Maple Leaf Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Maple Leaf Foods President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Canada Bread Company; Director, McCain Foods Group Michael H. McCain

Michael H. McCain

Pros
  • Transparency, Respect, Good work life balance, Extremely strong leadership at CEO Level,(in 5 reviews)

• good training, bonuses, some good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance-Be prepared to work night shift or evening shift for min(in 6 reviews)

• Too many Directors - top heavy management, revolving door for employees - reflected at their Town Halls with minimal(in 9 reviews)

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The most professional, respectable organization and best people I have ever worked with in HR.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional, open, learning organization that values the innovative and believes in continuous improvement. Excellent development programs, though not offered to enough employees. Positive, people focused attitude that attempts to draw on knowledge and skill of its employees, adapts well to challenges and puts safety, quality and the customer on an equal footing.

ConsDifficulty maintaining expectations when attempting to deal with large project challenges. Some leadership issues related to effectively handling transitions. Some high level issues with planning and executing change, could benefit from better change management and use of internal human resources that have the skills and ability to solve many of the issues the company currently faces.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook the knowledge and experience in the organization as many valuable employees may be overlooked based on poor selection techniques.

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany opportunities for growth. Lots of wonderful people to work with and a great culture

Consuncertain future, not clear on executive priorities

Very dynamic organisation, with strong values.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced, never bored, high respect for people, challenging, very diverse employee base, varied employee skill set. People are focussed in their jobs.

ConsGoals change frequently, high ego, reactions to change, top down management style.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A shrinking company without the fortitude to make the needed changes

Anonymous (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros- Very willing to invest capital in staying current with equipment
    - Recognizes that they have cultural challenges

Cons- Not willing to risk a different leadership style which results in continuing the culture challenges
    - Culture enforces working in silos
    - Cross department cooperation is dissuaded

Advice to Senior ManagementIssues are from the top down...the needed change will not happen until the senior leadership either act differently or are replaced.

Ok

ProsGood Corporate structure, also nice employee activities

Consold school, seems set in their ways

Advice to Senior Managementbecome new school

My time at Maple Leaf Foods

Six Sigma Black Belt (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros- Fast-pace environment
    - Great co-workers

Cons- Very political
    - Managing up is a priority

It is great, useful and challenging

Project Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat leadership, knowledgeable senior management, and great culture. Great food safety and good corporate citizenship

ConsPoor financial performance due to high cost production

good employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Great culture.

Consdifficult to change set processes and ideas.

Excellent employer, would recommend this company.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Prosrespectful organization, looks after their employees, advancement opportunities.

ConsIf you do not like change and project work this organization is not for you.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to get back to regular employee feedback to improve relationship.

High stress environment. You need thick skin if you want to work here for any significant length of time.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

ProsWages can be good if you fight for it.
    Some management are very helpful.
    Almost unlimited overtime if desired.
    Pension and benefits are good.
    Plant market can be good depending on the location.
    Transparent CEO, handles crisis well.

ConsAlmost no appreciation for good work, only recognized in extreme cases or the inner circle cliques. Old boys club.
    No respect for employees, he who shouts the loudest wins. Bullying at all levels of the organization.
    Toxic environment, nothing is ever good enough.
    Ridiculous annual self evaluations tied to near impossible goals which cripple your bonus.
    Cold, wet, smelly.
    Not enough resources to operate effectively.
    New management are low balled on wages. A degree is valued more than industry experience.
    Lots of racism in the plants due to large amounts of foreign workers.
    Work can be dangerous at times. Lots of repetitive strain injuries.
    Lazy and incompetent workers protected by a union.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen your companies most important value is doing what's right by treating people with respect and acting with integrity, you had better treat people with respect. I have never in all my life been surrounded by more arrogant, loud-mouthed, back stabbing bigots. I had to leave a well paying job because I was rushed to hospital thinking I was having a stroke because I was so stressed out. Even years after I have left the company, this job has fundamentally changed who I am. I was becoming bitter, and angry, like all of those I was surrounded by; and I still carry a lot of that around with me and it bothers me.

Worked for Maple Leaf Foods? Contribute to the Community!