Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Manulife Financial President and CEO Donald A. Guloien

Donald A. Guloien

Pros
  • Good work life balance, usally work 40 hours a week without much overtime(in 26 reviews)

• Support if you need to work from home for personal reasons - really good at this(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bureaucratic organization structure; information gap between senior management and middle management(in 7 reviews)

• Unhealthy work environment in my particular department, too much dust/dirt in the air(in 7 reviews)

A good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI the chance to work closely on projects that made big impacts on the division I worked in which strengthened my analytical and technical skills.

ConsDepending on the group of people you work with but my team were not very close at all which made the workplace less enjoyable

Client Suport

Client Services (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsManagement needs to be more supportive, They are so busy they just like to toss emails to you. They don't even realize the work load each has

ConsExtending contract 4 times then they boot you out. They should really look at the balance of both companies and realize they need a Support specialist in Toronto and in Boston

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many job changes from here at Manulife to Jh Boston office. Why make so many changes if the work was done and internal clients where happy

good place to work with decent pay

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

Prosgood work environment for the most part

Consnot a lot of incentives for working hard.

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions should include a raise in pay. employees need to feel appreciated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked as an actuarial intern in the Marketing Actuarial Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood colleagues, satisfactory compensation, company values are ok
    A lot of people are willing to teach and share.
    Can learn different things if you ask.

ConsA bit boring to face the same excel sheets and model everyday
    There may be long working hours, but not really harsh for intership

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

A horrific company to work for!!!!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere were no pros! Forced overtime was common. Poor pay was part of the environment. Management gets moved around so frequently that they do not have time to learn the business area that they are managing. Do not expect a reward for being loyal to the company!

ConsThe company was on the verge of economic collapse in the 2008 crisis and I do not believe that they have cleaned house and restructured to the point where they can withstand the next economic shock.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplacing Don Guloien would be the best first step in getting talented management. Do you really think that he should be running such a company only having a high school diploma? Come on!

Bureaucratic and Seniority

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-and-life balance is good, suitable for employee who is not looking for speedy career development

ConsNo challenging culture, most of line managers dislike subordinate with challenging attitude, they tend to 'eliminate' the subordinate with this kind of culture.

Nice working place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work for people who like to network.

ConsOverall, not the most professional/ technical people I've worked with (i.e. has a more business feel to it)

Right voice on values, wrong execution

Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Global presence and opportunity (I have never worked in a place that had regular calls with folks in Asia or the US)
    - Diverse work atmosphere, people of all sorts of backgrounds joined the company, which is interesting
    - Supposed meritocracy
    - Peers are nice and mostly want to see others succeed

Cons- Very bureaucratic
    - If you don't know the right people, it will be difficult to advance

Advice to Senior Management1) Show your people they matter by rewarding those that demonstrate the right characteristics of leadership. Why don't we have performance metrics that measure how well we help our team members? How well our manager helps us to develop?
    2) Follow through on the initiatives you say you will and embody the future aims and mentality that you strive for. The company is so large and slow moving and there is red tape everywhere.

Great first 10 years, awful last year

Middle Management (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Proscolleagues, salary, benefits, flexibility

Conslots of bureaucracy, red tape, lack of empowerment, lack of accountability

Advice to Senior Managementchange the culture and technology as quickly as possible

Reputated company, many talented people there

Senior Tax Analyst (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Proscompany thinks ahead, leading the trends

Consduring the change, sometimes can be very unstructure

Worked for Manulife Financial? Contribute to the Community!