Mango Languages Reviews

2.4
Jason Teshuba

Great Company!

I have been working at Mango Languages

Pros

• Entrepreneurial environment
    • Talented and motivated workforce
    • Collaborative atmosphere
    • Everyone makes work fun
    • Training is improving

Cons

• This is a good company for go-getters. Don’t expect anything to come your way (I don’t see this as a con, but it’s something you have to be aware of).
    • Work environment can be chaotic and noisy.

Dear Fellow Mango:

Thank you for your review! We agree that we have a talented and motivated group of employees, and we’re having a great time working on new training and development initiatives

Seriously?

I have been working at Mango Languages

Pros

I get paid for doing my job.

Cons

Well, just when I thought we couldn't sink any lower, we do. As we were unable to have the negative reviews removed from this site (oh, and we tried), we've decided to respond to each one with the "blah, blah, blah" no one cares about. Every rebutal from Mango sounds like it was crafted from the same cookie cutter books we base our business model on. Wait, give it a minute, we will restructure, reboot, reform....heck, perhaps it's time for a name change. That might do the trick.

How do I know we tried to get the negative reviews removed, you may ask? NOTHING in this office is sacred. When "leadership" wants to review an employee, they go through the office asking other employees. What? Yes, you read that right. "So Sally, what do you think of Billy's work performance?" This has to be one of the most unprofessional acts I've come across yet. Aren't those things supposed to be private? Not here. There is no private. Everyone's dirty laundry is for everyone to see. Even trying to get these reviews removed.

Now, I'm sure my review will receive a "You aren't happy? Come to my office and we will discuss this matter privately." No thanks. The Puppet Master will never allow real change to happen. So please, save your time and mine. If I thought any thing around here would EVER change, I'd be in HR daily chatting you up.

Advice to Management

You've made your beds. You've decided to stick with what isn't working. What can any of us truly say that would matter? You don't even notice when we leave. Perhaps you will when your office is cut in half.

Mar 17, 2015Director of Talent & Organizational Culture

Dear Fellow Mango,

We are very solutions-focused in our Office Culture Team meetings. Within the next few weeks, in addition to many of the smaller changes that have already been put into place
    ... More

Great people, great environment that fosters growth and innovative thinking.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

These guys have it right. The company is full of talent, full of promise and full of great mentors. Unsure of why there would be anything other than 4 and 5 star reviews, I'm assuming it's because leadership does a good job of weeding out people with a negative mindset and attitude - leaving them to resort to fabricating lies in their resentful tantrum.

Since I've been here, I've had nothing but room to grow and plenty of resources offered to me whenever it's needed. I haven't even needed to ask because leadership is good at understanding what needs to be done and when. Everyone here is treated with respect and greeted with genuine smiles in the morning, and a high five before heading home. The culture is the best I've experienced in any office job I've ever had, benefits are great, time-off is unlimited and if you have to work from home on short notice, nobody has a problem with it.

I was given guidance and responsibility the second I was hired, and am gearing up for a great year with the company. I had the amazing opportunity to work closely with leadership very early on, and I can tell you that they work really well together. You can see why the co-owners are successful, each one exhibits a special quality that their counterpart may not have, but when they work together, it's like watching a well-oiled machine. These people work so hard it's admirable.

HR has been awesome, and every department from product development to sales to marketing is filled with extremely nice, very funny and TALENTED people. Super thankful for the time I've spent here and the experience I've been given. They've given me more than what I'd asked for. It was a great experience, and continues to be a great experience well into the year.

Cons

I've yet to run into something that's a legitimate issue.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Dear Fellow Mango:

We are so happy to hear that you have had such a positive experience in your time at Mango Languages. It is important to us that Mangos have “room to grow” along with being
    ... More

A group of individuals with some very intelligent employees and very inept managers.

I worked at Mango Languages (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmmm...you work inside, you have a bathroom you can use, some people are very nice...all the basics...not much else...

Cons

People drinking alcohol throughout the day in the office...what are they thinking??

Advice to Management

CEO's need to become engaged with their workforce and day-to-day Operation Managers.

Dear Reviewer:

Thank you for your feedback. We reflect on all reviews posted to Glassdoor, just as we listen carefully to our current employees’ feedback internally. We are disappointed to hear
    ... More

From Good to Great to Horrible.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Most every employee (those who do not supervise or lead) are incredible, talented, bright, and fun people.
    2. Most of teams appear solid and running well, primarily just finance, Technology, and public library sales team (at least for the most part).
    3. Owners can be incredibly bright, innovative, and fascinating to learn from.
    4. Potential for a strong resource that could be extremely popular in libraries, consortia, and corporations.

