Management & Training Corporation

Management & Training Corporation Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

R. Scott Marquardt

Educational and Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI only worked here for about 7 weeks while doing Work Base with Job Corps, but I really enjoyed my time here. The environment is friendly and open, and the work is straight-forward. The work that they do to coordinate and run select Job Corps and detention facilities truly helps people to be more productive and meaningful members of society.

ConsThe only con that I had while working with MTC was the attention put into March Madness. I personally am not a fan of sports, and so it was annoying and a slightly frustrating how much effort and time they put into the March Madness basketball craze. If you're into sports though, then I'm sure you would really enjoy the enthusiasm, excitement, and camaraderie (and, of course, competition) that comes with March Madness.

my experience with MTC was one of the best so far.

Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) Drums, PA

Prosthe best thing was working with the employers.

Consthe most challenge was getting use to moving in a fast paced speed, that kept you on your feet for long period of hours.

Advice to Senior Managementmy advice would be never stop improving.

MTC Makes dreams come true.

Residential Living Manager (Former Employee) Clearfield, UT

ProsThe only reason a person should be working at Clearfield Job Corps is because they want to help youths change their lives. The Residential Living department is under Teamsters Locale 222 so the union assist the advisors in any misconduct from the company. Time off policies, and pay are good. The insurance is high but compariable to private companies. There is room for personal growth. MTC has some of the highest values in the industry.

ConsTo bad those values are left to the Directors of the center. For years we had great Directors who knew MTC's vision and knew Dr. Bob and what he expected. Now we have directors who are inexperienced, self-centered, and driven by numbers. They allow the students to drink alcohol, have sex, do drugs and sell drugs on center. They are allowed to go out into the community and cause mayhem. Students come to Job Corps to go to school but the present directors let them miss 100's of class hours. The students know they are running the center. If the students disagree with a staff they go to the directors, who will tell the staff to give in to the student. Because we need the numbers. If you don't agree with the directors they get rid of you. By any means. There is no real leadership right now and the staff are scared to really voice their opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis was a company of values. Now the company is driven by the number of students it keeps for 90+ days. Staff from the corporate office should make a surprise visit and talk to the staff in residential. Don't let the managers pick the staff you pick them. Let them know they will not be fired for telling the truth about what's going on. This is not Dr. Bob's program. This is not Clearfield Job Corps. Bring back the old values and get rid of staff that are only there for a pay-check. And those who recieve a pay check and don't come to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MTC is a graet organization to work for.

Deputy Center Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe organization really values their employees and is commited to customer service

ConsEmployment is increasingly unsatable due to shrinking government contracts.

Its been quite an adventure

Corrections Officer (Current Employee) Henderson, TX

ProsAn Opportunity to protect the community from society's rejects and get them ready for re entry into the world. We work an every other weekend off schedule

ConsLong Hours, a ton of paperwork for each area, Always have to watch everything you say & do.

Advice to Senior ManagementCertain departments need raises. Officers work the hours scheduled and some arent able to make sure their families are taken care of.

I enjoy going to work

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsUpper management cares about employee development. I enjoy working with and getting to know co-workers. At the end of the day, the company is trying to improve lives, hard to argue with that.

ConsI wish we could hire more people, but no one wants to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Awesome people, laid back!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waimänalo, HI

ProsEasy work, good benefits, laid back environment

ConsNot enough challenge, can get boring, management can seem very old school at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within and take care of problems at the center level before they blow up.

I am now "institutionalized".

ProsThe opportunity to reduce recidivism, with some offenders, is priceless.

ConsThere is no upper management support unless you are their friend. Unfounded rumors and hearsay are considered "truth". Employees that have a good work ethic are constantly criticized and become paranoid of losing their jobs while non-productive staff are given no repercussions. Being a "team player" is frowned upon. Extremely disorganized. Hostile work environment. The offenders are not the problem, the incompetent staff is.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak with an employee personally concerning a situation. Do not assume everything that is heard is true. Communicate with all staff. Take lower-level staff's ideas into consideration. Be thankful for the hard-working employees and reprimand the others.

Great Supervisors, Horrible Company Policies and Culture

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsI had a great supervisor and her supervisor was also great. We had a strong team. I enjoyed the nature of the work and felt like it made a difference in people's lives.

ConsThis company is hypocritical and simply unprofessional. It's a churn factory. As soon as the great supervisors I had left their positions, I saw how much they had been shielding us from internal politics. I worked there for two years. After I quit, the entire 14 person team I started with also quit. They really aren't keeping up with the modern economy. I used to believe in their programs, but I currently feel they are doing participants a disservice because they refuse to innovate or maintain quality staff by showing recognition or offering decent salaries. Working for my old supervisor made the job enjoyable, two years later, I had had no advancement opportunities or raises and MTC's reputation is in the drain. I can see it was a horrible career move. I would advise young people starting a career to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Value your workforce.

Pretty laid back and easy work most of the time, since these are people who are coming out of the system or DWI's.

Correction Officer (Current Employee) Henderson, TX

ProsThey are mostly non-violent offenders with a short period to spend there. Most of them have some kind of medical problem but some have mental problems also. Most employees are young women so you get the picture. It is only as hard as you make, especially if you go in treating them like trash. Lots of over time if you want it.

ConsThey changed the time days off making it hard to spend time with your family. It use to be 3 on - 3 off 12 hour shifts. There are only yearly raises which isn't much. And no matter what job you get you start at $10. Unless, you move up in rank and from what I hear thats not much and rarely any over time there. Good place to get your foot in the door!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the schedule back the way it was, as far as the days we take off. Keep the split sides though (East and West, etc.)!

Worked for Management & Training Corporation? Contribute to the Community!