Manifest Digital

Updated July 19, 2014

Jason Benedict

clarify your mission statement

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time

Pros

Manifest is great with work-life balance, with a reasonable vacation policy and opportunities to work from home if needed. The people are smart and friendly, and they all want to be doing exciting things. In terms of the day-to-day experience, it's a really pleasant place to work.

Cons

Manifest has a lot of self-discovery to do as a company. Their goals are unclear, and even during company presentations about what plans are for the future, the employees are left scratching their heads. There is a lot of disconnect between Chicago and St. Louis, as well as the day to day lives of the employees and senior management. It often feels like management doesn't really have a clear idea of what the employee's experiences are like working with their clients, so some of the initiatives to ignite change feel unproductive and misguided. There also isn't much of a chance of mobility or growth, as you're usually stuck on one client for so long that it feels hard to stay engaged.

You need to make your goals and mission statement extremely clear to yourself and your employers. Focus more on who you want Manifest to be and start running the business accordingly. Do more extensive employee training and team building, so we all know what the common goal we're working toward is.

Good not great

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High quality people
    Challenging work
    Rapidly growing company

Cons

Long term Client engagements
    Lack of diverse Client assignments
    Limited focus on career advancement
    Lots of new faces, all the time

I spent that last 2 years at manifest and witnessed a company completely transform in a very short period of time. There was a founder who wanted to save the world, who is now gone. There was a nervous Executive team that has now completely turned over, and a large group of negative employees that have slowly moved out the door. Now there seems to be a real company with a real plan that will either continue to grow or revert back to a small ux shop.

A company with big dreams, but little follow-through and poor management.

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at Manifest for two years, and met some wonderful folks that did great work in spite of the general organizational chaos.

Cons

During my time at the company, Manifest went from up and comer to company in trouble. The warning signs were always there--the company always seemed to be launching some organizational shake or new visionary plan. But ultimately there wasn't enough business savvy to keep up with the big dreams. After multiple rounds of layoffs and the departure of the original visionaries behind the company, I'm not sure what they have left.

Very talented people working in a highly collaborative environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is great and fosters a collaborative environment! It's a work hard, play hard type of organization with flexibility to work from home on occasion. This allows for a lot of autonomy and shows that people trust each other to get the job done.

Everyone is incredibly smart and wants to share their knowledge with others. This is done through internal workshops and external presentations within the community. Everyone took me under their wing on my first day and each day since, even those not in my department. We also have a mentorship program which helps people develop in their career and seek out guidance from others, it's helped me through a lot of challenges I've faced. People genuinely cares about others and their development as a professional but also on a personal level.

The team is very invested in finding the best talent out there to fill open roles and tries to involve people at a variety of levels within the interview process. Technical skills are important but cultural fit is a huge factor when they interview candidates, they take it very seriously to make sure it's the right fit for the candidate and Manifest.

Senior leadership has been very transparent about where the company is at and where it is headed, which is a very positive direction!

Cons

There's some lack of process but it's definitely improving, everyone is willing to help with this and that says a lot.

Make sure you get to know everyone within the organization. For the most part, they try to do this but I think it's extra important to keep this up!

Continue to be transparent, you've done a great job, it definitely helps and makes people feel good about the company we work for.

Manifest Digital Response

Apr 29, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is invaluable to our organization.

Not All that Glitters is Gold

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quality of clients was pretty impressive. I worked for some of the largest companies in the country as well as big names locally. People were generally good and seemed to be highly motivated. There would also be great conversations around the future of digital that were frequently enlightening and thought provoking.

Cons

Clients were under sold and over promised. It was terrible. From the moment the projects would begin we would have to juggle resources. There were never enough people to do what needed to be done.
    The technology capabilities were a joke. There were some really nice people in the tech group but our ability to actually deliver did not exist.
    The level of deception was like something out of the movies. Five minutes after promising a client something the team would be doing just the opposite.

Management was too busy back stabbing each other to really create a culture that could be built upon.

Manifest Digital Response

Apr 28, 2014Director of HR

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to consider your comments carefully.

