Management Sciences for Health

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

Management Sciences for Health President Jonathan Quick
Jonathan Quick

Opportunity to make a difference in global health challenges

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential to reach many vulnerable people who need access to quality and affordable healthcare in developing countries, affecting change on a massive scale, leeway to be innovative and carve out a niche for your work, organization is constantly seeking to grow and to be the best version of itself

Cons

Inexperienced managers, lack of mentors to facilitate professional development, little to no established professional development opportunities

Start focusing on the value for money that younger staff bring to the organization. There are many multi-talented junior analysts that are motivated and committed to advancing the MSH cause and work, who are being overlooked for opportunities.

Great intentions, unclear direction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with extremely gifted individuals and there are few restrictions on the things departmentally I get to learn. That's about it.

Cons

Limited growth, overambitious leadership team that ignores the urgency of compliance, looks to phase out "cumbersome" processes, while trying to enforce abstract ideals. Little room for growth and advancement. Too great a focus on technical experts, ignoring the core groups such as Accounting and Finance.

Please note that your core staff, such as Accounting, Contracts, Procurement and Benefits *need* to be reinforced. Consider creating a compliance and training department instead of abstract goals such as becoming a "learning organization." Fix the wheel before driving. Please stop coupling an inordinate number of initiatives atop already overwhelming daily responsibilities. Understand all sides, and that the organization could run much more smoothly if we grounded ourselves instead of trying to be overly abstract. EG. PPRD: useless to a person whose base work culture does not permit "outstanding" action. Stop discussing accountability when we have no "ownership" of any piece of our processes. Reward all equally. Consider returning to Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement. Avoid discussing the topic of religion at work. Start enforcing workplace equality---those at the top should respect those at the bottom. Try and understand a process before attempting to fix it.

Very pleasant work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse, interesting people to work with
    Many travel opportunities
    Great health, benefits, and lots of vacation time

Cons

Big company means sometimes change or improvement is slow
    Not many training opportunities but they are working to improve that

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mid-level and junior staff not given a chance to do technical work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

MSH's DC office is in a good location, ability to work with field staff has been a good experience, I've learned a lot from senior staff (but haven't been allowed to practice it).

Cons

Many of the administrative/program coordinator level staff wind up leaving after 1 year since there is no movement up unless you have a masters, ditto for Progam Officers/Associates. Often much of the "technical" work is only done by the older staff who have been at MSH for 10-15 years. There isn't a desire across the centers/projects to train junior staff, and this causes many of us to want to leave.

Management Sciences for Health---Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Excellent benefits!
    This is a good place for people who want to get hands on experience in the international public health field.

Cons

If you are not part of a clique you will have a hard time advancing your career or getting the respect you deserve. In theory the organization promotes collaboration within the organization, but unfortunately it rarely translates into reality. Employees rarely display humility, i.e. an eagerness to try something new and embrace ideas no matter the source.

You need to embrace change and advance people no matter their clique status within the company. Diversity, Diversity, Diversity --- needs to be a priority for the board of directors, management team and upper management. An ethnically diverse environment in the rank and file only is not an ethnically diverse organization.

Good people and interesting work but OMG...

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really smart people in this company and they do really interesting, worthwhile work - which is very attractive - but

Cons

The HR dept is without doubt one of the most incompetent, obstructionist, and inefficient I have ever encountered. Some of the policies and procedures are just ridiculous. I just don't understand how an organisation as large and significant can expect function with an HR department like this one

Clear out the HR department and seriously review your HR policies and practices - they are a joke. Salaries are competitive either.

Good experience once out of college

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Very interesting International project experience. Great work environment. People there are very friendly.

Cons

Technical work limited to senior technical staff. Limited growth opportunities.

O

Programme Associate-kenya

Former Employee - Program Associate  in  Nairobi (Kenya)
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Nairobi (Kenya)

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay and benefits and generally good terms of employment.

Cons

terrible work environment, extremely bad

stop tribalism

Work life balance

Current Employee - Central Project Manager  in  Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
    Current Employee - Central Project Manager in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)

Pros

Good worklife balance. Better pay compared to other NGOs

Cons

Little career advancement opportunities. Few personal development and trainigs

Need to consider employees development seriously

Have been able to adopt to a work place environment and develop my career to the next level

Current Employee - M&E Intern  in  Kampala (Uganda)
    Current Employee - M&E Intern in Kampala (Uganda)

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Being a health related institution, really doing a great job of improving the health of the rest of the population

Cons

Have not met any so far

Great work done, continue with the spirit

Worked for Management Sciences for Health? Contribute to the Community!