Cons

This is a difficult review to write, as I believed with my entire soul, passion, and energy that I had finally found a company that aligned with my personal beliefs and core values. I did enjoy working there, believed in the product, believed in the company, and even the owners' scattered passions. However, I also witnessed so many immoral actions, along with insecure management actions, that my heart breaks for my friends who remain...and for the future of the company.

1. Management asked me and others to write positive reviews on this site, in order to offset those negative ones posted. Not only does that go against their integrity core value but also, the negative ones aren't coming from bad or disgruntled former employees. These honest posts (albeit some harsh) come from folks who also totally embraced what Mango was all about. They trusted management, and trusted the company believed in their own core values. They thought they were safe to speak freely. That unfortunately isn't the case. It saddens me beyond belief. Especially as I was one of those mentioned in other reviews to be fired suddenly. However, the outpouring of love, caring, and support from some Mango peeps...along with many LinkedIn recommendations, phonecalls of support, texts/emails asking what they can do - makes me know how awesome the frontline staff are at Mango. They are definitely NOT the con in this review, but only the victims in this company. In fact, many Mangos are interviewing and trying to get out, due to the incredible chaos and dysfunction. Sure, there were a few folks that were let go, and should have been. But the amount of rockstar employees that suddenly disappear, or given 6 weeks to finish up projects and then scoot, is incredibly alarming.

2. The insecurity of leadership is astonishing. With incredible turnover in less than a year, the academic sales team and marketing department suffer the most, along with having very top-down, patronizing leadership styles...where no one is supporting the team - rather ordering them. Staff on these teams are not afforded the trust to speak up, so many do not. Or those that do, are considered negative or threatening to the leader...and thus disappear quickly.

3. Do not be enticed by the flexible or unlimited time-off. New hires think this is the best perk, but unfortunately it is more difficult than a regular company with normal time-off policies. If the manager likes you, or you are a favorite with the leadership team, then no worries - all will be fine and you can work from home or take off whenever you want. If not - then nothing about this so-called perk is a benefit.

4. While the company has made it to 7 years, their future is extremely shaky at best - both financially and leadership. Ask to see investor reports and ask about the 5 year strategic sales and marketing plans for revenue. There isn't any. Marketing doesn't understand how to tie revenue projections or sales/customer needs to anything marketing related (but they will ensure cartoon mangos will be cute as ever!).

5. There are several 'long-term' folks who truly do not embody the core values, let alone even know them. I unfortunately witnessed a young employee manipulate a financial situation, leaving many of us who witnessed it feeling as if they were stealing from the company. But because this person has a connection with one of the owners, and is continually protected by other leaders - nothing happened. In addition, this same employee was heard stating a racial slur at a library conference...which was incredibly embarrassing to learn about from others in the industry.

6. Another leader, who comes off as very endearing and sweet, continually states extremely inappropriate statements at group meetings. She giggled while referencing our group being like the the kkk, while a Black staff member was sitting right there. She often joked with the team asking if anyone is 'getting fired or quitting today.' How is that type of inappropriateness tolerated at a company that claims to care so much about their core values? The final straw came when this leader made an extremely inappropriate and age-prejudice statement on social media about an older staff member. When do these core values come into play when it is someone in a leadership role?

7. In the past 12-14 months, at least 10 people who had kids or were over the age of 40 (or close to it) were fired or forced out. Many believe that Mango leadership may be very age biased. Unless you are young, without children, and eager to make minimal pay - you will not last there. In fact, an extremely inexperienced manager stated that needing time off, or having to work from home to be with my child (school canceled), wasn't a valid reason and not fair to other employees who didn't have kids. This manager has no one to truly mentor her in how to work with people of all ages and experiences...so instead - fires them.

8. Very inconsistent hiring and firing methods. This surprises me, as there are just some standards that all companies should follow, but apparently not at Mango. If you are related to an owner, or good friends with a 'lackie leader' (meaning those managers/directors who do anything the chief operations officer says), then you are hired, almost immediately with no normal interview process. Or in a recent scenario - you may have an interview and the team they will be working with voices their concerns, but the 'lackie leader' hires anyway...because they are friends.

