Manhattan Beer Distributors

Simon Bergson

Good Sales Experience, Fun Environment

Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Manhattan Beer Distributors full-time for more than a year

ProsAfter reading some of the reviews on here, it almost seems like I was working for a totally different company. The pay is pretty good...if you get a good territory. I was selling directly to bars and restaurants in a trendy area so I made pretty good money and I got to meet a lot of really cool people. One of the reasons I took this job was because of my interview with my Sales Manager, who I got along with great. My Sales Supervisor was really great as well, down to earth, very helpful and fun to hang out with and joke with. My colleagues were a lot of fun too. The BENEFITS of this job were awesome. Full dental and medical with great coverage at a VERY LOW price to the employee. My colleague had a baby while I was there and didnt pay a dime. Also, every so often the supplier reps buy your lunch and/or give you free beer to sample and give out. I actually really loved this job, to be honest. It is something new every day and you get out of the office and get to see the city and meet a lot of people. Also, you get excellent sales experience in the meantime.

ConsIf you arent going to be working in a good area of town, it could be difficult. You have to pay for your own gas, but the routes are generally not that big anyway and they give you a car stipend as part of your paycheck. The majority of the bonuses are generally unattainable and the supplier promotions for trips or large bonus checks always go to the On-Premise Supervisors (who generally are overpaid and underworked) OR they always go to the same person because that person has more accounts or a higher volume customer base. Dealing with very rude owners and GMs at bars or stores is a hassle also, but generally only makes up about 5% of your client base. 7AM meetings once a week are a pain, but they are necessary and you quickly get used to them. This is a sales job and you will be working in the alcohol industry, so the occasional work on the weekend should be expected, but its not that often. Also, the hours might not be for everyone. If you work off-premise in stores and bodegas, expect to work from about 8am to 4pm. If you work on-premise in bars and restaurants, expect to work from about 11am to 6 or 7pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the structure and payments for on-premise supervisors. Make the bonuses more attainable.

Building a wall that no one can climb.

I worked at Manhattan Beer Distributors full-time

ProsA good reason why one would work at Manhattan beer would be the fact that you work 4 days a week. Un spoken truth about everyone just going home after the pointless sales meetings on Friday. The meetings are pointless, because who wants to listen about a product that isn't going to move one along with the 100 brands that they take on that mostly do the same. Another pro would be if you do work you can make it anywhere from a 2 hour work day to 4 hour work day. Lets face it most people in that company don't work past 1pm. Another pro would be getting a lot of free beer and free lunches from supplier partners you work with. You can also nap in your car or local cafe after eating lunch and then head home. Other than that there are no pros for this company. Your a pion or worker bee for management and you make them more money not your self mostly. You have a low salary no compensation for driving your own car and mostly have a horrible boss. The GSM who runs the branch is mostly no different than you are they can just speak in front of a lot of people. You can alos try to win supplier trips to other countries or states all expenses paid for. Those trips are hard to find and get. Along with that you can build relations with the suppliers and try to get on their side of the business and possibly make more money. All and all there is no real list of pros. Although you can take the title and criteria for the job and use it on your resume to get your next job.

ConsWell I started to say some cons in my last paragraph. All in all the point I am trying to make is stay away if you were told this is a good company. If your a person who needs a job take it they do have health benefits, but on the contrary look for a good job while working. Back to cons: Well driving your own personal vehicle and making no money, but a lot of money for the company is a major con. Your going to work for a mostly uneducated boss who either A. never went to college or B. Has a rich fiancee or wife and doesn't really need to have a good job. You don't learn much about anything in this job just a lot about D*** measuring through the management and how to ruin your wallet and car and a few new beers coming to the market that won't make it without proper cash to back them. You also learn about how your just a chess piece in their game they don't let anyone short of a sales manager know the real truth about what they think of you and where they are going to move people. Figure this way you can be making a lot of money or decent money in one place and maybe a year goes by and they figure "hey this person and this person are making too much lets screw them and move them". This is kind of like pinky and the brain decisions for those who don't know that was a show about two lab mice trying to take over the world. When you go to a sales meeting on a Friday morning or what ever day they drag you in you feel like your in a frat house or a high school class. On the other hand if you like buying cars and running out of money come work for this company. You will never move up unless you know someone from 10 years ago before the job or if you have some sort of social attraction to the person who is promoting you. They don't promote anyone on basic principle of good work its all about the saying "who you know and who you blow." Trust me there is some of that going on if you know what I mean. Put it this way like I said before most of those people don't know how to fry an egg, which means they don't know anything about management or about beer. I can go on for ever I have been in a few branches and seen all of them but not worked in all of them. What I am saying is I know 85% of the people who work for the company and they all pretty much are the same level of management or thinking. They all sit at home or office for 90% of the day and act like they work when in fact the heart and soul is supposed to be out there working but they don't want to (sales reps). Like I said this company builds a wall that no one can climb.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement there is none. Word to the wise people who read this site and use it to there advantage. You need to hire a consultant to tell each GSM how to run the business and fire the useless people who work under you and collect 6 figure salaries or close. Not everyone is useless but most of them are. You will never go anywhere with your business if you have people who make decisions that keep secrets from the people who actually run the business (sales reps). If you want to grow you need to do this and not trust people who have worked in their spots for a while and are comfortable. Also instead of creating new divisions all the time why don't you save money and just hire more lower paying jobs like merchandisers to deviate time and work load from the sales reps. Eventually I believe the sales reps should create and union to work there. The smart sales reps leave and week ones stay just remember that I am NOT Michael Douglas.

