Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Reset
2.8
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Fun and relaxing work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Some people are dedicated to the mission (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• Little money for trainings and professional development (in 4 reviews)

Good Bones but Limping Along

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is actually much better than other organizations Flexible work environment Great country based staff

Cons

Surprisingly there are some serious issues around race at MSH, senior staff have asked people their ethnic background in interviews and others made negative remarks about "Africans" and no one thought it was a problem. A bit into "patriarchal development" Sending all white people to the country office to "train" the brown people

Advice to Management

Get organized Focus on stronger technical staff and staff from developing countries, they are usually more knowledgeable than most of the home office staff More diversity is needed in staff going to the country offices, Medford is almost all white. What message is that sending?

Project Associate

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, learning opportunities, values, culture, diversity

Cons

Compensation, senior management, low advancement, politics, hierarchy

3. Principal Technical Advisor

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great People, nice office, good benefits

Cons

Very little cross organizational cooperation. No strategy for retaining talented staff

5. Great organization with excellent benefits

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great people to work with in a mission driven organization. Benefits are excellent and the location is Medford, MA is really beautiful.

Cons

It's not really a con, but the organization is currently going through a transformation that can be unsettling for some. It's a much-needed change and senior management is continuing to update employees along the way in an effort to be open and honest in their communication.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the lines of communication open with a level of transparency and engage employees in discussions to obtain feedback.

6. Change is always unsettling but constant

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with MSH for just over 3 years now and I have seen a tremendous change in the organization. The transition from being one big family to a more corporate like environment has been visible but necessary. The organization has great people working here and I personally enjoy working here even if it seems chaotic at times. All organizations experience similar behaviors. The project staff are wonderful and continue to do the good work.

Cons

The changes that are currently associated with the reorganization is unsettling and the moral a little low. That is understandable and we all hope that once it is over, we can settle down and hopefully see the change in action. I do believe that it is the right direction and will enable MSH to focus on new business development.

Advice to Management

Middle Management need to step up and take ownership. They feel entitled and blame everything on the LT.

Good People, Good Company, Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who have a genuine desire to help improve the lives of the most vulnerable populations in the world. Wonderful environment, with good work/life balance (if you choose), encouraged employee creativity.

Cons

Poor compensation. Lack of good employee morale for junior and entry-level staff.

Advice to Management

My review of MSH is not different than any other. I love this organization and invested a good chunk of my passion into it. I enjoyed working with the people I work with and I feel that MSH is making some great changes but the implementation may not be the best. MSH knows its flaws, and they pick and choose which ones to battle. The untouched battle is employee turn around. MSH is losing employees on a fast pace and mainly because of compensation. Value your entry-level staff, this industry is small and one day they will be the technical leads making the changes that will bring the most value to MSH. My advice to management would be- work on keeping staff ($); unless its really your goal to clean house.

Horrific Mismanagement Rendering a Great Company Bad

Current Employee - Withheld in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Withheld in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent benefits, including top-notch health care and generous vacation leave (which they are now decreasing for new entry-level employees) -Physical work space is very pleasant

Cons

-Where to begin...I love working here because of the impact of my work, but the management just eats at my soul. To start with, we are going through a "reorganization" and for a company that is supposed to specialize in teaching others change management, it has been absolutely atrocious. They have not followed the communicated deadlines for layoffs, have flat-out locked senior employees out of the building with no notice, and have desperately begged employees to "please write good reviews on Glassdoor!". Amidst this reorganization, the CEO is taking a months-long sabbatical to write a book. Because apparently that's what a true leader does when your company is collapsing and losing bids left and right. -The general trend seems to be to keep the senior-level employees around no matter the cost, even when they have been proven to be grossly ineffective, incompetent, and at times verbally abusive. There is such a strong contingent of staff in the mid-level, but the company cannot seem to keep them around. -The wonderful benefits cannot justify the woefully inadequate pay. It is nowhere NEAR industry standard.

Advice to Management

-Invest in a young professionals program. -Get the Board to institute new leadership in the org. -Stop treating entry-level and mid-level employees like a disposable commodity, you're going to be up a creek without a paddle...and fast. -DON'T BE AFRAID TO FIRE PEOPLE WHO SHOULD BE FIRED

In a sorry state

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, from entry level to mid-level management are so committed to the work. MSH has a good mission, and is doing important work in the field.

Cons

Many (so many) of the more senior managers sadly only seem to be only committed to themselves and their own advancement. And the senior level leadership team doesn't even care. I left a year ago but reports from my friends still there paint an even bleaker picture, with layoffs actively underway.

Advice to Management

My advice isn't to management, it is a scolding to the board: Wake up! I'm pretty sure you, dear board members, are aware of the problems. And yet the senior leadership team--I'm not talking about those formerly known as center VPs, but the others--is still there. Well, except for the one who is on sabbatical.

MSH makes me sad now

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great teams - Dedicated workers, who are very capable, knowledgeable, and committed - Valuable mission. Doing good work throughout the world - Amazing PTO, flexible schedule - Experience to work with USG funder & learn processes (this is helpful if you plan on being in international development for awhile. You will have the chance to see what functions, what doesn't, and how things generally work/don't work) - Nice workspace

Cons

- Upper management is disconnected - HR is the worst. Nice people, but not willing to work with employees. It feels like they are only there for the benefit of the leadership, even though the organization is made up of so many non-leadership employees who are largely ignored by HR (and management) and made to feel under-valued. - Pay is ABYSMAL. When I left MSH, I got an immediate 33% increase to my salary in my new position. And that is on the low end of what my peers are making. - The re-structure, however necessary, isn't being handled well. For an organization that has "management" in the name, this is baffling. - Lack of opportunities for mid-career folks. Lots of entry level, not a lot of middle-level staff. No where to go once you're in, except out. - It is said a great leader leads by example.The CEO took a sabbatical in the middle of a major restructure to write a book. Following his lead, many employees are taking a break from MSH, too. Only I don' think they are coming back...

Advice to Management

Start valuing people, and not just by saying "oh, yes, we value you." Actions speak louder than words. And right now, your actions - mass lay-offs, poor communication around organizational change, low pay for experienced and educated employees - say that you value yourselves more than you value those who work for MSH, or more than you value MSH itself. Yes, it's a tough market. Yes, you need to be competitive in order to secure funding. I get it. But reputations matter, too, and if you keep going this direction you're going to end up without employees and without funding. Be innovative, smart, and respectful. Don't forget where you came from. Go to the people - in this case, your employees - and work with them, not against them.

Gave me PTSD

Pros

Nice office building. There's really nothing else

Cons

1) If you're young and female they will walk all over you. The women are especially nasty. 2) Very racist. They silence ideas from high-up women of color and push them out 3) Worst hierarchy than government jobs and self imposes bureaucracy just to make some people feel important while belittling junior staff 4) Some of the most small-minded managers you will ever meet. Their main objective is to feel like they own you and to keep you from growing 5) Management is resistant to change and feels so threatened to innovation 6) I need therapy after working here. The pay is so little and they make up for it with abuse. 7) I'd rather be unemployed and homeless than go through this experience again. Don't do this to yourself even if you've newly graduated and are desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because there's no salvaging this.

RSS Feed </> Embed