Manulife Financial

Manulife Financial Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Manulife Financial President and CEO Donald A. Guloien

Donald A. Guloien

Pros
  • Good work life balance, usally work 40 hours a week without much overtime(in 26 reviews)

• Support if you need to work from home for personal reasons - really good at this(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Bureaucratic organization structure; information gap between senior management and middle management(in 7 reviews)

• Unhealthy work environment in my particular department, too much dust/dirt in the air(in 7 reviews)

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good co-op experience

Risk Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsMentorship, training, decent co-op salary, good short-term learning experience

ConsClosed off cubicles, stressful reporting deadlines sometimes

Great place to work but...

Intermediate Business Analyst (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work-life balance, flexible time and workplace arrangement

ConsLot of red-tapes within. Promotion in the company is based on who you know and how you talk to senior management and not on how you perform. Lots of managers who does not even know what they're doing at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue all employees contribution to company. Do not overlook great employees over extrovert ones who only knows how to talk and present themselves but doesn't even know their job at all.

Financial Analyst

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsWork from home. Good benefits

ConsYou already know who gets the jobs before they are posted. No recognition. Promote people with no work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being less upfront when posting jobs who will be chosen. Employees are not stupid. Recognize Employee performance. Less favoritism towards people with kids.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Communications Specialist

Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work life balance, usally work 40 hours a week without much overtime. Standard vacation and sick days. Employees get Share ownership plan and RRSP matching. Generally nice people to work with. Manulife has a global presence and senior leaders can move around the world.

ConsLack of training, slow to embrace new technology, company is focused on Asia rather than Canada, cubicle farm office.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace change and the 21st century

Large company with associated pros and cons.

Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat reputation. Job security. Excellent benefits.

ConsFar too much bureacracy. Too many layers of management. Difficult to move internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline processes.

Pleasant

Group Benefits Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits if you get hired as perm. Corporate culture is fantastic - very focused in philanthropy and supporting local organizations

ConsVery little training in my department. No parking for contract employees.

good company to work for

Manager (Current Employee) Midtown Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosstrong company financially
    good work life balance

ConsNot a place award for high performing culture
    compensation
    career options
    beaucratic

A horrific company to work for!!!!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere were no pros! Forced overtime was common. Poor pay was part of the environment. Management gets moved around so frequently that they do not have time to learn the business area that they are managing. Do not expect a reward for being loyal to the company!

ConsThe company was on the verge of economic collapse in the 2008 crisis and I do not believe that they have cleaned house and restructured to the point where they can withstand the next economic shock.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplacing Don Guloien would be the best first step in getting talented management. Do you really think that he should be running such a company only having a high school diploma? Come on!

Client Suport

Client Services (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsManagement needs to be more supportive, They are so busy they just like to toss emails to you. They don't even realize the work load each has

ConsExtending contract 4 times then they boot you out. They should really look at the balance of both companies and realize they need a Support specialist in Toronto and in Boston

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many job changes from here at Manulife to Jh Boston office. Why make so many changes if the work was done and internal clients where happy

Reputated company, many talented people there

Senior Tax Analyst (Current Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Proscompany thinks ahead, leading the trends

Consduring the change, sometimes can be very unstructure

Worked for Manulife Financial? Contribute to the Community!