Management Sciences for Health Reviews

56 reviews filtered by
2.7
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Supportive, team oriented work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Good work/life balance and teleworking is possible (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• no room for professional development (even senior staff jump ship after a brief stay) and most manager's have no sense of time management (in 4 reviews)

Terrible place to wprk

Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so interesting people and interesting work
    Plenty of opportunities to travel
    Worthwhile mission

Cons

Staff come from diverse cultural backgrounds - so plenty of opportunities for discrimination and nepotism
    Frequent travel is exhausting and poorly compensated
    Worthwhile mission in principle - but has strayed a long way from it
    Standard of work is surprisingly low
    Senior management team is extraordinarily poor - no leadership, just posturing, no communication, only noise

Stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor that say the place is wonderful - noone believes them. Instead fix the problems. Can't you see the ship is sinking around you?

Never again!

Current Employee - Mid Level
    Current Employee - Mid Level

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are some good people here. Some of my coworkers are awesome. None of the good people are managers, and none of them work in HR. And much of the work is valuable, actually doing some good in the world.

Cons

Many of my friends tried to talk me out of joining MSH, but I knew what was best. I thought I did. That's why I say never again I will not take advice. I've pretty much wasted two years of my life. If only I knew what I'd gotten into. Management can't manage. Those who've been here longest just protect their patch. So-called matrix management is a joke, as noone knows who their reporting to or who reports to them. We all have different managers giving us different tasks. Some of the hirees should have been interns instead of active staff.

The icing on the cake is HR. A bunch of overpaid nobodies. Somehow they seem to run the outfit! Managers run scared of them. HR people never go outside of their office. They don't know how the company runs or why. Their just clerks doing what clerks do.

I'm looking, and my buddies in MSH are looking. I think it's on the way out.

Never again!

Hire some proper managers who can communicate, and don't need phoney 'sabbaticals' to goof off.

Needs leadership and direction

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing field staff
    Solid staff in pharma unit
    Some new hires have been good

Cons

Hired 2 VPs for development jobs who didn't meet the minimum job qualifications
    Most of the Global Technical Leads need to leave because they are not up on what's happening in their field
    Too many junior staff flying to developing countries as experts when they don't have the skills, it's insulting to the field

Stop overpaying for minimum output, you are losing the good people
    If a hire doesn't work, just let it go
    Stop undermining one another
    Hold senior staff accountable for their work output

Sadly a sinking ship

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission, benefits are decent and the in-country field staff are great

Cons

Where do I begin. CEO: very out of touch with the real issues at MSH, going on a (paid) sabbatical during the current worst time of the organization's state and we haven't won any real large projects, preaches the mission and vision of MSH when he doesn't adhere to them himself, his approach and work-style of commands is top-down, his EA of 10 years suddenly left or was she pushed out because she knew too much either way doesn't look good for him. He's now supposedly writing a book during his sabbatical yet it's for MSH? Hmmmm. COO: seems to be trying yet it's evident that he's not supposed by the CEO as one person can't simply be handling all the mega issues, with him if he like you're golden if not you're blackballed, he's impossible to even get a meeting because his EA is unapproachable and has an attitude, Leadership Team: dysfunctional, beat to their own drum and they seem to really not like each other, there's leaks of confidential information. CFO: seems OK but she plays favorites her unit is very under staffed and they only hire temps. Communications between supervisors, directors, senior leaders to their direct reports are poor in general, I've witnessed over and over again humiliation yet people are afraid to approach HR in fear of the consequences. I'll admit, so am I.

Unless there's a real movement to really to change the organization for the better, it will only continue to sink. I highly suggest turning to the working staff in the field that are doing all the real work and trying to make impact on health, they should be tapped into more for leadership and resources not the highly-paid non-performers at the HQ. The founders of MSH, (if they don't already know) would be devastated if they all knew.

TOXIC TOXIC TOXIC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Great benefits, good people, good mission

Cons

CEO and COO don't appear to intuned with each other. COO seems more genuine than CEO. Leadership Team that are NOT leaders.

Awful. Do not even consider working here.

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

4 weeks of vacation, generally better work life balance than the for-profit world (although this varies based on function), younger staff are nice and approachable.

Cons

Leadership is ineffective and nonexistent. They've been trying to find a new VP of business development for months and nobody seems to want the job, which is no wonder considering the poor quality of proposals lately and the declining reputation of MSH. The CEO and COO are totally ineffective. They both seem clueless and don't seem to understand their jobs. Also, the CEO recently announced that he's taking a 5 month "sabbatical" away from the company. Excuse me? Sabbatical? You mean paid vacation? The fact that a CEO needs a "sabbatical" should cause one to question whether or not he should be the CEO.

