Mapjects
www.mapjects.com Atlanta, GA 16 to 50 Employees

Mapjects Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014
Mapjects – “Mapjects Logistics mobile fuel fleet management…”

Mapjects is a garden of Innovation, healthy place for my career

Senior Consultant IT Logistics (Current Employee)

ProsGreat peers, beautiful innovative technology, friendly atmosphere.

Everyone is willing to help and very much enthusiastic about their work, being small I was encouraged to get involved in other tasks, to build relationships.

There is a culture of support, encouragement and fun amongst the different teams - we're all constantly brainstorming, and exploring what-if scenarios so everyone gets to chips in.

The company has some unique tools, called "drive technology", it took me sometime to understand what it was - I kid you not! When it was described to me, I wasn't sure what it looked like, later through a little use, it became apparent, Mapjects stands to change business productivity by ten fold.

Everyday its been a garden of growth for me.

ConsI like working at Mapjects, so not much really.

I will add, I was responsible to materialize research through spec sheets, data sheets and facts to support my ideas, this was something I have never done, so once I did it, it was a lot of fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementCongrats on your recent federal win, take it slow, and find good people to join your leadership, people who care and will support your garden.

Home sweet home, wish it were longer

Pricing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsFast paced, to the point and I managed my work. When I started or even earlier when I interviewed, I wasn't sure, infact I was skeptical. So, I quickly understood, a couple of things; first, its a younger company, so I had to weigh my risks, and second, management style was different, very off hands, i.e. work was expected to be finished, but not micro managed.

How they work, manage and do business is completely different from a legacy firm. They involved me very early in the process, so I had say and hence responsible - a clever way to manage, and if you did things right, you reaped the perks/benefits.

Looking back it was a wonderful experience and I'm glad I did. I got a peek at a great work life balance, and am better for it.

Working here, I became aware of a the current web 2.0 ways of the IT work. I was given access to good tools, and some rather innovative Mapjects toolsets for collaboration.

I would caution that since there is change in how you do work - a small learning curve is involved early on for the Mapjects toolsets, and patience is needed.

I would describe the Mapjects tools as portals like sharepoint meets salesforce CRM, but easier and friendlier to use.

They were like my fresh gourmet cafe, that makes their own technologies and produces unique work. After sometime, you start playing with the tools and falling in love with your work, you're a lot more productive and feel good about yourself.

Enjoyed the teamwork, I know why they hired me, they really needed someone from pricing, their previous pricing person had done a poor job, so I had some work todo. I asked to redo it, they accepted, done.

ConsI wish there was relocation, the company did not offer relocation. Rather, they let me telecommute after I did my in person interview and worked there for a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very much technical and functional, and less hands on, so there is a chance for abuse that could come with growing pains.

Using a contracting firm, to hire your management is more risky, I did not like the program manager they brought on, his style was mostly bull in a china shop... you need someone who is willing and to learn your process and your ways, or create some and grow with you.

Look for someone who has some sweat equity, that way there careful and sensitive to the team.

Best opportunity in my career, but not easy to get-in, need to weed your way

UI Javascript Developer (Former Employee)
    Remote, OR

Pros-I finished up with their commercial and IDIQ support, I watched them incubate the product, literally saw products come to life as I worked there.
    -They're tireless and unbounded (this can be a good and bad thing)
    -Their business model and focus is "unique", since they have invented their own market, it took me a few months to get comfortable, but then I was set.
    -They took me out on sales trip, gave me a room to travel as well
    -I got to play different roles, this was one huge differentiating factor. They let me try a couple of different hats, and I now know my career path much better
    -Rather than do benefits the traditional way, I was able to make my own decisions and put money into programs that were pertinent to me (I liked this a lot), for e.g. I was single and not married so I got to pick things that aligned with my interests

Cons-I did not share sample of my work, and missed out on couple of good opportunities
    -Someone needs to explain the business model upfront, they keep this close to their vest
    -Sales and BD resources are needed, even for an engineering firm

Advice to Senior Management-You need advertise your skillsets, sme's and products more, the larger government and commercial companies know very little about younger companies like you.
    -Consider an office in San Francisco or going back to Atlanta :)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best value and a win win, worked well for me

Lead Developer (Former Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsWhile looking for a short term work before being deployed, I found work at Mapjects, this was ideal. My manager was skeptical initially, because he was concerned I would leave in the middle, after their investment. To even this out, I agreed to commit a little more time, and it was worth it for me.

Prior to this, most of my work was around graphics, at Mapjects they helped me train to enter UI and UX functional design.

I will say, that I grew to like the company very much. I read some of the other reviews, and I concur with their assessment, my experience was very positive and similar.

ConsI've to concur on business sales side. A stronger manager that can speak the customer language well would do Mapjects wonders. A lot of your value is lost in translation, and someone who can get that across is needed to open those doors for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of sales managers who don't necessarily know technology, but might be a good fit if they're passionate. On the Mapjects fraud detection and asset portfolio platform, get someone form the sales or insurance industry.

