Manning & Napier Advisors

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Patrick Cunningham

Potential for greatness if top management would get out of the way and let its employees do what they do best.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe people are great, very team oriented, a great environment for learning and developing investment skills. Very good investment process which has led to very good long term results for clients.

ConsVery top management of the firm doesn't always seem to appreciate the contributions and achievements of the people who contribute most to the success of the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to acknowledge the contributions of the employees. Broaden the employee ownership base. Give credit where credit is due.

A good place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsGiven a lot of exposure guickly. Co-workers are approachable

ConsOpportunities for growth are limited. Even though a public company still follow the founders direction

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more approachable to younger staff members. Be willing to follw a new course and not one set by Bill Manning.

Senior Associate

ProsGood firm, good people, great place to learn.

ConsAdvancement doesn't come fast enough

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, good culture, good money manager

ProsStrong historical investment performance over 40+ year history

ConsSince IPO (Nov. '11), performance has stammered, particularly in typically institutional mandates

Since going public the company has turned it's focus to making a profit and not it's clients or it's employees.

Prosthe fellow employees are some of the best, great relationships can be formed. The networking is great and the knowledge of the people there is amazing.

ConsPay scales are totally imbalanced between departments, if you don't bring in revenue you are considered baggage and management is indecisive and basically a puppet

Advice to Senior Managementit isn't always about bottom line, that can be increased by engagement, loyalty and dedication but you fail to understand that

Good

ProsGreat experience. A lot of smart people.

Consit is located in Rochester (enough said)

Advice to Senior ManagementMove your office to Florida

Equity research and client analytics intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people committed to doing asset management the right way. Organized and smaller than other similar companies forms a tighter group of people and stronger culture. Being outside of NYC allows them to do things without as much visible. pressure

ConsBeing secluded from the rest of the finance community can be good, but also logistically difficult for upper management. Work as an intern was repetitive at times but saw opportunities for development that I would receive as a full-time hire.

Flexibility and growth-potentials are limited, but overall a decent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsThe company is very stable and you have to *really* screw up to get fired. There is always work to do, and therefore little room for boredom. 37.5 hour work-week and most people leave close to 5 pm.

ConsThe company has a very flat organizational structure which makes career advancement difficult. Salaries are a bit low and raises and bonuses can be as well. The firm has not yet embraced flex-time.

Hardworking Environment geared toward a specific philosophy

Intern In Research (Former Employee) Fairport, NY

ProsThe company offers a positive environment for individuals to take on as much responsibility as they require. Most decisions are made by upper-management, but there is no limit to express your opinions or investment ideas. I found the culture to be rather demanding while at work, but everyone to be friendly if you needed to ask questions or were looking for advice.

ConsLocation - Rochester area. Also, although you work in groups - very rarely do you feel as though you are collaborating on research projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job. A bit more guidance for young professionals would also be beneficial.

A pleasant work environment where you feel appreciated and valued

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsManagement appears committed and dedicated. Things are in flux at the moment as the company just went through an IPO but appears headed in a positive direction.

ConsSome of the departments seem fairly autonomous and often overlap in job deliverables. The benefits are good but are limited to HSA only medical plans so if those don't work for you it could be rough.

Worked for Manning & Napier Advisors? Contribute to the Community!