Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Reset
2.9
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Fun and relaxing work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Some people are dedicated to the mission (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• Little money for trainings and professional development (in 4 reviews)

1. Strong Technical Staff doing Good Work

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Similar to most workplaces, any employee's experience is going to be primarily influenced by the individuals he/she is working directly with on a day-to-day basis. My experience so far has been positive and I feel like I work with and have been introduced to many competent and caring technical staff.

Cons

When going through the hiring and new employee orientation process, things seemed quite disjointed, with "everyone and no one" responsible for ensuring new employees have the information they need. Hopefully the reorganization will help address that issue and consolidate roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen internal feedback mechanisms.

Smart but nasty staffers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission. Some excellent staff. Org has been around a long time and has a decent reputation.

Cons

Full of bullies. Mediocre Board. Lots of burnout.

Advice to Management

Get the bully mentality out. You keep losing the best people.

Sad face...

Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

Pros

Good benefits -- the health plan is great. Good location. Some good people (less and less each day unfortunately).

Cons

I hate to just repeat what others are saying, but these reviews are on target. MSH has a good 'heart' - they want to help people. But unfortunately the folks at the top can't figure out how to make it work. Seriously, board members: The company has outgrown the current senior team. It happens - don't feel sad, just move on. Most of the people that have been here for 15+ years (not all, but many) are still operating like its 1995 as far as science and management expectations.

Advice to Management

First of all, show your face. Talking with us, not down to us. My advice to the board is: clean house - don't just drop bodies to save money. I don't know a single good person here who isn't looking for another opportunity, and the current spate of changes will just result in a brain-drain... this isn't what you're trying to achieve.

A Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing office in Medford. Some great co-workers that make every day fun and worthwhile. Challenging work.

Cons

Where to begin? I wish I could say that management was "clueless", as others have suggested, but unfortunately I believe they are quite aware, but actually indifferent, to the day to day challenges faced by employees on the front lines. You are valued for how well you manage UP the chain of command. What your direct reports think or feel about you does not impact your success. In fact it seems the unhappier a group, the more promotions the supervisor/manager gets. Which says something about what MSH values. The CFO is distant and has absolutely no rapport with the little people who work for her. Resources are stretched thin, both lack of sufficient competent staff and process and computer systems that aren't up to the task. Performance expectations are laughably unrealistic and leave employees drained and demoralized. Some of the field staff are paid exorbitant salaries and benefits while indirect employees are not compensated fairly. I could go on and on, but there are only so many allotted characters, so I'll stop here.

Advice to Management

Why bother with advice to management. They ARE the problem.

Leadership change desperately needed

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - lots of vacation and holiday time, fantastic health benefits. If you work in the field, you may be shielded from the politics of the home office. Salaries are typically competitive, as long as your salary is within the USG salary caps.

Cons

Highly political HQ, lack of transparency and strategic vision at the top, public health and MD degrees are valued over actual project management and development skills. Bureaucracy is overwhelming. The new country leadership structure is erratic and random. Yes, change is happening, but change is the norm at MSH - there are massive amounts of resources put into new re-organization initiatives just about every year and they are never finished before the next initiative starts with little rationale why a course has been changed.

Advice to Management

It is time for a leadership change in the entire C suite. MSH needs a fresh direction, commitment to transparency and quality, and a real understanding of how to be relevant and competitive. Embrace that you are a government contractor OR accept that to be a traditional NGO, you need to be a different organization - trying to be both is not working and a waste of precious resources. Focus on junior/mid-level staff and grow the next generation of leaders. Do not tolerate bad behavior at any level of the organization.

7. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, supporting a really worth-while cause. Allowed me to feel good about my work while maintaining my ideal work/life balance.

Cons

I was not looking for a career, just a job during a transitional time in my life; I therefore didn't push to ensure my tasks remained fully engaging, or try to advance my career. Someone with more ambition would likely have had a different experience.

Micromanagement to the bone

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Can't think of anything. Layoffs have begun and each week there are at least a couple of people who jump this sinking ship or get canned, but the bad leaders remain. I've never worked somewhere that tells me exactly how to word basic emails, where everyone belittles you if you're entry-level, and where SPOs are just looking to through you under the bus

Cons

-Operations, Contracts, and Finance have no accountability. If you are project staff you will en up doing their work for them. They get sent to trips in the field but never do a good job training field staff, and hardly show up to meetings at home office. Best of all, they won't even tell you they're not coming. Most of the time they "work from home" and don't respond -Some of the most intense personalities I've ever worked for. The people fall into 2 categories: abrasive bully or indirect/passive aggressive. -HR creates extra levels into between positions so that each promotion is only a couple of grand increase, and you must wait a full year to move to the next level. We have people with Masters and 7 years of experience who are getting paid 42k. -It's public knowledge that we've lost all major rebids because our technical strategy is weak yet no one is firing the VP of Supply Chain or the Technical Advisors. They keep recycling the same idea and feel threatened when someone proposes something new.

Advice to Management

You're not getting rid of the right people. The CEO, COO, VPs of Finance, VP of HR, VP of operations/contracts, a few portfolio directors, and most of the Technical Advisors need to get fired.

Project Associate

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

For a "fresh out of college" is a great opportunity. Good environment, nice people!

Cons

Low pay compared to other organizations

A great organization gone to the dogs

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Employees in the field are generally committed, talented, hard-working. When they have the supports they need, they do exceptional public health work for some of the world's most disadvantaged people. Some excellent US-based or staff have started at entry-level positions and been given great professional opportunities

Cons

The atmosphere in the home office in Massachusetts is poisonous. The leaders use language that's meant to be inspirational but that staff recognize as meaningless and cynical. What was once an exciting, stimulating, challenging home for top-flight public health professionals has become tense, internally competitive, fearfull atmosphere. Excellent people have been let go for not toeing the line or for costing too much (though many excessively high-priced people remain). All of this is largely due to the two leaders, their unfortunate choices for the top management team, and the stifling of dissenting voices.

Advice to Management

I can't think of what would help except to find a new CEO and COO. Hardly likely.

Not such a great NGO

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

The mission of the organization.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking. There is no integrity.

Advice to Management

Learn to make business decisions - not emotional ones

RSS Feed </> Embed