Sometimes folks come in for one interview, then four hours later after meeting with a slew of different folks - you are offered the job on the spot or within a few hours. Other times, folks come in for 4-5 different interviews, and it could take months before hired. Very odd indeed, and definitely not very transparent or consistent, especially depending on the position or the hiring manager. Of course, firing the rockstar human resource director they had this year probably didn't help with this process either.

Firing - some people are fired instantly, while some are given 6 weeks to finish up projects and find another job. Then there are those professionals who give proper notice they are leaving - but because of leadership's immaturity they don't like that someone chose to quit, so they fire them instantly. And then some are just offered a sum of money to leave if they aren't happy with how things are going.They claim they give three written warnings prior to a firing - but that is just a flat out lie. Those 'rockstars' fired in 2014 never received three written warnings, some didn't even receive one...let alone verbal warnings.

Advice to Management

Please. For the sake of everything you believed in when you started this company. Take a good hard look at all that has transpired in the past 2 years and ask yourselves what changed/happened 2-3 years ago to do all this? Perhaps even read the article on glassdoor about things to consider before firing someone.

You have had some amazing and dedicated folks, wanting to bring Mango to the next level and help it grow (rather than experience the decline it is having). Your current management and chief operating officer aren't able to do this. They just don't have the leadership skills or business management skills you think they do. Don't let a good thing die because of just a few people in leadership roles. If you were to get more involved and witness things first hand, and then made some hard choices to get rid of a few managers/leaders (which will be hard, because we all know you cherish them greatly), you would be amazed at the cheering that would occur from the rest of your staff. Don't be fooled just because they smile, nod, and agree with anything and everything you say or want. That isn't who you need/deserve to run your company. Such amazing potential - with the resource, wonderful frontline staff, and the owners' passion and love...but it isn't going to last if you don't take a good hard look at what is happening 'in the middle.'

Dear Reviewer:

We are very sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience while you worked at Mango Languages. We are excited to be taking several important steps in 2015 that we are
    ... More

Rotten to the Core (values)

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Foreign languages are fun. Lots of cool people in non-leadership roles. You can write on the wall.

Cons

Where to begin... how about Mango's core values, the most pathetic excuse for enabling passive-aggressive behavior I have ever seen. Beginning any sentence with 'Totally honest, totally kind, but..." is carte blanche to throw teamwork, ethics and communication out the window. Don't like someone's response to your feedback? Just let them know that they are not 'showing a positive attitude and taking personal responsibility to create a healthy work environment.' If someone is still resistant, go ahead and bring out the cherry on the core values sundae- just tell them they need to 'believe or leave.' If you haven't lost your appetite just yet, ask about the 4 hour written core values exam that all employees are required to take in their first 90 days.

We can't skip over the elephant in the room- morale and turnover. Mango had a 50% turnover rate in 2014 (nope- not a typo, kids!) If you haven't noticed already, there's a bonafide WAR here on Glassdoor. More reviews have gone up in the past few months than the company's first few years! Just take a look at the company analytics- it's data, folks. Every time a negative review (such as this) is posted, it's just a matter of days before a glowing one appears. Rumor has it the owners and leadership are doing it. At the end of the day, does it real matter? Clearly something is amiss here with a turnover percentage that high. The reviews speak for themselves. maybe you would fit in and like it at Mango. Maybe they did just happen to have a bunch of folks who were not a core values/culture fit for the organization. But half the company? With almost all the people who left leaving for better career options? How bad can they all be? Maybe it's the hiring process? No, that can't be it as the person who is responsible for the culture fit interview (COO) also makes all the firing decisions. If you can think for yourself, have ideas and subject matter knowledge or don't align yourself to her, you are the next fuel source for her power trip and get ready to be blasted into outer space far away from the Mango Grove.

Let's not forget the weekly HR survey (which coincidentally, HR has no power over). Each week you are asked to fill out a survey indicating your 'happy' score. If you don't appear to be happy enough, you will be the lucky recipient of a 'chat' with the COO or your manager. How do they know to chat with you, you might ask? It's not an anonymous survey, that's why! At Mango you own your words. There is no room for people who desire to make anonymous comments or suggestions. It doesn't stop there- your score and comments are then shared at the weekly leadership team meeting, which is basically the beginning of the end for you- the Mango mafia kiss of death.

The company makes a great product. I was so excited to join the organization when I did, but that quickly dissipated. It is sad to see what a truly corrupt state of affairs exist there now. If you are considering joining the 'grove' suggest you take a good, hard look at ALL of the comments here. And then run like hell.

