Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Reset
2.9
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Fun and relaxing work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Some people are dedicated to the mission (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• Little money for trainings and professional development (in 4 reviews)

1. Change is always unsettling but constant

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with MSH for just over 3 years now and I have seen a tremendous change in the organization. The transition from being one big family to a more corporate like environment has been visible but necessary. The organization has great people working here and I personally enjoy working here even if it seems chaotic at times. All organizations experience similar behaviors. The project staff are wonderful and continue to do the good work.

Cons

The changes that are currently associated with the reorganization is unsettling and the moral a little low. That is understandable and we all hope that once it is over, we can settle down and hopefully see the change in action. I do believe that it is the right direction and will enable MSH to focus on new business development.

Advice to Management

Middle Management need to step up and take ownership. They feel entitled and blame everything on the LT.

Good People, Good Company, Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who have a genuine desire to help improve the lives of the most vulnerable populations in the world. Wonderful environment, with good work/life balance (if you choose), encouraged employee creativity.

Cons

Poor compensation. Lack of good employee morale for junior and entry-level staff.

Advice to Management

My review of MSH is not different than any other. I love this organization and invested a good chunk of my passion into it. I enjoyed working with the people I work with and I feel that MSH is making some great changes but the implementation may not be the best. MSH knows its flaws, and they pick and choose which ones to battle. The untouched battle is employee turn around. MSH is losing employees on a fast pace and mainly because of compensation. Value your entry-level staff, this industry is small and one day they will be the technical leads making the changes that will bring the most value to MSH. My advice to management would be- work on keeping staff ($); unless its really your goal to clean house.

Horrific Mismanagement Rendering a Great Company Bad

Current Employee - Withheld in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Withheld in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent benefits, including top-notch health care and generous vacation leave (which they are now decreasing for new entry-level employees) -Physical work space is very pleasant

Cons

-Where to begin...I love working here because of the impact of my work, but the management just eats at my soul. To start with, we are going through a "reorganization" and for a company that is supposed to specialize in teaching others change management, it has been absolutely atrocious. They have not followed the communicated deadlines for layoffs, have flat-out locked senior employees out of the building with no notice, and have desperately begged employees to "please write good reviews on Glassdoor!". Amidst this reorganization, the CEO is taking a months-long sabbatical to write a book. Because apparently that's what a true leader does when your company is collapsing and losing bids left and right. -The general trend seems to be to keep the senior-level employees around no matter the cost, even when they have been proven to be grossly ineffective, incompetent, and at times verbally abusive. There is such a strong contingent of staff in the mid-level, but the company cannot seem to keep them around. -The wonderful benefits cannot justify the woefully inadequate pay. It is nowhere NEAR industry standard.

Advice to Management

-Invest in a young professionals program. -Get the Board to institute new leadership in the org. -Stop treating entry-level and mid-level employees like a disposable commodity, you're going to be up a creek without a paddle...and fast. -DON'T BE AFRAID TO FIRE PEOPLE WHO SHOULD BE FIRED

Sad face...

Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits -- the health plan is great. Good location. Some good people (less and less each day unfortunately).

Cons

I hate to just repeat what others are saying, but these reviews are on target. MSH has a good 'heart' - they want to help people. But unfortunately the folks at the top can't figure out how to make it work. Seriously, board members: The company has outgrown the current senior team. It happens - don't feel sad, just move on. Most of the people that have been here for 15+ years (not all, but many) are still operating like its 1995 as far as science and management expectations.

Advice to Management

First of all, show your face. Talking with us, not down to us. My advice to the board is: clean house - don't just drop bodies to save money. I don't know a single good person here who isn't looking for another opportunity, and the current spate of changes will just result in a brain-drain... this isn't what you're trying to achieve.

6. Strong Technical Staff doing Good Work

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

Pros

Similar to most workplaces, any employee's experience is going to be primarily influenced by the individuals he/she is working directly with on a day-to-day basis. My experience so far has been positive and I feel like I work with and have been introduced to many competent and caring technical staff.

