Management Sciences for Health

Updated January 29, 2015
2.9

Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Interesting work but dismal atmosphere

Current Employee - Senior Program Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Program Associate

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Very exciting to be working in Global Health and to have opportunities to travel. Inspired by the Mission.

Cons

Leadership feels fragmented. Too many "priorities," some at cross purposes. Work is more stressful than it needs to be. In spite of values statement, disrespectful communication is tolerated. Poor morale.

CEO and COO need to be on the same page. If not, one of them should go.

Solid, Caring Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

MSH is a great place to work. I've worked at MSH for over 5 years. I've held 4 different jobs, 2 of them were promotions with good raises. I've always felt that my leaders were looking out for me, listening to me, and giving me opportunities for growth. Overall, salaries at MSH, in comparison to many other NGOs out there, are competitive; and the benefits package is outstanding.
    The other thing about MSH that I don't see elsewhere, is that people who leave want to come back. I've seen at least 10 employees make their way back into the organization after leaving for what they thought were greener pastures. I know of many more who want to come back. I think that says a lot about the type of organization MSH is.

Cons

MSH is a place where multiculturalism IS the norm - and because of that, it isn't the right fit for everyone. MSH is not perfect, it has its share of bad managers, communicators, and problem projects and people - but you'd be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't.
    Overall, MSHers at all levels care deeply about the impact of their work, and the managers I have worked with try to foster a good work-life balance and a friendly, warm working environment. I've truly enjoyed working here and intend to continue doing so!

Smart people and great company mission but limited leadership direction

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As junior staff, I feel that my inputs are valued. My supervisor is supportive and always "has my back". There are many opportunities for growth within the organization and the benefits are fantastic.

Cons

Leadership doesn't have a thorough understanding of MSH's role in the health sector. Although not a major problem in my particular department, many junior staff in other departments feel there is limited room for growth. Senior staff are often disrespectful to others (including fellow senior staff) and there seems to be limited consequences for such behavior. There is an overarching "negative" culture that is hard to combat - but it is doable and it takes the efforts of many to change organizational culture.

Awful. Do not even consider working here.

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

4 weeks of vacation, generally better work life balance than the for-profit world (although this varies based on function), younger staff are nice and approachable.

Cons

Leadership is ineffective and nonexistent. They've been trying to find a new VP of business development for months and nobody seems to want the job, which is no wonder considering the poor quality of proposals lately and the declining reputation of MSH. The CEO and COO are totally ineffective. They both seem clueless and don't seem to understand their jobs. Also, the CEO recently announced that he's taking a 5 month "sabbatical" away from the company. Excuse me? Sabbatical? You mean paid vacation? The fact that a CEO needs a "sabbatical" should cause one to question whether or not he should be the CEO.

Internally, this place is a mess. There are quite a lot of very senior, highly paid people who don't do very much but are kept around because they're friendly with someone important. At the same time, opportunities for junior staff are very limited, and staff are not encouraged to advance themselves. People often get trapped here, railroaded into a specific function. The organization is not structured efficiently, and although there have been steps taken to fix this, it is still a major problem and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

There is very little direction, and it is very apparent that the senior leadership have no idea what they're doing. They have failed to run a viable business, and have turned a once-thriving and vibrant culture into a workplace with low morale and poor performance.

My supervisor does not communicate well with me and my colleagues, which creates an unnecessarily difficult and stressful work environment. I feel very isolated, and have no expectation that anyone would support me if I had an issue. My supervisor is not an advocate for me - this is a theme in keeping with the pervasive trend at MSH.

If you aren't able to nurture a positive culture while leading with clear direction and purpose, step aside and let someone else try. Personally, I think you are all in way over your head, but unfortunately the board is too removed from the company to understand this.

There are some good building blocks here if senior management was able to take advantage of them. There are plenty of people who want to make this place better, and have good ideas on how to do that, but they are never heard from.

Project Associate

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Very cool colleagues but poor supervisors

Cons

The Boston Office doesn't allow for upward mobility for PA's. Very poor administrative processes so you end up doing everything manually.

Fix you directors' management skills. Automate processes

The most toxic environment I've seen in my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Interesting, challenging work
    - Truly global - people in the field and those who cycle through headquarters
    - Good work goes on "in the field"

Cons

In my career, I have not encountered a nastier, more miserable group of people. Founded with a noble mission, they have strayed far from their roots. Headquarters-led efforts to drive increased performance, compete in a competitive world, and build efficient systems and processes have largely been failures, and in the process they have lost their humanity.
    - Political, nasty, backstabbing work culture
    - Headquarters ivory tower, isolated and insensitive to good work that goes on in the field
    - Availability expected during evenings, weekends, vacations
    - Individual rewards based on favoritism rather than performance
    - Lack of career advancement opportunities for middle-level or senior-level professionals
    - Weak, competitive, and unaligned senior team
    - They have burned out and pushed out many high-quality professionals. However, everyone I know is happier after they've left.

Change only comes from the top - the very top. Nothing will change until the CEO or COO goes.

Exciting place to work with great opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

Pros

A strong mission that attracts intelligent, and passionate individuals.
    Supportive environment that fosters professional and personal growth.
    Endless opportunities to engage with and learn from a diverse group of dedicated professionals.

Cons

I truly enjoy working for MSH; nothing negative to say.

Most stressful workplace

I worked at Management Sciences for Health part-time

Pros

I gained valuable experience in government relations and event planning. The office was also a beautiful location and we had access to complimentary coffee and tea all day.

Cons

I experienced poor communication from supervisors both to me and between each other which made my job uncessisarily difficult. I also saw very clear favoritism and disrespect for deadlines among department leaders.

Please take a course on interpersonal communication and lead by example in managing event related stress.

Management is AWOL

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work; opportunities for telecommuting - some of the time

Cons

For an organisation that promotes the so-called 'tao of leadership' this one doesn't have any. Senior management is completely AWOL. High ups from head office in Boston rarely darken the doors of the Arlington office and if they do they never leave their offices. The CEO has just announced a new policy of sabbaticals for the 'senior leadership team' and his way of leading is to be the first to take four months off - at a really critical time for the organisation's future - which doesn't say much for the judgement of either him or the board. Morale is appalling; HR is inept and obstructionist (and behaves like a core function instead of a support dept); the quality of the product is declining. Sad to see what was once a good organisation reduced to such a state by the ineptitude of an ego-driven management team who really have no idea of what goes on in the trenches.

Find a CEO with vision and commitment, and the wherewithal to really lead. Get poor performers out of senior positions and put in people who can get the job done. Stop treating the staff as if they are stupid and cant see beyond the ends of their noses. The organisation could be terrific, but at this rate is going to go out backwards .

Many changes

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Superb collection of talent with diverse training, experience, background, nationality.
    Major contributions to public health on many fronts

Cons

Senior Management are not aligned

Management Sciences for Health Photos