Manpower Reviews

Reset
3.3
Manpower CEO Jonas Prising
Jonas Prising

Pros
  • not sure about others but my work/life balance was great (in 23 reviews)

• Manpower is a great company to work for (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for Manpower has been fun experience but I still need that full-time job (in 15 reviews)

• no career path and senior management is very poor (in 9 reviews)

1. Manpower - the industry star and a great place for a career

Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

World leader. Forward looking and fresh thinking is honored here.

Cons

Even though we're the largest us based staffing firm, some people still don't know who we are or what we do.

Advice to Management

Hmmm.....

Great Company for Driven and Motivated Employees -All Others Go Somewhere Else

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Flexibility to work towards what you want in a career. No micro-managing they believe everyone should be a leader and be able to run their day to get their job done. Freedom to be creative and come up with new ideas to better help customers and candidates - innovation is actually encouraged.

Cons

Complex industry that can be tough to understand at first. If you are not a driven top performer you will not be happy there, they foster an atmosphere for people that are do'ers. Most people that leave or do not like Manpower is because they are not good workers that could get the job done.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Manpower - now is the time to be here - this company is driving change!

Current Employee - Vice President in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Manpower is an innovative company that is not afraid to put new business models in place to support canidates and clients. Manpower is also one of most ethical companies around - that says alot in today's market of collapsing giants. And finally, the culture at Manpower is what you would expect at a company that is the the HR biz - straight talk with employees and solid feedback to support career growth.

Cons

Lots of hours and in some cases unreasonable deadlines - nothing that I would not expect of a company with high growth aspirations.

Advice to Management

Focus, Focus, Focus - keep the number of key initiatives to the few that we need to realize our vision.

Manpower is a fantastic employer!!!

Current Employee - Staffing Speciallist in Quakertown, PA
    Current Employee - Staffing Speciallist in Quakertown, PA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Manpower offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), stock options, and much more. They offer free ongoing career training through the length of your employment, including business skills, desktop (PC) skills, and IT certification preparation; they also offer preparatory courses for various professional certifications including HR. They offer fair compensation with competitive salary and incentives/bonuses and they not only offer but stress advancement within the company, often promoting from within. Working as a staffing specialist can also be personally rewarding, particularly in these dire economic times with soaring unemployment rates. This is a job and a company where you can make a difference in the lives of those around you.

Cons

It can be a difficult job to manage temporary associates; the ideal person must have a personality that can handle management responsibilities. Almost all positions require a sales aspect as well, so you must have an excellent balance between customer service, management, and sales, which often are conflicting skills. A typical day can consist of checking your voicemail to find out 15 people have called out sick, 6 of which are constant repeat offenders which must be counselled or disciplined. An hour later, you have your sales 'hat' on and are out making cold calls at local companies, constantly battling to speak with the hiring manager, trying to promote your company to bring in more jobs for your employees and candidates. Later in the day, you are conducting interviews, skills assessments, and reference checks to match the perfect candidates to their perfect job, handling job offer negotiations between clients and candidates. Also in this tight schedule, you have to accept 100 phone calls of employees calling in available for work, potential candidates calling for general information, clients calling to request employees, and clients calling to end assignments. You juggle candidates walking in to fill out applications with skills that you can use, many without those skills. And on top of everything else, after those ending assignment calls, you have the task of contacting employees either to notify them that their job is ending, with or without another assignment ready to start, and sometimes having to terminate employees for infractions. You must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and fulfill several roles at once in order to handle a position with this level of responsibility.

Advice to Management

Come to the office occasionally and work with us in the trenches. That is all.

Great place to work, excellent brand, and values you can be proud of.

Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Not only is Manpower is a fair place to work as a woman, minority, or person with a disability, but there is plenty of opportunity for advancement for anyone willing to put forth the effort. Many people move from one department to the next as they create their own unique career path.

Cons

You're tossed in on day one, and left to sort out the details for yourself. While the company is working on it's onboarding process, the systems employed to manage operations are complex, and business processes can change from time to time. You have to stay on your feet and be good at asking questions.

Advice to Management

Consider investments in IT carefully! Unfortunately, this is probably a challenge that is common among most large companies.

Manpower is a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

They care about global repsonsibility and their employees. They go out of their way to make sure that employees have what they want. Managers are great. Very responsible, knowledgeable, helpful, and focused on making this a great place to work.

Cons

It is such a large company that sometimes communication can be tough.

Advice to Management

Communicate often. Since the company is so large and spread so thin throughout the US and Globally, it can be challenging to get values, ideas, thoughts, and shared info to everyone.

8. Very good company to work for between permanent jobs!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

They have such an established history, people know their name, and they have some very reputable clients that I would not otherwise had the opportunity to work for. The companies you get to work for look great on a resume, and gave me the experience I needed to get the permanent job I needed.

Cons

Each new assignment presents the challenge of being a rookie all over again. You are always on the bottom of the totum pole, and even the lowest level employee has no idea what your skill levels or background are. They assume you are no more skilled than they, and they treat you as such. It can be a humbling experience! Also you get used to one schedule and location, and then you have to switch your whole routine for a new assignment. You have to be flexible.

Advice to Management

I'm just grateful that they kept me employed so consistently during a very down time in our economy.

9. I really like working here.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Many opportunities to grow, great leadership, great work atmosphere, great company overall.

Cons

Similar companies might have better overall benefit packages.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to meet with your team members, they have great insight on current challenges and possible solutions.

10. Great Company To Work For

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Manpower is a very publically traded corporation. As such it has a standard corporate structure making it comfortable for moving upward. Management seems to have a good pulse on the market and is proactive in making moves. Compensation is above industry average.

Cons

As with any large company, any decisions are done at a snails pace and sometimes it seems as though nothing getting done

Advice to Management

Remember that this is a fast pace industry and in order to stay at the top we need to move faster than the competition.

11. Great Company to work for when you relocate to a new state or side of the country.

Current Employee - Clerical/Material Handler in Waynesville, NC
    Current Employee - Clerical/Material Handler in Waynesville, NC

I have been working at Manpower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's one way and the easiest way to get your foot in the door at main locate companies in the area, when you are new to the area.

Cons

limited assignments, when your current assignment ends, and cut in pay from $10 hr to $8.75 hr.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

RSS Feed </> Embed