Mapjects Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
5.0
CEO

A great place for my career, exposure to the latest skillsets, and very practical.

Current Contractor - QAM
    Current Contractor - QAM

I have been working at Mapjects as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1) More employee attention, smaller firm, specialized and focused in engineering. 2) The office is custom-built and some fun exclusive employee use only gaming events, like a starutp has, foosball, ping pong, etc. 3) On down time, they were very constructive, and especially when we first started, we did more team events on longer fully paid weekend event. Which was completly out of the ordinary, and fun. They were attempting/trying to brew a family and freinds atmosphere-which I appreciate. The mini-van was not big enough, so we had to drive our cars, they forgot to comp me on the fuel. But Mapjects paid for the rest of the trip, tickets and loding. 4) The office is dog, pet-friendly. 5) For the size of the organization, they sustain relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication but, that is definitely changing as they institute new process. Interesting to see how the new management will maintain that balance. They're opened an office in VA. 6) With their focus areas, and products, growing it will be interesting to watch their managements roadmap. 7) You work with some of the brightest, most innovative and hard-working/diligent minds in the industry.

Cons

The change in the office location has some of us wondering whats happening to our careers. Also, Mapjects sustains relatively innovative, nimble, and fast-paced and open with communication. Its going to be interesting to see how they bring this to their services side.

Mapjects is a garden of Innovation, healthy place for my career

Current Contractor - Senior Consultant IT Logistics
    Current Contractor - Senior Consultant IT Logistics

I have been working at Mapjects as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great peers, beautiful innovative technology, friendly atmosphere. Everyone is willing to help and very much enthusiastic about their work, being small I was encouraged to get involved in other tasks, to build relationships. There is a culture of support, encouragement and fun amongst the different teams - we're all constantly brainstorming, and exploring what-if scenarios so everyone gets to chips in. The company has some unique tools, called "drive technology", it took me sometime to understand what it was - I kid you not! When it was described to me, I wasn't sure what it looked like, later through a little use, it became apparent, Mapjects stands to change business productivity by ten fold. Everyday its been a garden of growth for me.

Cons

I like working at Mapjects, so not much really. I will add, I was responsible to materialize research through spec sheets, data sheets and facts to support my ideas, this was something I have never done, so once I did it, it was a lot of fun.

Advice to Management

Congrats on your recent federal win, take it slow, and find good people to join your leadership, people who care and will support your garden.

The best experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mapjects

Pros

I got to work on what I liked, and came out polished and confident with a sense of pride, so I loved every day of the work. Initially I was in Mapjects products (Energy Management Systems, Fraud detection, Data visualizations, GIS, BI) and moved to consulting side. So, they trained me ground up on their core products and invested in me without rushing me - For e.g. firms like Accenture put you on the meter, i.e. you have to bill the client to make a paycheck all the time, but here we were more resources they invested and educated, I truly appreciated that effort. Now to aspect of my work, I came from a sales background, so it took me sometime to come up to speed, and I had all the support I needed, so I loved it, they also have some of the most weird/curious equipments in their prototype/labs. I was able to make a difference, succeed and deliver. I am a "groupie", there was a lot of collaboration, sharing and brainstorming, and these sessions were the core of our engineering sessions, we first mapped out what we understand and went after the goals for the products or the client's objectives. In summary, I liked how they gave me the freedom and still kept me focused - it was a lot of fun! My horizons grew, because I learned a lot about emerging technologies and trends, like smartgrid, 13514, energy management, financial risk OFAC, PHR, Health Care, Environmental sustainability. This is probably the most important for me, since lot of companies bring you in to use your skills and don't invest, but Mapjects really invested in me when I was between projects, they truly believed in learning. They have some amazing relationships with universities, and companies. I did get to travel internationally once, I wasn't sure about it, worked out well though, (I lost 25 lbs, and learned a new language) and it was a true eye opening experience. It all summed up to a very fun experience, great place to work.

Cons

Very little hands on management, i.e. the philosophy was you're adults and motivated through work. While this is a great thing, I felt some of my other colleagues/consultants didn't invest the same time I did. So, I would have liked some more "hands-on" management. Needless to say, their tenure was short lived!

Advice to Management

Invest in marketing. Polish your products - they are amazing, let the world know!! Invest in management layer. The owners don't believe in VC, but angel funds would seriously help you grow much faster. Good luck in your future, I hope to work with you soon.