worked at Manhattan Beer for 10 years, very dissatisfied with the managing of the company.

Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome hours are flexable, some empyoyees are cool to work with.

ConsLong hours working with little compensation or over time pay. most lower paying employess are underpaid and overworked with little room for promotions. a review is given yearly without a raise of pay for years. lots of kiss asses to management. managers hire their entire family to work for the company regardless of experience or knowledge to the job.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement sucks!!! they need to realise that employees are adults and not children and should be treated as such!! They need to thrust and respect their workers. most employees are afraid to view honest opinions because they are afraid they will lose their jobs. most managers need to be trained in all aspect of the job.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Please be very careful and think twice before taking this job!!!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors full-time for more than a year

Pros~ You can work 2 - 3 hours a day (As long as your supervisors trust you and you are good at getting away with it).
~ You make your own hours once you get to know your route and you get better at the job.
~ You get to work on your own and be outside all day which is definitely nice in the summer time.
~ Opportunity to build some great relationships with your accounts. Even though some of your accounts will not be so pleasant to deal with.(back to pros!) -->
~ Your not stuck in some office all day looking out the window with some good for nothing manager breathing down your neck.
~ You never have to work holidays.(The company will expect you to work but no one really does)
~ Weekends off.(Sometimes they will expect you to work on Sunday but its rare. Again no one really does)
~If you build good relationships you can get free lunches and a discount on your bill when you hangout at the account at night with some buddies. *Make sure you go to chain restaurants because the managers will not care discounting your bill or even better making it disappear!!
~ Lots of time to be outside and get a nice tan. If your not busy in the summer time you can head to the beach by noon time and relax by the ocean.
~ You get to go to beer fests for free and work the events if you volunteer to do so. They can be a lot of fun!
~ Lots of free time to yourself to do whatever you like. While working on the route : )
~ The whole day can feel like one big lunch break.

ConsThis is really the reason why I decided to write this review...
~ You are required to use you own car and pay for your own gas to do your job! (They do pay you a "car allowance" per week but its really part of your base salary.
~ They do not reimburse you for anything.
~ The sales reps are treated like an expendable commodity rather than part of the company. You have to kiss a lot of butt to get ahead.
~ Your are required to do a lot for very little compensation.
~ Very low base salary**
~ The company raises the prices of beer according to the market but fails to raise commissions.
~ You can work hard and end up making less money.
~ Very hard to move up in the company. You have to kiss up to the right people.
~ If you work the hours they expect you to work then you will be going though a lot of gas (which they will not pay for) and you end up putting a ton of miles on your car.(which they don't compensate you for)
~ Lots of favoritism in the company.
~ Most of the supervisors in general don't do much of anything and they get a company car and gas paid for by the company. Seems to me money is going to the wrong places and the wrong people.
~ Way too much compensation is dedicated for the higher up management/supervisors and not enough makes it down to the sales reps.
~ The company likes keep around and reward lazy good for nothing supervisors and doesn't seem to care if they lose good sales reps.
~ You have to deal with difficult bar owners that forget to pay their bills and blame you and the company for it. This is a constant battle!
~ Anything that goes wrong the accounts you can be held responsible. Just because its your account and someone needs to be held responsible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your sales reps better!! Paying the sales force more money to keep people in their routes and happy is much more important than just paying them a very low base salary and low commissions and having people leaving the company on a constant basis. I believe the company would run a lot better if they compensated their sales reps better. Having a rep quit his job after a number of years hurts the company in the long run because they are breaking all the relationships that the rep built up over the years.

