Manatee County School District

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not bad

ProsSummers off, a week for Thanksgiving break, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year's, 1 week for Spring Break, great health insurance with BC/BS, music and art in every elementary school (this year); salary is greater than some other FL counties at starting salary of about $37K

ConsHistory of poor fiscal management. The published salary ladder system is not accurate. There are teachers who have worked with a Bachelor's degree for more than 10 years and are still only making $1,000 more than a beginning teacher. Sarasota County pays more and is better managed - work there if you can. Teachers get very little money for classroom needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe teachers have an incredibly low morale at this time. While I realize you're tired of hearing about it, it's true - and it will only change with effective leadership that we feel we can trust.

I worked for the district for over 14 years in management and what a mess

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTime off Christmas, Spring Break and holidays. Vacation time and sick time were nice. Retirement use to be great along with health benefits but now things have changed and they are bad.

ConsManagement is out of control, there is no understanding of financials and people. The environment is very corrupt and stressful to work in. Management does what it wants with no concern from anyone. It is not a team environment and you will be stabbed in the back without knowing which one of your friends or co-workers did it. They have a pension but what a joke when you really look at it. Most people there are just hanging on to retire or they leave with frustration. In my career working with fortune companies before the school district, working here was one of the worst mistakes I ever made in my life. My advice to the general public that pays property taxes to support this school system, you will never know of the corruption occurring and where your money is going, not the right place as they state.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace people in management positions that have a clue about what they are doing. Listen to the employees they have more knowledge than you do.

Completely disorganized, although a new administration is in charge. Doesn't seem too much better.

Elementary Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsVacations, students are fabulous, parents are supportive

Conspay is low
    no strong leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild your organization from the top. This means putting your strongest and smartest at the top to create what others need to utilize. Create an organized curriculum which mimics those found in the top states in the nation (NY, MA, MD etc.) Don't try to be your own hero. It's not working.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people to work with on the school level

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Bradenton, FL

ProsPrincipals' willingness to embrace innovation

ConsTeacher pay could be much better

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the school board a volunteer position instead of paid, and divert the savings to education

Get off the Titanic before it goes down!

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Bradenton, FL

ProsVacation, students are good, other teachers are great to work with.

ConsYou have no autonomy in your classroom. The district always find new ways to "reinvent the wheel," teachers have zero support and the union is unhelpful. The students are tested excessively, the quarterly benchmark assessment I had to give for my subject area was not testing the standards that were part of the unit-but rather was a reading test. Discipline problems are not handled. Administration downtown insists on "higher text complexity" rather than teaching to the level the students are on. Students are really below grade level, teachers are responsible for RTI instead of holding the students accountable and are passing students that should not pass to save on endless amounts of paper work. Teachers are not treated as professionals, they are not respected, listened to, or felt cared about. You are there to do what the district thinks will work for every student and the pay is dreadful! Anytime something new is introduced by the district (which is way too often) I get 3 different stories of what is wanted of me-1 story for each administrator at my school. Honestly, this school district is like the Titanic and we need to get off the ship because it's going down fast!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your teachers with a little dignity, we did go to college to become professionals. A little bump in salary would go a long way to boost morale-and I'm not talking $1750 (not even the amount the governor paid for). Testing students as often as is done is not helping the students learn. It is only October and students have already had to write 7-5 paragraph essays, and take 4 quarterly assessments, I'm not sure when FAIR testing will start but I'm sure it will be soon, also FCAT is in April. Get all administration on the same "page" I only need one version of what I am supposed to do, not 3, different administrators have different standards for judging teacher effectiveness, if I was observed by 3 different administrators, I would have 3 different ratings for my effectiveness as a teacher.

Unbelievable reorganization occurring right now after 38 million deficit found. No fraud, just incredible competence.

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Manatee, FL

ProsTeachers are some of the best I have ever worked with. And of course, it's close to the beach. On the past. There were many innovative, exciting programs in the district to engage both teachers and students.

ConsNew leadership. Same game, different players. All innovative programs have been cut, teachers have been cut, technology has been cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to us. Don't just come to a campus and attend a faculty mtg. Talk to us, and listen. Really listen.

Great place to work

Instructor (Current Employee)
    Bradenton, FL

ProsPeople are great at Manatee Technical Institute. School is always stying current with technology in the industry. Students enjoy the latest up to date information.

ConsAdministration could do administrative work, instead of feeding the paper trail to the instructors. Busy work paper work, is not an effective use of time. Could be better used to work with the students.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne bad administrator can make the job miserable. Thankfully, there are others to compensate.

I would not recommend working for the School District of Manatee County, the Management Team is in turmoil.

Bradenton, FL

ProsNice two weeks off at Christmas, plus vacation.

ConsNot a team atmosphere, so many people have been there so long that they just don't know how to be forward thinking. They don't share information because they think everyone is trying to take their job and the communication is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need management training.

Substitute Teaching is volunteering for Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsDistrict administration is fairly well organized and helpful.
    Opportunity for a lot of variety in assignments in Substitute Teaching.
    Enough demand to work every day, as long as you don't care which school or grade level or subject.

ConsPer diem pay of $89 day is shameful for the work required.
    Students, teachers, and administration have no respect for substitute teachers.
    Substitute teaching is like babysitting out of control adolescents.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay, and give substitutes the disciplinary support they need up front.

Good employer

ProsGood benefits, progressive, up on latest ideas

ConsSalary could be better than itis

Worked for Manatee County School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Manatee County School District reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Manatee County School District employees.