Management Sciences for Health Reviews

56 reviews filtered by
2.7
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Supportive, team oriented work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Good work/life balance and teleworking is possible (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• no room for professional development (even senior staff jump ship after a brief stay) and most manager's have no sense of time management (in 4 reviews)

1. OK

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefit. Compensation is average or below. Very diverse culture. People from all over the world. Generally have great personalities.

Cons

No room for growth despite the efforts. It's common for people to leave. You see people come and go.

A Great Place to Work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Leadership that cares deeply about employees and effectively/efficiently achieving the mission to serve others. Employees are given the accountability and authority necessary to succeed in achieving results. You don't find many places where the CEO, COO and VP of HR will actually meet with staff to increase employee satisfaction. COO inspires staff to achieve impact.

Cons

No cons at all. I look forward to going to work each and everyday! MSH is a great place to work.

Stay on the path to 3E + 2A and the 3Rs. This is what makes MSH a great place to work!

3. Good place to get your foot in the door.

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

I loved everyone I worked with. It really depends on who you have to work for and how they train you , but I got lucky. I got put under a really great team who are open to answering all of my questions. Everyone was really welcoming and helpful.

Cons

Sadly as an intern you are unpaid. Most of the leadership here is open to helping you and answering questions, while others are wondering why the unpaid intern is wasting their time. Again, it depends on who you talk to/ work under, but overall it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Communication between all necessary parties is sometimes lacking, especially between the higher ups and the lower levels. Can sometimes be too political for a nonprofit but that's what you get when everything is funded by USAID.

Terrible place to wprk

Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so interesting people and interesting work
    Plenty of opportunities to travel
    Worthwhile mission

Cons

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so plenty of opportunities for discrimination and nepotism
    Frequent travel is exhausting and poorly compensated
    Worthwhile mission in principle - but has strayed a long way from it
    Standard of work is surprisingly low
    Senior management team is extraordinarily poor - no leadership, just posturing, no communication, only noise

Stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor that say the place is wonderful - noone believes them. Instead fix the problems. Can't you see the ship is sinking around you?

Sadly a sinking ship

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission, benefits are decent and the in-country field staff are great

Cons

Where do I begin. CEO: very out of touch with the real issues at MSH, going on a (paid) sabbatical during the current worst time of the organization's state and we haven't won any real large projects, preaches the mission and vision of MSH when he doesn't adhere to them himself, his approach and work-style of commands is top-down, his EA of 10 years suddenly left or was she pushed out because she knew too much either way doesn't look good for him. He's now supposedly writing a book during his sabbatical yet it's for MSH? Hmmmm. COO: seems to be trying yet it's evident that he's not supposed by the CEO as one person can't simply be handling all the mega issues, with him if he like you're golden if not you're blackballed, he's impossible to even get a meeting because his EA is unapproachable and has an attitude, Leadership Team: dysfunctional, beat to their own drum and they seem to really not like each other, there's leaks of confidential information. CFO: seems OK but she plays favorites her unit is very under staffed and they only hire temps. Communications between supervisors, directors, senior leaders to their direct reports are poor in general, I've witnessed over and over again humiliation yet people are afraid to approach HR in fear of the consequences. I'll admit, so am I.

Unless there's a real movement to really to change the organization for the better, it will only continue to sink. I highly suggest turning to the working staff in the field that are doing all the real work and trying to make impact on health, they should be tapped into more for leadership and resources not the highly-paid non-performers at the HQ. The founders of MSH, (if they don't already know) would be devastated if they all knew.

Needs leadership and direction

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing field staff
    Solid staff in pharma unit
    Some new hires have been good

Cons

Hired 2 VPs for development jobs who didn't meet the minimum job qualifications
    Most of the Global Technical Leads need to leave because they are not up on what's happening in their field
    Too many junior staff flying to developing countries as experts when they don't have the skills, it's insulting to the field

Stop overpaying for minimum output, you are losing the good people
    If a hire doesn't work, just let it go
    Stop undermining one another
    Hold senior staff accountable for their work output

TOXIC TOXIC TOXIC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Great benefits, good people, good mission

Cons

CEO and COO don't appear to intuned with each other. COO seems more genuine than CEO. Leadership Team that are NOT leaders.

Solid, Caring Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

MSH is a great place to work. I've worked at MSH for over 5 years. I've held 4 different jobs, 2 of them were promotions with good raises. I've always felt that my leaders were looking out for me, listening to me, and giving me opportunities for growth. Overall, salaries at MSH, in comparison to many other NGOs out there, are competitive; and the benefits package is outstanding.
    The other thing about MSH that I don't see elsewhere, is that people who leave want to come back. I've seen at least 10 employees make their way back into the organization after leaving for what they thought were greener pastures. I know of many more who want to come back. I think that says a lot about the type of organization MSH is.

Cons

MSH is a place where multiculturalism IS the norm - and because of that, it isn't the right fit for everyone. MSH is not perfect, it has its share of bad managers, communicators, and problem projects and people - but you'd be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't.
    Overall, MSHers at all levels care deeply about the impact of their work, and the managers I have worked with try to foster a good work-life balance and a friendly, warm working environment. I've truly enjoyed working here and intend to continue doing so!

Project Associate

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Very cool colleagues but poor supervisors

Cons

The Boston Office doesn't allow for upward mobility for PA's. Very poor administrative processes so you end up doing everything manually.

Fix you directors' management skills. Automate processes

Smart people and great company mission but limited leadership direction

Pros

As junior staff, I feel that my inputs are valued. My supervisor is supportive and always "has my back". There are many opportunities for growth within the organization and the benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Leadership doesn't have a thorough understanding of MSH's role in the health sector. Although not a major problem in my particular department, many junior staff in other departments feel there is limited room for growth. Senior staff are often disrespectful to others (including fellow senior staff) and there seems to be limited consequences for such behavior. There is an overarching "negative" culture that is hard to combat - but it is doable and it takes the efforts of many to change organizational culture.

Management Sciences for Health Photos