Mango Languages

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

Jason Teshuba

Great people, great environment that fosters growth and innovative thinking.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

These guys have it right. The company is full of talent, full of promise and full of great mentors. Unsure of why there would be anything other than 4 and 5 star reviews, I'm assuming it's because leadership does a good job of weeding out people with a negative mindset and attitude - leaving them to resort to fabricating lies in their resentful tantrum.

Since I've been here, I've had nothing but room to grow and plenty of resources offered to me whenever it's needed. I haven't even needed to ask because leadership is good at understanding what needs to be done and when. Everyone here is treated with respect and greeted with genuine smiles in the morning, and a high five before heading home. The culture is the best I've experienced in any office job I've ever had, benefits are great, time-off is unlimited and if you have to work from home on short notice, nobody has a problem with it.

I was given guidance and responsibility the second I was hired, and am gearing up for a great year with the company. I had the amazing opportunity to work closely with leadership very early on, and I can tell you that they work really well together. You can see why the co-owners are successful, each one exhibits a special quality that their counterpart may not have, but when they work together, it's like watching a well-oiled machine. These people work so hard it's admirable.

HR has been awesome, and every department from product development to sales to marketing is filled with extremely nice, very funny and TALENTED people. Super thankful for the time I've spent here and the experience I've been given. They've given me more than what I'd asked for. It was a great experience, and continues to be a great experience well into the year.

Cons

I've yet to run into something that's a legitimate issue.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Judge for yourself, but take note of the tone of the negative reviews

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

Simply put, Mango is the best employer I have ever worked for. You are treated with respect and expectations for your attitude and performance are clearly laid out from day one. At no point are you ever discouraged from voicing your opinion--you may be asked to be cognizant of HOW you express your opinion, and once your opinion has been voiced and discussed, you will be asked to buy in to the final decision of the organization, whether that decision aligns with your opinion or not...but everyone is encouraged to be totally honest, and that standard is something that upheld throughout every level of the organization.

In reading some of the negative reviews posted recently, I noticed a common theme: blaming of company leadership for that employee's unhappiness. Regardless of where you work, you are ultimately responsible for you own happiness in that place of employment. A common theme in the Core Values at Mango is "personal responsibility"--this is not just lip service. If you are unhappy with your position (be that at Mango or anywhere else) it is incumbent upon you to take responsibility to take whatever steps are necessary to fix that issue. In most cases, that will mean being at least somewhat introspective and asking the question "what can I do to improve my situation, my performance, or my attitude?" If you are unable or unwilling to do this, then you will inevitably resort back to the blame game and look outwardly to project the source of your unhappiness on someone or something else. That action, however, is more of a reflection of a lack of personal and situational awareness than a reflection of an unhealthy work environment.

My experience at Mango has been inherently positive. The company culture is positive, friendly, and geared toward ensuring that everyone succeeds together (both on a personal and an organizational level). Our core purpose of enriching lives with language and culture is truly something that leadership believes in and exemplifies with its behavior and message. Our product helps people communicate with one another, despite geographic, cultural, social, and (obviously) linguistic barriers that might otherwise keep them apart. I sincerely feel that the work I do on a daily basis is helping to make a difference in the world by brining people together.

Prior to coming to Mango, I worked for a multi-national corporation and a large U.S. corporation, both of which were very highly respected companies in their fields. However, at no point in my previous employment did I ever feel that my work was sincerely profoundly affecting the people who purchased my company's products. At Mango, I have that feeling everyday. In addition, Mango makes coming to work enjoyable. People in the office actually smile, joke, and play all day long. We also work very hard towards a common goal. But we have fun while doing it.

Ultimately no review that you read on a website can capture what it is like to work at an employer. You need to make that determination for yourself based on the interactions you have with that employer. People who leave an employer and then vent their frustrations by casting broadly worded accusations and generalizations without specific examples to substantiate those claims on an anonymous website are probably not the best sources to trust in their reviews however. Mango, its culture, its people, and its core values and core purpose are exemplary. At least that is my own humble opinion.

Cons

This is not necessarily a con in my mind, but the environment is fast paced, and is based on the idea that Mango is always changing in an attempt to innovate and improve what we do as well as the services we offer. Innovation is a core value, and it is something the company continually strives to achieve. This creates an environment where people who are unwilling or unable to allow and account for change in their responsibilities, attitude, and behavior, will probably not succeed. If change frightens you, this is not the environment for you.

Continue to emphasize and promote your Core Values. They are noble, worthwhile, and ultimately will ensure that you have the right people in the right seats, as those who cannot or will not buy into the Values will be weeded out. Creating a more definitive and detailed vision for the future and how to continue growing is something that does need to be addressed sooner rather than later (i.e. what will be the next earth-shattering innovation that Mango will create that will disrupt the industry and ensure that Mango continues to grow and flourish?)

