Manna Freight Systems

Great place to work

Former Employee - Route Specialist
    Former Employee - Route Specialist

I worked at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place to work, friendly teams and there are always fun events going on to make work fun. The owner believes in a fun culture.
    Fast paced and you learn a lot about the industry

Cons

I didn't have a chance at a promotion because there weren't any openings and another job came my way. I miss working at Manna

Make job openings for promotions. Otherwise Manna is a great place to work.

The Future Looks Good

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Recently, significant changes have been made at the executive level of the company and middle level management which is making a huge impact on the culture of the company and the way business is conducted. Service providers are now being treated as partners. Management is now more competent and able to train people internally for growth. The company has always been forward thinking with a great culture but is now better equipped for growth. If you have good ideas, management will listen now more than they ever have. Lots of room for promotion from lower positions in the company.

Cons

The structure of the company has a tendency to create silos internally. Systems and processes need standardization. Compensation is improving but is lower than it should be in some cases. Incentives have been designed in ways that compete with each other. Employee turnover and poor management hiring decisions have been a problem meaning experience in a complex industry and knowledge of the company history is limited.

Management is on the right track to fixing a lot of the historical issues. Having a strong leadership team who can actually teach employees to improve and make better decisions will allow more internal employees to be promoted from within rather than seeking external candidates for higher positions in the company. This will improve employee turnover and allow the company to move forward more quickly.

dedicated to improvement, entrepreneurial mindset, great environment to be recognized

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

these folks do not fear failure as a means to always improve. They give you freedom to get your job done, but there is the responsibility to make a business case, and want to make sure they are doing the right things to grow the business and keep customers satisfied. One more thing, they also give back to their community and support military troops with fundraising events.

Cons

because we deal with consumer delivery issues you need to be responsive on weekends and nights.

keep up the individual recognition programs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Culture and Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at Manna for over 4 years and have found many pros to working here. My favorites include the culture and growth opportunity.

Manna provides a fun work environment, this isn't a stuffy office environment where there's no laughter allowed. In fact it's promoted, along with the occasional prank on a fellow co-worker. If you're looking for a quiet office where you are required to dress up everyday and people don't talk to you, keep looking.

The people you work with, managers and peers alike, are fun and appreciative of you. If you put in the hard work and show your interest in learning and advancing, the opportunities for growth as well as training are readily available.

Don't get me wrong, we work hard, but we play hard too. This is transportation for christ's sake, you need to be able to handle fixing problems and multitasking on a daily basis, that's what we do. Manna is not for the faint of heart. If you want a 9-5 clock-watcher type job, again keep looking, because Manna is not for you.

Time-off is almost always granted, within reason. Let's be real though, if you abuse it, it's peak season, or there's a big project you're working on, obviously you can expect to be working, that is unless it's very important. We're all people, we have lives outside of work, and management understands there needs to be a work/life balance.

Cons

The only health insurance option is a high-deductible, "catastrophic event" type of insurance.

It can get really busy sometimes and you will be working extra hours. But, in my near 10 years of transportation experience, that's how it is in transportation. Sometimes it's crazy busy, and other times its much slower and time to take a nice long vacation!

Offer multiple options for health insurance. Some may want to most affordable, "catastrophic event" type insurance, and others may be willing to pay a higher premium for a lower deductible and coverage options.

Keep up the President/employee roundtable discussions, I think it's a great way learn what your employees in all roles here at Manna are experiencing.

Schedule quarterly survey's to gauge the temperature of each Brand by department, this gives everyone a high-level view of how each brand and operation is performing from a management perspective.

Great Company, Awesome People, Rewarding Career

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a casual and fun atmosphere! They do a lot of fun company-wide activities like BBQs and fundraisers for Any Solider - we could actually dunk the President and other Exec Board members in a dunk tank last year! Everyone is really nice and friendly. Management promotes growth, development, and team work. They have really transformed their training and management teams in the last year. I read some of the older reviews and they're simply not accurate anymore - management is awesome, genuinely wants to help you succeed in your role, and this is a fun but professional atmosphere. The training is thorough now and they've even hired two trainers to make sure everyone gets continued training. And there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. It's very easy to start in one department and learn your role well, and then take those skills to another department or get promoted within your current brand.

Cons

The work can be stressful at times, like around the holidays when everyone is ordering large stuff for home delivery. Our break room is kind of small, but there's picnic tables outside so it's not too bad in the summer when you can just go outside. Also, the floor is pretty open so if you sit by a loud person, you can hear everything they say.

Keep up the great work and thanks for making this such a great job!

Quality driven, fast paced work environment

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time

Pros

Various and frequent opportunities for advancement as a result of continued and sustainable growth, honest and open feedback on job performance, collaborative team environment, small locally based company that cares about its employees

Cons

Long hours during busy seasons, can be stressful at times

Keep seeking quality employees to hire from the start, continue position training at all levels

Great company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring management. I read the other bad reviews and their comments don't match up with this company values and manager
    Fun culture

Cons

Fast pace at times.
    A few people were promoted to Leads who shouldn't be

Keep doing the same stuff

Good company

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn an industry. Mostly good managers. Chance to sample different types of positions. Training is getting better all the time. Some new executive managers are making big improvements. Offers career coaching. Company is growing. nice people.

Cons

Some holdover from former managers, but seems to be changing. Jury is out on some.

Best Company I have worked for

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture is the best, it's fun and casual
    I enjoy the company events, especially the fundraisers for Any Soldier organization. This company cares about their employees and their families.
    Everyday is different

Cons

There was a time when the upper management was not good. That has changed which would make it a Pro to work here now. There are a few negative people but by far, the people are really nice to work with.
    At certain times of the year it can be really crazy busy.

I really like the meetings with the President, and the fun culture.

There is a huge disconnect between management and everyone else.

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work environment, ever changing, potential for growth, fundraising events are awesome, most people are enjoyable to be around, some people sincerely care.

Cons

Work load, management doesn't listen, terrible staffing/hiring decisions, delegation of work is very poor, no idea what management does all day, employees that don't care, leads don't hold people accountable, who they have promoted makes no sense, seems like you are rewarded for poor performance, quantity over quality based service is encouraged, training is not where it should be, focused on quick fixes over long term solutions, leads ignore questions and training opportunities. Leads belittle employees and refuse to take ownership.

Gap the bridge between management and daily operations employees, discuss things with them before making impacting decisions, stop using temp agencies, put the focus back on quality of service verses quantity of people talked to. Look deeper into hiring process. Sit down with employees more frequently to discuss concerns and make the changes necessary. Reward those that deserve it.

Manna Freight Systems Response

Aug 16, 2014Marketing Manager

I'm really sad to hear that you are unhappy in your position at Manna. In my book, life is too short to spend it being miserable, and no job is worth hanging onto that makes you feel bad. I'm urging ... More

Worked for Manna Freight Systems? Contribute to the Community!