Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Manulife Financial President and CEO Donald A. Guloien

Donald A. Guloien

Pros
  • Good work life balance, usally work 40 hours a week without much overtime(in 25 reviews)

• Support if you need to work from home for personal reasons - really good at this(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Unhealthy work environment in my particular department, too much dust/dirt in the air(in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance here is quite terrible as most people only leave work after 8pm(in 4 reviews)

great environment with smart working force

Actuarial Co-op (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsSmart work force in the company. Colleagues are really willing to help and teach you new stuff. Many developed work-tools that made work efficient

Consover time and relatively long working hours, did not quite get involved in the main projects, no rotation as well

Good Learning Experience

Analyst (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat opportunity to learn
    Motivated Mentors and good people

Consnot too many - worked there for a very short time to form a valuable opinion

Good company to work for in the right divisions!

Various Positions (Former Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay, good benefits, 3 week vacation first year,
    Focus for growth and advancement is in investments, banking and sale

ConsUsed to be great opportunities for growth and development, however movement may be less with new reorganization and talent management focus for university grads.
    Strong focus on off shoring administrative roles such as call centres and back office functions
    Educational opportunities and budgets being cut in some areas
    Environment is toxic in some areas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life been Manipulated

Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto (Cuba)

ProsOnly recommend for people who do not have financial industry experience but need a place to build up. Not worth of staying long.

ConsTwo type of people survive in this company: people with smooth tongue or silent sheep.
    While Donald G. is trying to build an organization, certain middle mgmt are busy in building their own regime. Different voice will be shut off and kicked out…

ML is all about which degrees you have, and not the work that you have put in.

Unable to Say With Jeopardizing Who I Am (Former Employee) Halifax, NS (Canada)

ProsStock options, 3 weeks vacation at onset of job, gym, parking.

ConsDon't promote from within, very political, play the game and you will get ahead. They don't like you going against the grain, questioning anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within - you preach it but don't practice it. You have lost alot of valuable employees, not due to restructuring but because you didn't value them. They have gone to your main competitor SunLife.

limited opportunities n sales

Sales (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Prosokay but limited opportunities n sales.

ConsThey hire members rather than experience

Advice to Senior Managementhire experienced ppl instead of ppl u know with no experience

Poorly managed business with little focus on bottom line

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Asia (Jamaica)

ProsSalaries are at least in line with market median
    Your may enjoy work-life balance depending on your department culture.

ConsExtremely political working environment, leading to high teams turnover.
    Expat denominated management with poor understanding of local business nuances

Advice to Senior ManagementMore sincere employee engagement and communication is required.
    Company is undergoing a euphemistic "Efficiency & Effectiveness" initiative, which is perceived as simply an excuse to cull employees who don't toe the line of his/her manager and to replace with cronies.

Worst place to work at this company

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsNone at all in reality.

ConsThe place is full of politics.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Was a great company in the past

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSome great people, opportunities and challenges that made working there great.

ConsIt is currently a very cold working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting go of so many talented people who have contributed to the companies success for many years.

A great place to work to this point

ProsHard working and challenging company that is committed to attain its goals.

ConsFair but does demand job commitment and discipline. Current reorganization is going to limit upper level movement for a few years. A lot of upper knowledge and skill is being outsourced/lost.

Worked for Manulife Financial? Contribute to the Community!