But that's just me being totally honest and totally kind.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Take your company back. The person you placed your faith in to run the organization is running it alright- straight into the ground. No healthy organization has a 50% turnover rate in one year, especially one that did not experience layoffs. The problem isn't everyone else.
    For the love of all things holy, bring back someone who has a real HR background. The unethical (and often illegal) comments and practices made by management are frightening.

Dear Reviewer:

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am truly sorry that your experience at Mango Languages did not match our intention to be an incredible company that
    ... More

This was once a great place to work, A LONG TIME AGO.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for a long time, and can pretty much fly under the radar. My co workers rock!

Cons

As I said in my comment above, I'm flying under the radar....for now. I've seen some great leaders and staff either get fired or leave on their own in 2014. Then, our current leadership talks about them to everyone after they're gone. Why they got fired or left, how they were bad at their jobs, I've even seen some write some really nasty things about good staff that left on their own. Sorry, but I see a huge HR red flag here. This is what is really starting to concern me. What direction is this company taking? All of the back stabbing and negativity in the office and leadership is incapable of recognizing it starts with them. You never know if you're going to be next.

I've read ALL of the reviews, and truly believe management is behind most (if not all) of the "this place is the best!" reviews. We are asked to read and live too many different books over the years. I can spot them a mile away. I've got my ear pretty well on the ground around here, and no one thinks this is the heaven on earth made out in the "great" reviews. Everyone is scared to speak up because we've seen what happens to those that do. It's not because these people "didn't fit the culture" or "didn't want to put in the work", it's because they took the honesty core value to heart. They spoke up. Pointed out things that are wrong. And in the end. They are no longer here.

We have our companies core values on the wall. We've all been subjected to the 3 hour test to be sure we fit. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to fit if this is the direction we're heading. It's sad. Truly sad. I used to love working here. I was happy every day coming to the office. Now, I wake up with dread in my heart and head.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at what has changed over the past 12 months. Why is this no longer a great place to be? Stop believing your own hype and see what is written here. We are going to lose even more great people if this continues.

Dear Fellow Mango:

It saddens me to hear how unhappy you are. I sincerely hope you are offering anonymous feedback internally as well, so that our Office Culture Team can be working toward
    ... More

Judge for yourself, but take note of the tone of the negative reviews

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Simply put, Mango is the best employer I have ever worked for. You are treated with respect and expectations for your attitude and performance are clearly laid out from day one. At no point are you ever discouraged from voicing your opinion--you may be asked to be cognizant of HOW you express your opinion, and once your opinion has been voiced and discussed, you will be asked to buy in to the final decision of the organization, whether that decision aligns with your opinion or not...but everyone is encouraged to be totally honest, and that standard is something that upheld throughout every level of the organization.

In reading some of the negative reviews posted recently, I noticed a common theme: blaming of company leadership for that employee's unhappiness. Regardless of where you work, you are ultimately responsible for you own happiness in that place of employment. A common theme in the Core Values at Mango is "personal responsibility"--this is not just lip service. If you are unhappy with your position (be that at Mango or anywhere else) it is incumbent upon you to take responsibility to take whatever steps are necessary to fix that issue. In most cases, that will mean being at least somewhat introspective and asking the question "what can I do to improve my situation, my performance, or my attitude?" If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then you will inevitably resort back to the blame game and look outwardly to project the source of your unhappiness on someone or something else. That action, however, is more of a reflection of a lack of personal and situational awareness than a reflection of an unhealthy work environment.

My experience at Mango has been inherently positive. The company culture is positive, friendly, and geared toward ensuring that everyone succeeds together (both on a personal and an organizational level). Our core purpose of enriching lives with language and culture is truly something that leadership believes in and exemplifies with its behavior and message. Our product helps people communicate with one another, despite geographic, cultural, social, and (obviously) linguistic barriers that might otherwise keep them apart. I sincerely feel that the work I do on a daily basis is helping to make a difference in the world by brining people together.

Prior to coming to Mango, I worked for a multi-national corporation and a large U.S. corporation, both of which were very highly respected companies in their fields. However, at no point in my previous employment did I ever feel that my work was sincerely profoundly affecting the people who purchased my company's products. At Mango, I have that feeling everyday. In addition, Mango makes coming to work enjoyable. People in the office actually smile, joke, and play all day long. We also work very hard towards a common goal. But we have fun while doing it.