Cons

When going through the hiring and new employee orientation process, things seemed quite disjointed, with "everyone and no one" responsible for ensuring new employees have the information they need. Hopefully the reorganization will help address that issue and consolidate roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen internal feedback mechanisms.

Fantastic benefits

Current Employee - Technical Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

Really great benefits, if you are on a good team with a good manager then it's a wonderful place to work. I was promoted from within, but not everyone has this opportunity. I really enjoy working here! Good culture and colleagues.

Cons

Single donor dependency, losing follow-ons and not winning new awards makes for an uncertain future. High turnover in the project associate positions and not enough are promoted into new positions to advance skills and career. Salaries are low and it seems the only way to get them to market rate are to leave MSH and come back. HR is difficult to work with and not transparent.

Advice to Management

Pay people the market rate, the pay is poor compared to some of our competitors.

Leadership needs to be removed before it is too late

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits for US staff, can be a good work environment depending on your specific team/project.

Cons

I have never witnessed such unprofessional behavior in my entire career. The level of disrespect from senior staff to junior staff, between field staff and hq, and the lack of accountability in this organization is truly stunning. The leadership team is in denial of the finances of the company and completely aloof to the plight of the staff who have to do the work. The technical quality and skills of the company are stuck in the 90s and nothing innovative technically has come out of this company in a long time. Most of the country reps are not suitable for the job but no one wants to remove them. Some of the recent senior hires particularly in global partnerships make no sense and will probably destroy whatever reputation we have left.

Advice to Management

How have you let this company get to this point? Since you have not made the hard choices, usaid will make them for you and you will lose most of your projects. I am outraged as a U.S. Taxpayer at the waste of funds in this organization.

Too many captains, not enough sailors.

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

The project work is fulfilling and gratifying. Very diverse group of international colleagues with impressive experience.

Cons

The organization is a group of isolated camps, creating fracture lines down through the organization, polarizing the people who have to interact across them. Little incentive to cooperate, collaborate, share information, or team up to pursue mission-critical outcomes. Mentoring or training and is viewed as a cost or expense rather than an investment. There is basically a 1-3% difference in the raise a high performer receives and a lower less engaged employee. If your job requires you to work harder, why bother?

Advice to Management

Invest in your lower level staff and promote from within. Hiring layer upon layer of management and executives from the outside doesn't fix the problems, it adds to them. Focus on one primary goal, strategy, or problem long enough to gain momentum in solving it.

10. Director

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

MSH is a mission-driven organization and that mission is integral to the day-to-day work. You never forget why you are here. Every week there are brown-bags, seminars, etc, held by staff to discuss programs and share knowledge and these are open to everyone across the organization. If you like to work in global environment, this is a great place.

Cons

The organization is going through change-- and that is never easy. However, it is the right direction and needs to happen.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on managing the change. Keep bringing employees into the conversation.

11. Lots of passion, diversity in the office, working towards a common goal

Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

I love working alongside passionate individuals who have the same mission that I do I feel like I am being supported and have the ability to seek out resources to grow professionally The organization really is creating health change abroad and has created a number of tools that are being used by individuals all over the world. I'm proud to work for MSH and proud of what the organization continues to accomplish

Cons

Not being used for my skillset I have a Master's degree but am not doing any type of work that is worthy of a Master's degree The organization is very USAID project focused - need to focus on innovation and thinking outside the box (away from government funding) and do something different to really ensure the organization's survival People in high level positions are afraid to stray from what they are used to doing - there is general mentality that if it's different than what has been done in the past, it won't work Low salaries, little money can be budgeted (if any) for career development Few opportunities for mid-level careers (many entry level and high level positions)

Advice to Management

MSH needs to become more of a supportive community. Staff from all over the world needs to know one another. It is especially telling by the fact that staff work on different floors in the same building in Arlington and Medford and don't know each other

RSS Feed </> Embed