This was once a great place to work, A LONG TIME AGO.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here for a long time, and can pretty much fly under the radar. My co workers rock!

Cons

As I said in my comment above, I'm flying under the radar....for now. I've seen some great leaders and staff either get fired or leave on their own in 2014. Then, our current leadership talks about them to everyone after they're gone. Why they got fired or left, how they were bad at their jobs, I've even seen some write some really nasty things about good staff that left on their own. Sorry, but I see a huge HR red flag here. This is what is really starting to concern me. What direction is this company taking? All of the back stabbing and negativity in the office and leadership is incapable of recognizing it starts with them. You never know if you're going to be next.

I've read ALL of the reviews, and truly believe management is behind most (if not all) of the "this place is the best!" reviews. We are asked to read and live too many different books over the years. I can spot them a mile away. I've got my ear pretty well on the ground around here, and no one thinks this is the heaven on earth made out in the "great" reviews. Everyone is scared to speak up because we've seen what happens to those that do. It's not because these people "didn't fit the culture" or "didn't want to put in the work", it's because they took the honesty core value to heart. They spoke up. Pointed out things that are wrong. And in the end. They are no longer here.

We have our companies core values on the wall. We've all been subjected to the 3 hour test to be sure we fit. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to fit if this is the direction we're heading. It's sad. Truly sad. I used to love working here. I was happy every day coming to the office. Now, I wake up with dread in my heart and head.

Take a good hard look at what has changed over the past 12 months. Why is this no longer a great place to be? Stop believing your own hype and see what is written here. We are going to lose even more great people if this continues.

Great company, caring environment

Current Employee - Front-Line Employee
    Current Employee - Front-Line Employee

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mango has a highly entrepreneurial environment and it is quite different from other companies I worked for. On daily basis I face numerous challenges that involve speedy decision-making and lots of problem-solving in a team setting. I have been given opportunities to wear many hats throughout various quarters and as a result I acquired a lot of confidence in my abilities. The flexibility of working hours is great and the overall office culture has recently attracted a lot of great talent. I love my coworkers. If you are considering joining Mango, come and explore the company for yourself - no online review can fairly paint such amazing culture in a few words.

Cons

One person may be responsible for lots of different areas and it sometimes creates stress. If you love uncertainty and work well with highly experimental projects, you will do great at Mango. If you enjoy slow-paced environments and working on predictable and monotonous projects, this place may be too stressful for you. Mango expects full dedication and high-quality work.

Plan more team-building activities to ensure everyone feels like a part of the team. Also, keep investing in great people who positively contribute to making Mango a better place. It seems some previous reviews talked very critically about the company leadership. I have a feeling many of these reviews were written by people from the same subgroup. Because people are so close at Mango (feels like a family environment), it is very hard for many to separate emotions from reality when their friends do not perform well and depart from the company. No workplace is perfect but I haven't really noticed any red flags from our leadership team. Everyone seems to love their jobs and trying to keep the company moving forward under very challenging business circumstances.

Rotten to the Core (values)

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Foreign languages are fun. Lots of cool people in non-leadership roles. You can write on the wall.

Cons

Where to begin... how about Mango's core values, the most pathetic excuse for enabling passive-aggressive behavior I have ever seen. Beginning any sentence with 'Totally honest, totally kind, but..." is carte blanche to throw teamwork, ethics and communication out the window. Don't like someone's response to your feedback? Just let them know that they are not 'showing a positive attitude and taking personal responsibility to create a healthy work environment.' If someone is still resistant, go ahead and bring out the cherry on the core values sundae- just tell them they need to 'believe or leave.' If you haven't lost your appetite just yet, ask about the 4 hour written core values exam that all employees are required to take in their first 90 days.

We can't skip over the elephant in the room- morale and turnover. Mango had a 50% turnover rate in 2014 (nope- not a typo, kids!) If you haven't noticed already, there's a bonafide WAR here on Glassdoor. More reviews have gone up in the past few months than the company's first few years! Just take a look at the company analytics- it's data, folks. Every time a negative review (such as this) is posted, it's just a matter of days before a glowing one appears. Rumor has it the owners and leadership are doing it. At the end of the day, does it real matter? Clearly something is amiss here with a turnover percentage that high. The reviews speak for themselves. maybe you would fit in and like it at Mango. Maybe they did just happen to have a bunch of folks who were not a core values/culture fit for the organization. But half the company? With almost all the people who left leaving for better career options? How bad can they all be? Maybe it's the hiring process? No, that can't be it as the person who is responsible for the culture fit interview (COO) also makes all the firing decisions. If you can think for yourself, have ideas and subject matter knowledge or don't align yourself to her, you are the next fuel source for her power trip and get ready to be blasted into outer space far away from the Mango Grove.

