Mango Languages

Mango Languages Reviews

Updated December 12, 2014
Updated December 12, 2014

Jason Teshuba

Judge for yourself, but take note of the tone of the negative reviews

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Simply put, Mango is the best employer I have ever worked for. You are treated with respect and expectations for your attitude and performance are clearly laid out from day one. At no point are you ever discouraged from voicing your opinion--you may be asked to be cognizant of HOW you express your opinion, and once your opinion has been voiced and discussed, you will be asked to buy in to the final decision of the organization, whether that decision aligns with your opinion or not...but everyone is encouraged to be totally honest, and that standard is something that upheld throughout every level of the organization.

In reading some of the negative reviews posted recently, I noticed a common theme: blaming of company leadership for that employee's unhappiness. Regardless of where you work, you are ultimately responsible for you own happiness in that place of employment. A common theme in the Core Values at Mango is "personal responsibility"--this is not just lip service. If you are unhappy with your position (be that at Mango or anywhere else) it is incumbent upon you to take responsibility to take whatever steps are necessary to fix that issue. In most cases, that will mean being at least somewhat introspective and asking the question "what can I do to improve my situation, my performance, or my attitude?" If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then you will inevitably resort back to the blame game and look outwardly to project the source of your unhappiness on someone or something else. That action, however, is more of a reflection of a lack of personal and situational awareness than a reflection of an unhealthy work environment.

My experience at Mango has been inherently positive. The company culture is positive, friendly, and geared toward ensuring that everyone succeeds together (both on a personal and an organizational level). Our core purpose of enriching lives with language and culture is truly something that leadership believes in and exemplifies with its behavior and message. Our product helps people communicate with one another, despite geographic, cultural, social, and (obviously) linguistic barriers that might otherwise keep them apart. I sincerely feel that the work I do on a daily basis is helping to make a difference in the world by brining people together.

Prior to coming to Mango, I worked for a multi-national corporation and a large U.S. corporation, both of which were very highly respected companies in their fields. However, at no point in my previous employment did I ever feel that my work was sincerely profoundly affecting the people who purchased my company's products. At Mango, I have that feeling everyday. In addition, Mango makes coming to work enjoyable. People in the office actually smile, joke, and play all day long. We also work very hard towards a common goal. But we have fun while doing it.

Ultimately no review that you read on a website can capture what it is like to work at an employer. You need to make that determination for yourself based on the interactions you have with that employer. People who leave an employer and then vent their frustrations by casting broadly worded accusations and generalizations without specific examples to substantiate those claims on an anonymous website are probably not the best sources to trust in their reviews however. Mango, its culture, its people, and its core values and core purpose are exemplary. At least that is my own humble opinion.

Cons

This is not necessarily a con in my mind, but the environment is fast paced, and is based on the idea that Mango is always changing in an attempt to innovate and improve what we do as well as the services we offer. Innovation is a core value, and it is something the company continually strives to achieve. This creates an environment where people who are unwilling or unable to allow and account for change in their responsibilities, attitude, and behavior, will probably not succeed. If change frightens you, this is not the environment for you.

Continue to emphasize and promote your Core Values. They are noble, worthwhile, and ultimately will ensure that you have the right people in the right seats, as those who cannot or will not buy into the Values will be weeded out. Creating a more definitive and detailed vision for the future and how to continue growing is something that does need to be addressed sooner rather than later (i.e. what will be the next earth-shattering innovation that Mango will create that will disrupt the industry and ensure that Mango continues to grow and flourish?)

Great company, caring environment

Current Employee - Front-Line Employee
    Current Employee - Front-Line Employee

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mango has a highly entrepreneurial environment and it is quite different from other companies I worked for. On daily basis I face numerous challenges that involve speedy decision-making and lots of problem-solving in a team setting. I have been given opportunities to wear many hats throughout various quarters and as a result I acquired a lot of confidence in my abilities. The flexibility of working hours is great and the overall office culture has recently attracted a lot of great talent. I love my coworkers. If you are considering joining Mango, come and explore the company for yourself - no online review can fairly paint such amazing culture in a few words.

Cons

One person may be responsible for lots of different areas and it sometimes creates stress. If you love uncertainty and work well with highly experimental projects, you will do great at Mango. If you enjoy slow-paced environments and working on predictable and monotonous projects, this place may be too stressful for you. Mango expects full dedication and high-quality work.

Plan more team-building activities to ensure everyone feels like a part of the team. Also, keep investing in great people who positively contribute to making Mango a better place. It seems some previous reviews talked very critically about the company leadership. I have a feeling many of these reviews were written by people from the same subgroup. Because people are so close at Mango (feels like a family environment), it is very hard for many to separate emotions from reality when their friends do not perform well and depart from the company. No workplace is perfect but I haven't really noticed any red flags from our leadership team. Everyone seems to love their jobs and trying to keep the company moving forward under very challenging business circumstances.

