Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Manulife Financial President and CEO Donald A. Guloien

Donald A. Guloien

Pros
  • Good work life balance, usally work 40 hours a week without much overtime(in 25 reviews)

• Support if you need to work from home for personal reasons - really good at this(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Unhealthy work environment in my particular department, too much dust/dirt in the air(in 7 reviews)

• The work life balance here is quite terrible as most people only leave work after 8pm(in 4 reviews)

Enjoyable work experience

ProsCompany is very involved in community volunteering and offers employees time and transportation during work hours to participate.

Co-workers are intelligent and pleasant to work with. The majority of workers care about the work they are doing.

ConsIndividual managers can make or break an employees work experience. The most qualified for advancement are not always chosen because they do not know the "right" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to recreate programs and processes that were developed at the corporate level. You are not making it better, you are making it more confusing for the workers in your division.

Run away from operations

Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSenior management is pretty good. Great work/life balance.

ConsI used to work for operations and there are too many unambitious gossipy women and way too many middle aged or/and socially awkward men who stare at women or try to get their attention. Maybe they need to hire some young talent who actually belongs to the 21st century. It's like working for a gigantic, bureaucratic sinking ship company that is still stuck in the late 1970's and 80's. Terrible, terrible, terrible!

Nice company, great place for acturies

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Waterloo, NY

ProsNice work enviroment, nice management team, a lot of fun events, food courts are not bad

ConsThey should not put accountants together with the acturies both in Fianace, the acturies get far more benefits than accountants, makes all the financial analysts feel so unfair. The reorg. is just throwing more work to all employees, what's the benefit?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Global Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

ProsLots of opportunities to work around the world and be involved in large scale projects.

ConsNo clear direction - but improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more open communication and involve employees in honest discussions about plans for future growth of the organization.

Lots of organization change with little information shared with staff by management

ProsGlobal organization, bonuses paid for past 10 years, salaries in line with market, ethical corporate citizen, internal and external training encouraged

ConsEmployees left wondering about their future, large company = lots of bureaucracy, projects go on indefinitely, uncertain N. American market for insurance and jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough yearly employee satisfaction surveys are administered, no action on recommendations is taken. Management needs to open up to its employees.

Asssisting people to make solid financial decisions

Doc Review (Former Employee) West New York, NJ

ProsCommunicating with all types of sales situations and resolving there most pressing needs

ConsSome you assist and others you find difficult to help i.e. inabiulity to set aside needed discretionary income and no interest to plan

Advice to Senior Managementrespect and courteousness

First Job Out of College

Case Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood industry experience. Opportunities to work from home are available. The flex center usually has a desk open. There are also a lot of volunteer opportunities.

ConsOutsourcing. Manulife bought the insurance arm and is laying the State side workforce off in droves. Growth is political like many large companies, but depending on what department you start in, growth opportunities can be scarce no matter how savvy you are networking.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training classes and promote lateral and upward movement within the company.

Fair

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCompany has great financial products and great people as a result of the merger with John Hancock. Centraly located in the hart of Boston

ConsCompany is still finding its way from a culture standpoint

Positive

Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat company to work for, great location

ConsLong hours, low pay, executive pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Property Manager

Property Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLocal senior management very supportive

ConsNational Senior leadership, inconsistent with future development plans

Worked for Manulife Financial? Contribute to the Community!