Fun at first, monotonous as it goes along

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Great staff
-Great bosses
-You sell beer

Cons- Dealing with difficult customers
- Pay structure is not great

Advice to Senior Management-Compensate your reps better

Proceed with caution.

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
Bronx, NY

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors

ProsThere are a lot of great hard working people at Manhattan Beer. Then there are also a lot of over-paid upper management types that are so far removed from reality and basically sit around and stroke their egos all day long. Too many chiefs and not enough indians is an understatement. Now you may get lucky and work on a great team BUT you may get stuck working for an overpaid loaf and get expected to do way too much for not enough compensation. Oh back to the Pros...You are not stuck in an office - you get to make a lot of great relationships with customers. We sell great brands. There is room for advancement if you kiss the right ass. Unfortunately too often people get promoted for all the wrong reasons. Managers promote their own even if it is undeserved.

ConsLet's just get straight to the cons since that is the direction I am mainly driving this train. Way too many people are in positions of high pay - let's say 125k to 200k - that do absolutely nothing. They sit behind a computer most of the day while us suckers are out there busting our butts selling beer - and getting stuff done. They are barely held accountable and basically work about 20 hours a week if you add it all up. My boss in particular is home quite often. I often wonder how he gets away with it - but his boss is not paying too close attention.

Next topic: Sales Reps - Although the heartbeat of the company - are treated like crap by upper management and expected to do more and more each day with very little compensation. Most of them are very unhappy and guess what guys - you get what you pay for! Wake up and smell the coffee!

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe if the upper upper management truly knew what was going on - that they would be disgusted and heads would roll.

You need to make sure ALL are accountable - too many people are submitting BS reports. Dig a little deeper to see who is doing what where - are certain people doing to much? too little?

People are in great need of help in areas and are not given the tools to do there job to 100% performance.

Maybe Billy could have a confidential one on one with anyone in management to hear the cold hard truth. Maybe a good old fashioned LOCKED suggestion box in each branch.

Company morale is down - and I know I know numbers are up - imagine how much more up we could be if folks were just a bit happier to go to work each day.

A bad 9 year marriage

Route Delivery Driver 11 Years Inventory Specialist I Year (Former Employee)
Suffern, NY

I worked at Manhattan Beer Distributors

ProsYour out of the warehouse on the road meeting customers your own boss on the road nobody looking over your shoulder. When the routes done you can go hone no matter how early.

Consmanagement seems like they dont trust there drivers. Seems like you take a day off you might be punished for it the day you come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrivers/helpers are union employees management claims if your a driver/helper you cannot expand into a management/supervisor posistion which is kind of bad because drivers do the whole job and they know how the company runs better than hiring soneone off the streets. I feel the suffern facility can be ran better i feel if simon knew the inside story whats going on it would be a better place to work.

Slow growing

Sales (Current Employee)
Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors

ProsThey teach you the fundamentals of the buisness. Have an excellent training structure, and leisure to get your job done.

ConsNever a raise, long hours, and pay scale is horrible. Make it vertually impossible to make more money with ridiculous sales goals and worthless general market programming. Oh Yeah, did I mention the pay isn't that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom salesrep to management the commission scale has to change. Need to get proper man power to help us lead to success in the field. Starting salaries must be higher and quality of people must follow. Practice what you preach with preperation and communication. Really need to be able to increase our salaries if we are building sale....seem to make the same money every year regaurdless of our company increase.

POOr vehicle maintaince and lack of safety regulations

Driver/Delivery (Current Employee)

I have been working at Manhattan Beer Distributors

ProsYour mainly your own boss and yourf responsible for money and actions thats your only benifit

Consthere is rarely any advancement when your a driver your a driver and thats it there's no climbing up the latter and company constantly attack drivers and charge for everything pallets and cases mistakenly given to customers for sales mistakes

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that employees are adults not children respect is due every moment

RUN AWAY

I worked at Manhattan Beer Distributors

Proswork 5 hours a week. Make average money. Sit in a bar all day and watch paint dry for fun.

ConsWorst sales team morale I have ever seen. No on likes their job. Driving to the Bronx for meetings on friday afternoons only to sit and watch incompetent GSM's try to figure out a projector.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbolish all On premise supervisors. Pay sales reps more and actually give them a feeling of accountability. "At the end of the day" no one working at MBD cares about the company. Which is sad.

Worked for Manhattan Beer Distributors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Manhattan Beer Distributors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Manhattan Beer Distributors CEO Simon Bergson. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Manhattan Beer Distributors employees.