Recent positive reviews are from the owners

Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beer on Fridays.
    Relaxed environment/dresscode.
    Good coworkers.
    Interesting field.
    Some managers are capable.
    Language clubs.
    Easy job

Cons

No direction
    Constant restructuring
    Cult like indoctrination of core values.
    Very little room for growth or development.
    Politics
    Ridiculous goals that have never once been met
    Leadership asks employees to write positive reviews
    50% turnover every year during my employment
    Inept leadership
    A frustrating dead end job

Face reality. You don't have to abandon what makes this place good. But, stop telling everyone how great it is every five minutes and listen to what is wrong and fix it. If it were perfect, you wouldn't have to tell them how great it is. Being realistic is not being negative.

A company that is making the world a better place!

Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mango for years and can say that we are currently at the best place we have ever been as a company and team. Each day we are becoming better and happier and look forward to becoming even greater in the future.

The primary thing that makes Mango so accomplished is the culture. Mango demands a certain type of person, one that takes ownership and accountability for taking the company to even greater heights. Through the years, I have witnessed how we have become better at recruiting the right people who share the vision and embody the core values of the organization.

Unfortunately, not all people that are hired are capable of rising to the challenge. It takes a certain type of visionary and unconventional person to thrive here. If you are not used to making things happen or can’t ask for help from your team, then you will not make it here. If you are used to the outdated management model that the typical corporate environment offers, then you will also not make it here. If you like to point fingers, be political, and so prideful that you feel an entitlement to things you don’t deserve, the culture (not management) will churn you out. On the other hand, if you are willing to work and collaborate with a talented group of your peers, push them to become better, and be open minded and humble enough to receive feedback from them in order to make you better, you will fit right in here.

I have read some of the comments posted on here and can’t believe what I am reading. It is the classic statement of, “it’s management fault for everything.” To someone like me, it’s clear as day that these people didn’t have what it takes and can’t look at their own shortcomings in order to try and improve them. Therefore, in order to protect themselves from the truth, they make excuses for their shortcomings by blaming others.

These negative comments had nothing to do with Mango products or services. Mango is doing the best it has ever done. Revenue is at an all time high. We are introducing more innovative products to our customers. Marketing has never been stronger. Our customer service can be admired even by the great companies of our time. I didn’t read any complaint that was customer or industry focused either. The only complaint I read is the abstract and unfounded jab of “management here is not good.” Talk about passing the buck and not taking personal responsibility.

Steve Jobs once said, “Heres to the crazy ones. The misfits. The trouble makers…the ones who see things differently.” That is Mango Languages. We are different in the business world. We will continue to be unique, and push the envelope in all areas of business. Obviously, those lacking the vision to see that Mango is trying to change the world will default to negativity. But I am confident that we will not change. We will continue to be open, compassionate, and to the right people, Mango will prove to be a refreshing alternative to a world of bureaucracy that all of us have experienced at some time in our lives. If you take entrepreneurship seriously and want to create things to make the world a better place, knowing that there will be failures along the way, then Mango is definitely the company for you.

Cons

You have to work extremely hard, especially in the beginning, to make an impact. Not everything is spoon fed to you, so if you are not used to this type of environment, it may prove to be difficult at times. But, there is always help if you need it.

Eight reasons why I love my job at Mango Languages.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

1. Last week, I said hello to the CEO as he was walking past my desk. He stopped, sat down, and spent 30 minutes talking to me in my native language.

2. On two separate occasions, I saw a need within the company, pitched a new position to leadership, and created my own role here. I had the freedom to create my own dream job.

3. We receive end of the year bonuses when we meet our sales goals (which we have every year since this program started).

4. Our office is creative, full of sunlight, covered in whiteboard painted walls, and bursting with energy. Without a cubical in sight.

5. Every day, I’m surrounded by people who hail from all corners of the globe, speaking all different languages, bringing all different experiences.

6. We have weekly language clubs to help us all learn new languages. They even hired professional teachers to come to our office and teach these clubs.

7. I’m wearing jeans at my desk right now.

8. Mango invests in its employees. Everything from sending us to conferences, paying for training and higher education, and even bringing classes to the office to make them easier to attend.

Cons

Everyone is held accountable for their work. There is nowhere to hide. If you do great work, it's not a con.

The recent negative reviews I’ve read here made me sad. But then I realized that they’re actually a good sign. A sign that we’re helping people who do not appreciate how great Mango is find places they will appreciate.

Good place to work if you want to explore your potentials

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Office culture is fun and open, co-workers are truly amazing

Cons

I've seen a couple of amazing people leaving this year.

Doesn't value their employees -- sees people as commodities

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

They have a cool office, and Fiesta Fridays are fun. Some people are awesome to work with, and librarians love the product. The technology is great. Being able to speak with co-workers in different languages is awesome.

