Mapco Express Reviews

CEO

1. Lots of work and not much pay

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Clear expectations Good manager training program

Cons

Managers are not paid well Labor budgets are extremely tight so managers work all the time

Advice to Management

More labor dollars to allow managers to have lives outside the store

RUN! RUN! RUN!

I worked at Mapco Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to interact with customers.

Cons

Co-workers do not clean up after themselves. The manager gives products away, this makes the inventory short and the whole staff pays. Maximum work for minimal pay. No flexibility in the scheduling. Have to go to work sick. If you are a hard worker, you will do your job plus the job of the coworkers who are lazy.

Advice to Management

Watch rapid eye on your managers, not just your employees. Managers need to be more strict on the lazy employees (there are too many friendships and not enough working relationships, you cant always be your employees friend, you have to be their boss first). Listen to the little people who work for you, we know what is really going on.

Great test of my ability to hold my tongue.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

Pros

It's a paycheck if you can cease using logic and common sense.

Cons

Faulty computer operating system and faulty equipment. 24 hour operation with out 24 hour tech support. Laughable security measures and nowhere near enough manpower.

Advice to Management

Fix operating system and equipment. Allow more employees per shift and add actual security measures.

Sale Person/Cashier/MOD

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/MOD in Northport, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/MOD in Northport, AL

I worked at Mapco Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Over time Loyal Customers Benefits if Management

Cons

No raises No Insurance Was not move up even after receiving two Associate Degrees one in Business Management and the other Accounting/Bookkeeping.

Advice to Management

Work on managers employee relationship. Give employee their dues for ideals

6. i go to mapco atleast 3 times a week and there is a few imployees that never smile. Myself i smile and keep the happy.

Former Employee - Costumer Service Representative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Costumer Service Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Mapco Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You meet new people and as time goes by those costumers will come back just to enjoy my energy and smile.

Cons

Only downsides I can think of is the rude ones that come in and you have to keep your cool smile and say have a nice day, and the drunks that come in buying more beer I hate to be the one to deny them the purchase.

Advice to Management

I have been off work for 3 yrs my son is now 2 and im ready to go back to work, but im a hard worker and I cant stand still I find stuff to do, I will not let you down.

Former general manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Mapco Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I wouldn't suggest working there . But you CAN. Advance IF your willing to work 24 hours a day . 60 hour weeks regularly . No work life balance . I started minimum wage third shift and within a year was managing but basically out of the companies need for managers . I got little to no training . Just the basics and a willingness to put in the time . Pay isn't bad for managers but still not worth the head aches . . Meeting good people makes it worth it sometimes but in the long run its not worth it.

Cons

No budget so managers are overworked and cashiers underpaid . Loss prevention trains us to look at employees as potential suspects and they look at us like potential suspects . This causes a disconnect from manager to employee At times . DM's are overworked and can only pay attention to higher volume higher priority stores . Tech support overworked due to basically generic software they choose to use which goes off line on a regular basis . They expect one person on a register to complete a ridiculous task list on an hourly basis so basically you have to run complete a task then run back to the register and this effects customer service negatively . The hiring process is ridiculous . A database in which all store managers raid for potential new hires and if their not worthy of being hired they get thrown back into the mix so we have to sort through hundreds of names regularly . The training process is equally ridiculous and time consuming and falters all the time . Modules on a lap top it takes literally 2-3 days to complete . And that's not counting the hands on training .

Advice to Management

If you want the outstanding customer service and sparkling stores you say you do you've got to increase the budget so you can get more employees into the store per shift so associates can perform tasks and focus on customers . You've got to find a way to evaluate employees for raises regularly so they can know where they stand and feel like they're accomplishing something . You've got to find a way to help your hard working managers balance life and work . Simplify the hiring and training process . Find a way to communicate the importance of loss prevention rules without coming off accusatory or making a manager feel suspicious of all their employees . You guys train us on things to look for in who NOT to hire then as soon as they're hired it's look for reasons to fire them . Invest in more quality equipment for your stores or hire way more maintenance people . The corners you cut effect your employees happiness and effectiveness and it trickles down to the customers .

8. Cashier at a gas station

I worked at Mapco Express part-time

Pros

Don't know of any reason that I would give to work at this place. This company does not care for its employees.

Cons

Personal safety is compromised, very low rate of pay. Management is very weak and no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Hire people that actually know to manage a place of business.

9. Robbed at gunpoint

Pros

I have a great manager that works hard to keep his store clean, his employees happy, and really cares.

Cons

When I was robbed at gunpoint the regional manager came in and counted the safe before he even asked me how I was doing . They were more concerned about their money then me. They will not replace my things that were stolen, I was given no days off to try and deal with a gun to my head. All for 40.00 and Newports

Advice to Management

Time to start caring about your employees! We are the faces they seem we are the ones that have to deal with the crap. Most people that come in are great. Learn how to deal with things like this.

10. Tough, underpaid job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

It's a job that pays the bills, some of them.

Cons

It's a hard job with too many responsibilities for the amount paid/

Store Manager

Pros

A place to go to everyday and receive steady income.

Cons

Old boys club; limited upward mobility for minorities. No work life balance, unrealistic goals, nothing you do is enough. Total disconnect from upper management and forget about getting support from "Tech Support" with the most outdated ERP system.

Advice to Management

Start all over! And of course, GO TO HELL!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed