Manatt Phelps & Phillips Reviews

Paul H. Irving

1. Great Firm to work for

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Manatt for three years before the lay off. It was a great firm to work for and a positive, flexible work environment. They had every support system that you can think of. You could sign up for computer classes to keep you up to date on applications and programs. It was very well run.

Cons

Each person will have an experience unique unto themselves. I like my attorneys a lot, however; I had an attorney outside of my assigned work group that got too involved with my work situation. Management seemed to back her up when she had her own secretary. I always help out when I have time.

2. Legal Secretary - New York Office

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time

Pros

Convenient Times Square location, near all transportation. Friendly and nice fellow co-workers.

Cons

Staff members (I'm a Legal Secretary), have no employee perks. Here is a break down of key core items:
    Hours are 9:30-5:30, no summer Fridays (although Friday's are casual dress day),
    Raises are always between 1%-3% whether you've been here for 1 year or 30 years
    Bonuses are very minimal (kibble and bits) and taxed at 50%
    You start with 2 weeks of vacation (I've been working in law for 15 years and I've always started out with 3 weeks of vacation) which you accrue at 6 hours per month!
    Sick is accrued based on hours worked so for every 30 or so hours worked you accrue 1.5 hours of sick time.
    Your reviewed (which is done around February/March) from your start month through December (e.g. if you start in May, your review will be for 7 months) and they will short change even more on that 1% raise. Even if your professional (which was my case) give you a glowing review with no negative feedback, the most you receive is 3% if your lucky.

The perk they sold me on when I accepted the job was taken away as of 2015,it was if you are single they paid fully for your medical benefits, now as of 2015 everyone pays in. So the 1%-3% raise is pretty much 0% when you take into account the cost of living in New York City and transportation which went up this year and having to pay into medical. Professionals have assistants do personal tasks such as setting up doctor's appointments, watering plants, scanning, mailing and faxing personal documents, ordering personal daily lunches (which you have to run down, pick up and bring to them), one is even having his secretary type up a book for him. No one in management does a thing about this and everyone turns a blind eye. I have spoken to employees who have been with the firm for 15+ years and I'm told this is how it has ALWAYS been. Professionals do not like seeing you chat with your fellow co-workers even if you've skipped lunch to work on a project and want to stretch your legs, socializing is frowned upon. Bonuses and raises are given in March, you receive nothing in December so don't expect any extra for holiday shopping. Professionals keep to themselves, don't mingle with staff and treat us like second class citizens. Some professionals expect you to stay at your desk the entire 7 hours and complain if their phones ring while your in the bathroom or grabbing coffee in the pantry. I have never worked at a firm that has so many negative points to it. We all know that no job is perfect and there will always be something to complain about, but this firm takes the cake. It shows with the turn around rate for people here under a year. If your a woman whose pregnant employees get ZERO maternity leave time. You must use all of your sick and apply for disability which only pays you 50-60% of your paycheck and they take medical and everything else from it.. Only the professionals are given 3-6 months of full paid maternity leave.

Lastly titles for admins are split between Executive Assistants, Administrative Assistants and Legal Secretaries. Although for the most part everyone here does the same exact thing.

I would not recommend a position here to a family member or a good friend. But I would recommend it to an enemy.

Advice to Management

Simple - Actually manage. Give your employees (non-legal staff admins) perks and a desire to come into the office.

Solid 7 Years in LA Office

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked in two different departments in Los Angeles while I was at Manatt. Enjoyed the vast majority of my time there. My direct supervisors and managers always accommodated life (work-life balance), within work-able reason. Attorneys were usually friendly and seemed appreciative. A handful, at max, of nightmare partners. Benefits were good.

Cons

Lack of leadership in technology.
    Had to fight for raises, but probably a good lesson to learn.
    Manatt rarely fires people. So, a handful of negative people can really poison the well.

5. One of the best job of my career.

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Great work life balance career.

Cons

No cons to address about company.

Advice to Management

No advice to give about management.

6. Deliverable driven atmosphere.

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Very smart hardworking colleagues that push you to do your best.

Cons

Little autonomy over own work portfolio.

7. Would be there another 8 if I didn't move out of state

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Everyone is a team player, easy to work with, and communicates well. The processes and procedures are easy to follow. Software is up to date and you have support 24-7. Having fun, team building exercises throughout the year that involves all levels (i.e. attorneys, staff, records dept and office services) is a huge plus.

Cons

Having the opportunity to work on projects that are challenging and outside the realm of everyday tasks

8. FORCED ARBITRATION

Current Employee - General in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - General in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Nice Offices BAD MANAGEMENT

Cons

Forced arbitration has become a shield against any accountability, undermining our nation's system of justice and denying the public access to the courts.

Advice to Management

Remove forced arbitration as a condition for work.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff. Good benefits.

Cons

Attorneys need to work at interacting more with staff. Better training policy should be implemented. Systems and software outdated. IT Dept. very uncaring and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Show the staff that they are valued at the firm.

Ignorance and lack of professionalism

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Near the beach. Onsite gym and restaurant. Quiet area for walking on your lunch or break. Freeway and public transportation accessible. Underground parking for most employees. Conservative. The company has been around a long time and not had too many layoffs. Lot of younger people onboard and plenty who have been with the company for years. Some events to help bring employees together. Typical business causal environment.

Cons

Employee concerns about accuracy, accountability, professional attitude and demeanor, discrimination, training, productivity, communications, teamwork, are ignored. Hostility and apathy takes precedence over productivity. I agree with other reviewers who had negative experiences and I value their observations. Salaries seem on the low side in comparison to other firms.

Advice to Management

You should put your money where your mouth is.

Run, run far away and never look back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. A few cool people I guess.

Cons

The worst place I've ever worked for in my entire life. Management is a joke, the pay rate compared to other companies is a joke, and they will work you into the ground without batting an eye.

On multiple occasions I asked to hire a temp or share some of my ridiculous work load with my peers and management just said "sure, of course" with ZERO follow-through. On one occasion I asked to go home sick, as I wasn't feeling well, and my boss actually said, "what, again?" with all the attitude of a teenage prom queen.

During my time there I started getting panic attacks, severe anxiety, had to start seeing a therapist three times a week and had to take anti-anxiety medication.

I would NEVER EVER work there again and would recommend anyone thinking about it to think again.

Advice to Management

Actually manage--that would be nice.

Manatt Phelps & Phillips Photos

Manatt Phelps Philips Best View!!

+ Add Photo