Cons

Well, you get in there and at first everything is cool and fun and collaborative! COOL Fun place, right? They hand you a beer, you attend some neat Detroit-area events with your co-workers, you love the atmosphere and collaboration. But just when you think you'd like to maybe make a career out of this job, the dirty little secrets start to come out. Namely:

-If you sneeze wrong, you're fired.
    -If you breathe wrong, you're fired.
    -If you look at the COO wrong, you're fired.
    -If you WANT to look at the COO wrong, you're fired.
    -If you try to do your job the way you think it should be done, you're fired.
    -If you do your job better than your manager does his/hers, you're fired.
    -If you try to exert any expertise, knowledge, experience or opinion in your own work, you're fired.
    -If you have to go to the bathroom at the wrong time, or you're wearing a shirt they don't like, or you forgot to walk on the floor instead of eggshells, you're fired.
    -If you don't know how to play the game or drink the Kool-Aid, you're fired.

It's kinda like a weird time lapse movie. You sit at your desk while people come and go at warp speed. In and out, in and out. In and out. I don't even bother getting to know new faces anymore. Why would I? They'll be gone by next fall. In all seriousness, it's really tragic. We're all extremely frustrated by the constant interruption in momentum and the endless reorgs and floundering to find our footing again. Not to mention the atmosphere feels like a paranoid cemetery after another one bites the dust.

Some of the recent reviews (probably posted by management) say that the employees just couldn't cut it here and weren't made of the right stuff. But Mango has what, 50 people total??? So the 15 or so employees who got let go over the course of 2014 (or who managed to get out on their own terms before the hatchet fell) are all crap people? I find that hard to believe. Especially since most of them are now making way more and have bigger/better titles than when they were at Mango. I wonder... if they really WERE that awful... maybe Mango needs to do a better job of hiring?

Stop telling employees that integrity is one of your core values. It's not. At all. Whatsoever.
    Maybe fire the COO and see if that helps things? Why not? Firing is no big deal, right? Happens all the time. Go for it!
    One company's trash is another company's treasure. The only ones really hurt by the ridiculous turnover rates are those of us employees still left here.

Used to be a great place

Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Farmington, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual dress
    Internships are mostly paid
    Good social environment for early 20s employees

Cons

Mgmt asking new employees to write glassdoor reviews due to negative review influx
    CEO writes reviews on here talking about how great he is
    Inexperienced owners
    Fitting in with the right people more important than good hard work
    Low pay
    Company product outdated
    All innovation comes from employees on floor never mgmt
    Mgmt wants puppets

Deflate egos (ceo walked around saying that he's humble and innovative. If you are humble you don't say so to the whole office) , so many of us good ones have left and current employees seeking employment elsewhere. Put more focus on business and less on office politics. Company had such good potential years ago when product was new. Stay clear of disagreeing with mgmt or you will be seen as "negative" even if your comments are professional and said from experience and knowledge. Had some good memories here but thankful to have moved on.

Very inexperienced company

Current Employee - Product Tech in Farmington, MI
    Current Employee - Product Tech in Farmington, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages (more than an year)

Pros

Language learning
    Fiesta fridays
    Aside from mgmt, great people

Cons

Mgmt asking brand new employees to write positive reviews on glassdoor to balance out truthful negative reviews on glassdoor

Mistrust of management
    Company fueled by interns
    Inadequate pay
    ceo never around or interested in employees
    very quick turnover
    Quickly changing company -- for the negative
    Each employee required to take essay test on company core values to determine if they can stay employed
    Not enough sales force to meet numbers

There are no true mentors at mango because all owners (except former art director owner) have no prior business or work experience.

mango is in need of a regime change. A side from a couple individuals on leadership team leadership is all about making people into puppets and anyone who expresses new ideas or challenges is let go. Mgmt says they want people to challenge and share new ideas but when employees do they are seen as negative and spoken to on the side and often let go. Very junior high type of environment with mgmt acting as a team of judgmental popular kids who decide which employees they want to keep around. Very unprofessional ceo only into himself and requires a lot of special attention.

Sad and fast decline.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Casual dress code.

Perceived unlimited time-off, but it isn't as they make it sound-so more of a negative. Only favored staff members, owners and programmers have true unlimited.

Peers (those you can trust anyway), free access to language learning, and if you like to party while working-it happens all the time there. Beer & 'other' substances used frequently.

Cons

Leadership lack of trust in several stellar employees who work hard and never acknowledged. Leadership also has select favorites that get away with anything-while others bust their butt to get the same perks and benefits as the favored ones.

It used to be a solid company with leadership who ran things using their brains, and cared about employee happiness and longevity. All of that changed with the new Integrator/COO, who has the owners wrapped tightly around her finger. Now company is run by high emotions, immature insecure reactions, and lack of knowledge and true business sense for sustainable and successful growth. She is nice-but is running the company into the ground. No one seems to be aware or care.

Owners and investors should get closer into daily operations and bypass COO and her lackies to truly understand all the problems and issues going on-before company goes completely down.