Manatee County School District

CEO

1. Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are able to substitute if you want to at a variety of schools and grade levels. If you are not sure about becoming a teacher or don't know what grade level range you'd prefer, substituting is perfect! I was able to meet several teachers and administrators and network with them through substitute opportunities. I was also able to gather and experience a variety of classrooms and teaching styles.

Cons

As with any substitute teacher position, the job offers vary from week to week. Some weeks your phone will ring off the hook with jobs, other weeks you may not receive any calls. Nothing really that can be done about that-just the way subbing is but something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

I was placed unknowingly in a highly special needs classroom supervising one student who was much stronger and taller than myself. For the safety of the student, myself and other students, I felt that particular substitute position should have been explained more so a fully capable person could fill the position. I do not have the needed training and skills in that particular area and did not feel comfortable subbing at that school that day.

2. Coordinator of Information Applications

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many. The work is pretty much regular, not much deviation from day to day. Great working hours and virtually never weekends or holiday hours.

Cons

The district's management is a mess. Recently it was discovered that $68M went missing. The Superintendent was fired and the new regime keeps changing people and carelessly not renewing key people who have high value. Most recent leader quit without notice. The board members cannot work together and pass the craziest requests from the Superintendent.

Advice to Management

You have lost the best employees to the private sector and managed to keep the deadwood on staff. Change for the sake of change disrupts working systems especially when key members are replaced with staff who know nothing about their new assignment. Also, firing staff to make room for friends at your last employer will come back to haunt you.

3. Teacher Aide

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly staff members, easy to jump right in and do my job. Great leadership from the principal I reported to. Paid well enjoyed my time overall.

Cons

Laid off a fourth of it's staff for budget cuts. Teacher I was assigned with was lazy and I did her job for the benefit of the children.

Advice to Management

More communication with staff members and easier application process.. The fees for testing, fingerprints etc are a bit pricy.

5. Uncertain furture

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time

Pros

The ability to have some impact on children's lives

Cons

Culture, Instability, Board, Lack of accountability

6. School Nurse

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time

Pros

Very good manager to work for who understand what you do on a daily basis. Flexible daily routine Supportive co-workers.

Cons

Teachers don't always understand the importance of health concerns in the classroom. And the opposite is true as well. Clinic is often mis used for not so important things. It is a balance and employees must be trained. Administration is not always supportive of the work the nurses do.

Teacher

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher

I worked at Manatee County School District

Pros

The kids are amazing and eager to learn.

Cons

Training for new teachers (or lack thereof). Professional development opportunities (or lack thereof) Human Resources department (or lack thereof). Pay (or lack thereof). Leadership (or lack thereof).

Advice to Management

Clean house and seek counsel.

8. Love the students, too bad they are not the priority anymore. .

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with students (the respectful ones), "family-like" atmosphere at school

Cons

low salary, overwhelming workload, stress, unmotivated and disrespectful students, clueless parents, insufficient training/professional development, poor communication between colleagues, "teaching for the test" mentality, constant student assessment, constantly changing procedures

Advice to Management

I know these problems are happening country-wide. America needs to start paying teachers what they deserve or droves of passionate and talented teachers will continue to walk out the door.

9. Great Place to work if money isn't an object!

Former Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Palmetto, FL

I worked at Manatee County School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

students, faculty and support system.

Cons

The pay is horrible. For the amount of work and dedication, its a crime!

Advice to Management

In general, teachers aren't cared for as they should be. Not an issue of Manatee County but overall Florida issue.

teacher

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great changes happening in the district. Lots of district support. Administrators are supportive and behind their teachers. Schedule is great.

Cons

Pay was just increased after years of a salary freeze. Health benefits are pricey for the better plans-only affordable benefits are the HMO plans.

11. Not bad

I have been working at Manatee County School District full-time

Pros

Summers off, a week for Thanksgiving break, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year's, 1 week for Spring Break, great health insurance with BC/BS, music and art in every elementary school (this year); salary is greater than some other FL counties at starting salary of about $37K

Cons

History of poor fiscal management. The published salary ladder system is not accurate. There are teachers who have worked with a Bachelor's degree for more than 10 years and are still only making $1,000 more than a beginning teacher. Sarasota County pays more and is better managed - work there if you can. Teachers get very little money for classroom needs.

Advice to Management

The teachers have an incredibly low morale at this time. While I realize you're tired of hearing about it, it's true - and it will only change with effective leadership that we feel we can trust.

RSS Feed </> Embed