Manatt Phelps & Phillips

www.manatt.com

Manatt Phelps & Phillips Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Manatt Phelps & Phillips – Washington – “Manatt Phelps Philips Best View!!”

Paul H. Irving

Friendly People

ProsFriendly people to work with

ConsI noticed that staff gets treated like dirt

Run, run far away and never look back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNot many. A few cool people I guess.

ConsThe worst place I've ever worked for in my entire life. Management is a joke, the pay rate compared to other companies is a joke, and they will work you into the ground without batting an eye.

On multiple occasions I asked to hire a temp or share some of my ridiculous work load with my peers and management just said "sure, of course" with ZERO follow-through. On one occasion I asked to go home sick, as I wasn't feeling well, and my boss actually said, "what, again?" with all the attitude of a teenage prom queen.

During my time there I started getting panic attacks, severe anxiety, had to start seeing a therapist three times a week and had to take anti-anxiety medication.

I would NEVER EVER work there again and would recommend anyone thinking about it to think again.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually manage--that would be nice.

unlawful discrimination in hiring, training, promotion.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsEmployee 11 years. Their behavior shows that they are about to announce layoffs again. Senior management directs an atmosphere of subtle racism.

ConsLawyers seem professional, friendly and competent, but there is a reason that a company in the midst of the diversity of Los Angeles, can not keep any black male lawyers.

The staff is competent, but almost no room for advanced thinking.

Workers are tricked into thinking the administration wants your suggestions. But constructive criticism is met with retaliation.

The risk management staff should be replaced because all they do is retaliate on the basis of a mentality of the 1930s ..

Advice to Senior ManagementReap what you sow.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work!!!

Conflicts Clerk (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey have somewhat decent benefits

ConsTreats its staff like garbage!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better!!!

A mediocre law firm with minimal respect for its staff.

Administrative Staff (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe pay was decent for an entry level position and the company covered the cost of basic medical benefits. Sick & vacation time was standard, and they were generally pretty flexible in terms of schedule. The location is great, right next to Little Osaka and about a dozen ramen joints within walking distance. There are some great people that make up the staff who you inevitably become friends with, although the most unifying aspect of the firm's culture & environment stems from a shared feeling of demoralization, sometimes even anger, with the firm's decisions or business practices.

ConsFirm in General:
    Conventional attitude towards firm business matters. This place is about as corporate as it gets. There is a lot of fear and little morale among the staff, which is a horrible combination for an already dull workplace. Even middle managers are afraid of their superiors, which pretty much leaves the regular staff high & dry with most of their issues. In my opinion, this place thrives on making and keeping its employees complacent. Communication can be great or terrible, but of course this is all dependent upon who you're interacting with. Almost no chance whatsoever for promotions or upward movement.

My Department:
    I worked in one of the firm's administrative departments and it was a horrible mess of inefficiency. My dept was understaffed, overworked, and forced to use an archaic computer system that wastes hundreds of hours of manpower a month, all because the firm refuses to hire an appropriately-sized staff or update software developed in the early 90s. We were unofficially expected to work overtime nearly every day to complete our work, which just wouldn't happen if the firm would be proactive in changing & adapting as they grow. The problem is that management is fully aware of all of these things but unwilling (or incredibly slow) to remedy any of it, which places the burden of the work directly on the staff. As you can imagine, stress runs high from day to day. During my few years there, they progressively initiated new "policies" that had a tendency to prevent management from doing anything to help out the people who work very hard to ensure that THEY don't get in trouble with THEIR boss. The last straw for me was when I found out that it was now "policy" for my bosses NOT to write a professional recommendation for me. That is unprofessional and unacceptable when a company hires college grads who aspire to be more than your underling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to spend some money to improve the business! From my observations of the policies & procedures in place, management, and overall system of operation, efficiency could be improved tenfold if you spent a little bit of money to improve these things. In addition to increasing the workflow, it would greatly reduce the stress that the staff consistently feel, which would further enhance the firm as both a business and a culture.

None.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice offices clean perfect location.

ConsFrom top to bottom-Bad Management style. The IT Director has more say than any attorney in the firm. The problem isn't the staff its management. The level of respect is very low from managers to staff. The administrator runs the operation like a concentration camp.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is to arrogant to take any advice. Attorneys need to get together and fire all of management including the IT director. Until then the firm will always be a revolving door. The company needs to hire humans with people skills.

view from staff

Prosvery relaxed environment
    managers are not onsite
    good benefits
    high pay

Consvery LA centric
    no respect to staff from attorneys
    staff treated like second class citizens

Advice to Senior Managementwhen the fish rots, it starts at the head

Paralegal

Corporate Paralegal (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGenerally friendly environment; strong, established clientele; convenient physical location; decent benefits

ConsLittle job growth and project management

Graphic Designer - Business and Development

Graphic Designer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat benefits - Free parking, on-site gym with outdoor tennis and basketball courts
    Laid back environment with a friendly team
    HR is friendly and approachable
    Management is very well organized
    Job stability
    Great work/life balance - perfect for those with families
    Almost everyone has a degree

ConsLack of growth - very mundane work. A lot of copy/paste entry-level secretarial work will not keep me an overqualified employee for long.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about hiring from agencies.

Incredible Associates

Staff (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOutside of specific individuals managing the firm on the East Coast, the people from the staff to the associates and several partners really make it what it is.

ConsUnfortunately the management eclipses the talent. While the needs of attorneys demand that duties be performed a certain way, management's demands are completely different. Seeking help from management is not even a consideration. It spends most of its time using policies to incriminate staff, even when they have been followed. The environment becomes very taxing and confusing, and the commitment of many employees suffers as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementI remember when partners had staff line up to complain about the practices of the office management on the east coast. Several of those staff members have left or been dismissed. Certain individuals in east coast management remain. Rumors of nepotism were often mentioned, and they became a common joke. It's not so funny though when partners dislike the management for being ineffective or when the staff suffers because of managerial competence. The loss of talent speaks to the quality of the firm and its management, at least on the East Coast. I encourage management at HQ to remedy the problem. A better environment would enable far better quality of work.

Worked for Manatt Phelps & Phillips? Contribute to the Community!