Exceptional productivity, the founder engineered his OWN TOOLS, I havent seen anything like this in the industry. Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe founder of Mapjects engineered his own own tools, they're pretty cool, I've never seen anything like it in my 15 yrs of work. As a result the productivity level is exceptional.
    +I moved to the metro area recently, and they were flexible with letting me get settled.
    +I was reading some of the other posts, I think they dont invest in marketing becuase they prefer word of mouth, they're little timid in Business Development.

ConsI wish they would open source some of their tools, but I understand the Mapjects tools gives them the intellectual advantage.I wish they would open source some of their tools, but I understand the Mapjects tools gives them the intellectual advantage.

Point being, if you dont show case, then the industry is unaware of Mapjects capabilities.

The Mapjects Portal technology, GIS tecnology, Fuel, Bacterial Energy technologies, Fraud detection technologies are golden nuggets, and could use some customer feedback.

Point being, if you dont show case, then the world wis unaware of your capabilities

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the interviews, please break the ice first. When you start with questions right away it can be a little initimidating :) in hind sight, I'm glad I stuck with it.

Please dont outsource recruiting, please recruit yourselves, it adds a personal touch. The 3rd party that called me had very little information about what you did. They mentioned you were a start-up, but failed to mention some of your goverment and insurance contracts.

Start an alumni forum please, please!

Best experience so far, and you get to make a difference... some real serious innovation

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsLoved working here, I learned so much. Everyday was a new fun day, every week I accomplished a new task. Working here, was very enriching, and gave me a sense of self reliance.

I was able to apply myself and think out of the box. In some ways, I'm spoiled, because I was given a lot of flexibility/independence to complete my work at Mapjects.

ConsWish the contracts were longer, I was renewed twice, but

Consultant, Business Analyst

Economic and Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, I had meaningful and interesting problems to solve, good clients, impact on the world, and surrounded by brilliant & caring people. I was never stressed and truly enjoyed the work, we finished our work a couple months early, and I was able to provide feedback into another project.

Another distinctive and unique pro - they have their own tools, when I say that, I mean they've BUILT THEIR OWN tools, and I love the Mapjects tools!!!!

I spend a lot of time on requirements, economic and data analysis, this is easily they best toolset, I feel a little sad about leaving them and my laptop behind. I understand its their IP, but they should consider polishing it and marketing the tools. The tools can help visualize trends in some very unique ways, I was able to look for fraud, or patterns on transactions and relationships, and it was beautiful.

ConsThey would do better if they patented some of their ideas, got them talking though.

These guys drink tea, I missed coffee, but the tea was milky, they called it chai... I did enjoy it, and cheaper than Starbucks, but mapjects still needs to get a coffee pot.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a veteran with some connections in sales, someone who can break the ice. Regardless of how good your products and services are, relationships matter.

Invest in an industry veteran with a commission structure, you will see better results.

Great place to work, very flexible and focused.

Consultant - Operations Research (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsA very innovative company, Mapjects actually brings ideas to life, and that too exceptionally fast.

They took me and my work seriously, in most places management doesn't listen, they "direct", here I felt my feedback was appreciated. Loved it here.

A small firm with a bright future!

ConsThey should do more social events, and get out there so people know about them. I understand they're small and revenue can be tight, but a worthwhile investment if you ask me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck and get out more :)

The best experience I've ever had.

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI got to work on what I liked, and came out polished and confident with a sense of pride, so I loved every day of the work.

Initially I was in Mapjects products (Energy Management Systems, Fraud detection, Data visualizations, GIS, BI) and moved to consulting side. So, they trained me ground up on their core products and invested in me without rushing me - For e.g. firms like Accenture put you on the meter, i.e. you have to bill the client to make a paycheck all the time, but here we were more resources they invested and educated, I truly appreciated that effort.

Now to aspect of my work, I came from a sales background, so it took me sometime to come up to speed, and I had all the support I needed, so I loved it, they also have some of the most weird/curious equipments in their prototype/labs. I was able to make a difference, succeed and deliver. I am a "groupie", there was a lot of collaboration, sharing and brainstorming, and these sessions were the core of our engineering sessions, we first mapped out what we understand and went after the goals for the products or the client's objectives. In summary, I liked how they gave me the freedom and still kept me focused - it was a lot of fun!

My horizons grew, because I learned a lot about emerging technologies and trends, like smartgrid, 13514, energy management, financial risk OFAC, PHR, Health Care, Environmental sustainability. This is probably the most important for me, since lot of companies bring you in to use your skills and don't invest, but Mapjects really invested in me when I was between projects, they truly believed in learning. They have some amazing relationships with universities, and companies.

I did get to travel internationally once, I wasn't sure about it, worked out well though, (I lost 25 lbs, and learned a new language) and it was a true eye opening experience.

It all summed up to a very fun experience, great place to work.

ConsVery little hands on management, i.e. the philosophy was you're adults and motivated through work. While this is a great thing, I felt some of my other colleagues/consultants didn't invest the same time I did. So, I would have liked some more "hands-on" management. Needless to say, their tenure was short lived!

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in marketing.
    Polish your products - they are amazing, let the world know!!
    Invest in management layer.
    The owners don't believe in VC, but angel funds would seriously help you grow much faster.
    Good luck in your future, I hope to work with you soon.

Worked for Mapjects? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mapjects reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Mapjects employees.