5. Fulfilling work, stable and exciting

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I have been working at Mapjects full-time

Pros

I liked their outlook on work, very easy going and no fuss. I came here after, I quit my previous work due to a constraint I was facing in my personal life. While, I was unable to get everything I wanted, they were one of two companies that accommodated my needs. They had me submit some paperwork, and once that was done they called me back in 3 weeks - which I was not expecting. At this stage in my life, through work here I learned to carefully list and ask perceptive questions, and quickly comprehend new or highly complex solutions. There is a huge amount of satisfaction, when I can have a deep deep discussion on challenges with my customers, before I never got this level of ownership or involvement. To each his own - I know some people don't like to get into group discussions quite a lot. I was one of those, but I have learned work matters more and I feel more effective on my regular days. I have curteous work envrionment, with unfailing respect and trust from the clients because of how the organization communicates. They're uncompromising fair and objective.

Cons

In their efforts to be transparent, and explicit, they use checklists a lot. At first, I found sometimes the information could be presented better, later I realized it was only process. I suggested that they explain some of this ahead of time

Advice to Management

These are just observations. Perhaps the company needs to be more ambitious, they seem very content with the work they're doing. Demos: At the demo conferences, please use a script or leading materials for people at the booth. Often the marketing material is hard to explain since its at the product level. Customers are also challenging, they want spoon fed information, I suggest you invite them back to the office for follow-ups.

A genuine upgrade to my career

Current Contractor - Data Management
    Current Contractor - Data Management

I have been working at Mapjects as a contractor

Pros

There is a personal feel and deep commitment to their employees. A little background: I had a shaky start with their end customer, where a previous incumbent vendor/consultant did not deliver work. I was brought in as an expert after being vetted in technically challenging interviews (and yes I know my stuff, I design large data management solutions for e.g. banks, insurance companies). My issues started when I started discovering a lack of basic sound DW/BW architecture. The customer was not technical and was misled by the previous incumbent (with a few fronted screens and clean documentation) that the work was done. While infact this was far from the truth, the data model and cube architectures were not set-up, insecure, missing meta ref, cyclic refs, massive indexes without archives, list goes on etc... telling the customer PM was very difficult, they seemed suspicious of this information and unfamiliar with the backend. In a nutshell I was unable to make the needed changes and deliver progress and stuck. If not for Mapjects leads this would have been a disaster, the Mapjects team is highly technical team and had confidence in my work. So, to gain the confidence of the client, they helped arrange staging servers with my design and walking the customer through a few demos and slowly resolved the stumbling blocks. This difference in approach won me over, I felt secure and confident to do my best work. Now I take great pride in my work, this was only possible because a smaller organization like Mapjects understood the importance for their customer and me and took the time to make it work right.

Cons

Not much really, for any get together's please don't try to get everyone together, please just go ahead with the group you have. That social interaction is important.

Advice to Management

For any get together's please don't try to get everyone together, please just go ahead with the group you have. That social interaction is important. You may want to consider a more aggressive approach with marketing.

Creative and fun, my branding creativity was challenged - because products are unique

Current Employee - Creative Consultant
    Current Employee - Creative Consultant

I have been working at Mapjects part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were well organized with starter templates, graphics etc Plenty of media content Distinct product lines, and clear brand identity Heavily cloud oriented - made it easy for me to work remotely after 2 week The learning documentation provides a good materials to start/learn Flexible - I mean really flexible. After I proved myself the first few weeks, they let me work from my hometown! I just wish they had more work for me. I have been able to do some cool stuff. Now (after a few months) it was quite straight forward. The main work was based on an ad agency, from a previous summer experience working as a designer for a campaigns, so my mgr was quite impressed with that.

Cons

I had to sort out some of the older content on my own, while it was what they were paying me for, I have a system on how I work, I guess every creative person is different. Because they're not the norm, with their product lines, I did spend a lot of creative time , this was perhaps the most challenging part when I first joined. In the beginning, I was a little frustrated, I Just could not come up with a packaging concept, and was finding it hard to describe. I would go to may website to look at competing information, but these product SKU's are so unique, that I had to understand it. Once I got their process - got with the program, it was smooth sailing. The previous guy told me this, and I'm glad he did, gave me some breathing room!

RSS Feed </> Embed