Manpower Reviews

Reset
3.3
Manpower CEO Jonas Prising
Jonas Prising

Pros
  • not sure about others but my work/life balance was great (in 23 reviews)

• Manpower is a great company to work for (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for Manpower has been fun experience but I still need that full-time job (in 15 reviews)

• no career path and senior management is very poor (in 9 reviews)

Depends. CEO is making shareholders a lot of money, but his workers are nothing more than order numbers.

Current Employee - Manpower Associate On Long-Term Temporary Contract Assignment in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

A good job if you are only looking for a temporary second income for extra play money.

Cons

Limited or no job growth opportunities. Management communication is poor or non-existent. Compensation remains unchanged for up to 6 to 7 years or more and is not tied to performance. Benefit plan is expensive and only offers basic care. 1 week vacation, after earned 1800 hours, even after 8 years of employment or more. Employees feel disrespected, devalued and morale has eroded. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's your last resort.

Advice to Management

1st quarter earnings went up 27% in Q108. Give your committed, hard working long-term client contrators at least a fair, cost of living increase. Allow them to accru vacation after 2 years with 2 weeks vacation. Have regular 1:1's with senior management. Treat your workers like people, not cattle.

Contract Employees Are Just Numbers

Former Employee - Contract Engineer
    Former Employee - Contract Engineer

I worked at Manpower

Pros

Benefits are OK. HR in Milwaukee is good.

Cons

Contract employees are just numbers. When the customer cancelled a contract, they laid me off on 12/23 so that they don't have to pay holiday pay for Christmas -- this after I have been working for them for several years. You have to remember to ask for vacation pay, otherwise you lose it. Local HR sucks.

Advice to Management

Can't think of any.

The "worker bees" are the people that really do the work, and we do not get supported.

Current Employee - Manpower Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manpower Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

At least they have temporary positions and handle that for employers. They are also located in many states and easy are easy to find. It can be used as an in-between measure for a job.

Cons

Poor benefits, poor salary, no support from staff. No feedback. I have worked at the same company for six years and Manpower has not given me any raises, and look at me askew if I even approach the subject. It turns out that this company is closing and after two of us asking about future positions we have heard NOTHING in six weeks. Basically they hire you to work at one place and they stop. They'll collect their percentage and leave you there forever. I have resubmitted my resume numerous times, I have called about salary adjustments, and these requests are all ignored.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to be supported. Whenever I call the benefit office, I have to struggle to get any assistance. They are not proactive for the worker in any way, shape or form. They do not look out for their associates/professionals.

Caveat emptor

Former Employee - Professional Placement Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Professional Placement Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Manpower

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for Manpower. Most people join the organization because they are misinformed during the recruitment process. They have a recruitment process that sounds very good to prospective employees. However, once hired, employees find out that it is a boiler room situation.

Cons

Branch management does not really know what they are doing, they are unapproachable and are not open to suggestions. Boiler room

Advice to Management

Manpower has traditionally been a contract/staffing organization. The professional division was a pilot project to get in on direct hire and maybe executive search market. Senior management and the managers at the branch level did not really understand the professional placement/direct hire process. They instituted a direct hire model that mirrored their staffing model without dedicating a lot of thought to it. This resulted in a revolving door for recruiters who would have otherwise been star performers.

I love the business. Company makes it difficult to be successful

Current Employee - Area Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

Sales flexibility and ability to grow a business

Cons

Turnover if way to high to be successful

Advice to Management

Stop and listen to what the employees need to be successful. Communication is horrible throughout the chain of command. HR does not listern to field staff.

Run Away Screaming

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Manpower

Pros

You will have a heightened sense of appreciation for your future opportunities and realize that your past ones were not nearly as bad as they could have been.

Cons

Lack of focus. Lack of leadership. Lack of direction. Greedy ownership. Lack of investment back into the company and its people.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick with it. Lose the egos. Lose the greed. This company is a shell of its former self because ownership continues to suck it dry.

Don't work there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Manpower

Pros

It's a paycheck and they were always timely. However, don't expect them to notify you in advance if they suddenly decide your position is exempt vs. nonexempt.

Cons

They have no idea how to run the business. The Management is lacking in Management skills. Mediocrity is rewarded. The reason people have been there as long as they have is because they do not aspire to do anything better. They accept status quo. The only time you get feedback is when it's negative an it's rarely timely. I would never recommend them to anyone. I was a full time permanent Employee. What kind of competent staffing agency can't even find jobs for their own misplaced workers?

Advice to Management

Get some education. Attend some leadership seminars. If that doesn't work, feel free to off yourself in whatever way you feel is most appropriate.

Not a great place

Former Employee - Onsite Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Onsite Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Manpower

Pros

Flexible hours and flexible time off. Descent benefits.

Cons

Not enjoyable. Supervisors work off of their personal paranoia rather than facts. They are often promoted based on longevity and not based on skills.

Advice to Management

Invest in Management training and training on HR laws.

10. manpower contractor

Current Employee - Information Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

The best part was the exposure and connection I made as a contractor for IBM. The staffing agency is a hands off institution.

Cons

The benefits packaged offered to long term contractors are horrible. The new system for determining holiday pay eligibility is design to make many people ineligible.

Advice to Management

Allow the individuals with the expertise and skills to get an opportunity verses having to know someone within the inner circle in order to obtain a higher paying job.

11. Manpower - not ready for primetime

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Manpower

Pros

They have access to top employers because the can get workers who low - ball their salaries

Cons

The most unprofessional organizaiton in its' field. Not only do they loose your paperwork, they pay erratically or try to get you to go to money wire places to get your paycheck. Once hired in to a position they will keep you in that position at that salary forever. I strongly encourage persons contacted by Manpower to look elsewere.

Advice to Management

You treat your contractors like rocks. You have no loyalty to them and have no interest in their professional development or advancement. Hopefully when the economy improves, your contractors will find jobs with other firms and not have to deal with bottom feeders like Manpower.

RSS Feed </> Embed