Map Communications Reviews

Garry J. Morrison

1. Virtual Receptionist

Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist in South Mills, NC
    Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist in South Mills, NC

I worked at Map Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They try to work around hours you are able to work. Lots of incentive's to make more money per hour and bonuses..

Cons

Must work one weekend day and all holidays

Advice to Management

No advice is needed. They are already running a great ship.

2. Map Streets

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Map Communications

Pros

It's a great place to get your foot in the door. They're hiring all the time so apply!

Cons

Trying to get time off I'd terrible.

Advice to Management

Offer more time off.

3. Good company, boring job

I worked at Map Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room for growth Company promotes from within Easy to move up Friendly staff

Cons

Boring Long days Low pay Angry customers This job requires you to sit at a desk and answer the phone for eight hours every day. As soon as you hang up the phone you answer the next call, and there are always calls coming in 24/7 - don't expect any time between calls. You are required to not spend anymore time than 4 seconds off the phone in between calls. There always going to be the occasional rude customer - but that's true with any job. Honestly just the most tedious and boring job i've had. Definitely not for everyone.

This job was the worst job I ever had.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Map Communications

Pros

To move up it is really easy.

Cons

Pay is not great compared to other call centers. Can only do one thing which is take a message. Have to lie and say you work for a company, without much information. When customers ask questions, (simple ones like what are the office hours) and it's not given... It gets annoying.

6. Great Company

I have been working at Map Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MAP is employee owned with stock options, pay starts average for the area but raises do happen quickly. The work is chalked full of rules and regulations but it has to be in the call center industry. If everyone is off the phones, who is answering? MAP offers great incentives such as 401k, insurance, pay raises and bonus chances. In addition, they are constantly providing appreciation weeks, chances to win prizes, etc. Management strongly encourages growth and they do hire from within.

Cons

There should be some structure that rewards employees over 10 years or more from those that haven't been employeed as long. Vacation time, etc. Turnover at the entry level happens often but that is the nature of the beast in the call center industry. MAP is no exception.

Advice to Management

As our technology advances so should the pay scale. At some point the salaries stay at a stand still and raises are not considered. If they a raise is given, .05 per hour is insulting.

If you're hired as a recruiter or trainer, you'll never have to worry about job security!

Former Employee - Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Map Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good physical working conditions; opportunity for advancement (if you stay, that is!)

Cons

Low pay, huge turnover (example: I was one of 5 full time employees hired and they only have one left out of 5 of us in less than a month of being hired and they brought in 7 temps to handle phone calls because they couldn't keep anyone) Even a manager told me they have over 50% turnaround! They're constantly hiring. Unrealistic expectations...you're required to use exact phrasing (it's called role play) and if you even ask a caller for example, for a phone number before you ask for their name, you get docked for it. (they review 5 calls each week per employee) Even if the call was exceptionally handled, professional, helpful you're still docked for it). It's ridiculous. Need an extra 10 minutes one day for a bathroom issue, anything? Forget it. Once again you're docked if you're not on the phones at least 96% of the day. Totally unrealistic. I've never worked for such a place before. I've worked for 2 other call centers and MAP is totally different...totally unrealistic...I'm very happy to be gone. I wouldn't recommend this place to work for anyone. Every job I've ever held except Map I've had marks of 4's and 5's on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being exceptional. I'm a good employee and not a quitter. Oh, and my last call center job before this one? Our department manager listed me (and marked on my yearly review) that I was in her top 3 employees she's ever managed in her 20 years. I had to quit because I had to relocate or I would still be there. So, I know a little bit about call centers and the work required.

Advice to Management

Review your payscale. $8/hour is too low for this type of job. I can't remember the last time I worked for $8/hour! (except here of course). Make your phone policies workable (I was docked for minor things like phone number before name, yet a co-worker next to me was told by a minimum of 3 callers that she was dumb. I'm sure it was because she did her "role play" and her call handling was totally messed up because it didn't fit the call itself but she got a 96...hmmm...) I never had any complaints from your clients. Bathroom breaks...lighten up. Sometimes we need an extra break. (or would you rather keep hiring and losing employees weekly over and over again? how much money do you lose doing that??) Set realistic goals for your employees. Oh and if you're not going to change? Make sure you let your applicants know your turn around rate and issues. (We would much rather keep looking for a job than wasting our time and yours).

8. Great Company!

Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Virtual Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Map Communications full-time

Pros

Very Great company. Promotes from within. Great training. Amazing staff. They give you stock and also give your quality bonuses. Meaning the better you handle your calls the more you make. MAP also recognize talent and hard work very quickly.

Cons

Pay starts you off a little low; however,

Advice to Management

Kepp it up

9. High expectations with too little training

Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Map Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Fixed schedule--after training you know what your permanent schedule will be. There are advancement opportunities for employees willing to be devoted to the company and the job.

Cons

You are expected to be at work regardless of extreme weather conditions. There is a certain amount of dishonesty inherent in the job because you must continually give the impression of not being an answering service.

Advice to Management

Realize that there is a learning curve and new employees would benefit from more supervision in the first week of scheduled work.

10. Great Experience (no i am not from management)

Former Employee - Call Center Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Call Center Receptionist in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Map Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent and you get nice raises. Paid training and they are thorough. You get your own cubicle, locker and computer. Management, very nice people and they are fair as well. Nice building and there is room to grow there. If I could go back to work there I would but I live in a different state now.

Cons

You don't really get to interact with other employees like the person in the cubicle beside you...but you are there to work. You can talk if you take the same lunch time You have to ask for restroom breaks, you might have to wait a few minutes no more than 5 min though bc they can only have so many people off the phones at one time. I quit because I was too young to realize what a great job it was.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing...I thought you all were awesome!

11. Interviewing and Working for MAP Communications was a fairly good experience.

Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist
    Former Employee - Virtual Receptionist

I worked at Map Communications

Pros

The interview process is great, those in authority are really nice and my coworker were pleasant as well. There is potential for advancement, benefits and stock options and something for everyone's schedule.

Cons

Clocking in and out is a little annoying as well as waiting for bathroom breaks (not too long usually). Answering the phones may be the most difficult part and usually that isn't bad at all.

Advice to Management

The recruiter, trainer and those directly in charge of new recruits were really great to work with. Actually I'm pretty sure that everyone I came into contact with was very nice.

RSS Feed </> Embed