Mapei Reviews

Updated February 2, 2015
16 reviews filtered by
3.1
Giorgio Squinzi

1. Good many people to work with. They make to feel you are family from the very first day on the job

I have been working at Mapei full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mapei believes in training to improve yourself though both onsite and off. Taking classes in computers, customer relations, dealing with people, new product seminars... etc. Most managers don't try to micro-manage. They are very trusting as long long as things get done on time.

Cons

Don't always see the hard work and effort you put into doing your job. Long hours, traveling, working on weekends, being away from home 3-4 days a week. I am salaried so no over time.
    Promote people who have little or no prior knowledge of what their new job entails.

Advice to Management

Become more aware of how your job skills effects others you work with. Just because you have a title doesn't make you any smarter than others.

Work a lot of hours 3rd shift and experienced racism on the job.

I worked at Mapei

Pros

Plenty of hours and overtime

Cons

Being around chemicals all day.

Advice to Management

need to be more diverse

3. Great Foundational Work Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Mapei full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very corporate attitude. Rules are followed to the letter. Stable work environment with little chance of being laid off or terminated.

Cons

Lack of a career change. While better paying positions may become available the chances of an employee moving up are really slim to none unless you're well liked and well connected within the organization.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing preconceptions guide and dictate how employees are judged for promotions!

Interesting

I have been working at Mapei

Pros

The benefits package is very good.

Cons

They are known for paying low salaries.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. Worldwide success. Domestic nightmare.

I worked at Mapei

Pros

Great products with endless innovation.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate resources and providing timely customer needs resulting in delayed execution and disappointed customers.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep talent and avoid elementary office politics.

7. overall ok, safety getting better

I have been working at Mapei

Pros

Overtime was plentiful, sometimes too much

Cons

safety was a con, work in progress

Very Poor Management - A lot of favoritism

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech III in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech III in Garland, TX

I have been working at Mapei full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The very good thing that Mapei in Garland, TX offers is the health care and 401 K plan.
    Mapei is also very stable company which did not suffered that much during the economic recession in 2008. Mapei still growing and have a huge sale all over the world.

Cons

Mapei management is entirely focused in production more than in they employees safety, life balance, work schedule, health condition, family issues, and other things related to the well being of the entire production and maintenance personnel. It is shame that 70% or more of their employees does not speak English and company does not care in offer them English classes. All those English speaking people need to understand their language or have a translator to be able to communicate with them.
    From unit manager,supervisors and other managers all of them does not care about the chemical dust and fumes dispensed in the atmosphere. They have machines running specially to move some percentage of these chemicals from the building and dispense it to the atmosphere outside of the building.
    Some employee use dust mask even when working with vapors like ammonia and other dangerous and similar chemicals. They are not trained that mask for dust will not filter fumes and vapors from other chemicals
     All those managers care about is save money to the company and make favoritism.
    Back in 2010 unit manager sent a memo to all employees saying that they should be thankful because the company is giving them job and place to work. - Out there, he said, other companies are cutting employees and reducing work hours. - Be glad because we are giving you a place to work. This was exactly the words of his memo.

Advice to Management

Managers; you guys must understand that we are humans and you guys are not special than us.
    Stop arrogance and value more your employees not matter what they do. Don't make your employees working at 125 F during the summer and at 9 F during the winter . Don't try to makeup that you are good given them powder Gatorade as a thirst remover. We are not stupid as you believe. Hire a real HR personnel and not a person that make favoritism for those that speak her language. Want to save money? fire those excessive number of "managers" that you have in a small plant as in Garland. Your chain of commands have more people than necessary.

Mapei Response

Feb 26, 2013Public Relations Specialist

Three concerns involving safety and environment expressed on the Glassdoor website regarding plant safety at MAPEI’s Garland site merit a response and explanation.

One concern involves a
    ... More

Smallish, nimble organization

Former Employee - Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Deerfield Beach, FL

I worked at Mapei full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, including educational assistance and 401(k).

Cons

Limited growth at corporate level.

Will Mapei in Dallas suffer the same fate as Dal-tile in Dallas, similarities rear there ugly head.

Current Employee - Maint Tech. in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Maint Tech. in Garland, TX

I have been working at Mapei

Pros

Pay in Maintenance is fair to good, and they are fair about there scheduling conflicts with personal life within reason. Benefits are competetive at best! nothing special.

Cons

The leadership is: "shall we say,... Lacking" The leadership is very inexperienced, and relies on uneducated opinions by novice supervisors with little experience. I had a previous employer that ran the exact same way, and they just laid off the last of there employees. I hope the fate of the Texas work force doesn't rest on these poor decisions. And suffers the fate of Dal-Tile.

Advice to Management

Take a more active role in spotting talent among your staff, instead of hiding them. Stop worring about someone taking your jobs, because more often than not, you are so pre-occupied with it, that's when someone has the door open to slip into your job; and show your incompetance. Be aware of all your peoples talents, progress, and attributes. I didn't use to be a fan of micro-managing, but in todays world, That is the best job security. If you can't explain as to what is the reason for costs being so high, or explain employees strengths and weaknesses of personnel to your superiors without repeating reports that are almost verbatum, or quotes from supervisors beneath you. You shouldn't be in a position of power, and you don't deserve to be there. If you ask a captain of a submarine at sea, (who is in charge of anywhere from 60 to 150 sailors) what is the cooks jobs and what does he offers this boat, he will probably quote to you personal opinion, along with superior critiques from direct supervision. Can you do that? It comes down to this, Attitude reflects leadership. If you can't captain, them you are a steward with a degree. Just because you did four years of college, don't make you educated. I have 2 years of schooling, And I consider myself a well educated, but am I? We will leave it up to you to decide.............Won't we!!

11. great

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Mapei as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

good environment, good colleagues high level of cooperation

Cons

low engagement, due to the market, unfortunately no options to continue