Internally, this place is a mess. There are quite a lot of very senior, highly paid people who don't do very much but are kept around because they're friendly with someone important. At the same time, opportunities for junior staff are very limited, and staff are not encouraged to advance themselves. People often get trapped here, railroaded into a specific function. The organization is not structured efficiently, and although there have been steps taken to fix this, it is still a major problem and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

There is very little direction, and it is very apparent that the senior leadership have no idea what they're doing. They have failed to run a viable business, and have turned a once-thriving and vibrant culture into a workplace with low morale and poor performance.

My supervisor does not communicate well with me and my colleagues, which creates an unnecessarily difficult and stressful work environment. I feel very isolated, and have no expectation that anyone would support me if I had an issue. My supervisor is not an advocate for me - this is a theme in keeping with the pervasive trend at MSH.

If you aren't able to nurture a positive culture while leading with clear direction and purpose, step aside and let someone else try. Personally, I think you are all in way over your head, but unfortunately the board is too removed from the company to understand this.

There are some good building blocks here if senior management was able to take advantage of them. There are plenty of people who want to make this place better, and have good ideas on how to do that, but they are never heard from.

The most toxic environment I've seen in my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Interesting, challenging work
    - Truly global - people in the field and those who cycle through headquarters
    - Good work goes on "in the field"

Cons

In my career, I have not encountered a nastier, more miserable group of people. Founded with a noble mission, they have strayed far from their roots. Headquarters-led efforts to drive increased performance, compete in a competitive world, and build efficient systems and processes have largely been failures, and in the process they have lost their humanity.
    - Political, nasty, backstabbing work culture
    - Headquarters ivory tower, isolated and insensitive to good work that goes on in the field
    - Availability expected during evenings, weekends, vacations
    - Individual rewards based on favoritism rather than performance
    - Lack of career advancement opportunities for middle-level or senior-level professionals
    - Weak, competitive, and unaligned senior team
    - They have burned out and pushed out many high-quality professionals. However, everyone I know is happier after they've left.

Change only comes from the top - the very top. Nothing will change until the CEO or COO goes.

chief representative

Current Employee - Chief Representative in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Chief Representative in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Pros

I like the issues that we work. It is very challenging and have a great network

Cons

the challenge comes from management team.. Technically I do not have a big challenge but it can be updated through increasing capacity building

great burden and responsibility should be followed with great appreciation and adequate salary.

Management is AWOL

Pros

Interesting work; opportunities for telecommuting - some of the time

Cons

For an organisation that promotes the so-called 'tao of leadership' this one doesn't have any. Senior management is completely AWOL. High ups from head office in Boston rarely darken the doors of the Arlington office and if they do they never leave their offices. The CEO has just announced a new policy of sabbaticals for the 'senior leadership team' and his way of leading is to be the first to take four months off - at a really critical time for the organisation's future - which doesn't say much for the judgement of either him or the board. Morale is appalling; HR is inept and obstructionist (and behaves like a core function instead of a support dept); the quality of the product is declining. Sad to see what was once a good organisation reduced to such a state by the ineptitude of an ego-driven management team who really have no idea of what goes on in the trenches.

Find a CEO with vision and commitment, and the wherewithal to really lead. Get poor performers out of senior positions and put in people who can get the job done. Stop treating the staff as if they are stupid and cant see beyond the ends of their noses. The organisation could be terrific, but at this rate is going to go out backwards .

A great public health organization... in its own mind.

Pros

Good vacation time (if you can take it) and good 401K contributions.

Cons

The name, "Management Sciences..." is a joke. Management is clueless - many don't know how to manage staff or are put in charge of departments they know nothing about and yet feel entitled to dismiss input from staff with proven experience. Leadership knows (has stated!) certain departments and staff are mistreated and clearly doesn't care as nothing is done. Rewards mediocrity, penalizes hard workers that try to make a difference. Long-term "technical staff" are frequently unprofessional at best, rude and abuse at worst (yelling, harrassing, slamming doors) - both to new and/or younger colleagues as well as external stakeholders. High turnover as a result, including those leaving for lower salaries just to get away. Organizational ego is incredible. A lot of thinking that external criticism is flawed rather than assessing and revising strategies to improve performance. As a result, donors have closed several projects early or shifted the funding from MSH to another organization, yet MSH maintains its "we're the best, there's nothing wrong with us" mentality.

Let go of the ego. Start treating staff fairly and thinking about the future, instead of favoring "old friends" and clinging to the past.

Management Sciences for Health Photos