MapMyFitness

www.mapmyfitness.com

MapMyFitness Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2014

Robin Thurston

Fun place to work, but has poor technical leadership.

Developer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood benefits and pay is OK. Fairly relaxed environment for a small company. Feels good to work on a product you can use for yourself.

ConsMissing strong technical leaders, so devs waste time wondering in the sticks. The communication barrier between the Denver and Austin offices is annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow a real development process and increase communication. Seek outside help if you can't figure it out alone.

Didn't Stay Long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt the time they were a smallish company, there are several people there that are truly amazing.

ConsLittle trust between employees and managers, poor balance between pay and long hours, little follow through on promises made to employees

Lots of potential, needs stronger leadership

ProsFriendly people, relaxed atmosphere, lots of potential, good location. Lots of raw talent in the middle management, design, and technical ranks. Created the industry.

ConsManagement is highly distracted and not always willing to make decisions. Consequently much effort is wasted, little innovation occurs, and employees are frustrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose a guiding vision, cut products that don't fit within it, and then pursue it aggressively and decisively.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brilliant.

Intern (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe work environment is incredible. All of the people at the office are so friendly and welcoming. Such a productive and creative learning environment.

ConsThe ONLY con is that I am an intern and have to leave once school starts back up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you guys are doing, because it's working. I've worked for some other companies and the fact that y'all take the time to have an "All hands on deck" meeting and give everyone updates as to whats going on, where y'all want to take the company and what each role is, is exactly what a company like this needs to be as successful as it is and as successful as it will become.

One of the coolest little companies on the planet

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros+ Great team where everyone seems to be down for the mission
    + Company makes a product that actually makes the world a better place
    + If you are a runner or cyclist, you will not find a better fit... I promise.
    + Python!
    + Casual work environment
    + Weekly office runs and rides
    + On-site showers
    + $500 fitness credit each year
    + 100% company-paid insurance
    + Free parking downtown (killer office location at 6th and Rio Grande)
    + Free beer
    + Free snacks (including fresh fruit)
    + Insane amount of candy
    + Spontaneous ping pong tourneys

Cons- Hours can sometimes be long around releases
    - Still a little start-up crazy... everyone wears multiple hats
    - You will go into culture shock for sure if you are coming from a large company

Advice to Senior Management- Need to hire more people!

Fascinating Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Top 10 Health Apps in iTunes & Android
    - Big Data (4 workouts / seconds and 15M Users)
    - Fun (Tues Team Rides, Wed Runs, Arrested Development Fridays, Open space / indoor basketball court, xbox connect competitions, ping pong tables)
    - Neat Perks ($$ for Fitness Gear, Great Health & Dental, Flex Time, etc.)
    - Great team of people that love what they do because of their passions

ConsSome people have a hard time adjusting when their passions don't align with health & fitness (running, cycling, etc.), helping others become happy and active, or solving great engineering and technical challenges (You don't have to love fitness -- you just have to really love your job and want to thrive). We're a 'Can-Do' work place and the people who end up leaving generally are those that can't don't fall in love with our environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Demo Fridays where the entire company kicked back and watched new product presentations over beer

Fun coworkers, interesting technical challenges, growing usage and revenue

ProsMapMyFitness is the best group of coworkers I've worked with in my career. We're building products for a market that's white hot. Real usage is growing, presenting interesting technical challenges, and growing revenue.

ConsI really have nothing critical to say about the company. It's a fantastic place to work as a software developer.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep crushing it.

There is no better place on the planet to work if you want to help people around the world achieve their fitness goals

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBest team of people I've ever worked with on the most amazing product I've ever built. The list of benefits are too long to list them all but there are some good ones including $500 fitness reimbursement for anything fitness related per year.

ConsSometimes things are moving so fast that some details get missed but that is the tricky part about working for startups.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver communicate the good stuff!

A real, actual high growth startup with great energy and great people.

Various (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsA startup that is growing faster than 99.9% of consumer internet/mobile startups
    A top 100 app among millions
    Positively impact the lives of tens of millions of users by helping them get fit
    An extremely cool team to work with

ConsThe fast pace may not be a good environment for people who desire a high amount of structure.

An amazing company built by amazing people!

Pros$500 for fitness apparel/gym membership/ski pass/you pick. CEO is a true visionary and an amazing person - he really cares about his employees and I consider myself lucky to work alongside him. MapMyFitness (as a brand) is something that I personally believe in, and I'm grateful that I'm to work for a company where I can seamlessly marry my skill set and my passion for being active.

ConsStill in a bit of a startup mode, everyone tends to wear a lot of hats. If you're someone who likes to take the ball and run with it, you'll do really well here! If you simply want to punch the clock, it's might not be the best fit.

Worked for MapMyFitness? Contribute to the Community!