Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Reset
2.8
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Fun and relaxing work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Some people are dedicated to the mission (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• Little money for trainings and professional development (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, supporting a really worth-while cause. Allowed me to feel good about my work while maintaining my ideal work/life balance.

Cons

I was not looking for a career, just a job during a transitional time in my life; I therefore didn't push to ensure my tasks remained fully engaging, or try to advance my career. Someone with more ambition would likely have had a different experience.

A Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing office in Medford. Some great co-workers that make every day fun and worthwhile. Challenging work.

Cons

Where to begin? I wish I could say that management was "clueless", as others have suggested, but unfortunately I believe they are quite aware, but actually indifferent, to the day to day challenges faced by employees on the front lines. You are valued for how well you manage UP the chain of command. What your direct reports think or feel about you does not impact your success. In fact it seems the unhappier a group, the more promotions the supervisor/manager gets. Which says something about what MSH values. The CFO is distant and has absolutely no rapport with the little people who work for her. Resources are stretched thin, both lack of sufficient competent staff and process and computer systems that aren't up to the task. Performance expectations are laughably unrealistic and leave employees drained and demoralized. Some of the field staff are paid exorbitant salaries and benefits while indirect employees are not compensated fairly. I could go on and on, but there are only so many allotted characters, so I'll stop here.

Advice to Management

Why bother with advice to management. They ARE the problem.

Leadership change desperately needed

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - lots of vacation and holiday time, fantastic health benefits. If you work in the field, you may be shielded from the politics of the home office. Salaries are typically competitive, as long as your salary is within the USG salary caps.

Cons

Highly political HQ, lack of transparency and strategic vision at the top, public health and MD degrees are valued over actual project management and development skills. Bureaucracy is overwhelming. The new country leadership structure is erratic and random. Yes, change is happening, but change is the norm at MSH - there are massive amounts of resources put into new re-organization initiatives just about every year and they are never finished before the next initiative starts with little rationale why a course has been changed.

Advice to Management

It is time for a leadership change in the entire C suite. MSH needs a fresh direction, commitment to transparency and quality, and a real understanding of how to be relevant and competitive. Embrace that you are a government contractor OR accept that to be a traditional NGO, you need to be a different organization - trying to be both is not working and a waste of precious resources. Focus on junior/mid-level staff and grow the next generation of leaders. Do not tolerate bad behavior at any level of the organization.

Project Associate

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

For a "fresh out of college" is a great opportunity. Good environment, nice people!

Cons

Low pay compared to other organizations

6. MSH review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Global presence with core technical business related to strengthening health systems. Such a diversity provides a great opportunity to work and learn in various settings and health disease areas. Great benefit package for all full-time employees.

Cons

Too bureaucratic internal systems. Need to improve management style. Technical leadership is not uniform. There are some silos across many technical areas. Technical centers have also become quite territorial with limited synergies.

Advice to Management

Improve efficiency at various levels of the organization. Consider consolidation of technical teams to improve technical leadership. Build better systems in place across a small number of core/key functions.

A great organization gone to the dogs

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Employees in the field are generally committed, talented, hard-working. When they have the supports they need, they do exceptional public health work for some of the world's most disadvantaged people. Some excellent US-based or staff have started at entry-level positions and been given great professional opportunities

Cons

The atmosphere in the home office in Massachusetts is poisonous. The leaders use language that's meant to be inspirational but that staff recognize as meaningless and cynical. What was once an exciting, stimulating, challenging home for top-flight public health professionals has become tense, internally competitive, fearfull atmosphere. Excellent people have been let go for not toeing the line or for costing too much (though many excessively high-priced people remain). All of this is largely due to the two leaders, their unfortunate choices for the top management team, and the stifling of dissenting voices.

Advice to Management

I can't think of what would help except to find a new CEO and COO. Hardly likely.

The reviews get worse but the ratings get better - why is that Glassdoor? Is MSH paying you to keep the ratings up?

Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

Some god people and a worthwhile mission - but little else

Cons

Hopeless lack of leadership. Immeasurable incompetence. The board are as clearly as hopeless as the C-Suite otherwise they'd have fired them by now.

Advice to Management

Unless you pack your bags and go now the organization will cease to exist within 2 years

Skeleton Crew

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

I have met some amazingly talented and brilliant people at MSH however very few remain after they recognized how clueless and self absorbed the Senior Leadership has become.

Cons

Senior leadership has forgotten that project staff (not them) are the people that make the organization look good and bring in new work.
    A multitude of changes in 1 year with no transparency or logic has caused the organization to hemorrhage the best employees.
    The hardest working staff are paid the least and treated with little respect though most are sitting on years of experience and masters degrees.
    High paid upper management positions continue to be created and filled while project staff dwindles and stress increases on the few remaining employees.
    Many departments are short on staff and behind on work because of a lack of direction and understanding causing a ripple effect across the organization.
    Zero room for growth and any upward movement is only available when staff quit because of frustration with the organization.

Advice to Management

In over 3 years I have watched this organization go from a brilliant, respectable functioning place to a sinking ship that everyone can't wait to get off. The CEO used to make a presence in every department and visit staff working after hours, these days no one has seen anyone in upper management visit in over a year.
    Stop hiring VP's and upper management positions and invest in your project staff and new business teams.

Not such a great NGO

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

The mission of the organization.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking. There is no integrity.

Advice to Management

Learn to make business decisions - not emotional ones

Fantastic benefits

Current Employee - Technical Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits, if you are on a good team with a good manager then it's a wonderful place to work. I was promoted from within, but not everyone has this opportunity. I really enjoy working here! Good culture and colleagues.

Cons

Single donor dependency, losing follow-ons and not winning new awards makes for an uncertain future. High turnover in the project associate positions and not enough are promoted into new positions to advance skills and career. Salaries are low and it seems the only way to get them to market rate are to leave MSH and come back. HR is difficult to work with and not transparent.

Advice to Management

Pay people the market rate, the pay is poor compared to some of our competitors.

RSS Feed </> Embed