Manatee County School District

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great Place to work if money isn't an object!

Former Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

students, faculty and support system.

Cons

The pay is horrible. For the amount of work and dedication, its a crime!

In general, teachers aren't cared for as they should be. Not an issue of Manatee County but overall Florida issue.

Love the students, too bad they are not the priority anymore. .

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with students (the respectful ones), "family-like" atmosphere at school

Cons

low salary, overwhelming workload, stress, unmotivated and disrespectful students, clueless parents, insufficient training/professional development, poor communication between colleagues, "teaching for the test" mentality, constant student assessment, constantly changing procedures

I know these problems are happening country-wide. America needs to start paying teachers what they deserve or droves of passionate and talented teachers will continue to walk out the door.

teacher

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great changes happening in the district. Lots of district support. Administrators are supportive and behind their teachers. Schedule is great.

Cons

Pay was just increased after years of a salary freeze. Health benefits are pricey for the better plans-only affordable benefits are the HMO plans.

Not bad

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time

Pros

Summers off, a week for Thanksgiving break, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year's, 1 week for Spring Break, great health insurance with BC/BS, music and art in every elementary school (this year); salary is greater than some other FL counties at starting salary of about $37K

Cons

History of poor fiscal management. The published salary ladder system is not accurate. There are teachers who have worked with a Bachelor's degree for more than 10 years and are still only making $1,000 more than a beginning teacher. Sarasota County pays more and is better managed - work there if you can. Teachers get very little money for classroom needs.

The teachers have an incredibly low morale at this time. While I realize you're tired of hearing about it, it's true - and it will only change with effective leadership that we feel we can trust.

I worked for the district for over 14 years in management and what a mess

I worked at Manatee County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time off Christmas, Spring Break and holidays. Vacation time and sick time were nice. Retirement use to be great along with health benefits but now things have changed and they are bad.

Cons

Management is out of control, there is no understanding of financials and people. The environment is very corrupt and stressful to work in. Management does what it wants with no concern from anyone. It is not a team environment and you will be stabbed in the back without knowing which one of your friends or co-workers did it. They have a pension but what a joke when you really look at it. Most people there are just hanging on to retire or they leave with frustration. In my career working with fortune companies before the school district, working here was one of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life. My advice to the general public that pays property taxes to support this school system, you will never know of the corruption occurring and where your money is going, not the right place as they state.

Place people in management positions that have a clue about what they are doing. Listen to the employees they have more knowledge than you do.

Completely disorganized, although a new administration is in charge. Doesn't seem too much better.

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher

I worked at Manatee County School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacations, students are fabulous, parents are supportive

Cons

pay is low
    no strong leaders

Build your organization from the top. This means putting your strongest and smartest at the top to create what others need to utilize. Create an organized curriculum which mimics those found in the top states in the nation (NY, MA, MD etc.) Don't try to be your own hero. It's not working.

Great people to work with on the school level

Former Employee - Teacher in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Principals' willingness to embrace innovation

Cons

Teacher pay could be much better

Make the school board a volunteer position instead of paid, and divert the savings to education

Get off the Titanic before it goes down!

Current Employee - Teacher in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bradenton, FL

Pros

Vacation, students are good, other teachers are great to work with.

Cons

You have no autonomy in your classroom. The district always find new ways to "reinvent the wheel," teachers have zero support and the union is unhelpful. The students are tested excessively, the quarterly benchmark assessment I had to give for my subject area was not testing the standards that were part of the unit-but rather was a reading test. Discipline problems are not handled. Administration downtown insists on "higher text complexity" rather than teaching to the level the students are on. Students are really below grade level, teachers are responsible for RTI instead of holding the students accountable and are passing students that should not pass to save on endless amounts of paper work. Teachers are not treated as professionals, they are not respected, listened to, or felt cared about. You are there to do what the district thinks will work for every student and the pay is dreadful! Anytime something new is introduced by the district (which is way too often) I get 3 different stories of what is wanted of me-1 story for each administrator at my school. Honestly, this school district is like the Titanic and we need to get off the ship because it's going down fast!

Treat your teachers with a little dignity, we did go to college to become professionals. A little bump in salary would go a long way to boost morale-and I'm not talking $1750 (not even the amount the governor paid for). Testing students as often as is done is not helping the students learn. It is only October and students have already had to write 7-5 paragraph essays, and take 4 quarterly assessments, I'm not sure when FAIR testing will start but I'm sure it will be soon, also FCAT is in April. Get all administration on the same "page" I only need one version of what I am supposed to do, not 3, different administrators have different standards for judging teacher effectiveness, if I was observed by 3 different administrators, I would have 3 different ratings for my effectiveness as a teacher.

Unbelievable reorganization occurring right now after 38 million deficit found. No fraud, just incredible competence.

Current Employee - Instructor in Manatee, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Manatee, FL

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teachers are some of the best I have ever worked with. And of course, it's close to the beach. On the past. There were many innovative, exciting programs in the district to engage both teachers and students.

Cons

New leadership. Same game, different players. All innovative programs have been cut, teachers have been cut, technology has been cut.

Talk to us. Don't just come to a campus and attend a faculty mtg. Talk to us, and listen. Really listen.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Instructor in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Bradenton, FL

Pros

People are great at Manatee Technical Institute. School is always stying current with technology in the industry. Students enjoy the latest up to date information.

Cons

Administration could do administrative work, instead of feeding the paper trail to the instructors. Busy work paper work, is not an effective use of time. Could be better used to work with the students.

One bad administrator can make the job miserable. Thankfully, there are others to compensate.