Let's not forget the weekly HR survey (which coincidentally, HR has no power over). Each week you are asked to fill out a survey indicating your 'happy' score. If you don't appear to be happy enough, you will be the lucky recipient of a 'chat' with the COO or your manager. How do they know to chat with you, you might ask? It's not an anonymous survey, that's why! At Mango you own your words. There is no room for people who desire to make anonymous comments or suggestions. It doesn't stop there- your score and comments are then shared at the weekly leadership team meeting, which is basically the beginning of the end for you- the Mango mafia kiss of death.

The company makes a great product. I was so excited to join the organization when I did, but that quickly dissipated. It is sad to see what a truly corrupt state of affairs exist there now. If you are considering joining the 'grove' suggest you take a good, hard look at ALL of the comments here. And then run like hell.

But that's just me being totally honest and totally kind.

Open your eyes. Take your company back. The person you placed your faith in to run the organization is running it alright- straight into the ground. No healthy organization has a 50% turnover rate in one year, especially one that did not experience layoffs. The problem isn't everyone else.
    For the love of all things holy, bring back someone who has a real HR background. The unethical (and often illegal) comments and practices made by management are frightening.

Choose your side

I have been working at Mango Languages

Pros

I work with some really amazing, awesome people. The product is cool.

Cons

In reading this portion of my review, I am hoping that you too will have noticed the pattern of the reviews on this site. That is exactly how office life is here at Mango. You will be forced to pick a side. And you'd better pick wisely. There is a huge divide in the office. Those who management have been able to brainwash and those of us who see through the baloney. Granted, you can ride the fence the best you can, but you'll have a hard time in meetings and become very tired of the "who's side are you on" conversations coming from your manager.

I don't know what happened in this company before I came, but it seems like there is absolutely no trust. Management doesn't believe that anyone is capable of doing the jobs they were hired for and thinks we're out to get them. Why? The Tech seems to be fairly safe, but I think that's because upper management has no clue on how to do their jobs.

There is high turn over here. And don't take a manager role. If you are to believe what is said in the office, this fairly young company has had at least 6 Marketing Directors and 4 HR Directors. Sales people come and go like crazy.

I was not going to join the review battle being waged here, but given that in the midst of everything going on in the office, the owners have decided they have better things to do than run their company. They left it in the hands of very inexperienced, combative, and disruptive couple of people. The CEO has just taken a 3 month sabbatical, another owner is too wrapped up in moving up north, one simply angers every person he comes in contact with, and I'm really not sure what the last one does. So why not put my two cents in. They obviously don't care.

So join our little group if you choose. But be aware, it is nothing like the bill of goods you'll be sold at your interview. We are FAR from the happy little family they'll lead you to believe. Lots of offices allow you to dress casually and have a drink at work. This is not a reason to work here.

Not what it seems

Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Language clubs, casual work clothes, offers health insurance and 401k program, employees able to drink in office at any time

Cons

Leadership uses company's core values against employees, employees often told to leave if they can't embrace a "positive attitude" to leave, leadership refuses to accept responsibility of toxic company culture, employees often reprimanded if weekly survey score is filled out in less than enthusiastic way, employees are asked to write reviews on glassdoor, very loud and disruptive work environment especially to sales staff who needs to be on the phone, open office layout creates constant interruptions, leadership plays favorites, owners have major lack of experience and business intelligence, management has zero market research or insight and creates projects on whims wasting time and resources rather than communicating with customers and providing what they ask for, all departments aside from tech are given little to no budget (tech is still greatly underfunded), good smart people let go left and right

First off, as an employee who has been at the company for less than a year I believe it says so much that anytime a negative review is expressed on glassdoor, someone from leadership creates a five star review saying that negative reviews are written by employees 'refusing to take personal responsibility' (theres that term again!) Owners quote business books they read like scripture and base the company on these books their entrepreneurial friends wrote instead of coming out and taking action to bring the team together and creating with their own ideas. That's the thing. They don't have enough business experience and management intel to have their own ideas. How easy it is for them to hide behind core values and books like Traction and Lean Startup instead of manning up. One owner always says "Why should I be the one to make a change? That's your job." and this sounds great but the fact is we employees do and we try but what do they do in return? Nothing but keep their noses in the air. Plus all the backward reorgs and quartly goals and implementation of company culture comes from leadership. The rest of us have to keep smiling and nodding or else. They would rather sit in their offices and play on the internet and practice languages than work. That's what separates leadership and the employees. There is a BIG disconnect and no amount of beer or wine and fiesta Fridays they provide can hide it. Mango looks great from a distance but after a few months, new employees begin to see the light. We've had some great HR employees who have strived to make a change, but they were in the end powerless and controlled by the CEO and COO and fired. Most of all if you challenge a manager or suggest new ideas that may contrast theirs, you will be let go. Job security does not exist at Mango. Managers are inexperienced and easily threatened. Sales turnover is faster than anywhere else I've seen and employees are constantly having to send out emails telling librarians and customers "Hi. i'm your new account manager." It's embarassing. If you are considering a job here at messy Mango, keep searching. There are better, more appreciative and professionally organized places. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors. Mark my word, in less than a week there will another review up from leadership rebuttling everything I said. It's like a game.

