Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Reset
2.9
Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Pros
  • Fun and relaxing work environment (in 4 reviews)

• Some people are dedicated to the mission (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality (in 3 reviews)

• Little money for trainings and professional development (in 4 reviews)

The name couldn't be more ironic...

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A worthwhile mission and some good people. not much else

Cons

Not much science, but plenty of micromanagement
    Zero leadership. Absolutely disgraceful senior 'management' team, and those that report to them are no better.

Advice to Management

Review after review is consistent. You hubris is destroying this organisation. If this were a public company the shareholders would have sacked the board long ago. You have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of the organisation, so step in and sack the management team while there's still a company in existence.

Micromanagement to the bone

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Can't think of anything. Layoffs have begun and each week there are at least a couple of people who jump this sinking ship or get canned, but the bad leaders remain. I've never worked somewhere that tells me exactly how to word basic emails, where everyone belittles you if you're entry-level, and where SPOs are just looking to through you under the bus

Cons

-Operations, Contracts, and Finance have no accountability. If you are project staff you will en up doing their work for them. They get sent to trips in the field but never do a good job training field staff, and hardly show up to meetings at home office. Best of all, they won't even tell you they're not coming. Most of the time they "work from home" and don't respond
    -Some of the most intense personalities I've ever worked for. The people fall into 2 categories: abrasive bully or indirect/passive aggressive.
    -HR creates extra levels into between positions so that each promotion is only a couple of grand increase, and you must wait a full year to move to the next level. We have people with Masters and 7 years of experience who are getting paid 42k.
    -It's public knowledge that we've lost all major rebids because our technical strategy is weak yet no one is firing the VP of Supply Chain or the Technical Advisors. They keep recycling the same idea and feel threatened when someone proposes something new.

Advice to Management

You're not getting rid of the right people. The CEO, COO, VPs of Finance, VP of HR, VP of operations/contracts, a few portfolio directors, and most of the Technical Advisors need to get fired.

Sad face...

Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits -- the health plan is great. Good location. Some good people (less and less each day unfortunately).

Cons

I hate to just repeat what others are saying, but these reviews are on target. MSH has a good 'heart' - they want to help people. But unfortunately the folks at the top can't figure out how to make it work. Seriously, board members: The company has outgrown the current senior team. It happens - don't feel sad, just move on. Most of the people that have been here for 15+ years (not all, but many) are still operating like its 1995 as far as science and management expectations.

Advice to Management

First of all, show your face. Talking with us, not down to us. My advice to the board is: clean house - don't just drop bodies to save money. I don't know a single good person here who isn't looking for another opportunity, and the current spate of changes will just result in a brain-drain... this isn't what you're trying to achieve.

The reviews get worse but the ratings get better - why is that Glassdoor? Is MSH paying you to keep the ratings up?

Current Employee - Principal Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

Some god people and a worthwhile mission - but little else

Cons

Hopeless lack of leadership. Immeasurable incompetence. The board are as clearly as hopeless as the C-Suite otherwise they'd have fired them by now.

Advice to Management

Unless you pack your bags and go now the organization will cease to exist within 2 years

A great organization gone to the dogs

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Employees in the field are generally committed, talented, hard-working. When they have the supports they need, they do exceptional public health work for some of the world's most disadvantaged people. Some excellent US-based or staff have started at entry-level positions and been given great professional opportunities

Cons

The atmosphere in the home office in Massachusetts is poisonous. The leaders use language that's meant to be inspirational but that staff recognize as meaningless and cynical. What was once an exciting, stimulating, challenging home for top-flight public health professionals has become tense, internally competitive, fearfull atmosphere. Excellent people have been let go for not toeing the line or for costing too much (though many excessively high-priced people remain). All of this is largely due to the two leaders, their unfortunate choices for the top management team, and the stifling of dissenting voices.

Advice to Management

I can't think of what would help except to find a new CEO and COO. Hardly likely.

Not such a great NGO

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

The mission of the organization.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking. There is no integrity.

Advice to Management

Learn to make business decisions - not emotional ones

Some great people, but hopeless leadership

Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

Pros

Some really nice, smart people very committed to health systems strengthening. Multicultural environment. Lots of traveling, if you like it

Cons

Some really arrogant and not very competent people. Too much traveling, if you don;t like it or want a life. Main problem is the incomprehensible lack of leadership. An invisible CEO and an incompetent senior 'leadership' team. Company has a major conference about the company's flagship program,dozens of staff travel for 30-40 hours to US to attend, but the CEO (who is on the program to give an opening address) can't even be bothered to show up (taking a vacation before his 6 month 'sabbatical') and the COO 'doesn't have time' between meetings to even make a 5 minute appearance by video-conference. Shows you how much they value the work of their employees

Advice to Management

Can the board please step up and fire these people? What is it going to take to make you realise how bad things really are?

9. Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, supporting a really worth-while cause. Allowed me to feel good about my work while maintaining my ideal work/life balance.

Cons

I was not looking for a career, just a job during a transitional time in my life; I therefore didn't push to ensure my tasks remained fully engaging, or try to advance my career. Someone with more ambition would likely have had a different experience.

A Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Finance/Accounting in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing office in Medford. Some great co-workers that make every day fun and worthwhile. Challenging work.

Cons

Where to begin? I wish I could say that management was "clueless", as others have suggested, but unfortunately I believe they are quite aware, but actually indifferent, to the day to day challenges faced by employees on the front lines. You are valued for how well you manage UP the chain of command. What your direct reports think or feel about you does not impact your success. In fact it seems the unhappier a group, the more promotions the supervisor/manager gets. Which says something about what MSH values. The CFO is distant and has absolutely no rapport with the little people who work for her. Resources are stretched thin, both lack of sufficient competent staff and process and computer systems that aren't up to the task. Performance expectations are laughably unrealistic and leave employees drained and demoralized. Some of the field staff are paid exorbitant salaries and benefits while indirect employees are not compensated fairly. I could go on and on, but there are only so many allotted characters, so I'll stop here.

Advice to Management

Why bother with advice to management. They ARE the problem.

Leadership needs to be removed before it is too late

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits for US staff, can be a good work environment depending on your specific team/project.

Cons

I have never witnessed such unprofessional behavior in my entire career. The level of disrespect from senior staff to junior staff, between field staff and hq, and the lack of accountability in this organization is truly stunning. The leadership team is in denial of the finances of the company and completely aloof to the plight of the staff who have to do the work. The technical quality and skills of the company are stuck in the 90s and nothing innovative technically has come out of this company in a long time. Most of the country reps are not suitable for the job but no one wants to remove them. Some of the recent senior hires particularly in global partnerships make no sense and will probably destroy whatever reputation we have left.

Advice to Management

How have you let this company get to this point? Since you have not made the hard choices, usaid will make them for you and you will lose most of your projects. I am outraged as a U.S. Taxpayer at the waste of funds in this organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed