Managing Editor Reviews

2.8
Dennis McGuire

1. A place where you can make a difference

I have been working at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

A small company that doesn't get burdened with layers of management like you find in big companies. This makes it easier for things to get done, and also provides a great environment for those who take action and engage with management instead of sitting by the sidelines. Small companies like this one reward take-charge kind of people.

Cons

Not the right place for those who feel they are victims or who complain about issues rather than actively engaging with others.

2. A great place to work on cutting edge technology in the publishing industry.

Former Employee - Director in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A small company with an excellent list of customers comprised the most recognizable brands in publishing. MEI has been in business for over 20 years with the same leadership team in place and has been at the forefront of publishing technology since its inception. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there as an employee. It was characterized by working with highly motivated, capable peers in a flat hierarchy with the ability to contribute directly to the success of the company. I loved being focused less on meetings and more on doing.

Cons

MEI is a small company that runs lean so there isn't any place to for unproductive people. As with most small companies, employees have to be comfortable wearing many hats. People who arrived expecting the same structure they had at their 'big company' job usually didn't enjoy themselves unless they could flex to the entrepreneurial culture at MEI.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I hope you continue to be nimble and innovate so you continue to lead your space for another 20 years!

3. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people. I made many friends while employed there.

Cons

Most of the criticism I've read on here are merely training issues.

Advice to Management

Create an integrated training program with employee engagement and personal growth at its core.

5. Great people, great industry experience

Pros

MEI hires extremely skilled, hard-working people in all of its various departments -- engineering, support, business development, etc. The company's marketing/communications team consists of especially talented, creative and dedicated individuals. I was very proud of the work we did while I was at MEI; it was rewarding to speak with customers who had positive experiences and hear about their unique stories. And I can recall several instances of my work being recognized by management in a positive way. Also, I feel like one of the most valuable things about working for MEI was that the job helped me learn a lot about the publishing industry. As a vendor serving publishers from the outside, I got an interesting bird's-eye view of how companies were handling the various new challenges and technological changes -- shift from print to digital workflows, the impact of iPads and other tablets on print publications, etc. -- that occurred in the industry during my time there.

Cons

Some of the managers were sometimes difficult to get ahold of for information, approval, etc. There were a few instances where I can remember feeling like my projects just weren't being regarded as "as important" as other things going on. But that has to be understandable to a certain degree -- people are busy, schedules are hectic, and it's hard to keep everything on the radar.

Advice to Management

As noted above, while busy schedules are understandable, I do think some managers could try harder to make the people working under them feel like their time and hard work is just as valuable and important as everyone else's. But overall, I gained great experience and made many great and valuable friendships during my time at MEI, and truly felt that everyone at the company brought something useful to the table.

6. Great experience to learn and grow

I worked at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

I worked at MEI for 5 years coming right out of college. It was a great place to learn and grow my skills in tech and business. By and large, the people were great and the management was supportive. The office was open and allowed for a collaborative environment. Also, they were great about work life balance - working from home, part time roles, etc. Even in the midst of the recession, there were happy hours, Christmas parties, and events to keep the company close.

Cons

As with all smaller companies, teams were small. While this made some things challenging, I did learn a lot about how to get things done in this environment.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent and making the company feel like a family.

TOXIC!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire really exceptional and talented people -- the staff is the only positive thing about the company. The management on the other hand...

Cons

MEI is run by arrogant, misogynistic and ethically-challenged leadership (if you can even call them that). These are money grubbing people who don't care at all for their employees and care even less for their customers. Their client list looks impressive, but unless they're roped into an enterprise-level service contract they don't stick around once the price gouging and nickel and diming starts. The 3rd party software that they sell is fine -- and the MEI technical support staff are great. However, MEI-developed software products (in the last decade, at least) are subpar and underdeveloped. Huge bait and switch -- they'll sell bells and whistles and then charge ridiculous chunks of money if you want it to actually work the way they said it would -- they oversell (lie more like it) and under deliver. Client retention is a big issue and when they do stay, it is because of the staff -- not products or management. The shady business practices put customer-facing employees and support staff in really uncomfortable positions, trying to do the right thing with hands tied. Greedy, crooked, cunning, devious, unscrupulous -- just a few terms that come to mind when reflecting on MEI. I honestly don't know how they stay afloat.

Advice to Management

Take some continuous improvement courses on good leadership practices, ethics, values and integrity (you are so slimy it makes me nauseous just thinking about it). Appreciate your staff. You hire exceptionally talented people -- let them do their jobs! Try treating employees like human beings.

Negative work environment

Pros

Some people are great there and actually want to see the company grow, so they are supportive.

Cons

Management has favorites and does a good job of making you feel like a lower level employee.

9. Great Environment if your looking at them from 50000 feet

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA

I have been working at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid tools to sell, so long as they didnt make them.

Cons

Arrogance, Ignorance, Rude, Terrible, Management. Never had I see how a Software Company looks at money over client satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Some of the worst managers I have ever seen

Enjoyed working with customers. Don't care at all for how they "reward" employees.

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA

Pros

They provide a paycheck. Most of the people are pleasant to work with. You'll likely get a chance to work with a wide range of customers.

Cons

They don't appear to appreciate extra effort put forth by their employees. When I accepted the position, I was told I would only be traveling 20% of the time. Instead, I ended up traveling 80% of the time, leaving my wife back home alone for 8 of the 11 months I worked for them. I never once complained to them about all the extra travel as it was going to (and did) bring in around $250,000 for them—an amount which would have paid my salary for the next four years. I even declined the clients' offers to pay to fly me home every single weekend to save them some money. I did what I could to go the extra mile for them and got great feedback from the customers I worked with. I was half expecting a year-end bonus. Instead, after my hiring manager left the company and the new guy decided he didn't want remote workers on his team, they laid me off without warning and without severance on the Monday after Thanksgiving. Proceed with caution and keep your resume updated and your eyes open for better opportunities should you decide to accept a position with them, lest you end up in my shoes — suddenly unemployed less than a month before Christmas, with nothing to show for going the extra mile to put money in their pockets.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of your employees. Every person I've mentioned this odd turn of events to has, without prompting, responded with nearly as much disbelief as I had when hanging up the phone after you called to tell me that my position was being eliminated with no severance after I'd just spent 8 of the past 11 months on site with your customers and brought in $250k for you without complaint, when I was initially told I'd only be traveling 20% of the year (~2 months). And to do so with no warning and so close to Christmas when you stated I had done nothing wrong and that customer feedback had been wonderful is just plain shameful.

RSS Feed </> Embed