Manifest Digital Reviews

3.4
Jason Benedict

1. Great culture and collaborative environment

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and collaborative environment

Cons

Agency culture of making clients happy by doing whatever whey ask for.

Advice to Management

Be brave

2. Leads with Vision, Differs in Practice

Former Employee - Art Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Art Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital

Pros

The company leadership is filed with visionary ideas and wants to sustain an attractive culture for designers; lots of "task-force" initiatives to involve employees who want to make a difference, good client work

Cons

The leadership is VERY removed from the actual day to day tasks of running a company. Little recognition from resources on the ground doing the actual work. Did not feel like my voice was heard on many occassions and the work suffered.

Advice to Management

Create a safe environment to air grievances; give employee incentive to stay and be agents of change

decent "agency"

I worked at Manifest Digital

Pros

free food in the offices
    cool space with nice labs
    good clients
    work life balance is great - only because people get lost in the cracks

Cons

founder is no longer there
    talk is cheap
    egos are HUGE

Cersei Lannister and Frank Underwood have a baby...

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like an environment where you literally play the game of thrones, you'll love this place.

If you value your head, you'll give this place a pass.

Cons

If GoT isn't your thing, think house of cards instead. It's a political minefield and you can't let doing good work distract you from the game. If you put your head down and focus on work, you'll randomly be pulled into a room and removed from an account for bad work performance. Of course, what really happened is some manager or director who is focusing on the game and not the work just back stabbed you and guess what, you're the next Ned stark.

Also, to play the game you have to be a really, really good liar. The upper echelon of villains there are so good at it that they actually start to believe what they're telling each other.

You'll be promised bonuses and upward mobility, but in reality you just end up driven mad and a sky cell will look better than your desk.

Given the choice between manifest and the wall, choose the wall.

Advice to Management

The five star reviews you plant are super obvious because no one writing real reviews has anything positive to say, and all of your fake reviews have like 8 thumbs down.

clarify your mission statement

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time

Pros

Manifest is great with work-life balance, with a reasonable vacation policy and opportunities to work from home if needed. The people are smart and friendly, and they all want to be doing exciting things. In terms of the day-to-day experience, it's a really pleasant place to work.

Cons

Manifest has a lot of self-discovery to do as a company. Their goals are unclear, and even during company presentations about what plans are for the future, the employees are left scratching their heads. There is a lot of disconnect between Chicago and St. Louis, as well as the day to day lives of the employees and senior management. It often feels like management doesn't really have a clear idea of what the employee's experiences are like working with their clients, so some of the initiatives to ignite change feel unproductive and misguided. There also isn't much of a chance of mobility or growth, as you're usually stuck on one client for so long that it feels hard to stay engaged.

Advice to Management

You need to make your goals and mission statement extremely clear to yourself and your employers. Focus more on who you want Manifest to be and start running the business accordingly. Do more extensive employee training and team building, so we all know what the common goal we're working toward is.

Good not great

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High quality people
    Challenging work
    Rapidly growing company

Cons

Long term Client engagements
    Lack of diverse Client assignments
    Limited focus on career advancement
    Lots of new faces, all the time

Advice to Management

I spent that last 2 years at manifest and witnessed a company completely transform in a very short period of time. There was a founder who wanted to save the world, who is now gone. There was a nervous Executive team that has now completely turned over, and a large group of negative employees that have slowly moved out the door. Now there seems to be a real company with a real plan that will either continue to grow or revert back to a small ux shop.

Very talented people working in a highly collaborative environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is great and fosters a collaborative environment! It's a work hard, play hard type of organization with flexibility to work from home on occasion. This allows for a lot of autonomy and shows that people trust each other to get the job done.

Everyone is incredibly smart and wants to share their knowledge with others. This is done through internal workshops and external presentations within the community. Everyone took me under their wing on my first day and each day since, even those not in my department. We also have a mentorship program which helps people develop in their career and seek out guidance from others, it's helped me through a lot of challenges I've faced. People genuinely cares about others and their development as a professional but also on a personal level.

The team is very invested in finding the best talent out there to fill open roles and tries to involve people at a variety of levels within the interview process. Technical skills are important but cultural fit is a huge factor when they interview candidates, they take it very seriously to make sure it's the right fit for the candidate and Manifest.

Senior leadership has been very transparent about where the company is at and where it is headed, which is a very positive direction!

Cons

There's some lack of process but it's definitely improving, everyone is willing to help with this and that says a lot.

Advice to Management

Make sure you get to know everyone within the organization. For the most part, they try to do this but I think it's extra important to keep this up!

Continue to be transparent, you've done a great job, it definitely helps and makes people feel good about the company we work for.

Manifest Digital Response

Apr 29, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is invaluable to our organization.

Not All that Glitters is Gold

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quality of clients was pretty impressive. I worked for some of the largest companies in the country as well as big names locally. People were generally good and seemed to be highly motivated. There would also be great conversations around the future of digital that were frequently enlightening and thought provoking.

Cons

Clients were under sold and over promised. It was terrible. From the moment the projects would begin we would have to juggle resources. There were never enough people to do what needed to be done.
    The technology capabilities were a joke. There were some really nice people in the tech group but our ability to actually deliver did not exist.
    The level of deception was like something out of the movies. Five minutes after promising a client something the team would be doing just the opposite.

Advice to Management

Management was too busy back stabbing each other to really create a culture that could be built upon.

Manifest Digital Response

Apr 28, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to consider your comments carefully.

Can't help but to laugh

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting to follow the chain of reviews...how does someone work at a company for 3 or 4 years as a current employee and say the company is so terrible. Seems like you should get a new job, if you are really an employee.

I have worked at Manifest for 2 years and the company is pretty similar to my last job. Lots of change, many new faces, a few bad clients, and a few good clients.

The biggest change is one of the founders is gone and for those that dream of changing the world your dreams went with that Founder. it is job, enjoy where you are of leave if you can.

Cons

This is a Digital Agency not General Electric.

Advice to Management

Things are much better now than they were 12 months ago. We will see if that improvement continues.

very challenging, I was a PM

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The early exposure to decision-makers at our clients' companies was surprising, in a good way. They placed a lot of trust in me. I got to meet and map-out these large-scale, huge impact client projects. The clients were really involved, almost like he was another one of my managers. I got pushed hard to perform, and I haven't seen that type of environment in other companies.

Cons

spreadsheet and billing procedures were my least favorite activity. They are a necessary evil. My favorite part of the day was talking with the client team at Manifest and the clients themselves.

Advice to Management

Require some type of formal PM training for new PMs. I had it, but some of the other people who joined after me didn't have it (and it showed).