Mantis Technology Group

Mantis Technology Group Reviews

3.1

Mantis Technology Group Principal Doug Turner
Doug Turner

Incredible diversity for a smaller services company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to expand professional portfolio - and in some cases get cross-functional experience (like software developer getting exposed to business intelligence or data architecture opportunities). Pretty diversified expertise across software development environments and database platforms. Also doing work with big data and social analytics.

Cons

Smaller company doesn't have big budget for additional training or attending seminars, but they will make exceptions when training/seminars/conferences provide strategic value for existing clients or new prospects.

In addition to "quarterly meetings" perhaps a monthly "letter from the CEO" to let us know about new projects won or new ventures into different technologies or industry verticals?

Friendly place of employment, if you are independent and capable of doing more that required.

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great new technology opportunities; great place to work and expand your skills; team mentality of solving problems and being resourceful.

Cons

Growth can be stifled due to length of contracts, job availability for new work at times can be scarce, push to be your own recruiter for new contracts.

Great co-workers, uncertain leadership and overworked team

I worked at Mantis Technology Group full-time

Pros

Depending upon the client, you may enjoy a flexible schedule. Opportunities to learn new technologies and always new problems to solve. Great coworkers who make the challenges of working here bearable. Very good overall compensation.

Cons

Historically, the company over commits to client work and the staff often have to work excessive hours and deal with very stressful engagements. Despite some occasional nice employee perks, the technical resources can be treated like factory workers. Zero career growth. Promises of raises and career advancement are not kept.

The leadership team means well. But for a technology consulting company, they lack experience in the technologies they promote and consulting. Communication does not trickle down and there are a lot of closed door discussions. CEO has lost trust with employees due to questionable business practices with clients and employees.

Good small practice but needs some management changes

I worked at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

individualistic environment if you like that; small company

Cons

very limited conversation about career growth; no yearly/quarterly review structure; no team environment; boring; no consistent message from upper management

Make sure you have a consistent message on what the company does and review periods are essential in all organizations

The Perfect Place For Me

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Developer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

Almost Unlimited learning opportunity, great relationships between the employees at all levels, fair compensation, good benefits, very flexible.

Cons

It can be grueling. The pace is very fast and if you can't switch gears quickly and manage multiple clients at once, you may not be cut out for it. Not all assignments are like that, but you have to be prepared and willing to keep up.

Work at Mantis if you think little of yourself

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

flexible schedule
    nobody ever gets fired (even if they should)

Cons

senior management has their heads in the sand
    management doesn't understand their own business
    nobody is recognized for hard and excellent work results
    compensation - they will low ball you, I have heard it from the CEO in countless meetings
    the office environment is that of a morgue, very stale and dead

Be more human-like, even if it pains you to try.
    Reward and compensate people appropriately.

Good Place to work!

Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

Loyal to Employes
    Great Benefits
    Willing to work with you on roles
    Really tries hard to work with new clients
    Recognizes efforts of some long term employees
    sense of family

Cons

Some decisions with little thought
    Recruiting team has lack of experience
    Lack of real "teaming" for contractors on site at various locations

Work to reward consultants for jobs well done - financial or otherwise
    think hard about matching consultants with roles - even in tough times

Used to be a good place to work for experience and networking

I worked at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

Variety of assignments (technologies, people, industries, skills); benefits (prior to changes); some highly competent peers; work life balance; functioning project teams

Cons

Chaotic management; poor communication from management and between functional groups; career management, formal salary and performance reviews are all completely absent.

Work on communicating better throughout the company at all levels. Project teams and practice leads must know their resource allocation and be allowed far more control over those resources. Use realistic estimates for resourcing and work efforts when putting together bids, which could be accomplished by management resolve to do so and involving SMEs and project managers when putting together proposals.

Good place to work

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

-Good environment.
    -Good people, smart people.
    -Competitive salaries
    -Fun working environment.

Cons

-No Salary increase for long time. You have to ask million times.
    -It was a growth company 4 years back but now it is barely surviving.
    -They should compensate more.

-Be more open, flexible to employees need.

Mantis is a fun, solutions focused, growth company, with great potential

Current Employee - Solutions Provider in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Solutions Provider in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Mantis Technology Group

Pros

Mantis is a collaborative environment where individuals work as a team to solve problems. As a technical person in my old job I would never had the opportunity to learn about business development or sales, however, at Mantis I've been pulled in to prospective deals and asked my input. I work closely with the senior management, and feel like I can ask the owners anything. The people I work with were chosen by a strict set of hiring guidelines that demand integrity, intelligence, drive, passion, customer focus, adaptability, and personality fit, as well as technical skill. Mantis is also a place where any employee can learn a new technology and if we have a customer with a need, and an employee with an aptitude and interest, then they are free to expand their career while satisfying our customer.

Cons

Being a small (though fast growing) company, Mantis sometimes has a wide fluctuation in workload. We may have months where projects have a delayed start and other months where they all seem to have deliverables at once. With slightly over 100 employees the fluctuations that create a surplus or deficit of employees per project are immediately felt when we are short 5 or more people or when we have 4 too many. I expect that as we grow this fluctuation will smooth out and the changes will not feel as dramatic.

Open the books and trust your employees to make good business decisions once they know how their actions impact the numbers. Employees generally want to make their company better because doing so makes them look better to their company. I think sharing the numbers regularly will lead to greater profitability and will improve employee moral due to their increased feelings of direct impact.