Management Sciences for Health

Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick

Jonathan Quick

Great place to work, ability to make impact, and contributions valued.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe mission is great and a lot of smart, committed people are dedicated to the core principle of the organization. A good place to make meaningful impact in global health. Lots of opportunities for career growth and advancement. Supportive, team oriented work environment.

ConsI've been here a little less than a year and it takes a while to learn the various systems and processes.

Great experience, great organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMSH is a worldwide NGO in the health sector with a long xperience of reinforcing health systems.
    The HQ team is nice, talented, and eager to support country teams.
     This organization offers a good salary and great benefices.

ConsSometimes, conflicting demands from supervisors.

A great place to start a career in international public health or international development.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe engaging nature of the work, opportunities for international travel, and interesting colleagues make working here worthwhile.

ConsSalaries are on the low for recent graduates without experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inspiring work, challenging environment.

Program Officer (Current Employee)

ProsVery compelling work done by incredibly talented people. Amazing opportunities to grow. learn, and travel if you land in the right place.

ConsSeems to be a lack of career direction and movement, unless you really work for it. However, there are concerted efforts to change this.

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsMSH is great if you start off with a bachelors degree and want some experience in international development / project support.

ConsThey began hiring people with masters degrees to do the very basic admin tasks.

A fun group of people working to save lives

Finance/Operations Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat benefits, opportunities to travel, employee-centric, opportunities to directly contribute to the projects and interact with international colleagues

ConsSome of the upper management are very academic and a little stuffy, working for USAID requires dealing with a lot of red tape and formalities, need to change course at the drop of a hat to respond to USAID requests, finance & operations staff are not seen as equal team members and have little opportunity to make valuable contributions or travel.

Opportunity to make a difference in global health challenges

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsPotential to reach many vulnerable people who need access to quality and affordable healthcare in developing countries, affecting change on a massive scale, leeway to be innovative and carve out a niche for your work, organization is constantly seeking to grow and to be the best version of itself

ConsInexperienced managers, lack of mentors to facilitate professional development, little to no established professional development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on the value for money that younger staff bring to the organization. There are many multi-talented junior analysts that are motivated and committed to advancing the MSH cause and work, who are being overlooked for opportunities.

Very pleasant work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDiverse, interesting people to work with
    Many travel opportunities
    Great health, benefits, and lots of vacation time

ConsBig company means sometimes change or improvement is slow
    Not many training opportunities but they are working to improve that

Have been able to adopt to a work place environment and develop my career to the next level

M&E Intern (Current Employee) Kampala (Uganda)

ProsBeing a health related institution, really doing a great job of improving the health of the rest of the population

ConsHave not met any so far

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work done, continue with the spirit

The work is intense but knowing that I am making an impact makes it worthwhile.

ProsMSH is truly diverse! It is stimulating to work on an everyday basis with the brightest and most educated professionals from different cultures across the globe. Our employees are the "boots on the ground" in the developing world to improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable. MSH has undergone a complete restructuring and has vastly improved its corporate management structure to create more centralized management services, such as HR and Contracts, the results of which have created stronger and better-managed corporate services.

ConsTop leadership is not attuned to communicating on a regular, systematic and written basis about all the good changes going on. The quarterly video-conferenced staff meetings are amazing because they involve all global offices but those meetings should not be the only mechanism for strategically communicating with staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is lots of good change and improvements being made. Communicate about them! Determine what changes need to be made in the top leadership composition and make those changes happen!

Worked for Management Sciences for Health? Contribute to the Community!