Mapco Express

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

OVERWORKED

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSalary was exceptional. Benefits and vacation excellent. Personal growth. Learned the business.

ConsExcessively long hours(60+/week), low labor budget, no work-life balance, 24 hr on call, unrealistic goals/tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany recruited me and sold me on their new to industry stores and CARE culture. They had a customer focus and seemed to really want to invest in their staffs career development. This lasted about 6 months. There is no consistency in culture. First, it's customers first. Then, 8 months into position, I have a Division Director tell me "we can give mediocre to poor customer service. It doesn't matter. We are here to make money". WOW.

There was no support from a career development standpoint. Those who want to be promoted are put through ridiculous amounts of hoops to jump through. ONE person picks a handful of candidates, per year, that may (or may not) take next steps to moving up. Then, the candidate is put through hours upon hours of scrutiny by this ONE person. They come into your store at 6am and stay about 10-12 hours. They dissect every single aspect of the manager, the staff, controllables and non-controllables, etc. If even one aspect of the store isn't at 100%, the process starts all over again. It is shear insanity. I have never seen anything like it. Process can take months, if it ever happens at all. Kicker....you cannot and will not ever be promoted in this company unless you have this process successfully completed. And then, lets hope the manager of training even replies to emails in order to set up the above visits. What's a bigger joke, the ones who are already certified mangers, are constantly breaking policy and bending the rules.

Labor....wow. I could go on and on. Simply put...they cut labor hours regularly. No regard for the GM work-life balance. No thought for the extra workload. No concern for the horrible customer service due to long lines. It makes no difference if your store is making money or not. The labor is based on a 'module' not the individual stores needs or business.

Turnover. I had three District Managers in 11 months. Ouch. I watched good store managers/leaders get pushed out constantly. I witnessed managers being worked to the point that their faces physically aged in a matter of months. The working conditions are sub- standard. No one gets breaks.

Task Schedule. Lets see how many tasks we can pile up on our employees and then counsel them and tell them how horrible they are because they couldn't get everything completed during their shift. Who cares that there are two cashiers and a manager on three registers and lines are still out the doors. Lets cut labor hours again and make more money and work our people harder. Then, lets send corporate in for a visit and be told there are 10 cigarette butts in the parking lot and a piece of toilet paper on the bathroom floor or a finger print on a cooler door. THIS IS MAPCO leadership.

On a happy note, I was paid extremely well, had great vacation time and health benefits. In the beginning, the culture was positive.

It's sad. I actually loved this company and they had 100% buy-in from me.

Always in flux

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun, dynamic place to work.

ConsUpper management always in flux. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to gain some consistency in operation.

Hard work, only sometimes worth it

Store Manager (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsMapco provides a great product for our customers. The stores are focused on delivering great service and great prices.

ConsThis is the first time in my career that I have worked for a company where the people at HQ were so far removed from the people in the field. HQ truly has no idea what is going on at an operational level. To say that there is a disconnect in communication would be a gross understatement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the people in the field are the people who will be executing your ideas. Make sure your share your plans with the field prior to implementing them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store mgr more than 5 yrs

Store Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWhen first started there was good company. Customers that you build relationships with.

ConsUpper mgmt as far as DM and up need to take seminar classes and learn how to treat your employees. This why you can't keep employees, if you don't care about them why do you think they will care about their job. Stop pouring your money into just your mega stores, and get your butts out there and be some help to your mgrs that bust their assets for you. And remember you are convenience store. People want in and out not harassed and stand in long lines. And in this day and age people aren't going to work for 8.00 hr and put up with the crap. Could go on and on but live and learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening! Treat people right! Sorry there aren't any pro's anymore.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

good place to work, for retail beginners.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Chatsworth, GA

Prosexcellent hours, nice management, easy to develop work/life balance, holiday pay which is basically the same as overtime pay + 50%, customers are usually friendly, long lasting customer friendships.

Consminimum wage(7.25), nearly no raises after 2 years of faithful service, management is extremely variable from store to store, I have worked with some that were brutal,

Advice to Senior Managementgive raises more often, people with family cannot live on your salary.

Wonderful if i could go back I would

Cashier (Current Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsWonderful management great people to work with good location wonderful hours couldnt ask for any more

ConsI dont think that there are any cons to working for mapco I loved my experience

Crazy year

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was true team work within our group. It made the job worthwhile

ConsLong hours, mid level leadership didn't listen and did not work well with others.

Lots of long hours, but rewarding

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSalary, training and development and autonomy to make independent decisions

ConsExtremely long hours....minimum 50-60 hrs/ week

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more financial support for labor

Learnt a lot about retail industry,

ProsNice people and my project manager always try to transfer me his knowledge to me.

ConsWish could involve in more projects and get certain training about programming.

Management is Seriously Flawed

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Owens Cross Roads, AL

ProsThe only pros were the steady paycheck and I really enjoyed interacting with customers. I had a lot of regulars that I liked seeing.

ConsFirst and second shift blame everything on third, manager runs the store like nothing else matters but her.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should try giving a little leeway to your hard working employees. My manager missed weeks of work to take care of her fiance I situation involving my fiance and the hospital, I was fired. Also, I had an accident on the job, and was denied an accident report. I ended up spending time in the hospital due to this accident, and now have a ridiculous amount of medical bills that I can't pay due to being denied the opportunity to fill out a simple accident report. My advice? Keep an eye on your store managers, because they might be the reason you can't keep good employees!

Worked for Mapco Express? Contribute to the Community!