Manara Academy

www.manaraacademy.org

Manara Academy Reviews

3.6

Michelle Alkhatib

Workplace that gives you a family feeling.

Current Employee - Teacher in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Irving, TX

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff and school leaders

Cons

New school
    Few resources
    But still a wonderful place to work at

"JOB"

Current Employee - PEIMS Coordinator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - PEIMS Coordinator in Irving, TX

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady job, off weekends, 8-4

Cons

Work some holidays, hard work

So Much Potential But Students and Staff Suffer due to Poor Leadership/Administration

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time

Pros

The freedom to build our own curriculum to teach in a way that is relevant to the children vs. just teaching from a forced curriculum without the ability to adjust to our classroom's needs.
    The intent of good team practices and team building is present (just not delivered upon.)

Cons

The school is run by a 'board' that is out of touch
    Teachers are literally afraid of the school leadership (sometimes job loss is implied as a way to get consensus)
    Teachers are now being 'forced' to visit students homes
    There is no real discipline for unruly children (hitting, vandalism) for fear of losing funding if a child is suspended/expelled.
    80 hour work weeks are expected

LISTEN to your staff and show mutual respect for their feelings and concerns. Support them in how the children should be disciplined and in providing what they need to be successful. There are teachers in our hallways that have purchased 100% of their classroom supplies out of their own pocket, are working +80 hours a week, encountering personal and health challenges because of the strain and feel bullied by you to do even more with even less.
    Forcing us to visit parents homes is not only absurd, it is unrealistic regardless of how you present it. Some teachers are FEARFUL of vising these homes and these concerns fall on deaf ears and because of recent comments by our principal now feel that their job is on the line if they voice an opinion contrary to this edict.

We have some amazing teachers and support people on our staff. Manara could be so much more if the leadership would learn to lead with "carrots" vs. "sticks." Support your teaching and administrative staff to be successful in what will ultimately make the long-term difference (preparing our children to be successful in life) instead of pushing the staff towards whatever half-baked band-aid solution you think will bring in more profit.

Manara Academy Photos