Maple Leaf Foods Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Maple Leaf Foods President, CEO, and Director; Chairman, Canada Bread Company; Director, McCain Foods Group Michael H. McCain
Michael H. McCain

Pros
  • good training, bonuses, some good people (in 7 reviews)

• Great people who care about what they're doing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Hugely management top heavy, very bureaucratic, very difficult to make change (in 9 reviews)

1. The most terrible place to work in Roanoke, VA

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time

Pros

pay and benefits, good pay, good insurance (when you finally do get it)

Cons

management, work conditions, unsanitary conditions (saw maggots in machinery where they make bread)

Advice to Management

be more open minded with employees and don't talk to them as if they are beneath you

2. Maple Leaf Food

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Challenging, very fast paced environment employees vulnerable to errors and disorganization.

Cons

Too many Generals and no Soldiers

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and integrity.

3. Never tell it as it is, tell them what they want to hear and you will survive at ML.

Current Employee - Sales in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods (More than 10 years)

Pros

CPG experience, you will be star with your next employer

Cons

Revolving door replacing experience and people who actually have relationships with customers with arrogant people with zero people skills. Education trumps experience, values, relationships and product knowledge. Very klicky at top management, all Michaels ahole kissers rise to the top

Advice to Management

Get back to basics, your core business is disappearing along with the people who actually know the business!

5. They SCREWED us

Former Employee - Pork Cutter in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Pork Cutter in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

NONE,find an other place to work

Cons

Bought out Burns in the late 90's back then was making 18.75 an hour witch was good money but they thought it was too much,dropped our wages to 12.75 an hour,the Mccain's can laugh about taking advantage of their employees,will never buy a product from them again

6. Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sadly the only thing positive was that I got to work with different OEM and learn the machines they built

Cons

- Overworked - Underpaid - Bad Upper Management - No proper direction - Too many cliques

7. A shrinking company without the fortitude to make the needed changes

Former Employee - Anonymous in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very willing to invest capital in staying current with equipment - Recognizes that they have cultural challenges

Cons

- Not willing to risk a different leadership style which results in continuing the culture challenges - Culture enforces working in silos - Cross department cooperation is dissuaded

Advice to Management

Issues are from the top down...the needed change will not happen until the senior leadership either act differently or are replaced.

8. The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time

Pros

Repeat...The one star overall rating for this company is over generous.

Cons

Cons We are not a manufacturing company, we’re a sales and marketing company? We’re one of Canada’s top 10 work cultures? Do you really think any employee, especially a large ethnic base will tell the truth to a consulting company when they are terrified for their jobs. Don't tell me how the company is being run. We already know. Quality of supervision is sub par. You have to know people. You have to be a master psychologist. You can't be a coach unless the player has been taught. Give me something that wants me to be a great employee. When the company started losing money there was more focus on the operations and management side when it was too late. You can be sure that if Corporate has their hands in it at the plant level it’s like the Feds. MLF has a bad reputation in the marketplace for intimidation and bullying tactics from Senior and Production Supervisors. Never use a company's EAP. Don’t you think there is a conflict of interest? I highly doubt that matters are kept confidential and am sure files are read. Six sigma. This is a money waster. Paying people huge salaries to try and save the company money with an out of date concept. Guess what… we’re still losing money. Terminate them all, save the company money, and put a suggestion box in every plant. If a money saving idea is implemented, pay the employee 20% of the first years savings and you will be further ahead. HR Manager and Production Supervisors are hired to keep the employee morale high? They can’t keep people and they can’t make money. It has huge debts. Selling off divisions and closing plants to pay down a huge debt load. $21.7M Q4 loss that’s over $60M for 2013! The last three months of the year are historically the biggest revenue generating months and we still lost over $21M! Operating losses will continue for 2014. Sometimes you have point the finger for blame and usually it’s not at the bottom. I know we have a Board of Directors but whose in charge? IT- Five minute fixes take 6 months to get resolved and then they want you to spend 12 hours preparing a business case to justify it. They do this hoping you will just go away A Performance Management System which is subjective. MLF is proud of their commitment to support salaried employees in creating and executing a personalized development plan every year. It is MLF’s most important commitment they make to us and our personal growth. What commitment? The company asks “What’s my aspiration?” as an employee. Mine is to retire as soon as I can. The only one that can enhance my career is me? If you are passionate about your career and serious about putting in the effort, be prepared to work 10-12 hour days. Now if you come in 1 hour early everyday on a $50k salary you are not getting paid $6250. Still want to come in early or stay late??? February was “Random Acts of Kindness” month. You could win prizes if you committed to completing five random acts of kindness. We only need to be kind to our fellow employees one month of the year? SAP-Need we say more? Mounds of paperwork. Can you see the bottom of your desk? The SAP Center at San Jose is an American indoor arena, located in San Jose, California. Its primary tenant is the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. I can tell you that if the hockey arena in my city was called that i wouldn't be going to any hockey games. I just came from the bank to get an RRSP loan. They told me they have other clients at Maple Leaf Foods. Then they asked me why there was such a high turn over rate at my facility. Most office jobs are sedentary and if you sit more than 6 hours per day then you have a 15% greater chance than everyone else to be part of the disability pool.

Advice to Management

You figure it out. What's wrong with this picture?

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a big company with a lot of perks. Fully paid company car (insurance, gas, 407ETR, repairs, detailing) is a huge bonus for those in Sales. Great place to network and build your resume with "inside sales" experience, without having to actually sell anything.

Cons

Politics are unbearable unless you enjoy that environment. Management heavy, with big egos and not a lot of relevant experience, maturity or control. Performance reviews are not based on performance, but on how your department's leader feels about you. A lot of gossip and high-school behaviour in the Sales teams, and not a lot of focus on actually selling their products. Main part of the job in Sales is internal meetings, managing perceptions, and not selling.

Advice to Management

Clean house! instead of working at restructuring from the bottom up, you should start with your Senior Leadership team (specially in Sales). Hire some real professionals instead of your friends.

10. Disappointed at the quality of the leadership

Former Employee - Everything That No One Else Would Do in Brandon, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Everything That No One Else Would Do in Brandon, MB (Canada)

I worked at Maple Leaf Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to survive - no one is held accountable regardless of the severity of the failure.

Cons

Too top heavy. People that work hard and deliver are downplayed versus others who do not work hard or deliver yet their performance is promoted and deemed stellar. They talk a good story about a rewards for performance but who are we kidding?

Advice to Management

Ha ha ha....only if you have friends at senior levels.

Where's the meat?

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Maple Leaf Foods full-time

Pros

Occupational Health & Safety; Benefits

Cons

The software program Maple Leaf uses (SAP)- is not user friendly and inefficient, a single function becomes a long drawn out process, very high maintenance, requires additional people resources to manage. Poorly managed company, disorganized, and out of control(at least the plant where i work).Lack of qualified supervisors. They have nothing good to say about you and they crap all over you. Very condescending. And these people are put in charge? They don't treat you with respect and you are not valued even if you are a loyal employee and show up to work every day and put in your best effort. Doesn’t that count for anything? You are like raw meat, you’re processed, packaged, chewed, and spit out. What do you expect it’s a meat processing plant?

Advice to Management

It is not complicated.No one deserves this, not even the people that work here...nobody.

RSS Feed </> Embed