Maple Leaf Foods

Maple Leaf Foods Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Maple Leaf Foods President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Canada Bread Company; Director, McCain Foods Group Michael H. McCain

Michael H. McCain

Pros
  • Transparency, Respect, Good work life balance, Extremely strong leadership at CEO Level,(in 5 reviews)

• good training, bonuses, some good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance-Be prepared to work night shift or evening shift for min(in 6 reviews)

• Too many Directors - top heavy management, revolving door for employees - reflected at their Town Halls with minimal(in 9 reviews)

Challenging Marketplace

Director (Former Employee)

ProsLeadership values, strict business processes, starting to develop better HR pay bands, now has a great balance sheet. Good employee engagement and compensation

ConsToo much overhead, poor top-led management decisions over the past 15 years. Doesn't understand how to make money!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild out a world class secondary processing business and drive costs out of distribution network. Need a new CEO or take the company private!

Boring

ProsSteady work hours and good pay/benefits

Consnot challenging, people tend to be catty (dont work well as teams)

The most terrible place to work in Roanoke, VA

Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA

Prospay and benefits, good pay, good insurance (when you finally do get it)

Consmanagement, work conditions, unsanitary conditions (saw maggots in machinery where they make bread)

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open minded with employees and don't talk to them as if they are beneath you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a nice place until recently

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsGood benefits competitive wages and mostly good people

ConsManagement at the Roanoke plant needs help!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new production manager!

Problems are not fixed they are blamed on people.

Machine Operator (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsHard hot work, it is like getting paid to work out. I lost 50 pounds in one year.

ConsA culture of blame. If a problem occurs the way to fix it at Maple Leaf is to blame it on one person, rather than find a way to keep that problem from happening once more.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to prevent mistakes by changing operating procedures. Stop blaming people for mistakes, and use the mistakes as opportunities to fix a problem in production. I saw the same mistakes occur on all seven production lines over and over during my year. No changes in operating procedures ever occurred, but many employees were blamed for the recurring mistakes.
    Also senior management at the Roanoke Plant did not live up to the companies core values.

The most professional, respectable organization and best people I have ever worked with in HR.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsProfessional, open, learning organization that values the innovative and believes in continuous improvement. Excellent development programs, though not offered to enough employees. Positive, people focused attitude that attempts to draw on knowledge and skill of its employees, adapts well to challenges and puts safety, quality and the customer on an equal footing.

ConsDifficulty maintaining expectations when attempting to deal with large project challenges. Some leadership issues related to effectively handling transitions. Some high level issues with planning and executing change, could benefit from better change management and use of internal human resources that have the skills and ability to solve many of the issues the company currently faces.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't overlook the knowledge and experience in the organization as many valuable employees may be overlooked based on poor selection techniques.

Great place to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany opportunities for growth. Lots of wonderful people to work with and a great culture

Consuncertain future, not clear on executive priorities

Very dynamic organisation, with strong values.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced, never bored, high respect for people, challenging, very diverse employee base, varied employee skill set. People are focussed in their jobs.

ConsGoals change frequently, high ego, reactions to change, top down management style.

A shrinking company without the fortitude to make the needed changes

Anonymous (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros- Very willing to invest capital in staying current with equipment
    - Recognizes that they have cultural challenges

Cons- Not willing to risk a different leadership style which results in continuing the culture challenges
    - Culture enforces working in silos
    - Cross department cooperation is dissuaded

Advice to Senior ManagementIssues are from the top down...the needed change will not happen until the senior leadership either act differently or are replaced.

Ok

ProsGood Corporate structure, also nice employee activities

Consold school, seems set in their ways

Advice to Senior Managementbecome new school

Worked for Maple Leaf Foods? Contribute to the Community!