Management & Training Corporation

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.3

R. Scott Marquardt

This was a great place to work with a strong supportive staff

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Marana, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Marana, AZ

I worked at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

excellent benefits, life and health insurance benefits and a good work life balance. They were very willing to work with me in my work hours. It was a private prison and I did enjoy working with the inmates

Cons

Not many cons really. I suppose the only real con is there were not formal break to take lunches so it was catch as catch can. We were not allowed to take lunch in our office.

I believe the management did the best they could with what they had, especially with the cut in spending and changes starting to occur

Nightmare! Keep looking.

I have been working at Management & Training Corporation full-time

Pros

You can sometimes make a difference in someone's life.

Cons

Management is incompetent. There is no strategic planning and everything runs on a whim. The corporation treats employees very badly and apparently has no conscience about this. People are always looking to get out. Pay is horrible. Everything is driven by toxic politics. The corporation appears to know nothing about education. Teachers are not supported. The culture is punishment and consequences rather than acknowledgment and appreciation. You can't plan anything because you never know what you are going to find from day to day, or who still works there when you come in on Monday. Rules change arbitrarily, nothing is clearly communicated, and morale is miserable because everything is about what is wrong. Depressing, unrewarding, unprofessional work environment.

Educational and Positive

I worked at Management & Training Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I only worked here for about 7 weeks while doing Work Base with Job Corps, but I really enjoyed my time here. The environment is friendly and open, and the work is straight-forward. The work that they do to coordinate and run select Job Corps and detention facilities truly helps people to be more productive and meaningful members of society.

Cons

The only con that I had while working with MTC was the attention put into March Madness. I personally am not a fan of sports, and so it was annoying and a slightly frustrating how much effort and time they put into the March Madness basketball craze. If you're into sports though, then I'm sure you would really enjoy the enthusiasm, excitement, and camaraderie (and, of course, competition) that comes with March Madness.

my experience with MTC was one of the best so far.

Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Drums, PA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Helper in Drums, PA

I have been working at Management & Training Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the best thing was working with the employers.

Cons

the most challenge was getting use to moving in a fast paced speed, that kept you on your feet for long period of hours.

my advice would be never stop improving.

MTC Makes dreams come true.

Former Employee - Residential Living Manager in Clearfield, UT
    Former Employee - Residential Living Manager in Clearfield, UT

I worked at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only reason a person should be working at Clearfield Job Corps is because they want to help youths change their lives. The Residential Living department is under Teamsters Locale 222 so the union assist the advisors in any misconduct from the company. Time off policies, and pay are good. The insurance is high but compariable to private companies. There is room for personal growth. MTC has some of the highest values in the industry.

Cons

To bad those values are left to the Directors of the center. For years we had great Directors who knew MTC's vision and knew Dr. Bob and what he expected. Now we have directors who are inexperienced, self-centered, and driven by numbers. They allow the students to drink alcohol, have sex, do drugs and sell drugs on center. They are allowed to go out into the community and cause mayhem. Students come to Job Corps to go to school but the present directors let them miss 100's of class hours. The students know they are running the center. If the students disagree with a staff they go to the directors, who will tell the staff to give in to the student. Because we need the numbers. If you don't agree with the directors they get rid of you. By any means. There is no real leadership right now and the staff are scared to really voice their opinion.

This was a company of values. Now the company is driven by the number of students it keeps for 90+ days. Staff from the corporate office should make a surprise visit and talk to the staff in residential. Don't let the managers pick the staff you pick them. Let them know they will not be fired for telling the truth about what's going on. This is not Dr. Bob's program. This is not Clearfield Job Corps. Bring back the old values and get rid of staff that are only there for a pay-check. And those who recieve a pay check and don't come to work.

MTC is a graet organization to work for.

Current Employee - Deputy Center Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Deputy Center Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The organization really values their employees and is commited to customer service

Cons

Employment is increasingly unsatable due to shrinking government contracts.

Its been quite an adventure

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Henderson, TX
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Henderson, TX

I have been working at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An Opportunity to protect the community from society's rejects and get them ready for re entry into the world. We work an every other weekend off schedule

Cons

Long Hours, a ton of paperwork for each area, Always have to watch everything you say & do.

Certain departments need raises. Officers work the hours scheduled and some arent able to make sure their families are taken care of.

I enjoy going to work

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Upper management cares about employee development. I enjoy working with and getting to know co-workers. At the end of the day, the company is trying to improve lives, hard to argue with that.

Cons

I wish we could hire more people, but no one wants to leave.

Keep up the good work.

Awesome people, laid back!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waimänalo, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waimänalo, HI

I worked at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work, good benefits, laid back environment

Cons

Not enough challenge, can get boring, management can seem very old school at times.

Promote from within and take care of problems at the center level before they blow up.

I am now "institutionalized".

I have been working at Management & Training Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to reduce recidivism, with some offenders, is priceless.

Cons

There is no upper management support unless you are their friend. Unfounded rumors and hearsay are considered "truth". Employees that have a good work ethic are constantly criticized and become paranoid of losing their jobs while non-productive staff are given no repercussions. Being a "team player" is frowned upon. Extremely disorganized. Hostile work environment. The offenders are not the problem, the incompetent staff is.

Speak with an employee personally concerning a situation. Do not assume everything that is heard is true. Communicate with all staff. Take lower-level staff's ideas into consideration. Be thankful for the hard-working employees and reprimand the others.

Management & Training Corporation Photos