Mapfre Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.2

Jose Manuel Martinez Martinez

Great Company to work for!

I have been working at Mapfre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for, they offer competitive benefits and 4 weeks of PTO a year. In addition they offer lots of advancement, I personally have been promoted a couple of times in my 5 year tenure. I've worked for other carriers, they are honest and ethical, they do the right thing. Lots of changes, but always for the better.

Cons

Not an established company in the United States, which in turn actually is a pro because we get to be part of a rapidly growing company.

Keep up the good work!

The WORST company I have worked for by far

Current Employee - Legal in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Legal in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Mapfre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady bi-weekly paycheck, good location, plenty of fresh water, decent paid time off, corporate experience, some employees are nice. If your goal is a paycheck and nothing else, this is the company for you.

Cons

First, Some of the positive reviews here are obviously written by and for the company (they all have the same voice and show up on the top of the search results). The management is very disorganized and at times are very rude. The company gives the appearance that the do not care about their employees. Their cost cutting measures are draconian, and believe me that will affect your salary (NO BONUS except a $50 gift card). Your job title may reflect less than what you actually do. They are even stingy on supplies (expect to get questioned if you use what they consider too many post-its or too muchtransparent tape - no seriously). Events are awkward. The work is unbearable and company expectations are unrealistic. Training is non-existent. There is rampant favoritism where you can't trust HR. Do not waste your career at this place.

Replace management in legal. Hire more employees and compensate they according to the work product they produce. As the economic climate is improving, employees will leave if current practices continue.

Management Position in Underwriting Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Webster, MA

I have been working at Mapfre full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company reached out to me and asked if I'd be interested in exploring an opportunity. The position sounded interesting, challenging and fit my leadership experience. Sounded like a role I would enjoy in the right environment.

The initial HR representative was friendly and professional. I felt like she had it together more than others.

Cons

In addition to HR, I interviewed with four other leaders. All asked me to walk them through my experience. They really had no other questions. When I asked questions, I always felt like I was getting answers to questions I didn’t answer.
    Regardless of my uneasy feeling, I received a strong offer that I was excited about. I countered (in part because in my initial meeting with HR she explained the company sometimes offered signing bonuses. I didn’t want to leave that on the table if it was an option.) and I asked a few additional questions about work/life balance. Let me remind you this was after the interview process with an offer on the table. I was asking only so I could figure out childcare arrangements for my children.
    The hiring manager cleared up my work/life balance questions and explained she’d further consider my counteroffer and get back to me the following day. I didn’t care about the counter offer. I expected it to be rejected and for me to accept the original offer.
    The following day I received a call from another HR rep who was backing up the original HR rep while she was on vacation. I was told the offer was being rescinded. They felt they had made a strong offer and my questions raised several “red flags.” They no longer felt I was a good fit for the company.
    I asked the HR rep what questions did I ask that raised “red flags.” She explained it was my questions regarding work/life balance.
    So after four interviews with various leaders that led them to make me a strong offer, they rescinded based on a few questions communicated over e-mail. In my opinion, they either screwed up by making the offer in the first place or by rescinding the offer.
    I was very disappointed. However, reading the reviews on Glassdoor (which I should have done before accepting an invitation to interview), I realize the rescinding of the offer was a blessing in disguise. The one thing they got right and I agree with is their analysis that the company is not the right fit for me.

All I know is what I have read on Glassdoor. But it sounds like the culture needs to change. Employees need to be allowed to be more engaged and their thoughts, ideas and needs considered.

Claims Representative

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Mapfre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay for adjusters is industry competitive.

Cons

If you love being micro-managed, this is the place for you. They have the very worst management of any of the companies I have EVER been associated with. They are controlling, vindictive, and downright cruel to employees. The Gilbert, AZ location is basically managed by American Commerce in Massachusetts and they believe all claims should be handled as they are in Mass. which has an entirely different claims environment than they have in the West.

Grow up.

Great Company

Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mapfre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Been in busines since 1931, extremely financially stable company with ample growth potential in US. If you want advancement opportunities Mapfre USA is the company. Growing fast in the US with much more to come. Great benefits and open door policy 24/7.

Cons

When a company experiences rapid growth, new procedures and formats are paramount. Mapfre is in the growth stage in the US and hiccups are inevitable. Dealing with such growth is a challenge sometimes however a comapny the size of Mapfre knows what it is doing.

Management is proactive and hands on in all operations. Keep doing what your doing!

I would never have believed it unless I experienced it.

I have been working at Mapfre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. PTO time is fantastic and great that they have disability also.

Cons

Everything except benefits. Management is very negative and authoritarian. Most adults are skeptical of this approach and expect respect rather than being treated as a child. EVERYTHING is of major importance. Tough to get a straight answer on priorities. Very busy and no direction is given. It's a hold your breath and hope for the best. The work environment encourages mistakes as it is a tense and judgmental place to work. Over the top with negative feedback. Only take a job if there are no other possibilities.

Please take some positive management courses. This place is so unhealthy.

Just ok

Current Employee - Customer Service in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Mapfre

Pros

Vacation time, Paid holidays, Good benefits,Good location, Decent pay, Good hours, Nice break room, caring co workers, large company

Cons

Computer systems older than dinosaurs!!!!!!All paper reference materials nothing on the computer. Supervisors and management who come to work for social hour only! Having a supervisor who has no idea how to do their job yet alone try to help you on yours. This is the most disorganized insurance company that I have ever worked for!

Come out of your offices every now and then and see what's going on the floor.

My experience was almost unbearable.

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Mapfre

Pros

Salary, benefits, PTO in lieu of vacation and sick time.

Cons

Managers have no professional training and can be abusive. Upper management is not open to obtaining employee input. Extreme disorganization and constant changes in positions, duties, procedures. Managers imported from the office in Massachusetts lack regional experience.

With few exceptions, most managers need training in how to manage people. Your style of management is oppressive and does not motivate employees. Management by intimidation has proven ineffective in motivating employees. You really need to learn how best to create a positive atmosphere, so that your employees are motivated by desire rather than fear.

A great place to work for those who do not think independently and do not have experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Mapfre

Pros

Paid time off days are nice.

Cons

Old style management by intimidation, very autocratic.

Treat employees with respect. Utilize the knowledge and experience of your staff and accept that there are very individual working styles rather than trying to mold employees them to the style of the manager. Recognize individualism.

Good place to work, wages are low compared to competitors.

I worked at Mapfre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very positive on human relations inside company.

Cons

Company lies behind competitors in knowledge, technology, etc.