are wholly uncompetent, verbally abusive, and simply not up with the times. At the same time, there are a few really strong mid/senior level staff members (I'm not saying this selfishly, I am not one of them) who could really thrive in these positions if MSH worked to develop/promote from within.

3. Director

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

MSH is a mission-driven organization and that mission is integral to the day-to-day work. You never forget why you are here. Every week there are brown-bags, seminars, etc, held by staff to discuss programs and share knowledge and these are open to everyone across the organization. If you like to work in global environment, this is a great place.

Cons

The organization is going through change-- and that is never easy. However, it is the right direction and needs to happen.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on managing the change. Keep bringing employees into the conversation.

5. Lots of passion, diversity in the office, working towards a common goal

Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

I love working alongside passionate individuals who have the same mission that I do
    I feel like I am being supported and have the ability to seek out resources to grow professionally
    The organization really is creating health change abroad and has created a number of tools that are being used by individuals all over the world.
    I'm proud to work for MSH and proud of what the organization continues to accomplish

Cons

Not being used for my skillset
    I have a Master's degree but am not doing any type of work that is worthy of a Master's degree
    The organization is very USAID project focused - need to focus on innovation and thinking outside the box (away from government funding) and do something different to really ensure the organization's survival
    People in high level positions are afraid to stray from what they are used to doing - there is general mentality that if it's different than what has been done in the past, it won't work
    Low salaries, little money can be budgeted (if any) for career development
    Few opportunities for mid-level careers (many entry level and high level positions)

Advice to Management

MSH needs to become more of a supportive community. Staff from all over the world needs to know one another. It is especially telling by the fact that staff work on different floors in the same building in Arlington and Medford and don't know each other

Awful, truly a sinking ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

difficult to find 20 good words to say - some nice people who work hard but if they're smart they'll keep leaving

Cons

the whole SIAPS program is just a form of indentured servitude to USAID, you need written permission just to breathe; the whole thinking is going to come crashing down when SIAPS ends and there's nothing to follow, no doubt the CEO will make sure he's looked after and too bad for everyone else who'll be out of a job

Advice to Management

sack the CEO and senior management - replace them with people who can lead and have a strategic vision for the organisation - otherwise it will cease to exist after another year or two

7. Good place to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

I loved everyone I worked with. It really depends on who you have to work for and how they train you , but I got lucky. I got put under a really great team who are open to answering all of my questions. Everyone was really welcoming and helpful.

Cons

Sadly as an intern you are unpaid. Most of the leadership here is open to helping you and answering questions, while others are wondering why the unpaid intern is wasting their time. Again, it depends on who you talk to/ work under, but overall it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Communication between all necessary parties is sometimes lacking, especially between the higher ups and the lower levels. Can sometimes be too political for a nonprofit but that's what you get when everything is funded by USAID.

Terrible place to wprk

Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so interesting people and interesting work
    Plenty of opportunities to travel
    Worthwhile mission

Cons

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so plenty of opportunities for discrimination and nepotism
    Frequent travel is exhausting and poorly compensated
    Worthwhile mission in principle - but has strayed a long way from it
    Standard of work is surprisingly low
    Senior management team is extraordinarily poor - no leadership, just posturing, no communication, only noise

Advice to Management

Stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor that say the place is wonderful - noone believes them. Instead fix the problems. Can't you see the ship is sinking around you?

Solid, Caring Organization

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

MSH is a great place to work. I've worked at MSH for over 5 years. I've held 4 different jobs, 2 of them were promotions with good raises. I've always felt that my leaders were looking out for me, listening to me, and giving me opportunities for growth. Overall, salaries at MSH, in comparison to many other NGOs out there, are competitive; and the benefits package is outstanding.
    The other thing about MSH that I don't see elsewhere, is that people who leave want to come back. I've seen at least 10 employees make their way back into the organization after leaving for what they thought were greener pastures. I know of many more who want to come back. I think that says a lot about the type of organization MSH is.

Cons

MSH is a place where multiculturalism IS the norm - and because of that, it isn't the right fit for everyone. MSH is not perfect, it has its share of bad managers, communicators, and problem projects and people - but you'd be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't.
    Overall, MSHers at all levels care deeply about the impact of their work, and the managers I have worked with try to foster a good work-life balance and a friendly, warm working environment. I've truly enjoyed working here and intend to continue doing so!

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Program Officer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are flexible working hours and management is not strict about leave/vacation days..

Cons

no structure. every depart is siloed with their processes. no room for professional development (even senior staff jump ship after a brief stay) and most manager's have no sense of time management.

Advice to Management

we dont win many bids because of lack of planning and sending appropriate & qualified staff for pre-positioning.

11. Great place to work, ability to make impact, and contributions valued.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission is great and a lot of smart, committed people are dedicated to the core principle of the organization. A good place to make meaningful impact in global health. Lots of opportunities for career growth and advancement. Supportive, team oriented work environment.

Cons

I've been here a little less than a year and it takes a while to learn the various systems and processes.

Management Sciences for Health Photos