Manchester College Reviews

CEO

1. Great people, great mission, great university

Current Employee - Manchester University Staff Member in North Manchester, IN
    Current Employee - Manchester University Staff Member in North Manchester, IN

I have been working at Manchester College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, great mission, and a great university to work for. Manchester is always advancing, and the staff, faculty, and students are eager to be part of the advancing.

Cons

Some politics within the university can get irritating, but for the most part it is tolerable. The upper management can resist change in certain areas, but for the most part they are open to change.

Advice to Management

Things aren't what they used to be; embrace the change.

2. Great place to be!

Current Employee - Director in North Manchester, IN
    Current Employee - Director in North Manchester, IN

I have been working at Manchester College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Supportive supervisor who is motivating and appreciates the work of our team. Professional and respectful atmosphere. Supervisors appreciate and recognize employees who go above and beyond. Most everyone lives the mission statement of the University. Supportive of family time and flexible when family obligations arise. My direct supervisor cares to know and understand who I am and what matters to me. Professional development opportunities are made possible and attendance is encouraged. Most everyone truly seems happy to be at work!

Cons

Pay. Unrealistic expectations for the amount of work that can be accomplished in the hours given to complete it is frustrating. Snobbery at times such as when one needs information from another department and the person requesting the information is circumspect for asking. This makes me feel like I am unimportant and it stops progress on projects I am working on until the person deems me worthy of his or her knowledge.

Advice to Management

Treat part-time employees with the same importance as full-time even though we don't qualify for the same compensation package as full-time employees. We still matter and so does our work.

3. Great opportunity for students

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Manchester College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I graduated from Manchester College (now Manchester University) and was lucky enough to work for Manchester as a student. Many of the departments, including Public Relations, Technology, Library Studies, and Athletic Training, have internships that students can apply for. Each of these opens up every year, and they typically have 2 or 3 students work in each spot.

Cons

There are only a few spots avaliable, and typically go to the best, most outgoing students who are known around the school. If you have a shy, quick personality, and if you are not involved in various clubs on campus, you will not get the job. Furthermore, Manchester only pays their students minimum wage, and only lets them work 20 hours a week. Most positions only give you 10 hours a week. In reality, you cannot earn more than $1000 a semester from working.

5. Manchester College, North Manchester, IN

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in North Manchester, IN
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in North Manchester, IN

I worked at Manchester College

Pros

You don't feel like just a number. People genuinely care about you at MC.

Cons

It's not a very good way to diversify yourself, in small town Indiana.

Advice to Management

Repeal the dry campus moniker, and MC could really boom

6. Worked for the Offender Learning Directorate who provided Training for Prisoners in UK Prisons.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Manchester College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Independent ER trouble shooting job across the UK. Complex cases.

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic but understandable given their public sector ethos.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in HMPs.and Young Offender Institutions.

7. Student Employment

I worked at Manchester College

Pros

Faculty and staff understand that students need to put studies first. Finding a job was simple. Great work environment with lots of support.

Cons

System for logging work hours was sometimes a pain and required much more effort than necessary to correct an error.

Advice to Management

Really and overall great job.