Mantis Technology Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mantis Technology Group Principal Doug Turner

Doug Turner

Friendly place of employment, if you are independent and capable of doing more that required.

ProsGreat new technology opportunities; great place to work and expand your skills; team mentality of solving problems and being resourceful.

ConsGrowth can be stifled due to length of contracts, job availability for new work at times can be scarce, push to be your own recruiter for new contracts.

Incredible diversity for a smaller services company

Redmond, WA

ProsPlenty of opportunity to expand professional portfolio - and in some cases get cross-functional experience (like software developer getting exposed to business intelligence or data architecture opportunities). Pretty diversified expertise across software development environments and database platforms. Also doing work with big data and social analytics.

ConsSmaller company doesn't have big budget for additional training or attending seminars, but they will make exceptions when training/seminars/conferences provide strategic value for existing clients or new prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn addition to "quarterly meetings" perhaps a monthly "letter from the CEO" to let us know about new projects won or new ventures into different technologies or industry verticals?

Great co-workers, uncertain leadership and overworked team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDepending upon the client, you may enjoy a flexible schedule. Opportunities to learn new technologies and always new problems to solve. Great coworkers who make the challenges of working here bearable. Very good overall compensation.

ConsHistorically, the company over commits to client work and the staff often have to work excessive hours and deal with very stressful engagements. Despite some occasional nice employee perks, the technical resources can be treated like factory workers. Zero career growth. Promises of raises and career advancement are not kept.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team means well. But for a technology consulting company, they lack experience in the technologies they promote and consulting. Communication does not trickle down and there are a lot of closed door discussions. CEO has lost trust with employees due to questionable business practices with clients and employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good small practice but needs some management changes

Kirkland, WA

Prosindividualistic environment if you like that; small company

Consvery limited conversation about career growth; no yearly/quarterly review structure; no team environment; boring; no consistent message from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you have a consistent message on what the company does and review periods are essential in all organizations

The Perfect Place For Me

Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

ProsAlmost Unlimited learning opportunity, great relationships between the employees at all levels, fair compensation, good benefits, very flexible.

ConsIt can be grueling. The pace is very fast and if you can't switch gears quickly and manage multiple clients at once, you may not be cut out for it. Not all assignments are like that, but you have to be prepared and willing to keep up.

Work at Mantis if you think little of yourself

Prosflexible schedule
    nobody ever gets fired (even if they should)

Conssenior management has their heads in the sand
    management doesn't understand their own business
    nobody is recognized for hard and excellent work results
    compensation - they will low ball you, I have heard it from the CEO in countless meetings
    the office environment is that of a morgue, very stale and dead

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more human-like, even if it pains you to try.
    Reward and compensate people appropriately.

Good Place to work!

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLoyal to Employes
    Great Benefits
    Willing to work with you on roles
    Really tries hard to work with new clients
    Recognizes efforts of some long term employees
    sense of family

ConsSome decisions with little thought
    Recruiting team has lack of experience
    Lack of real "teaming" for contractors on site at various locations

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to reward consultants for jobs well done - financial or otherwise
    think hard about matching consultants with roles - even in tough times

Used to be a good place to work for experience and networking

Kirkland, WA

ProsVariety of assignments (technologies, people, industries, skills); benefits (prior to changes); some highly competent peers; work life balance; functioning project teams

ConsChaotic management; poor communication from management and between functional groups; career management, formal salary and performance reviews are all completely absent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communicating better throughout the company at all levels. Project teams and practice leads must know their resource allocation and be allowed far more control over those resources. Use realistic estimates for resourcing and work efforts when putting together bids, which could be accomplished by management resolve to do so and involving SMEs and project managers when putting together proposals.

Good place to work

Kirkland, WA

Pros-Good environment.
    -Good people, smart people.
    -Competitive salaries
    -Fun working environment.

Cons-No Salary increase for long time. You have to ask million times.
    -It was a growth company 4 years back but now it is barely surviving.
    -They should compensate more.

Advice to Senior Management-Be more open, flexible to employees need.

Mantis is a fun, solutions focused, growth company, with great potential

Solutions Provider (Current Employee)
    Kirkland, WA

ProsMantis is a collaborative environment where individuals work as a team to solve problems. As a technical person in my old job I would never had the opportunity to learn about business development or sales, however, at Mantis I've been pulled in to prospective deals and asked my input. I work closely with the senior management, and feel like I can ask the owners anything. The people I work with were chosen by a strict set of hiring guidelines that demand integrity, intelligence, drive, passion, customer focus, adaptability, and personality fit, as well as technical skill. Mantis is also a place where any employee can learn a new technology and if we have a customer with a need, and an employee with an aptitude and interest, then they are free to expand their career while satisfying our customer.

ConsBeing a small (though fast growing) company, Mantis sometimes has a wide fluctuation in workload. We may have months where projects have a delayed start and other months where they all seem to have deliverables at once. With slightly over 100 employees the fluctuations that create a surplus or deficit of employees per project are immediately felt when we are short 5 or more people or when we have 4 too many. I expect that as we grow this fluctuation will smooth out and the changes will not feel as dramatic.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the books and trust your employees to make good business decisions once they know how their actions impact the numbers. Employees generally want to make their company better because doing so makes them look better to their company. I think sharing the numbers regularly will lead to greater profitability and will improve employee moral due to their increased feelings of direct impact.

Worked for Mantis Technology Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mantis Technology Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mantis Technology Group CEO Doug Turner . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Mantis Technology Group employees.