Manhattan School of Music Reviews

3.5
Robert Sirota
1 Rating

1. Good experience as a doctoral teaching fellow

Former Employee - Doctoral Teaching Fellow; Tutoring Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Manhattan School of Music

Pros

I had the opportunity to teach aural skills and music theory classes for three years as a Doctor of Musical Arts teaching fellow in the theory department. Supervisor is very organized, students are generally talented and enthusiastic. I taught freshmen, sophomores, and grad students at various levels. Great teaching experience!

Cons

MSM's bureaucracy and operations can be rather wonky and outdated; i.e., lots of filling out lengthy forms for things that really should be done online. Pay is not great at this school, especially in light of the cost of living in NYC. Difficult to reserve or find practice rooms.

Advice to Management

Provide a more generous financial package for your doctoral students so that they do not have to take out extra loans or work side jobs to afford school. See above regarding the need for an effective online intrastructure for registering for classes, submitting grades, etc.

Not great

I have been working at Manhattan School of Music

Pros

great interaction with faculty and students

Cons

Terrible interaction with staff and management