Manatt Phelps & Phillips

2.3

Paul H. Irving

Deliverable driven atmosphere.

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Very smart hardworking colleagues that push you to do your best.

Cons

Little autonomy over own work portfolio.

Would be there another 8 if I didn't move out of state

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Everyone is a team player, easy to work with, and communicates well. The processes and procedures are easy to follow. Software is up to date and you have support 24-7. Having fun, team building exercises throughout the year that involves all levels (i.e. attorneys, staff, records dept and office services) is a huge plus.

Cons

Having the opportunity to work on projects that are challenging and outside the realm of everyday tasks

FORCED ARBITRATION

Current Employee - General in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - General in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Nice Offices BAD MANAGEMENT

Cons

Forced arbitration has become a shield against any accountability, undermining our nation's system of justice and denying the public access to the courts.

Remove forced arbitration as a condition for work.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff. Good benefits.

Cons

Attorneys need to work at interacting more with staff. Better training policy should be implemented. Systems and software outdated. IT Dept. very uncaring and unhelpful.

Show the staff that they are valued at the firm.

Ignorance and lack of professionalism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Near the beach. Onsite gym and restaurant. Quiet area for walking on your lunch or break. Freeway and public transportation accessible. Underground parking for most employees. Conservative. The company has been around a long time and not had too many layoffs. Lot of younger people onboard and plenty who have been with the company for years. Some events to help bring employees together. Typical business causal environment.

Cons

Employee concerns about accuracy, accountability, professional attitude and demeanor, discrimination, training, productivity, communications, teamwork, are ignored. Hostility and apathy takes precedence over productivity. I agree with other reviewers who had negative experiences and I value their observations. Salaries seem on the low side in comparison to other firms.

You should put your money where your mouth is.

Run, run far away and never look back

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not many. A few cool people I guess.

Cons

The worst place I've ever worked for in my entire life. Management is a joke, the pay rate compared to other companies is a joke, and they will work you into the ground without batting an eye.

On multiple occasions I asked to hire a temp or share some of my ridiculous work load with my peers and management just said "sure, of course" with ZERO follow-through. On one occasion I asked to go home sick, as I wasn't feeling well, and my boss actually said, "what, again?" with all the attitude of a teenage prom queen.

During my time there I started getting panic attacks, severe anxiety, had to start seeing a therapist three times a week and had to take anti-anxiety medication.

I would NEVER EVER work there again and would recommend anyone thinking about it to think again.

Actually manage--that would be nice.

Horrible place to work!!!

Former Employee - Conflicts Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Conflicts Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have somewhat decent benefits

Cons

Treats its staff like garbage!!!!

Treat your employees better!!!

A mediocre law firm with minimal respect for its staff.

Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was decent for an entry level position and the company covered the cost of basic medical benefits. Sick & vacation time was standard, and they were generally pretty flexible in terms of schedule. The location is great, right next to Little Osaka and about a dozen ramen joints within walking distance. There are some great people that make up the staff who you inevitably become friends with, although the most unifying aspect of the firm's culture & environment stems from a shared feeling of demoralization, sometimes even anger, with the firm's decisions or business practices.

Cons

Firm in General:
    Conventional attitude towards firm business matters. This place is about as corporate as it gets. There is a lot of fear and little morale among the staff, which is a horrible combination for an already dull workplace. Even middle managers are afraid of their superiors, which pretty much leaves the regular staff high & dry with most of their issues. In my opinion, this place thrives on making and keeping its employees complacent. Communication can be great or terrible, but of course this is all dependent upon who you're interacting with. Almost no chance whatsoever for promotions or upward movement.

My Department:
    I worked in one of the firm's administrative departments and it was a horrible mess of inefficiency. My dept was understaffed, overworked, and forced to use an archaic computer system that wastes hundreds of hours of manpower a month, all because the firm refuses to hire an appropriately-sized staff or update software developed in the early 90s. We were unofficially expected to work overtime nearly every day to complete our work, which just wouldn't happen if the firm would be proactive in changing & adapting as they grow. The problem is that management is fully aware of all of these things but unwilling (or incredibly slow) to remedy any of it, which places the burden of the work directly on the staff. As you can imagine, stress runs high from day to day. During my few years there, they progressively initiated new "policies" that had a tendency to prevent management from doing anything to help out the people who work very hard to ensure that THEY don't get in trouble with THEIR boss. The last straw for me was when I found out that it was now "policy" for my bosses NOT to write a professional recommendation for me. That is unprofessional and unacceptable when a company hires college grads who aspire to be more than your underling.

Don't be afraid to spend some money to improve the business! From my observations of the policies & procedures in place, management, and overall system of operation, efficiency could be improved tenfold if you spent a little bit of money to improve these things. In addition to increasing the workflow, it would greatly reduce the stress that the staff consistently feel, which would further enhance the firm as both a business and a culture.

Friendly People

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips

Pros

Friendly people to work with

Cons

I noticed that staff gets treated like dirt

None.

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice offices clean perfect location.

Cons

From top to bottom-Bad Management style. The IT Director has more say than any attorney in the firm. The problem isn't the staff its management. The level of respect is very low from managers to staff. The administrator runs the operation like a concentration camp.

Management is to arrogant to take any advice. Attorneys need to get together and fire all of management including the IT director. Until then the firm will always be a revolving door. The company needs to hire humans with people skills.

Manatt Phelps & Phillips Photos

Manatt Phelps Philips Best View!!

+ Add Photo