Maple Leaf Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Maple Leaf Foods President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Canada Bread Company; Director, McCain Foods Group Michael H. McCain

Michael H. McCain

Pros:
  • "Transparency, Respect, Good work life balance, Extremely strong leadership at CEO Level,"
    in 5 reviews
  • "good training, bonuses, some good people"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work Life Balance-Be prepared to work night shift or evening shift for min"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Too many Directors - top heavy management, revolving door for employees - reflected at their Town Halls with minimal"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent employer, would recommend this company.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Kitchener, ON (Canada)

Prosrespectful organization, looks after their employees, advancement opportunities.

ConsIf you do not like change and project work this organization is not for you.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to get back to regular employee feedback to improve relationship.

Great learning enviorment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe management helps grow, as an individual by guiding you in any project you need.

ConsThe work place at times can be draining.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork toward not being only a protein based business.

Finance dept allows u to grow if u want it

Senior Finance Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat ppl
    Good learning experience
    Consistently positive learning Curve

ConsNo work life balance
    Sometimes unrewarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me a minion.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Director (Former Employee)
    Toronto (Australia)

ProsOpportunity for varied experiences. Very strong brand name and good compensation. Strong disciplined approach to analysing processes and performance. Great networking opportunities. Overall, good products and strong Corporate pride in the Company.

ConsTo some degree an 'old boys club' atmosphere, extremely long hours - your work can actually become your life. Often don't think things through to the end which can result in frustration and burn out. Top heavy management structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the top management - to help reduce overheads. Try to look behind the aura of individual 'star' employees and assess them objectively on an ongoing basis.

So disappointed with this Company

IS Analyst (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsDecent pay, many people trying to do the right thing, great future vision, great products;

ConsOld boys club; too many people who have been there forever and are resistant to change; excessive politics; subjective performance appraisal based on popularity not results; poorchange management; disorganized execution; top heavy management

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your values; minimize politics, manage based on results not relationships

The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

(Current Employee)

ProsRepeat...The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

ConsCons

We are not a manufacturing company, we’re a sales and marketing company?

We’re one of Canada’s top 10 work cultures? Do you really think any employee, especially a large ethnic base will tell the truth to a consulting company when they are terrified for their jobs. Don't tell me how the company is being run. We already know.

Quality of supervision is sub par. You have to know people. You have to be a master psychologist. You can't be a coach unless the player has been taught. Give me something that wants me to be a great employee.

When the company started losing money there was more focus on the operations and management side when it was too late.

You can be sure that if Corporate has their hands in it at the plant level it’s like the Feds.

MLF has a bad reputation in the marketplace for intimidation and bullying tactics from Senior and Production Supervisors.

Never use a company's EAP. Don’t you think there is a conflict of interest? I highly doubt that matters are kept confidential and am sure files are read.

Six sigma. This is a money waster. Paying people huge salaries to try and save the company money with an out of date concept. Guess what… we’re still losing money. Terminate them all, save the company money, and put a suggestion box in every plant. If a money saving idea is implemented, pay the employee 20% of the first years savings and you will be further ahead.

HR Manager and Production Supervisors are hired to keep the employee morale high?

They can’t keep people and they can’t make money.

It has huge debts. Selling off divisions and closing plants to pay down a huge debt load.

$21.7M Q4 loss that’s over $60M for 2013! The last three months of the year are historically the biggest revenue generating months and we still lost over $21M! Operating losses will continue for 2014. Sometimes you have point the finger for blame and usually it’s not at the bottom. I know we have a Board of Directors but whose in charge?

IT- Five minute fixes take 6 months to get resolved and then they want you to spend 12 hours preparing a business case to justify it. They do this hoping you will just go away

A Performance Management System which is subjective.

MLF is proud of their commitment to support salaried employees in creating and executing a personalized development plan every year. It is MLF’s most important commitment they make to us and our personal growth. What commitment?

The company asks “What’s my aspiration?” as an employee. Mine is to retire as soon as I can.

The only one that can enhance my career is me? If you are passionate about your career and serious about putting in the effort, be prepared to work 10-12 hour days. Now if you come in 1 hour early everyday on a $50k salary you are not getting paid $6250. Still want to come in early or stay late???

February was “Random Acts of Kindness” month. You could win prizes if you committed to completing five random acts of kindness. We only need to be kind to our fellow employees one month of the year?

SAP-Need we say more? Mounds of paperwork. Can you see the bottom of your desk? The SAP Center at San Jose is an American indoor arena, located in San Jose, California. Its primary tenant is the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. I can tell you that if the hockey arena in my city was called that i wouldn't be going to any hockey games.

I just came from the bank to get an RRSP loan. They told me they have other clients at Maple Leaf Foods. Then they asked me why there was such a high turn over rate at my facility.

Most office jobs are sedentary and if you sit more than 6 hours per day then you have a 15% greater chance than everyone else to be part of the disability pool.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou figure it out. What's wrong with this picture?

Overall good place to work for if you want to be in a food industry.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Kitchener, ON (Canada)

ProsBig Company, well -know, good pay and alot of locations across Canada.

ConsLong and odd hours, no value for employees

Great training

Labouror (Former Employee)
    London, ON (Canada)

Prosgood training, bonuses, some good people

Conspoor home-life balance, management does not live up to the company values

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values you expect your employees to live by

It was a good place to work for .

HACCP Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Richmond, BC (Canada)

Prosgood environment to work in. nice office

ConsLots of office politics, Could be better

"Good values and HR systems"

Production Manager (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosplace company values highly, especially during review time. Focusses people on behaviors as well as results.

ConsLike all large companies, can be cumbersome at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lost touch with how to motivate employees

Worked for Maple Leaf Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maple Leaf Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Maple Leaf Foods CEO Michael H. McCain. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Maple Leaf Foods employees.