Can't help but to laugh

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting to follow the chain of reviews...how does someone work at a company for 3 or 4 years as a current employee and say the company is so terrible. Seems like you should get a new job, if you are really an employee.

I have worked at Manifest for 2 years and the company is pretty similar to my last job. Lots of change, many new faces, a few bad clients, and a few good clients.

The biggest change is one of the founders is gone and for those that dream of changing the world your dreams went with that Founder. it is job, enjoy where you are of leave if you can.

Cons

This is a Digital Agency not General Electric.

Things are much better now than they were 12 months ago. We will see if that improvement continues.

Developer worked to the bone for little pay

I have been working at Manifest Digital

Pros

There used to be some great people there. They left.

Cons

Lots of lying to clients and employees. Lying about project scope. Lying about ability to complete a project.

Stop planting fake reviews. Again, lying.

very challenging, I was a PM

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The early exposure to decision-makers at our clients' companies was surprising, in a good way. They placed a lot of trust in me. I got to meet and map-out these large-scale, huge impact client projects. The clients were really involved, almost like he was another one of my managers. I got pushed hard to perform, and I haven't seen that type of environment in other companies.

Cons

spreadsheet and billing procedures were my least favorite activity. They are a necessary evil. My favorite part of the day was talking with the client team at Manifest and the clients themselves.

Require some type of formal PM training for new PMs. I had it, but some of the other people who joined after me didn't have it (and it showed).

I was an interaction designer who went from entry-level to expert because of an awesome mentor in the company

Former Employee - Interact Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interact Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1-My manager and my mentor were both extremely professional and very, very knowledgeable in what our clients wanted. They were like coaches in getting me to improve my skills. I've never experienced the depth of attention I got from them. 2- Got to really link what our clients wanted and what we delivered. For the biggest project I had, the client company had a very, very specific menu-related UI in mind. My manager and I designed the UI and we were a bit off. So my manager cleared our calendars for the rest of the day and we videoconferenced with our client and went back and forth until we got the client’s design expectation exactly right. I felt like I was being led by people who focused their complete attention on the client’s needs. And we got it right and the feeling of satisfaction was brilliant.

Cons

I personally had some ambitions regarding going after emerging industries. Unfortunately, my team's entire focus was on our current clients. I would have liked to see more time to brainstorm what we could do for possible youth-based clients in Thailand and Vietnam. But that was just a personal professional interest.

Keep the mentoring going. That was the most valuable thing I experienced as an employee. It might be easy to let it slip as the business landscape changes, but definitely keep it as a priority for new, younger employees.

Proud to be a Fester

Current Employee - Senior Digital Art Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Art Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've landed in a great spot. The level of expertise in this agency is flat out inspiring...

UX department = genius
         Dev team = savvy
         Business/Account Leadership = full of tough cookies
         PMs = must have secret super powers, keeping the cogs turning like they do

...which keeps us creatives constantly aiming to reach and raise the bar set by the rest of the staff.

Manifest Culture -- it's a big deal. There's a sense of acceptance and openness throughout the staff that makes it easy to challenge each other and the work without creating unhealthy friction. Even on days when I neglect to tweak a snarky reply before hitting that send button, no one has ever let things escalate into a bad case of office politics. We're stressed because we care about our projects so much. And thankfully that's the complete opposite of being stressed because you don't trust your colleagues.

Not to mention, we have dogs in the office. And beer. And group lunches. And friends. We have a lot of friends in the office.

Cons

We're a bit short staffed, so that can add to the stress. It gets exciting when everyone is wired and dropping Jessie Spano impressions all day...but it'd be nice for those days to be fewer and far between.

Keep up the transparency. It's a great morale boost to feel like the staff is in the know.

Keep encouraging us to express ourselves & our Manifest culture freely, because even if we have cream of the crop all under the same roof, we can't bet on healthy collaboration unless we all feel like we're at home in the office, among frolleagues (it's like a mashup of friends and colleagues, I made it up).

And keep paying for our beer (please).