Ultimately no review that you read on a website can capture what it is like to work at an employer. You need to make that determination for yourself based on the interactions you have with that employer. People who leave an employer and then vent their frustrations by casting broadly worded accusations and generalizations without specific examples to substantiate those claims on an anonymous website are probably not the best sources to trust in their reviews however. Mango, its culture, its people, and its core values and core purpose are exemplary. At least that is my own humble opinion.

Cons

This is not necessarily a con in my mind, but the environment is fast paced, and is based on the idea that Mango is always changing in an attempt to innovate and improve what we do as well as the services we offer. Innovation is a core value, and it is something the company continually strives to achieve. This creates an environment where people who are unwilling or unable to allow and account for change in their responsibilities, attitude, and behavior, will probably not succeed. If change frightens you, this is not the environment for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize and promote your Core Values. They are noble, worthwhile, and ultimately will ensure that you have the right people in the right seats, as those who cannot or will not buy into the Values will be weeded out. Creating a more definitive and detailed vision for the future and how to continue growing is something that does need to be addressed sooner rather than later (i.e. what will be the next earth-shattering innovation that Mango will create that will disrupt the industry and ensure that Mango continues to grow and flourish?)

Dear Fellow Mango:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. Your insights are incredibly helpful. We are so happy to hear how positive your experience has been at Mango. Your distinction

Choose your side

I have been working at Mango Languages

Pros

I work with some really amazing, awesome people. The product is cool.

Cons

In reading this portion of my review, I am hoping that you too will have noticed the pattern of the reviews on this site. That is exactly how office life is here at Mango. You will be forced to pick a side. And you'd better pick wisely. There is a huge divide in the office. Those who management have been able to brainwash and those of us who see through the baloney. Granted, you can ride the fence the best you can, but you'll have a hard time in meetings and become very tired of the "who's side are you on" conversations coming from your manager.

I don't know what happened in this company before I came, but it seems like there is absolutely no trust. Management doesn't believe that anyone is capable of doing the jobs they were hired for and thinks we're out to get them. Why? The Tech seems to be fairly safe, but I think that's because upper management has no clue on how to do their jobs.

There is high turn over here. And don't take a manager role. If you are to believe what is said in the office, this fairly young company has had at least 6 Marketing Directors and 4 HR Directors. Sales people come and go like crazy.

I was not going to join the review battle being waged here, but given that in the midst of everything going on in the office, the owners have decided they have better things to do than run their company. They left it in the hands of very inexperienced, combative, and disruptive couple of people. The CEO has just taken a 3 month sabbatical, another owner is too wrapped up in moving up north, one simply angers every person he comes in contact with, and I'm really not sure what the last one does. So why not put my two cents in. They obviously don't care.

So join our little group if you choose. But be aware, it is nothing like the bill of goods you'll be sold at your interview. We are FAR from the happy little family they'll lead you to believe. Lots of offices allow you to dress casually and have a drink at work. This is not a reason to work here.

Dear Fellow Mango:

While it is troubling to read your review, I understand your perspective about there being “sides” within Mango. Any time there are challenges with trust, there will also likely

Great company, caring environment

Current Employee - Front-Line Employee
    Current Employee - Front-Line Employee

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mango has a highly entrepreneurial environment and it is quite different from other companies I worked for. On daily basis I face numerous challenges that involve speedy decision-making and lots of problem-solving in a team setting. I have been given opportunities to wear many hats throughout various quarters and as a result I acquired a lot of confidence in my abilities. The flexibility of working hours is great and the overall office culture has recently attracted a lot of great talent. I love my coworkers. If you are considering joining Mango, come and explore the company for yourself - no online review can fairly paint such amazing culture in a few words.

Cons

One person may be responsible for lots of different areas and it sometimes creates stress. If you love uncertainty and work well with highly experimental projects, you will do great at Mango. If you enjoy slow-paced environments and working on predictable and monotonous projects, this place may be too stressful for you. Mango expects full dedication and high-quality work.

Advice to Management

Plan more team-building activities to ensure everyone feels like a part of the team. Also, keep investing in great people who positively contribute to making Mango a better place. It seems some previous reviews talked very critically about the company leadership. I have a feeling many of these reviews were written by people from the same subgroup. Because people are so close at Mango (feels like a family environment), it is very hard for many to separate emotions from reality when their friends do not perform well and depart from the company. No workplace is perfect but I haven't really noticed any red flags from our leadership team. Everyone seems to love their jobs and trying to keep the company moving forward under very challenging business circumstances.