MapMyFitness

Updated December 7, 2014
Updated December 7, 2014
3.7

Robin Thurston

There is no better place on the planet to work if you want to help people around the world achieve their fitness goals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Best team of people I've ever worked with on the most amazing product I've ever built. The list of benefits are too long to list them all but there are some good ones including $500 fitness reimbursement for anything fitness related per year.

Cons

Sometimes things are moving so fast that some details get missed but that is the tricky part about working for startups.

Over communicate the good stuff!

A real, actual high growth startup with great energy and great people.

Current Employee - Various in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Various in Denver, CO

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A startup that is growing faster than 99.9% of consumer internet/mobile startups
    A top 100 app among millions
    Positively impact the lives of tens of millions of users by helping them get fit
    An extremely cool team to work with

Cons

The fast pace may not be a good environment for people who desire a high amount of structure.

An amazing company built by amazing people!

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

$500 for fitness apparel/gym membership/ski pass/you pick. CEO is a true visionary and an amazing person - he really cares about his employees and I consider myself lucky to work alongside him. MapMyFitness (as a brand) is something that I personally believe in, and I'm grateful that I'm to work for a company where I can seamlessly marry my skill set and my passion for being active.

Cons

Still in a bit of a startup mode, everyone tends to wear a lot of hats. If you're someone who likes to take the ball and run with it, you'll do really well here! If you simply want to punch the clock, it's might not be the best fit.

A start-up that had promise...

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Company pays for the monthly medical + dental benefits for the employee (dependents are the responsibility of the employee).

$500 annual allowance for health/fitness products/services.

Casual office environment.

Was an early player in the mobile fitness mapping field.

Cons

Like all start-ups, you roll the dice. However, the fitness app space is now very crowded and competitors (i.e. Nike+, Strava, Runkeeper, Endomondo, Garmin Connect, Daily Mile etc.) have built better mousetraps.

Too little, too late on bug squashes and getting new features to work properly which IMO lead to bad user experiences and thus has greatly slowed down the growth of new or repeat users.

You should have sold the company in 2012.

If you like a quiet, boring place to work....

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

The office is downtown - close to lots of cool stuff! The staff is predominately young people, and they seem to love what they do. The company gives you a $500 credit for any health/fitness related purchases you make while employed. The CEO is a super chill guy.

Cons

The atmosphere in the office is strange. its SO QUIET 90% of the time. Everybody is plugged in to their music, which is fine, but nobody really talks unless their in a meeting. I guess if you want to work with a bunch of quiet coders and programmers then this is the place for you!

Cool App. Unsecured Company. (Layoffs)

Former Employee - - in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - - in Denver, CO

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Cool Mobile App. Use to love to Ride

Cons

in the last 4 months, MapMyFitness has had some layoffs. Not a very secured company to work for.

CEO is very disrespectful.

Cool Product. But not the best company to work for. I've worked at better start ups.

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Mobile and Web platform. Product is going in a good direction. Decent compensation.

Cons

Culture wasn't the greatest for a designer. Development driven company. Designers and UX Designers had a difficult time trying to communicate to the dev, product teams and stakeholders. So basically, no creative or collaboration with the designers.

When I first started, the biggest turn over were the developers. Up until Mid 2012, the biggest turn over have been the designers.

As a designer, there is no room for growth. I would suggest if you are a JR Designer, you have the opportunity to grow. Senior Level Designers, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

The company did require 110% everyday (which is fine), but work/life balance was an issue at first when I started. That all changed when a new CEO was brought on board the summer of 2011. As of Sept 2012, that CEO has moved on.

Overall, difficult place to work if you are a designer.

Over all, there are some decent senior managers and VPs. I would recommend chilling on the egos, way to much of that. Overall a bunch of good people. The Board should look into the overall Senior Management team and VPs. Some members of that team were really disrespectful to other employees. Starting from the top.

Fun, creative and collaborative company!

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MapMyFitness has a great web and mobile platform. The company has a fun energetic vibe from the top management down. I loved the creativity and openness of management to new ideas. One of favorite jobs in my career so far!

Cons

You are expected to put 110% into every day on the job! Sometimes that can filter over into working late or working on projects over the weekend, but they really strive to respect your work life/balance.