Recent positive reviews are from the owners

Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Mango Languages full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beer on Fridays.
    Relaxed environment/dresscode.
    Good coworkers.
    Interesting field.
    Some managers are capable.
    Language clubs.
    Easy job

Cons

No direction
    Constant restructuring
    Cult like indoctrination of core values.
    Very little room for growth or development.
    Politics
    Ridiculous goals that have never once been met
    Leadership asks employees to write positive reviews
    50% turnover every year during my employment
    Inept leadership
    A frustrating dead end job

Face reality. You don't have to abandon what makes this place good. But, stop telling everyone how great it is every five minutes and listen to what is wrong and fix it. If it were perfect, you wouldn't have to tell them how great it is. Being realistic is not being negative.

A company that is making the world a better place!

Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mango for years and can say that we are currently at the best place we have ever been as a company and team. Each day we are becoming better and happier and look forward to becoming even greater in the future.

The primary thing that makes Mango so accomplished is the culture. Mango demands a certain type of person, one that takes ownership and accountability for taking the company to even greater heights. Through the years, I have witnessed how we have become better at recruiting the right people who share the vision and embody the core values of the organization.

Unfortunately, not all people that are hired are capable of rising to the challenge. It takes a certain type of visionary and unconventional person to thrive here. If you are not used to making things happen or can’t ask for help from your team, then you will not make it here. If you are used to the outdated management model that the typical corporate environment offers, then you will also not make it here. If you like to point fingers, be political, and so prideful that you feel an entitlement to things you don’t deserve, the culture (not management) will churn you out. On the other hand, if you are willing to work and collaborate with a talented group of your peers, push them to become better, and be open minded and humble enough to receive feedback from them in order to make you better, you will fit right in here.

I have read some of the comments posted on here and can’t believe what I am reading. It is the classic statement of, “it’s management fault for everything.” To someone like me, it’s clear as day that these people didn’t have what it takes and can’t look at their own shortcomings in order to try and improve them. Therefore, in order to protect themselves from the truth, they make excuses for their shortcomings by blaming others.

These negative comments had nothing to do with Mango products or services. Mango is doing the best it has ever done. Revenue is at an all time high. We are introducing more innovative products to our customers. Marketing has never been stronger. Our customer service can be admired even by the great companies of our time. I didn’t read any complaint that was customer or industry focused either. The only complaint I read is the abstract and unfounded jab of “management here is not good.” Talk about passing the buck and not taking personal responsibility.

Steve Jobs once said, “Heres to the crazy ones. The misfits. The trouble makers…the ones who see things differently.” That is Mango Languages. We are different in the business world. We will continue to be unique, and push the envelope in all areas of business. Obviously, those lacking the vision to see that Mango is trying to change the world will default to negativity. But I am confident that we will not change. We will continue to be open, compassionate, and to the right people, Mango will prove to be a refreshing alternative to a world of bureaucracy that all of us have experienced at some time in our lives. If you take entrepreneurship seriously and want to create things to make the world a better place, knowing that there will be failures along the way, then Mango is definitely the company for you.

Cons

You have to work extremely hard, especially in the beginning, to make an impact. Not everything is spoon fed to you, so if you are not used to this type of environment, it may prove to be difficult at times. But, there is always help if you need it.

Eight reasons why I love my job at Mango Languages.

I have been working at Mango Languages full-time

Pros

1. Last week, I said hello to the CEO as he was walking past my desk. He stopped, sat down, and spent 30 minutes talking to me in my native language.

2. On two separate occasions, I saw a need within the company, pitched a new position to leadership, and created my own role here. I had the freedom to create my own dream job.

3. We receive end of the year bonuses when we meet our sales goals (which we have every year since this program started).

4. Our office is creative, full of sunlight, covered in whiteboard painted walls, and bursting with energy. Without a cubical in sight.

5. Every day, I’m surrounded by people who hail from all corners of the globe, speaking all different languages, bringing all different experiences.

6. We have weekly language clubs to help us all learn new languages. They even hired professional teachers to come to our office and teach these clubs.

7. I’m wearing jeans at my desk right now.

8. Mango invests in its employees. Everything from sending us to conferences, paying for training and higher education, and even bringing classes to the office to make them easier to attend.

Cons

Everyone is held accountable for their work. There is nowhere to hide. If you do great work, it's not a con.

The recent negative reviews I’ve read here made me sad. But then I realized that they’re actually a good sign. A sign that we’re helping people who do not appreciate how great Mango is find places they will appreciate.