Manley Deas Kochalski

2.9

Theodore K. Manley

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for MDK for a year and a half and the best part is the environment! There is a casual dress code where jeans are OK, free fitness center, company events, flex time, monthly cake, food trucks, free coffee and free parking. The benefits are amazing too and they contribute to your 401(k). It has a positive atmosphere with great people. Management and the partners really care about employees - you are definitely not just a number. The company is always looking for ways to improve and make things better. This is hands down the best place I have ever worked!

Cons

The industry has a lot of frequent change and it is really fast paced, but I am never bored at work.

Middle Management is Aweful

Former Employee - Closing Department in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Closing Department in Columbus, OH

I worked at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress and working schedule are the only pros to this company. No other perks or incentive to work for this firm.

Cons

Pay is low, management is very non communicative and training is terrible. In the closing department one of the managers is abusive and talks to her employees as if they are morons. I would hope at one point upper management would realize that they need to scrap middle management and start with fresh new managers that care about their employees.

Change up Middle management and offer employees decent managers that know their jobs and how to train.

MDK = Many Dreams Killed

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The positives of this job are that
    1) You are allowed to dress casually
    2) Most of your co-workers are educated and fun
    3) It is a real job

Cons

Do you want to take houses away from poor people while simultaneously being paid like one?
    Do you want to work for managers that cannot do your job, and/or are terrible at acknowledging your existence?
    Do you want to spend 1/3 of your days miserable? Do you like toxic work environments?
    Do you like public shaming of the one time do you something wrong, while getting no recognition for the 99 times you do something right?
    Do you like working with very little feedback, and no positive feedback?
    Do you like not being able to tell your manager anything about their job performance without being labeled a malcontent?
    If you answered yes to all of these, and are a college graduate, and want to make 13.00/hr, then do I have the job for you!
    While employed at MDK, I worked with some pretty cool co-workers. Most of the people that work there are straight out of college and are eager to work, even for terrible pay.
    The problem is that the people leading these co-workers are terrible at their jobs, and have been with the company so long, that they get little to no pushback. They are not receptive to feedback. They only want to deal with "yes, men". If you dare to tell them that something they have said is not feasible, or is plainly incorrect, they are quick to label you a malcontent.
    My manager didn't even say "Hi", or "Good Morning", even if I said these things to her first. She didn't ask about anything going on in your life. She really made it obvious that she didn't care at all about her employees.
    Also, because the managers have been there so long, in some departments there is no chance of upward mobility.
    Almost everyone I worked with had something negative to say about this place, but could not afford to leave. Until they fix the situations with the managers (very unlikely), the morale in that company will always be terrible.
    It is a shame to see so many talented, intelligent people working in an environment like that. I would not recommend working in this place, unless you have no place else to go.

Start over. Get new managers, or put your current managers through training on how to effectively lead.

Care is about the amount done, not done properly

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A laid back environment; young and fun crowd of people to work around; the job is ridiculously easy

Cons

Leadership is lackluster to say the least. Not the most intelligent people who are leading, especially in the middle-management roles. If they really cared about the long-term money would be spent hiring/paying for a higher quality workforce. Instead, money is held for the managing partners' profit (attorneys cannot make partner...)

Great Benefits, Great Culture, Great Company

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Grandview Heights, OH

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The partners and management really care about employees. They offer FANTASTIC benefits and perks (minimal cost to employees for healthcare coverage, flexible schedules, free access to fitness center, free personal training classes, relaxed atmosphere, casual dress code, etc.) Good pay for those willing to work hard for it. Great use of technology. Senior management is open and available to staff.

Cons

Nature of the work can be VERY stressful- fast paced, changes all the time, lots of liability, high demands from clients. (But this can all be attributed to the industry and not necessarily anything the company can control- just a part of the job.)

Keep up the good work and maintain the great environment you've created! Truly one of the most generous and impressive companies I have ever heard of, let alone had the pleasure to work for.

Fine for a short-term job

I worked at Manley Deas Kochalski

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work hours, nice modern office. When I was there, the company held lots of little events to show employee appreciation.

Cons

Low pay, constant changes due to the industry make it challenging to find "your place." They will find any reason to lower your wage.

Communicate with your team members regularly.

Good experience. Great co-workers. HR/Management needs work.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Columbus, OH

I worked at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I made a lot of great friends across the company. The ability to flex time for appointments and personal matters was nice. Decent desk set ups. Pretty cool proprietary case management software that is supported by in house IT. Casual dress code is very nice--jeans!

Cons

"Legal Assistants" can be anyone with a bachelor's degree. "Paralegals" are hired with a paralegal degree. They don't tell you that there are levels, ie Legal Asst. 1/2/3/4; Paralegal 1/2, etc. Benefits are offered but it doesn't offset the lower than average wages for people who are all educated and intelligent. Odd experience working in a law firm that is run more like a corporate office. HR doesn't seem to really understand what actual paralegals do.

Good Entry-Level Experience

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual dress code, experienced (and some non-experienced) workers are fantastic, attorneys are extremely accessible and easy to work with

Cons

Creditors' rights isn't a career, sadly. Also, management has been focusing more on the negatives than the positives even though the employees work hard daily; the pay is also pretty bad considering this is the legal field

Recognize the achievements of employees (and the firm) rather than the negatives. The negativity brings down the entire moral!

Cubicle environment, not what I expected"

I worked at Manley Deas Kochalski full-time

Pros

Good benefits, most departments allow flex-time, nice break room

Cons

Dark, quiet, nobody talks to each other, I felt ignored the entire time I worked there

second shift is a nightmare, maybe the day shift is better.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant

I have been working at Manley Deas Kochalski part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to wear jeans, get to listen to music

Cons

Your job performance is 20-40 tasks per hour. Average of 3 talented people walk out per month. There was a fire in the building, and NO FIRE ALARMS WENT OFF! management made us stay at our desks for 30 minutes until they confirmed that the fire in the men's room moved into the ceiling. Then they sent us home without pay. Its a "sick building" where the vent system is so loud that you can't hear anything. Other 2nd shift reviewer is correct: DO NOT accept this position. MGrs create an extremely hostile negative work environment.

When there is a fire in the building, you might want to consider evacuating your employees immediately. And paying them, if they are prevented from working due to no fault of their own.