Manna Freight Systems

3.7

Alan Meehan

Good Company.

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good people, some really great people work here.
    flexibility,
    Education, The executives really try and educate people and further them along in their career.

Cons

Some of the Executives are really emotionally attached to the history and they're not willing to change. Accountability is not always applied across all departments of the company. Family Company

Company's Senior Leadership intimidates and threatens employees, creating an uncomfortable and hostile work environment

Current Employee - Route Specialist in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Route Specialist in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company does a have a long term and aggressive growth plan, the vacation and personal time is ample, hours can be flexible.

Cons

Management does not have a clear and consistent message, will constantly waver from what was said previously to what they are told to say by the companies executive team. Management harasses and intimidates employees, creating a tense and uncomfortable environment. Human Resources has been made aware multiple times, is unconcerned, and blames the employees.

It is very hard to give advice to the management when they are the ones to blame. HR department states that they understand employees challenge a company, and it is HR's job to performance manage employees. Hard to get ahead when the company blames employees from the beginning.

Great company Great Senior Management Team

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, lots of fun, the work is fast paced some times. I really like the people in my department. The work hours are good.

Cons

Training could be better.
    There are people who should not be leads and that makes working on some of the teams hard. They don't know what they should do and most of the time they do nothing but complain.

Stop promoting people to leads they are not helpful to their teams or the company. Tell people to follow a dress code. There are people who look like they slept in their clothes for a month and aren't they suppose to cover up their ugly tattoos?

Training Still needs to be addressed

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems

Pros

Fun work environment and great people to work with

Cons

Training is almost non existent
    Certain leads and Managers are really holding this company back by being degrading, continually making costly mistakes and not paying attention to there employees

Take a look at who you have in lead positions, they are what is holding Manna Back

Management not in tune with first line leaders, employees

Current Employee - Route Specialist
    Current Employee - Route Specialist

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company portrays an image that it is family friendly, and that it promotes growth from within.

Cons

The company doesn't hold to its values. managers state that they want salaried employees to work saturdays for free. Director of HR says that they can work salaried employees as much as they want!

Needs to be more in tune with employees, and understand their frustrations, not just keep telling them to weather the storm, because they are keeping the bottom line lower.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Route Specialist
    Former Employee - Route Specialist

I worked at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great place to work, friendly teams and there are always fun events going on to make work fun. The owner believes in a fun culture.
    Fast paced and you learn a lot about the industry

Cons

I didn't have a chance at a promotion because there weren't any openings and another job came my way. I miss working at Manna

Make job openings for promotions. Otherwise Manna is a great place to work.

dedicated to improvement, entrepreneurial mindset, great environment to be recognized

Current Employee - Marketing in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

these folks do not fear failure as a means to always improve. They give you freedom to get your job done, but there is the responsibility to make a business case, and want to make sure they are doing the right things to grow the business and keep customers satisfied. One more thing, they also give back to their community and support military troops with fundraising events.

Cons

because we deal with consumer delivery issues you need to be responsive on weekends and nights.

keep up the individual recognition programs

The Future Looks Good

Current Employee - Analyst in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Recently, significant changes have been made at the executive level of the company and middle level management which is making a huge impact on the culture of the company and the way business is conducted. Service providers are now being treated as partners. Management is now more competent and able to train people internally for growth. The company has always been forward thinking with a great culture but is now better equipped for growth. If you have good ideas, management will listen now more than they ever have. Lots of room for promotion from lower positions in the company.

Cons

The structure of the company has a tendency to create silos internally. Systems and processes need standardization. Compensation is improving but is lower than it should be in some cases. Incentives have been designed in ways that compete with each other. Employee turnover and poor management hiring decisions have been a problem meaning experience in a complex industry and knowledge of the company history is limited.

Management is on the right track to fixing a lot of the historical issues. Having a strong leadership team who can actually teach employees to improve and make better decisions will allow more internal employees to be promoted from within rather than seeking external candidates for higher positions in the company. This will improve employee turnover and allow the company to move forward more quickly.

Awesome Culture and Growth Opportunities

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at Manna for over 4 years and have found many pros to working here. My favorites include the culture and growth opportunity.

Manna provides a fun work environment, this isn't a stuffy office environment where there's no laughter allowed. In fact it's promoted, along with the occasional prank on a fellow co-worker. If you're looking for a quiet office where you are required to dress up everyday and people don't talk to you, keep looking.

The people you work with, managers and peers alike, are fun and appreciative of you. If you put in the hard work and show your interest in learning and advancing, the opportunities for growth as well as training are readily available.

Don't get me wrong, we work hard, but we play hard too. This is transportation for christ's sake, you need to be able to handle fixing problems and multitasking on a daily basis, that's what we do. Manna is not for the faint of heart. If you want a 9-5 clock-watcher type job, again keep looking, because Manna is not for you.

Time-off is almost always granted, within reason. Let's be real though, if you abuse it, it's peak season, or there's a big project you're working on, obviously you can expect to be working, that is unless it's very important. We're all people, we have lives outside of work, and management understands there needs to be a work/life balance.

Cons

The only health insurance option is a high-deductible, "catastrophic event" type of insurance.

It can get really busy sometimes and you will be working extra hours. But, in my near 10 years of transportation experience, that's how it is in transportation. Sometimes it's crazy busy, and other times its much slower and time to take a nice long vacation!

Offer multiple options for health insurance. Some may want to most affordable, "catastrophic event" type insurance, and others may be willing to pay a higher premium for a lower deductible and coverage options.

Keep up the President/employee roundtable discussions, I think it's a great way learn what your employees in all roles here at Manna are experiencing.

Schedule quarterly survey's to gauge the temperature of each Brand by department, this gives everyone a high-level view of how each brand and operation is performing from a management perspective.

Great Company, Awesome People, Rewarding Career

I have been working at Manna Freight Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a casual and fun atmosphere! They do a lot of fun company-wide activities like BBQs and fundraisers for Any Solider - we could actually dunk the President and other Exec Board members in a dunk tank last year! Everyone is really nice and friendly. Management promotes growth, development, and team work. They have really transformed their training and management teams in the last year. I read some of the older reviews and they're simply not accurate anymore - management is awesome, genuinely wants to help you succeed in your role, and this is a fun but professional atmosphere. The training is thorough now and they've even hired two trainers to make sure everyone gets continued training. And there are a lot of opportunities for advancement. It's very easy to start in one department and learn your role well, and then take those skills to another department or get promoted within your current brand.

Cons

The work can be stressful at times, like around the holidays when everyone is ordering large stuff for home delivery. Our break room is kind of small, but there's picnic tables outside so it's not too bad in the summer when you can just go outside. Also, the floor is pretty open so if you sit by a loud person, you can hear everything they say.

Keep up the great work and thanks for making this such a great job!

Manna Freight Systems Photos